Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2004striker #81714 04/17/07 03:11 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
[Warning: Totally off original topic (whatever it was)]

Perhaps this is best for a PM to P&Y, but I'm interested in other opinions as well..

[Disclaimer: I have not read EVERY Vonnegut work - so I may be missing some information that will make this all for naught.]

Vonnegut was a humanist, yes? Though he blames his mother's suicide on "synapses that were eaten away by chemicals"..etc.. That would seem to deprive his mother's action of all rationality visa vi: dignity

Yes?

I bring this up because I am yet to come to a conclusion as to what I think about this issue. Is a gunman that not only takes his own life, but 30+ others a "victim" himself or just an incredibly weak individual.

Perhaps this is too heavy for a soccer message board, but this thing has been on my mind all day (and the greater issue has plagued me for sometime).

I've generally felt "criminal insanity" and "depression" and those sorts of things were just a cop-out, but it's hard to imagine a human being making a conscious decision to cause such carnage.

Thoughts?

Jack Rozier #81715 04/17/07 12:54 PM
brace
brace
KV would say, I think, that chemical embalances happen in some humans—not as an EXCUSE, but as an EXPLANATION—KV experienced it, his son experienced it, and his mother fell to it—

KV would also say that some of that can be traced to our failures as humans to love and connect with each other—Loneliness and isolation help intensify the chemical failures of our biology—

Sadly, in sport, we use games too often to separate ourselves, to create an "other" to hate and defeat—Sport should be a celebration of competition—But as we read in our discussions, sport, like life, is often reduced to anger, hateful language, and winners/losers—Sadly. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard