Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
GOAL!!! #76719 03/13/07 03:28 PM
G
throw in
throw in
G
CESA does not benefit from (as BFDAD states) from a lack of competitive teams in the low country. In many cases the premier teams have to go out of state for competition. As I said earlier: " I really do wish you luck". Good competition makes both clubs stronger.

GOAL!!! #76720 03/15/07 01:14 AM
kick off
kick off
OK, Here's a novel idea - Since the BFA coaches want practices for each team to be located where the majority of the areas BEST players are from (on there team?):

1) let's have the FOLLOWING YEAR'S practices in the town (Jamies Island, Mt P, Summerville...) whose team has the best record in the the LAST TOURNAMENT before tryouts. e.g. the Bridge Invitational. So, let's say that a JI team enters the U15 age group and has a better record than MT. P or Summerville, then the ALLIANCE will hold practices in J.I. for that age group. How's that for getting over the LOCATION,LOCATION,LOCATION issue I brought up earlier?

GOAL!!! #76721 03/15/07 02:16 AM
Brace
Brace
How has Bridge FA effected James Island HS and Summerville HS? I had an interesting conversation with a parent of one of the SSC players this past weekend and they had a very interesting perspective.

Talon #76722 03/15/07 02:31 PM
B
goal
goal
B
Talon,

Interesting perspectives are often different than what the general consensus may seem to be. Obviously, from your post the perspective is different from your own, and without the benefit of knowing what each of those perspectives are, it's a shot in the dark trying to respond to your specific question. However, here's my opinion.

In general, club soccer in the fall is better than no soccer in the fall, as it pertains to HS teams. That said, obviously, the higher the level of play for the players from a particular school during the fall, should show tangible benefits for the HS team in the spring, in addition to the shear number of players in club soccer.

As for the effect of Bridge FA on the high schools listed, there is minimal impact to James Island and there is more with Summerville. Dealing with the HS teams, limiting the age groups to U15-U18, there are more Bridge FA players at Summerville, than James Island. It's not too surprising then that Summerville is more highly regarded than James Island.

Bridge FA though, impacts many more high schools than just Summerville and James Island, even though only SSC and JIYSC are formal members of the current alliance. Since the girls are still somewhat fragmented, I'm also limiting this discussion to the boys side. You have to look at the rosters from each of the schools to get a true picture. With that said, the teams from the low country that get talked about, (if I don't mention all, it's oversight, not intentional) Wando, Summerville, Fort Dorchester, Beaufort, Bishop England, Academic Magnet, Lincoln, and Pinewood, all have Bridge FA players, many of these schools also have SSC and JIYSC players. While other schools that are less talked about, James Island, West Ashley, Stratford, Waccamaw, Soccastee, and Porter Gaud, all have Bridge FA players that are significant assets to their respective teams. So Bridge FA seems to have an impact on the entire low country HS scene, not just Summerville and James Island.

When this was conceptualized one of the things that was talked about was the effect that CRSA has on the Brookland Cayce HS program. One of the things I was told CRSA basically exists to expose BC players to club soccer and provide a place for fall training to perpetuate their HS program. In a nutshell, a local club, supporting a local community/HS program. That I think is a very good thing, and within the structure of the current alliance the local clubs could still support their HS teams. This would/could include more HS coaches involved at the local club. I don't think that has manifested itself as much as it could. By moving the challenge program to Bridge FA, leaving the classic programs with the local clubs, it seemed to be a good way to support the local HS, and also provide for the higher level play, for those that are able and desire it.

So there is no doubt there are players at Summerville HS that either weren't selected for a Bridge FA team, or made a decision to remain with the local club for whatever reason. With those players remaining in club soccer in the fall, I don't really see any negative impact to the HS teams, unless the players stopped playing club soccer all together.

Maybe I'm looking through rose colored glasses, but I think the current structure allows for positive effects, rather than negative effects.

Bear #76723 03/15/07 07:19 PM
C
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
C
Maybe somebody can clear this up for me. I've heard two stories.

Next fall, Bridge FA will only have challange teams, no classic.

Next fall, Bridge FA will only have teams at the U13 to U18 level and they will play challange or classic.

Chantman #76724 04/09/07 02:16 PM
C
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
C
Congrats to BFA 94 Gold on their 3-0 victory over MPSC 93 Maroon this past weekend.

Chantman #76725 04/09/07 07:52 PM
C
goal
goal
C

It is my understanding that currently BFA doesn't support classic teams and that you need to go to one of the other clubs if you want to be classic as a team or player.

So, the second statement would seem to be the most logical step for them. But would put them in direct competition with the other clubs and I believe against why they exist, which was to field only the very best teams and leave the rest for the other clubs.

Here I go again!
Chapindad #76726 04/10/07 01:47 AM
goal kick
goal kick
This year, we have a Bridge u11 team playing Sandlapper League. Is "mission creep" at the Bridge?

LeGrazie #76727 04/18/07 04:00 PM
kick off
kick off
I've read it all and just have to chime in now.

I have been coaching soccer for 13 years now. The problem we face today is the same problem I was ranting about 7 years ago when my daughter was 11.

First off, Mount Pleasant Soccer Club has too many ties too the city government. The facilities and staff have always been paid for by the tax payers of Mount Pleasant(this may have changed recently). So when Susie tax payers son gets cut so a kid from JI, Summerville or Charleston makes the team she goes screaming to her city councilman or the mayor. What she forgets is the out of town kids pay more in registration fees to play in MTP. Mount P didn't say little Johnny can't play soccer they just said he can't play on this team.

Coaches as a whole are more concerned with their winning records than the development and exposure of their players. Every year and in some cases between seasons I recommend to a player or two to move to another team that has a higher level of competition. When I talk to the parents I emphasize that if your child wants to continue to develop or play in college some day he must play with and against the better competition. Is this best for my team? Absolutely not. What is our job as a coach? To develop players and give them the best chance to be successful later, if soccer is something they truly want to pursue.

Every player at level should have a place to play those that do it for social reasons only included. What we have lacked in the lowcountry for years is a concentrated effort for for the Elite Players. We educate to the masses just as in our public schools and the Elite being the minority are the ones that are truly being left behind. We need MPSC, SSC, JIYSC, Charleston United and any others I failed to mention but they should be the feeder system to a club that provides only Challenge and Premier opportunities.

This club should have tryouts in all the age groups for challenge and Premier teams(if qualified) if the numbers and talent level justify it an A and B team may be feasible for Challenge in some age groups. In house, micro, LYSA and classic as well as some form of skills training(Coerver or such) should be provided by the feeder clubs.

My daughter played for MPSC, SSC and Charleston United. We pretty much traveled with coach from club to club in each area of the Lowcountry to build an Elite level team. We managed 1 state championship and 3 runner-ups in six years. With players from MTP, Summerville, Charleston, James Island and Hilton Head we still struggled in Premier league. Yet, due to the effort made by the Parents and one very committed Coach 8 of 9(the 9th decided to pursue a medical career) graduating Seniors will be playing College soccer at the Division 1 and 2 levels.

It's time to throw the ego's and the politics out the window and do what's best for the players at all levels. Parents it's in your hands don't count on your club or your coaches to make decisions for your kids.

ROSS!!! For no reason!
ROSS #76728 04/18/07 06:30 PM
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
This post would have been perfect for the Charleston United thread. Well said!!!

Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard