Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
world cup
world cup
I think the punishment is too cruel. If a great player is on a team where the coach "fails to engage in the political process" (for whatever reason), the student-athlete should not be deprived of the opportunity to be recognized.

Take another look at the rules. Perhaps another coach from that region should be allowed to nominate a player?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Hurst66 -- To be honest, many of us feel this way, but there is a reason that this is a rule that is universal in SCHSL prep athletics via the SCACA.

Several years ago, a quality prep basketball player, whose father happened to be the head coach, did not get nominated via the correct process and was omitted from the All-State basketball team despite leading his team to another state title. SCACA reinforced the ruling that it is the ultimate responsibility of the head coach to nominate a player.

This process is also reviewed at our Summer Clinic, Winter Clinic and on the nomination form itself, so if anyone had wanted to nominate a Hilton Head player, they could have viewed the nomination list and contacted the HH head coach and asked him to submit a nomination.

In conclusion, the rule exists, because there are some All-State caliber players each year, that are not "All-State" caliber people (whether character, school suspensions, etc.) as viewed by their head coach. If the head coach does not nominate the player, then that player cannot be selected via a "trump" by other nominations from other coaches.

world cup
world cup
So a players' off the field behavior has a bearing on whether or not he or she is All-State?

What about the player who has decent character, but just might not see "eye-to-eye" with their coach. They can get the shaft

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
If you're talented, you either make trouble for your coach or don't. I don't know how much of a grey area there is.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I think the punishment is too cruel. If a great player is on a team where the coach "fails to engage in the political process" (for whatever reason), the student-athlete should not be deprived of the opportunity to be recognized.

Take another look at the rules. Perhaps another coach from that region should be allowed to nominate a player?

So a players' off the field behavior has a bearing on whether or not he or she is All-State?

What about the player who has decent character, but just might not see "eye-to-eye" with their coach. They can get the shaft

Absolutely! Allow me to get on "my soapbox" for a moment:

The SCHSSCA has to follow rules laid out by the SCACA. It's not a hard concept to grasp. However, part of a high school coach's responsibility is to be involved with the organization that supports this type of recognition, these types of all-star events, etc. In my opinion, to be a 'professional' in any line of work, folks must align themselves with the proper credentials, certifications, etc., -- it's that easy! Otherwise, they have failed in that aspect of their 'profession'.

The impetus is on each head coach to deem their player(s) as worthy of "All-State" material. Now, then, we had many "All-Region" and "All-Area" submissions this year included with our All-State player pool, but that's another issue altogether.

To me, part of being "All-State" has as much to do with the entire high school experience as it does with that player's ability on the soccer pitch. Sure a kid might score 25 goals and collect 15 assists for the #1 ranked team -- that player has earned the right to be nominated for this type of team. However, what if that same player has been a constant academic concern, a problem in the classroom, or even had legal troubles? Does that really warrant an "All-State" status? Should we not entrust that head coach to make that decision?

I don't know how much more can be conveyed to the uninterested or uneducated prep soccer coach. This information is discussed at the SCACA Summer Clinic, the SCHSSCA Winter Clinic, on this Website and Message Board, as well as via e-mails relayed through the SCACA broadcast method and individually from SCSoccer.com.

In the past we've tried balloon launches, messages in a bottle, tin can phone lines, smoke signals, and even attempted the Paul Revere method, but the horse rentals were too costly. In short, the information has been made readily available for any willing adult that can listen or read. Nothing short of spoon-feeding an adult (which is a pet peeve of mine) has been performed.

The vehicle to nominate a coach's players has been readily available since mid-January. Is it too much for a coach to send an e-mail during the season if they have any questions? Apparently not, because my e-mail "In Box" stayed full throughout March and April.

257 student-athletes were nominated for seven All-State Teams this year -- that's an average of more than 36 per classification which sponsors a State Championship. Believe me, there is nothing "political" about whittling down a list of players. Each classification has their own approach and arrive at their All-State Teams in different matters. A uniform approach has been tried in the past and that led to more upheaval than the present method.

If a player was not nominated for All-State due to that player's respective coach not following the guidelines, then I feel pity for that player -- that's a shame! But, if a player was nominated and stricken from the list based on behavior, perceived under achievement by that particular coach, etc., then so be it. I'll rely on the integrity of that individual to make that decision.

Sorry for the rant, but this needed to be said!

World Cup
World Cup
Every year

corner kick
corner kick
Just copy and paste for next year

Stewie- "Where did you graduate again, university of duhhhh?"
S
kick off
kick off
S
I'm sure all the players selected to all state are excellent players. I just find it hard to believe that in 4A there are only 2 players from lowerstate. 16 from upperstate. Apparently only a few lowerstate coaches care enough to recognize their players. That or we have a lot of student athelete trouble makers.

corner kick
corner kick
I remember the process in my BC days. Two coaches would show up for the entire 3A girls All State meeting. One year we had a total of 10 nominated players from 4 teams (two of which were at the meeting). We caught grief then as the committees do now. At least there is a group of coaches with a process now. It may not be perfect, but is MUCH better than 5 or 6 years ago. And the best way for it to be "perfect" is for coaches to get involved ane nominate their players.

Fletch: It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.
World Cup
World Cup
Good point!

Upper State (16) - Dorman (3), Fort Mill, T.L. Hanna (2), Irmo (3), Lexington (2), Mauldin, Northwestern, Spartanburg, Westside, Wren

Lower State (2) - Summerville, Wando

Personally, I was surprised that no one from Dutch Fork made the team. Let's take a look at the Class 4A Top 15 Rankings:

Upper State = #2 Lexington, #3 Irmo, #6 Dorman, #7 Fort Mill, #8 Mauldin, #9 Byrnes, #11 Spartanburg, #13 T.L. Hanna

Lower State - #1 Wando, #4 Dutch Fork, #5 Summerville, #10 Spring Valley, #12 West Ashley, #14 James Island, #15 Ridge View

Last edited by Kyle Heise; 05/09/07 01:46 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard