Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
SPARKNOTES
SCSoccer.com Message Board: Girls Midlands Soccer

Study Guide: Plot Overview
Chico is a dog and thus has limited intelligence. Chico believes that gender bias exists (although this is not an immediate concern for Chico since he's been neutered.) Chico believes that the clubs in the midlands offer relatively poor services for girls soccer compared to the upper state and lower state. Chico hopes that the newly merged club CUFC will do a better job with respect to girls soccer but worries publicly that it will not and frets over the lack of communication from CUFC. Chico also hopes that CUFC will be a professional club (USSF lingo) run by full-time people instead of part-time people.

thomaspietras is a smart human being. He believes that gender bias does not exist (soccer players are soccer players) but does believe that midlands clubs have done a poor job with respect to girls soccer although he emphasizes it's not for lack of trying. He thinks Chico should get off his lazy rear end and help CUFC with communication if he wants CUFC to communicate its new plans. He thinks parents who complain about the quality of coaching for girls should go search for new coaches rather than rely exclusively on their DOC.

coach
coach
Don't have sparknotes, but these are the cliff notes:

-

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
I'm afraid the picture on the cover doesn't accurately reflect what Chico tends to do when he spots a tree.

(Hey...you edited the picture...no fair! [Smile] )

coach
coach
Yeah, well........I couldn't change the tree picture. OK there. Better? Should be a hot seller and I should get 10% of the royalties, a $5 set-up fee, $20 for graphics, and $500 for labor and time.....
Will send bills to CESA and CUFC.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
why would'nt gender bias exist in sports? It's in all walks of life? Nice sparknote

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
>>He thinks Chico should get off his lazy rear end and help CUFC with communication if he wants CUFC to communicate its new plans.>>

So much for not paraphrasing me.

>>Now...is that because you're insensitive to the issue of gender bias or because you were busy and only read the first sentence?>>

I don't believe that I am insensitive to gender bias, nor do I fail to recognize that it exists. I just don't believe that we should perpetual the bias by treating girls differently than boys (when it comes to soccer).

>>Here's a counter to your proposal. Why don't you, with the credibility and friendship that you have earned as being a loyal NECSA member all of these years, give someone a call and tell them that they need to use their web sites (minimally) or the message board (I know that "inner members" not only have access to the message board but have posted in the past) to distribute information as quickly as they can? Wouldn't that actually be the simplest and easiest way to approach this? Barring that, why don't you, with the credibility and friendship you've earned, tell them that if they don't want to do that you'll volunteer to do it on an on-going basis?>>

I actually did run into a friend of mine Friday night and asked why there had not been communication about the new club's plans. The response was that they were waiting for formal approval by SCYSA of the new club before they went public with information. They expect approval at the next SCYSA board meeting some time this month.

As for your suggestion that I be the reporter... as you say, I just don't see that working. If I ask questions, post the answers, then I have to deal with the inevitable follow-on questions. Being the conduit is just not something I have the time for.

>>What? CUFC is hiring professionals to place less reliance on volunteers? I had hoped that they were hiring professionals to place less reliance on part-time (i.e., paid, not volunteer) people. Which volunteers are they trying to replace?>>

Mis-posting on my part. I meant part-time. They certainly are not looking to replace volunteers. If I may be more precise: My understanding is that they are trying to put into place the professional, full-time staff that will be necessary to manage the larger club.

>>Chico is a dog and thus has limited intelligence. Chico believes that gender bias exists (although this is not an immediate concern for Chico since he's been neutered.) Chico believes that the clubs in the midlands offer relatively poor services for girls soccer compared to the upper state and lower state. Chico hopes that the newly merged club CUFC will do a better job with respect to girls soccer but worries publicly that it will not and frets over the lack of communication from CUFC. Chico also hopes that CUFC will be a professional club (USSF lingo) run by full-time people instead of part-time people.>>

Obviously BS, since Chico is the only dog I know that can type. Also, I think "relatively poor" is "relatively harsh" judgement. Could they do better? Sure. Our hopes for the new club are the same.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
>>He thinks Chico should get off his lazy rear end and help CUFC with communication if he wants CUFC to communicate its new plans.>>

So much for not paraphrasing me.

