Hurst66,
I saw that interview too and it was Jack Charlton, Bobby's brother and former Republic of Ireland manager. Big Jack is a firm believer in defenders who play a no nonsense type game, just banging it in to row Z every chance they get. He said Ferdinand liked to 'play" too much, meaning if he got caught in posession at that level it could cost us. He is right to some extent. Rio does have his lapses in concentration and I would have no problem with playing Carragher.
Campbell is just not up to it at that level. He cost us dearly in the last World Cup.
If you watched the Champions League final you will have seen Samuel Eto'o turn him inside out when he hit that shot against the post.
But if you look at the squad and where we have holes and the fact that Gerard and Lampard are not a good fit as a central pairing, then the thing to do is to play Gerard where his club plays him and thats on the right.
The only way to get Beckham on the field is to play Gerard up front and drop either Owen or Cole. Or drop Lennon and play Cole wide left.
I just like the idea of Lennon because he is tricky and fast and there is virtually no scouting info out there about him.