Hurst,

Good point – I had not considered what their decisions did to the the state U-12 league. But, I contend that the State U-12 league is neither of these team’s responsibility.

I do not have anything written down from a year ago, but from what I remember, the Bridge FA 92 Boys Red team (they were SSC, and I’m not even sure what their name was) were beating teams regularly by double-digit margins. As there appeared to be nothing to make anybody think that the Fall season would be any different, I believe the coach made the only intelligent choice he could. Why would he subject his players (and opponents) to that? Absolutely no one would have gained from another season of games like those.

You mentioned splitting up the team and making two teams (you actually mentioned 2 teams splitting to make 4, but I am going to focus on the Bridge team now). Other than the U-12 league, who would benefit from this, and how?

The only way individuals, or teams, can get better is to continue to challenge themselves. I watched that team play several games – there basically was no challenge. The state was letting THEM down. These players were ready to learn the 11v11 game. And, as I stated, I believe their record has shown they were ready.

When I said “It seems pretty clear they both made wise decisions to move up,” I was using the following scenario. You have a team that has found basically no competition within the entire state. Upcoming season….do you continue playing against these same teams, with most likely the same result, or do you take a chance, challenge yourself and your players, and play up – older boys, bigger fields, longer games. The coach gambled on moving up. Using my scenario, I feel it’s pretty clear they made a wise decision.

Oh, yeah, one more thing (as if I have not rambled long enough) if that team had played in the U12 Division, they would NOT have been a Bridge FA team, as the Bridge FA only fields Challenge teams, U13 and up. The coach of that team watched and/or coached most of those boys from their soccer “infancy.” I can see where he might have a dificult time just telling them “it’s been great, but see ya.”