>>Now...is that because you're insensitive to the issue of gender bias or because you were busy and only read the first sentence?>>

I don't believe that I am insensitive to gender bias, nor do I fail to recognize that it exists. I just don't believe that we should perpetual the bias by treating girls differently than boys (when it comes to soccer).

>>Here's a counter to your proposal. Why don't you, with the credibility and friendship that you have earned as being a loyal NECSA member all of these years, give someone a call and tell them that they need to use their web sites (minimally) or the message board (I know that "inner members" not only have access to the message board but have posted in the past) to distribute information as quickly as they can? Wouldn't that actually be the simplest and easiest way to approach this? Barring that, why don't you, with the credibility and friendship you've earned, tell them that if they don't want to do that you'll volunteer to do it on an on-going basis?>>

I actually did run into a friend of mine Friday night and asked why there had not been communication about the new club's plans. The response was that they were waiting for formal approval by SCYSA of the new club before they went public with information. They expect approval at the next SCYSA board meeting some time this month.

As for your suggestion that I be the reporter... as you say, I just don't see that working. If I ask questions, post the answers, then I have to deal with the inevitable follow-on questions. Being the conduit is just not something I have the time for.

>>What? CUFC is hiring professionals to place less reliance on volunteers? I had hoped that they were hiring professionals to place less reliance on part-time (i.e., paid, not volunteer) people. Which volunteers are they trying to replace?>>

Mis-posting on my part. I meant part-time. They certainly are not looking to replace volunteers. If I may be more precise: My understanding is that they are trying to put into place the professional, full-time staff that will be necessary to manage the larger club.

>>Chico is a dog and thus has limited intelligence. Chico believes that gender bias exists (although this is not an immediate concern for Chico since he's been neutered.) Chico believes that the clubs in the midlands offer relatively poor services for girls soccer compared to the upper state and lower state. Chico hopes that the newly merged club CUFC will do a better job with respect to girls soccer but worries publicly that it will not and frets over the lack of communication from CUFC. Chico also hopes that CUFC will be a professional club (USSF lingo) run by full-time people instead of part-time people.>>

Obviously BS, since Chico is the only dog I know that can type. Also, I think "relatively poor" is "relatively harsh" judgement. Could they do better? Sure. Our hopes for the new club are the same.

coach
coach
Foul! Yellow card for double posting!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
If you admit that gender bias exists but on the other hand feel we should not perpetual the bias by treating girls differently than boys..then what? Bury our heads in the sand?Because we do not treat girls differently than boys has got us to where we are today..If we can all admit that there is bias between girls and boys programs.Then we have no choice but to put more emphasis where it is needed....GIRLS

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Not using the spark notes...

I think in the manufacturing sector this may be called ....FINITE CAPACITY.

There are only so many qualified coaches out there, some of whom may wish to only work with boys.

So equality would assume equal number of quality coaches available who have no preference on gender (as far as coaching... I am not opening anything here).
Since this is not the case and since the parents have a say, you can get the best coach if it is in his/her benefit to coach the team. This could be monetary, prestige, status within the ranks, etc.
But alas, as coldhardtruth said... if you do not have the basics between the ages of 9 thru 12 nothing else matters.

It has been my humble, not expert opinion that girls tend to be more tactically savy than boys at an earlier age, boys tend to be more technical. The difference... is the social aspect as girls tend to work better together while boys tend to be more individualistic. Not until boys get to the 13 and 14 years of age do you see tactical awareness become more prevalent.
Lastly boys tend to take more risks than girls.

Thus I deduced that many good coaches who enjoy teaching the tactics would migrate towards boys as they are apt to have the individual skills necessary to carry the tactical training.

Now all this plus a quarter still does not get you a cup of coffee.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard