Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Dear parents and players,

We wanted to take the time during the busy summer season to share something very important with you. Last December the Charlotte Eagles went on tour to Rwanda, Uganda, and Kenya. While there the team had the opportunity to take a small plane up to the city of Gulu in Northern Uganda and play a match. Over 10,000 people came out to the match to cheer on the team. The reason the team went up to Gulu is because the situation is very difficult there at this time. Northern Uganda has been in civil war for over 20 years and the results of this war are staggering. Over 90% of the population is displaced and lives in squalid conditions in refugee camps. In 2005 over 3 times as many people died in Northern Uganda as in Darfur Sudan. Every night over 30,000 kids walk into the cities to sleep at night because they fear abduction by the rebel army called the LRA who goes into the homes at night to steal away children and force them in slavery and become child soldiers. The situations is so bad the the UN Secretary to Africa called in the “Number one overlooked human rights crisis in the world today” Many of the children are orphans, have AIDS, hardly any food, and many of these kids didn’t even wear clothes because they didn’t have any!

After returning several of the Eagles players felt a responsibility to do something to help the situation. Here in Charlotte, many of us have been blessed with a lot compared to what they children have in Gulu, Uganda. As a community we have the opportunity to help in a very significant and tangible way. On July 15th the Charlotte Eagles and the Charlotte Lady Eagles be hosting Gifts for Gulu Night. The women kickoff vs. Atlanta at 5:30 pm and the men kickoff at 8 pm against the Richmond Kickers. Boxes will be set up for clothing donations at the stadium. Items needed are childrens T-shirts, shorts, pants, dresses, skirts, sweaters, socks, sandals, shoes, toothbrushes, toiletries etc. Also any soccer gear (jerseys, shorts, shinguards, cleats, and soccer balls are also needed). Items will be donated to the Sports Outreach Institute and shipped over to their staff who have been working with the children of Gulu for several years.

The Eagles will also have a table set up at the game on July 15th at the match should you feel moved to help support this project financially as well. We are asking that the youth soccer community come out and support this event and bring clothing donations for the children of Gulu. Please come out to the game on July 15th and make a difference in the life of a child in Northern Uganda through Gifts for Gulu.
Any questions please contact Sam Casey with the Charlotte Eagles Ph: 704.841.8644 ext 27; e-mail: scasey@charlotteeagles.com

Last edited by Hurst66; 07/12/06 04:48 PM.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
J
world cup
world cup
J
I by no means want to "steal the thunder" of this gracious effort. But for those of you that are compelled to help, but can't make it to Charlotte or whatever. "Invisible Children" is another organization that has been making great strides in the Uganda relief effort.

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/

I've had personal experience with this organization..a friend of mine just got back from Uganda last week in fact.

I would strongly urge you all to contribute to either of these organizations. If I could make it to Charlotte on the 15th I certainly would..but cannot.

Can't stress enough how much these children need our help.

Last edited by L-E Dude; 07/12/06 06:03 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard