Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#89562 07/30/07 01:54 PM
H
goal
OP Offline
goal
H
Has anyone heard that CESA may be joining this program?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I'm surprised Columbia United hasn't been all over it. Have they applied?

Also surprised the Discoveries / Tega Cay folks haven't worked out a cooperative venture.... with Manchester and their proximity to Charlotte they could do some serious stuff.

H
goal
OP Offline
goal
H
No, CUFC hasn't applied. I suppose it is a possibility in the future, depending on how the venture goes, and whether the Club perceives the USSF Academy program to be in the best interests of the kids who would be affected.

I had heard that CESA might be announced as a participant as soon as today (I think the process ends tomorrow) but rumors are rumors.

S
coach
coach
S
Given what I understand about the desires of the USSF with regard to geographic spacing and population density, I'd be surprised if both CUFC and CESA would concurrently be allowed into such a program.

Overall: ringing endorsement of the entire USYSA structure by its affiliating organization, huh?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I agree.....it would be an either or scenario.

I don't understand all of the entanglements of youth soccer.

USSF is the grandaddy organization, right? USYSA and US Club soccer are children, right? My questions:

1. ODP belongs to whom?
2. Regional teams, National teams?
3. Super Y belongs to whom?
4. Regional Premier League play belongs to whom?
5. "Red Bull" league?

The development academy......falls in.....where? IN addition to , or in replacement of?

H
goal
OP Offline
goal
H
All of the entities you mentioned are technically under the umbrella of the USSF. There is no question that the Academy program will affect ODP (run by USYSA), Super Y (run by USL), and all of the state and Premier (run by USYSA) leagues.

I will be very interested to see how this program develops. It's modeled on a European platform. As you may know, participants are not allowed to be involved in any other league play, ODP, State Cups, tournaments (with very few exceptions), etc. The idea is that the level of competition will be uniformly higher than would otherwise be the case. We'll see.

world cup
world cup
Modeled after the European platform?

Only problem is....in Europe the best kids play for free (costs covered by the club).

In the US, the best kids (their parents) pay a fortune to play at the highest level.

Somebody please let me know when this is going to get "fixed".

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Modeled after the European platform?

Only problem is....in Europe the best kids play for free (costs covered by the club).

In the US, the best kids (their parents) pay a fortune to play at the highest level.

Somebody please let me know when this is going to get "fixed".

When the clubs in the US begin to show the kind of revenue that the European clubs realize.

world cup
world cup
That was a softball Coach P.....glad you were able to go yard!

Should I hold my breath? Should I send my kid to the David Beckham Academy? Will he pick up the tab?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
Europeans don't "pickup the tab"; they make investments—expecting returns. Football is lucrative in Europe. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Don't hold your breath. It won't happen in our lifetimes.

Give Davie a call, send him a video, see what he says...

H
goal
OP Offline
goal
H
This is clearly the most likely fault in the program. Absent some serious corporate subsidies, I don't see how any but the most well-off kids would be able to afford to participate. That said, the issue isn't hiding, so the clubs must have made some provision for it. I'd be interested to know how it is being handled by the clubs (North Meck, CASL, Atlanta Fire...) that have joined.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard