Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Shibumi #74258 12/01/06 04:38 PM
world cup
world cup
"Of course, if it happened in a gender/age group in which my kid played, I would be interested in finding out how it might impact my kid's team."

I agree Chico, that you would want this information if you had a vested interest in your kid's game.....but when inquiring, be up front with as much as you know. People tend to think in extremes. When Griff offered "Has anybody heard about the legal problems of 2 players...", people reading this could incorrectly assume that these two kids carjacked somebody at gunpoint.

It's good to extract the truth....just conduct your investigation in the proper manner.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #74259 12/01/06 05:14 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Why does it matter and what does this have to do with soccer? Or Bridge?

Its a private matter between kids and their parents. Perhaps their coach too. But thats it.....

These kids aren't pro athletes and don't deserve to be rumored about for off field stuff.

Big Daddy #74260 12/01/06 05:47 PM
world cup
world cup

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Big Daddy #74261 12/01/06 05:49 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I am sure the situation was handled within the team or the club...I guess things have been kind of slow on the message boards and people like to speculate and raise questions..

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I took the comment about Sticky fingers at a mall in Raleigh not as misbehavior at a restaurant but getting caught shoplifting at the mall. That would be a much more serious situation and damanging to the reputation of the team, the club and South Carolina soccer.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Why would this be damaging to the team, the club and the State?

Relatively speaking, shoplifting is small taters. Not meaning to sound callous but from a societal perspective I'm far more concerned over the values implied by parents convinced their 12 year old is on track to get a college scholarship to play soccer.

My 12 year old is convinced he's playing in Barcelona, so this doesn't apply to me!!!!

This is a personal matter that has nothing to do with Club soccer.

Big Daddy #74264 12/02/06 02:51 PM
S
coach
coach
S
[Preface: Bias alert. I like Bridge...I like what they've done for competitive soccer in South Carolina. And while I personally like CESA more since I have relatives that play there, I don't see youth soccer in South Carolina to be anywhere close to being a zero-sum game and thus I want to see Bridge thrive and grow.]

>>[Big Daddy] Why would this be damaging to the team, the club and the State?<<

It would possibly be damaging to a team if the players are suspended, in jail, etc. It would possibly be damaging to a club if the parents who are paying the bills become concerned that (a) their children are associating with other children that may induce them to engage in poor behavior, (b) their children are in an environment in which supervision and/or punishment is perceived as lax, etc.

I don't know how it would be damaging to the state.

>>Relatively speaking, shoplifting is small taters. Not meaning to sound callous but from a societal perspective I'm far more concerned over the values implied by parents convinced their 12 year old is on track to get a college scholarship to play soccer.<<

Well...one is a possible felony, and the other is self-delusion. I'm a bit more concerned about kids committing possible felonies when it comes to my parental duties...but that's just me.

Seriously, I have not a clue as to how a kid shoplifts at Sticky Fingers...

>>My 12 year old is convinced he's playing in Barcelona, so this doesn't apply to me!!!!<<

>>This is a personal matter that has nothing to do with Club soccer.<<

Again, I want to stress, that I don't personally care about this specific situation and I can't imagine that it has anything to do with me or mine -- which is why I didn't get involved until folks began berating other folks for asking questions. I believe that Bridge is a good club and that any group of teenagers are going to misbehave to some degree.

However, I respectfully disagree that issues like this have nothing to do with club soccer. Clubs have tremendously more responsibility for handling misbehavior than do high school athletic administrators. The higher level the club, the more time that parents are entrusting the care of their children to club administrators and the more parents are subjecting their children to peer-group pressure. Thus the board and operational management of a club has to take this stuff incredibly seriously.

Does that mean it's the responsibility of a club to respond publicly on issues like this? Absolutely not. Each club has to decide to what degree it's going to address issues like this for the good of the kids, the good of the teams, and the good of the club. I pointed out Darren Sweet's [the former president of Bridge] behavior only because what I perceived he did was to adroitly directly address an issue and kill it off.

I'm sure that the folks at Bridge are dealing with this issue -- but to pretend that things like this don't take a life of their own among other parents/children is simply naive. The best way to handle things like this is to use media like message boards to kill it [but carefully and keeping names and the like out]. Otherwise, they tend to fester -- in the long-term hurting the reputation of not the kids but the club and its administration in terms of dealing with these types of situations.

Shibumi #74265 12/04/06 11:43 AM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
We'll just have to disagree on this one.

The image of a Club is affected by on field issues such as kids, parents, or coaches acting in a disgraceful manner while wearing their Club jersey. Cursing, belligerince, dirty play, constant complaining and challenging of calls, selfishness..........these are ways that a Club can be disgraced on the field.

Off the field.....Clubs are affected by adults......Board behavior, Coach behavior.

Kids have the oppportunity to get in trouble in a bunch of ways and God help them.......hopefully the actual impact is minimal. But when a kid does get in trouble off field....it is no more a reflection of their team or Club that it is their school, church, whatever.

Big Daddy #74266 12/04/06 01:06 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[Big Daddy] But when a kid does get in trouble off field....it is no more a reflection of their team or Club that it is their school, church, whatever.<<

I think you've done a great job of getting to the crux of the matter. If the kids get in trouble off the field and they aren't together as the result of the function of the team, then we agree. However, in my opinion, if the they are together as a function of the team then the club has the responsibility to appropriately supervise.

Shibumi #74267 12/04/06 02:19 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Nope!!!! PARENTS....are responsible for the behavior of their children. The minute the kids step off the field they belong to their parents. I do not expect CESA to monitor my son off the field at tournaments.....thats my and my wife's job.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard