Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Hurst66 #91406 12/18/07 03:27 PM
corner kick
corner kick

Yes, this is true. Tatum got an increase in salary and a transportation allowance.

Also Georgia Tech has postponed their induction of Men's and Women's soccer programs because they fired their football coach with 4 years remaining on his contract (about 1 mil/year).

Hurst66 #91407 12/18/07 09:45 PM
G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
If the 94's are carrying 40+ how many are the 93's and 92's carrying? I heard from another parent that there is at least one player on a list that was not at any tryout. I don't know the circumstances but it sure does't seem right after Mary Bynam's "no excuses" speach at tryouts.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
First of all, anytime an administrator is mentioned with ODP and personnel decisions in the same sentence, a main problem in this country's youth system is once again brought to the forefront. When it comes to ODP in South Carolina, Mary Bynum's name is mentioned more then top club or college coaches. BIG PROBLEM!

Second, the top players should be on any list they are good enough for, whether they tryout or not. ODP is supposed to be about getting the best players to the Regional and National levels and NOT about fairness. The ones who complain about "fairness" are usually parents of kids that aren't good enough or are on the bubble to get cut.

Beezer #91409 12/19/07 12:11 PM
world cup
world cup
g-acres,

I believe there are twenty-nine '92 Girls going to the sub-regional in Georgia.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Beezer #91410 12/19/07 01:19 PM
O
kick off
kick off
O
Well said Breezer

S
goal
goal
S
Beezer,

I see the point you are trying to make but am a little confused as to your support. As far as I can tell Mary Bynum's name is only mentioned on this message board and not in connection with any SCYSA player personnel decisions. In fact, my son's ODP invitation specifically states that the coach has selected him to participate. The email comes from Mary as I would expect her to handle such admistrative tasks. As to her speach someone must be able to organize the group of unruly overprotective parents and the coaches certainly don't want any part of that. As a parent, I know I don't!

I agree with your comments concerning the top players should be participating. However, I am not sure it has much to do with participation at tryouts and/or the selection of players whom have not tried out. To the point it has more to do with money than anything else. If the goal is to select the best players than it should be free. Obviously, many great players don't attempt ODP due to financial constraints. In my opinion, players should be invitied to tryout based on their performance in the various leagues within the state. Their respective clubs could nominate them. Once invited those players should not have to foot the bill. This will allow for the selection pool to at least attempt to capture the best players in the state. Sadly, the current system only captures those that can afford it. With the introduction of the academy program one would expect the numbers to decrease which will affect the bottom line. A solution really needs to be defined to ensure the continued success of the ODP program.

Finally, alot of the ODP experience depends on the player and coach. If the player is motivated and the coach is committed the training received is awesome. SCYSA needs to work with the coaches to ensure an adequate number of trainging dates and make sure the coaches are not just padding their personal resumes by going through the motions. Our experience last year was with some of the finest coaching my son has ever received.

Soccer16 #91412 12/19/07 04:28 PM
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
1) Administrator(s) has/have alot more to do with decisions related to players then posted on this message board or presented to parents at an ODP event.

2) Great point! Of course I agree it should be free but, come on, that's not even worth discussing. Will never happen!

3) I agree that ODP does depend on the experience. But thanks for making my point for me because administrators select coaches, training opportunities, teams structures and fees that affect the experience.

The fact that club coaches don't coach ODP is poor. Alot of club coaches are deserving as top coaches and relying just on college coaches is dangerous because a bunch, especially in this state, are not that good and are a reason fees are what they are because of the financial expectation they have for participating. The staff should be a good mixture of club and college and selected, based on evaluation, by a full-time State DOC.

Another source of income for ODP? Mulitple teams at an age group. Not needed! A good coach can pick 18-22 players in a weekend tryout. Then go with that smaller number, train them as much as possible and if you see a quality player along they way in a league or tournament game, then add them to training.

Beezer #91413 12/19/07 04:56 PM
S
goal
goal
S
How important is participating in ODP, when it comes to D-1 college players. Can anyone name any boys/girls that skipped ODP and played for a top 25 program.

corner kick
corner kick
How many SC ODP players are currently playing for a top 25 program?

S
goal
goal
S
fan_of:
Good question, I think that SC ODP has changed big time in the last 3-4 years. I predict several current players will be playing D-1 top team soccer in the near future. In looking at current D-1 rosters, it's hard to find a player without ODP experience. Just my opinion.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard