Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Strictly from memory

Burning Hills did host the palmetto Classic and Kohls Cup for certain ages

CFC backed out of the process because it did not have enough fields (please note past tense - do not know why)

CESA offered MESA but without volunteers as it drains the volunteerism for in club tournaments

To my knowledge the Challenge cup is not a problem...i.e. the number of teams are finite - 32 in the fall - 16 in the spring.

The problem is more with the Classic Cup and Kohls cup. To the best of my knowledge this is open entry, therefore you may not know how many teams will choose to enter, thus the number of fields issue.

Now that there is a regional cup for classic play (I think there is a national as well) The classic cup should also be limited to 8 teams and have the same process as the challenge cup (i.e playof game and then state cup).

Field needs will be reduced considerably.

hat-trick
hat-trick
The Classic Cup, now called the President's Medal Cup, used to be an open cup for anyone not in the Challenge or Premier Leagues. It did not matter which league you played in or if you even played in a league. Now you must qualify for the President's Medal Cup by playing in the PMSL. My U14 girl's Classic team last year decided to play in tournaments only in the Spring due to involvment in JV soccer. We were told by the SCYSA Cups and Games director that we could not play in the Classic Cup without playing in the PMSL. So in the strictest since of the word, it is not an open cup.

It is however open to all teams in the PMSL, not just the top 8 seeds.

Last edited by Coach P; 09/18/06 07:04 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I believe a team is only required to play in three league games to qualify

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I believe a team is only required to play in three league games to qualify

This is true by the Classic Cup rules, but I have not been able to get a reduced schedule since they went to the Challenge League/PMSL format. I inquired about this last year and was told we would have to play a full schedule.

I know the CESA U18 Girls Premier are playing a reduced schedule in the Challenge League, but I believe that is an exception made because they are also playing in the Premier League. I do not believe their games will count toward Cup seedings, which is the issue with playing a reduced schedule.

Last edited by Coach P; 09/18/06 09:03 PM.
D
corner kick
corner kick
D
Getting back to the original discussion...where is the State Cup going to be decided? Why when someone mentions "Coastal District" does that only mean the greater Charleston area? Are Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head absolutely not options?

Last edited by deahler; 09/18/06 10:00 PM.
coach
coach
Hilton Head & Myrtle are too far away from CESA. Everything should always be in Cola. - the Center of the Universe.

S
coach
coach
S
Coach P: My understanding is that CESA's U18G Premier team's state challenge cup seeding will be determined solely on its finish in RIIIPL-East.

deahler: Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head are in the coastal district and by definition should be options.

2004striker: In some of the board minutes of the SCYSA, they talk about buying land in Columbia upon which they'd build fields (in association with the adult league). Perhaps if this were done these things would always be held in Columbia. [Again, speculation on my part.]

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P: My understanding is that CESA's U18G Premier team's state challenge cup seeding will be determined solely on its finish in RIIIPL-East.

Yes, the 1st two R3PL-East teams are guaranteed the 1st or 2nd seed. The question would be how does their Challenge League schedule effect seedings 3-8? In this case, it should be equitable since they play each team once.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Quote:

[[My U14 girl's Classic team last year decided to play in tournaments only in the Spring due to involvment in JV soccer. We were told by the SCYSA Cups and Games director that we could not play in the Classic Cup without playing in the PMSL. So in the strictest since of the word, it is not an open cup.]] from coach p

So, Coach P, would it be a fair assessment to say that SCYSA is or is NOT serving the best interest of your team and it's player? Is SCYSA looking to serve or be served? Are the SCYSA representatives really meeting the needs/demands of the state's youth by being as inclusive as possible? ...offering multiple ways to promote player development, retention and promotion? Or do their personal prejudices cloud the actual goal(s)/mission of the association?

Also, I agree with striker04...Columbia makes too much sense? Why doesn't the SCYSA look to collaborate with USC potentially to host the state cup. I'm not actually talking about the mens or women's program, but with the University. They've just constructed 2 or 3 brand new soccer fields on campus, plus the other ones available for student and athlete use? Again, this is hypothetical... and may not even be possible?

C
throw in
throw in
C
I understand it to be as follows:

To play in the Classic Cup, a team must play in a SCYSA sanctioned league. The league must be comprised of at least 4 teams, and play each opponent once. This is where the 3 games comes into play.

Further the team must be comprised of properly rostered classic players. A recreation team can play in a SCYSA sanctioned recreation league, then roster the team as a classic team prior to the appropriate deadline, and be able to compete in the Classic Cup.

So, the Classic Cup is open to any team not participating in the SCSCL, or RIII Premier, that has competed in a SCYSA sanctioned league.

Coach P, in your scenario of a rostered Classic team choosing to only play in tournaments, if your team is rostered as a Classic team, the only SCYSA sanctioned leagues available to them are the PMSL, SCSCL, or RIII, and depending on age, Palmetto Classic.

Back to the original intent of this of location. Location is an easy part of the equation. The harder parts are getting the volunteer support to host it. It is very natural for everyone to advocate convenience from their personal perspective. Often times the very ones that strongly advocate convenience allow others to step in and work to provide for their convenience.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard