Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20
Bonz #76729 04/18/07 07:40 PM
corner kick
corner kick
The problem with MPSC isn't too many ties to the town government, but rather the fact that it IS a program of the Mt. Pleasant Recreation Department; so every facet of the club is beneath the umbrella of the rec dept. and therefore the Town of Mt. Pleasant. The premier club in Charleston used to be known as Hungryneck International Soccer Association (I think, the initials were HNISA I believe), but (goodness...I was 12 at the time maybe) 8 or 9 years ago, Hungryneck (a privately run club) merged with the Recreation Department's Recreational Soccer programs (publicly run) to provide all levels of play and access for all ages--at the time, I remember being VERY excited about the new maroon/white uniforms as anything was better than the awkward blue/white striped/halved shirts we had previously. Whether it's connected or not, the last continuous string of highly competitive teams (both boys and girls) were remnants of Hungryneck's programs. There have been successful MPSC teams since then, but not a continuous succession of them across the age groups.

While the merger did put make available many more resources than Hungryneck had on its own--it had been forced to use whatever fields were available, often Trident Academy and a poorly kept Long Point subdivision field--it did, unfortunately, force all of the programs' decisions to be made beneath the rec. dept's umbrella, meaning the people who ultimately okayed major ideas and funds worked for the local government and not for the soccer club, coaches, and players.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
ROSS #76730 04/19/07 12:58 PM
B
goal
goal
B
MRoss,

You mention egos, and parents need to be involved. Here are some statements I've heard that could summarize some of the egos:

Our club is the model for Bridge FA.
You're only as good as your last win.
We have everything in place and don't need anybody else.

At the end of the day, until collectively these DOCs let loose of some ego, and parents on the BODs also lose some of the us vs them mentality, or anger with respective DOCs, the low country will still not fully service the elite players. Of course, if an individual club doesn't really want to service them, that's also okay, but don't hinder the individual players that want it.

Bear #76731 04/19/07 05:43 PM
S
kick off
kick off
S
I am one of the DOC's being referred too and would like to see us collectively work together. I think it's not just a matter of egos but a lot of it has to do with trust.
I think that the organizations needs to be structured by representatives from each of the club's Boards. Once the structure has been agreed upon then open up all positions to be applied for. Then hire the best people for the job/s.
This almost came about over the last few months with all the clubs and recreational programs sitting around the same table, agreeing to making this happen. It all fell apart once it became about one person insisting it had to be them running the program. I and others do not need to be in this position but must feel we can trust the person who is and that the program is something we can fully support and is going to benefit all levels of soccer for the area.

SoccerDOC #76732 04/19/07 06:35 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Trust...where have I heard that before?
If everyone believes in the concept but can not agree on whom should be in charge..Then maybe we should step outside the Charleston area to find a soccer professional willing to make this concept work

SoccerDOC #76733 04/19/07 06:49 PM
B
goal
goal
B
So what you're saying is, it's not me that needs to be in the position, just not him?

If everyone is involved and has a vested interest in making it work, wouldn't the program either be or become something that could be fully supported?

The same thing happened 2 years ago. Call it ego, or trust, at the end of the day, it fell apart when people/clubs felt like they weren't going to be in control.

The egos/mistrust doesn't start and end with the DOCs, but also affects the club BODs. Too many people with deep roots holding on to past issues to efficiently move forward.

coldhardtruth #76734 04/20/07 01:03 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
CHT-I like your idea to hire someone outside the Charleston area to come in and be in charge. It every club has a representative and a vote, what's the problem? Only thing wrong with that idea...It makes sense! LOL

soccer05 #76735 04/20/07 03:08 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Everyone says this is a good idea so why is'nt it happening?
Because they cannot decide who will be in charge...Not club presidents...these are DOCs who are employees to their perspective clubs...I am asking the club presidents in this area to breathe some new life into our soccer situation and step outside the box and go after a new DOC who can represent the lowcountry as a whole..The current presidents could be remembered as the ones that got this done for our kids or play it safe and make no difference..We need leaders to lead our kids out of this stalemate..When you know it's the right thing to do then it becomes your responsibility to get it done..

coldhardtruth #76736 04/21/07 02:37 AM
S
throw in
throw in
S
I am surprised ( and then again not) this thread is still running. I am sure I sound like an old record because I have been saying it for years - The Battery is the perfect neutral source to run high level soccer in the Charleston area.
I spent a week in England recently and noticed that the Pro teams there usually have some lower division teams, a premier youth team or 2, even a women's division team.

swimmer2 #76737 04/21/07 11:58 PM
M
bench
bench
M
The Bridge seems to be running perfectly fine without the involvement of MPSC and CUFC. The best players always go with the best trainers ( which the Bridge has). MPSC and CUFC can offer great things for the classic player. But what does it offer the challenge and premier player? Not Much!

mpheel #76738 04/22/07 11:03 AM
S
throw in
throw in
S
Call me back after a Bridge team when State Cup 6 out of 7 years.

Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard