I don't know if it is fair to compare us with other states unless our demographics and socio-economics are similar. Wasn't there a discussion not too long ago concerning why soccer is not as big here as other places? California is not a football state like SC. I'm of course talking about high school. That makes a difference. You wouldn't talk about soccer in Valdosta, GA...football is king. People move to Valdosta so that their child can play high school football there. Look at Byrnes High school...a team that went 9-27 (or something like that) in the past two seasons, but whose football team is playing on ESPN this year.

I just think that SC is making great strides in promoting soccer in the state, but we have a long way to go. It is up to the coaches, players, and parents to fight for every inch of soccer recognition and promotion in this state. We need to go and beat down the corporate doors for sponsorship and not take NO for an answer. In addition to that, we need to promote the sport more. There are shirts, hats, etc. with such and such footbal or baseball pride on them. We need to see more with soccer pride in our community. There is definitely interest out there, but we need to get people involved. How we do this is the question.

Does high school soccer hurt? Only if there is no feeder system. No clubs surrounding your high school will damage your high school program. Clubs help build it. Paying soccer coaches decently for their time, effort, and licenses, in the high school ranks, would help validate the sport more.

Just a few crazy thoughts...as always.