Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
goal kick
goal kick
I don't think it is "Wando's Fault". From my understanding, right when the Wando coach realized that during a substitution no one came off-- she told the ref. I don't think it was their intentions to 'Cheat'. If you ask me, it is somewhat the Refs fault for letting her go onto the field with no one subing off. He should have realized.

kick off
kick off
Quote:

First of all, what a shame there has to be such controversy. It sounds like both teams played their hearts out. Evidently, from what I've read, the players and coaches were able to leave it on the pitch, why can't the fans?

Secondly, does having 12 players for 2 minutes (2.5% of the match) really sway the outcome? Afterall, Lexington had 78 other minutes (77.5% of the match) to score or prevent a score.

yes for just that long it could make a different because we had free kicks and corners and to have 12 people marking up on our players, no there should only be 11, all of our players were marked and 2 was on the person with the ball. if we had that one person off thats one less defender it really could have made a difference and when wando had a free kick all our players would have a mark but for some odd reason the girl back post would be open

Last edited by tlrcamo; 05/12/07 03:28 PM.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender!!!!
T
bench
bench
T
The real question is... who assigns the referees???
I have heard that the assignors pick the group. This could make the whole thing a "good old boys" club. Younger better referees are "left out" because of seniority. What a joke. We should let the coaches from each region pick the best referees from that region. At least that way, the coaches get a say in who represents the region. Since you can't ref your own region in the final anyway, it will be the "best" group not the assignors favorites.

R
bench
bench
R
The assignors in each district do pick the referee crew. It use to be where the assignor just sent a list of referees to the state and they picked the crew. Now they put the responsibility on the assignors. The state then chooses which district gets which game. I'm not sure how the state picks which district gets which game, but Rock Hill area officials have had the 1A Boys final this year and last year.

S
throw in
throw in
S
I was aghast after reading the article in The State this morning. It is a horrid mistake to allow play to continue with a 12th player on the field. It is easy to understand that in the heat of the match the coach and officials simply lost track of substitutions. Regrdless, the officials and the offending coach are culpable. There is no mitigation or extenuation in regards to intent.

How can this happen at the state championship? Were there any SCHSL officials at the match? Were any of the referee assignors there? Does the SCHSL have anyone monitor this, perhaps a referee association official?

Hopefully the SCHSL will take notice. As long as I have been associated with high school soccer officiating has been a contentious issue. The esteemed Mr. Hazel and Singleton should be bombarded with inquiries.

corner kick
corner kick
Simply for the sake of comparison, here's another paper on the game:

http://web.charleston.net/news/2007/may/12/tempers_flare_warriors_victoryclass_aaaa_girls_s/

If anyone has links to other papers around the state who may have covered it, I'd love to look at them for the sake of curiosity. Just PM me the link or post it here =). I Googled and didn't find links to any other paper, so any other info would be lovely.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
R
bench
bench
R
Referee mistakes can happen anytime anywhere. I believe it was this past world cup where one referee gave three yellow cards to one player before he received the red card. I don't know if anything happened to that official, but I'm sure something did.

In the Region 3 USSF National Tournament this past year one referee gave a player two yellow cards but didn't give the player a red card. The three officials working that match were immediately sent home and not given any more games.

So these things can happen anywhere. I'm not defending these officials and some type of discipline should probably happen, but mistakes happen even with the best officials in the world.

throw in
throw in
whats amazing to me in all this is lexington dominated the second half despite being outnumbered...someone said earlier that it was over after the first goal and that is just not true...lex out shot and out played wando and it was definatly not over in the first half

G
corner kick
corner kick
G

S
kick off
kick off
S
Quote:

4. The players not shaking hands immediately at the end of the game is absolutely inexcusable. I don't care how volatile the atmosphere was....too bad, you shake. This would have been a great opportunity to show good sportsmanship and I think, in time, the girls from both sides will regret that they didn't have the chance to congratulate their opponents.

My two cents.....better luck next year to both teams.

I wasn't at the Lexington game either, but I'm sure it was very hard for the Lexington players to handle the loss and the controversy. My heart goes out to them and with all the emotion on the field, and in the stands, I'm sure the lex players were just emotionally spent, so I don't think we should judge them to harshly for not shaking hands. The coaches for lex should have encouranged them and set an example.

An aside on this subject - I would like to congratulate the Woodruff and BE players for their sportsmanship. After their game, and the ensuing celebration by BE and the understandable disappointment from the Woodruff girls, the two teams drifted to the middle to shake hands. Two Woodruff players were still sitting on the field, visibly upset, and after the BE girls shook hands with the Woodruff players who lined up, they went to the girls still sitting on the field and spoke to them and patted them on the back. In no way do I feel the Woodruff girls were being disrespectful - they were caught up in the moment. I was very proud of the BE girls for realizing that they were not being disrespectful and for going to them to congratulate them on making it to the State game.

Best wishes to the Lex and Wando seniors.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard