Thanks to everyone who responded so far on this thread. I asked the questions I did because I've been working through some data and I'm trying to make sense of it. I took the 40 women from SC currently playing for SC D1 schools and analyzed it from a club perspective (note: I used D1 only to keep the data collection task simpler; I hope later to do this at D2 as well.) I counted the challenge and premier teams from the fall of 2005 so I could get a rough "prediction" of how many girls might be playing D1. Then I took the actual results and looked at the deviation.

First I looked at the upper, mid, and lower state in terms of clubs where these girls played. The upper state fell into line with prediction; the lower state was much higher than the prediction; and the midstate was much lower than prediction.

-

Next I broke this down specifically into clubs. Here are the results:

-

CUSC, CESA, Northside, and MPSC led with a positive deviation, i.e., there were more girls playing D1 than you'd expect given the number of teams fielded. Coastal put the number of players onto D1 teams that you'd expect.

The remaining clubs showed increasingly more negative deviations; the bottom of the pack was LCSC and Bridge (in this case think JIYSC/SSC) with multiple teams and no D1 players.

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that the men's side would not show such wide deviations.

So, if you assume everything else constant (e.g., academics, self-promotion, etc.) what you're finding is that there is a tremendous difference in clubs (on the women's side at least) in terms of playing D1.

This makes sense with what has been said earlier on this thread -- during this time, CUSC, CESA, and MPSC had some superb teams that were regionally competitive (i.e., Fusion, Premier 18G, Ice, respectively).

[Update: Version 2 of charts; moved one girl from DSC to Northside and cleaned up a few relatively minor math errors; all trends stayed the same. Only 34 girls were used in this analysis; 4 were unidentified by club and 2 played for clubs no longer sponsoring girls teams.]