More seriously, I tend to agree with "gamecock44" in the sense that CESA-Columbia appears to be spending most of its efforts on collaborating with the non-SCYSA recreation group SOAR (600+ players, right?) and working with younger age groups.

SCYSA-registered players in the Columbia area are dominated by CUFC (the second largest club in the state), Lexington, and CRSA (Lower Lexington is very small as well.)

I do think that "Steve" has a great point regarding non-SCYSA alternatives, particularly in the Columbia area. Between SOAR, the YMCA's, and the Lexington recreation clubs there are a huge number of non-SCYSA-affiliated kids out there. I've spoken to a few folks about that -- they can't see any possible benefit to joining the SCYSA given the expense and bureacracy.

So in the end, if Columbia-area soccer is to grow in terms of SCYSA registered players, I think that it's the current SCYSA clubs that will have to lead the way. The question is why these clubs would continue to affiliate their recreation and classic (not challenge or premier) players with the SCYSA when there are less expensive and less bureaucratic alternatives.