Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#72614 09/18/06 03:53 AM
A
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
A
Does anyone know which club is hosting State Cup this year?
Thanks

coach
coach
You would think with all the info on the SCYSA website, that would be an easy one. But it is nowhere to be found. Only the date is listed.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

Does anyone know which club is hosting State Cup this year?
Thanks

It's my understanding that clubs don't host state cup. State cup is usually 'hosted' by districts. This year state cup is being held in the Coastal district. First round is December 2nd and is held in the top seed team's home district. Final round of state cup is being held December 9-10 in the Coastal district.

Hope that helps.

-Attitude reflects leadership-
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Although Tbabe is correct. SCYSA still needs the fields and pays rent to the owner. It is my understanding that Club or Clubs in the low country have not stepped forward to work with SCYSA in the set-up of the cup. Sounds pretty much like the upper district last year.

world cup
world cup
Great opportunity for Discoveries to unveil Manchester Meadows to the entire state!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
coach
coach
Ok, found brief comment in Coastal section. Nothing finalized yet?
http://www.scysa.org/news_coastal.shtml
Maybe State finals should always be in Cola. each year as a central site. Similar to HS sports finals.
(I am sure there will be a few comments on that thought!)

goal
goal
I have HEARD in the past that there will "never" be a State Cup held at Mt. Pleasant Soccer Club because 1) SCYSA requires the host club to turn over control of their fields to them during Cup play and 2) the city of Mt. Pleasant will not allow someone else, i.e., SCYSA, to have control over their fields.

If this is the case, that would leave Summerville and James Island as potential hosts.

S
coach
coach
S
Here's my understanding -- which is pretty much the same as "futbol(soccer)". This is a three-step process:

1) A district must be selected by the SCYSA. (I believe this is done on a rotating, or at least semi-rotating, basis.)

2) Fields must be located. This typically must involve a club since clubs have a tendency to own, or at least have rights to, fields.

3) Volunteers must be found. This typically must involve a club since clubs have a tendency to have volunteers.

Last year, as I understand it, the SCYSA selected the upstate district, CESA volunteered its fields, but CESA couldn't find enough volunteers with the tournaments it runs and thus the SCYSA had to provide the volunteers.

I don't know what's going on in the Coastal region this year. My guess -- and it's only a guess since I'm not at all involved in last year's stuff or this year's -- is that the financial package that is put together by the SCYSA to reward the club (I think they get to sell ads in the program or something like that) isn't sufficient to get anyone to want to go through the enormous hassle of granting fields and raising volunteers. I have heard something about "rent" with regard to the fields -- but I've heard it's trivial.

But I don't know the financial details -- all of the financial speculation is just conjecture.

hat-trick
hat-trick
If I recall correctly, SCYSA has had trouble finding a host club for the last 4-5 years. Part of it may be that, at least in the Piedmont and Coastal Districts, it ends up being the same clubs over and over. I have been to state cups in one role or the other for 10 years. By my memory, here is the list of host clubs during that time:

1996-1997 – Piedmont – Greenwood Toros
1997-1998 – Coastal – Summervile Soccer Club
1998-1999 – Midstate – Aiken Soccer Club
1999-2000 – Piedmont – St. Giles
2000-2001 – Coastal – SSC
2001-2002 – Midstate – Columbia Soccer Club
2002-2003 – Piedmont – St Giles United
2003-2004 – Coastal – SSC
2004-2005 – Midstate – Lexington Soccer Club
2005-2006 – Piedmont – CESA/Burning Hills

Last edited by Coach P; 09/18/06 05:54 PM.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Last year, as I understand it, the SCYSA selected the upstate district, CESA volunteered its fields, but CESA couldn't find enough volunteers with the tournaments it runs and thus the SCYSA had to provide the volunteers.

In the SCYSA board minutes from June 12, 2005 is the following:
"Barry made a motion to accept the bid from Burning Hills Soccer Club to host the small sided games competitions (Palmetto Classic and Kohls American) and from Carolina Football Club (Spartanburg) to host the SCYSA Challenge Cup, SCYSA Classic Cup and Kohls American Cup (U13-U19) in the fall and spring season. Doug seconded the motion."

The next minutes with mention of this was Sept 11, 2005:
"Steve C. and Barry met with Pearse Tormey of CESA to finalize the fields for the State Cups. We have reserved 16 fields for the Classic and American Cup November 19-20 and six fields for the Challenge Cup December 3-4. The games will be played at the following fields: MESA Complex (7 fields), Wenwood Complex (4 fields) and Pittman Park (5 fields). Pittman Park is supposed to have 3 fields with lights by State Cup time. CESA will handle trash, concessions and field setup. The board will handle the field marshalling, tee shirts and program. The field usage fee will be the same as the leagues pay ($30 per game)."

Does anyone know what happened between June and September? Why did CFC pull out? I believe Burning Hills did host the Palmetto Classic and Kohls American Cups.

Last edited by Coach P; 09/18/06 07:05 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard