>>there is also no connection between school and lunch—BUT we don't stop failing kids in school from eating—so that comparison fails—sorry—we do stop failing kids from playing sports—just because one can make an analogy doesn't mean the analogy fits—<<

Please don't be sorry...you're trying to raise points in an interesting discussion. School lunch (and breakfasts) are government-subsidized activities for some portion of our children -- just as education is -- and just as high school sports are. That's the analogy. I understand that you might not like the analogy...and I understand that an analogy isn't the same thing as a "model" in which all aspects of a relationship are tested; but the simple fact is that many justify schools providing meals as linked to education -- and the argument is similarly made that you can link exercise and education.

[freire is (present tense used for the timeless aspect of his ideas and writing) for universal public education—not school choice—FYI]<<

You're having fun with me, right? Universal public education doesn't run counter with to the concept of equalizing the playing field by allowing the poor the same privilege of choosing their schools as we currently allow the rich. Any good Marxist should understand that!