Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

i wish the schsl would allow us to do what football does with thier summer passing leagues.

The SCHSL does allow for the exact same setup as football passing leagues IN the summer months ... Did you mean in the fall season? If so, that's because HS athletic directors and principals will not support a "high school soccer league" or any other sport that would interfere with SCHSL sanctioned "in-season" sports that could affect participation or coaches fighting over players.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
As a player in an adult league and a parent of a child playing developmental, I would much rather pay for a quality kit from adidas. The new technology in these materials are great and do make a difference. As a matter of fact, I wish CESA would go to a white Adidas jersey with climacool as opposed to the T-shirts for practice. I would be willing to pay the extra coin for my son to be more comfortable in the sweltering heat of August and September.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
None of them are as expensive as soccer, based on what I know.

Everyone assumes that the lack of minority penetration in soccer is a result of costs. That may be a part of it but I think the bigger piece of it is the lack of acceptance as a sport. Its still seen as a lily white European sissy sport.

Until we see young black kids juggling a ball wearing FUBU inspired Henry or Cole or Ronaldinho or even Gooch jersies......we won't be getting the best young American athletes into the game. They'll play basketball, football or run track.

I see young white kids and hispanic kids doing that....but black kids are few and far between and I think its cultural as much as anything.

S
coach
coach
S
kdlsc: Wow! Do I agree with you! I personally have been wearing both cotton T-shirts and Climalite/Climacool/Dri-fit doing a bunch of working out this summer and have been absolutely amazed at the difference in the advanced materials. You should get a petition going!

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Chico: I will put a bug in both Andrew's and Pearce's ear when I see them.

corner kick
corner kick
Kevin,

I am under the impression that the head coach couldn't be out on the field with his team in the off-season, epecially before tryouts. I do feel as though football has an advantage with such long off-season practices and training. They can have their tryouts at the end of soccer season, months before their season starts. They can coach their receivers, DB's, and quarterbacks months before their first game. If you have a link on this summer soccer opportunities that is okayed by the SCHSL, I would be really interested in reading it. Thanks.

I do believe soccer is cultural but I also disagree with it being an overall white European sport. Maybe in US it is seen as that. Until we start having 5000 people show up at a high school stadium on game night, I reckon it will always be seen as an "Olympic sport" instead of giving the proper recognition it deserves for the ability needed to play it well. But I do have to agree with it following affluent school district lines for the most part. If you were to follow Title 1 districts, you would probably find that soccer is not that important, is non-existent, or is not good at those schools. There is always an exception to the rule, but for the most part, the rule holds true. Look at many of the SCISA schools that have respectable soccer programs.

world cup
world cup
Fan,

I wouldn't cry too much about football's preseason advantage over soccer. Although the HS soccer coaches only have access to their kids from mid-January to mid-May (if you are fortunate to go that far), these players are not sitting around eating chocolate on the couch during their down time. The other seven months of the year their club coach (who often is a professional, and widely believed to be more qualified than the HS coach) has them conditioning, training, playing league games, tournaments, ODP, State Cup, Super Y, college showcases, etc.

I have to believe that when most HS kids show up in January, they are relatively prepared for the upcoming season.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I have to disagree with some of the statements... Maybe in SC the majority are white, But I can tell you at Score at the Shore there was a very good mix of races (very skilled players). Saw Benp there he may corroborate my statement.

I think it is basically a numbers game...i.e number of players choosing the sport at a high level. Nobody seems to be troubled by the lack of white players in Football and Basketball. The truth is there is a belief that the lower income kid will work harder at the sport he loves as a way out. But soccer in this country does not have a way out "YET". Right now it is arequirement that education is the way out if you play the non $$$ sports... You could not have a college program in the non$$ sports with a GPA less than 2, It would not be accepted.

Therfore you will se a little step toddler like walk for the sport in the US, which I believe will eventually capture the masses.

The only stumbling block is HS and college $$$ sports, but there I go again poking at the 800 lb gorilla.

coach
coach
Benp must be getting some great Ref experience - Regionals and Score, among other tournaments. Great way to make some good summer money at these tournaments. All you guys going away to college should continue your involvement in soccer by getting certified.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

I am under the impression that the head coach couldn't be out on the field with his team in the off-season, epecially before tryouts. I do feel as though football has an advantage with such long off-season practices and training. They can have their tryouts at the end of soccer season, months before their season starts. They can coach their receivers, DB's, and quarterbacks months before their first game. If you have a link on this summer soccer opportunities that is okayed by the SCHSL, I would be really interested in reading it. Thanks.

The Fan -- once again, this information is in the HSL Handbook at SCHSL.

This is the same rule that allows for high school basketball, baseball, volleyball, and football teams to practice against each other. You have 10 dates that you can scrimmage other prep teams.

This is along the same line as the Summer 6v6 High School League that we fielded in 2003-04 and attempted to do so this summer, albeit unsuccessfully.

How many coaches would like to stage a 2007 Summer League next year?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard