Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
S
goal
goal
S
Beezer,

Please tell me how the administrators have more to do with the selection of players than the parents are being told? How do you know this? I have spoken with several coaches and have been given no indication that their selections are altered once submitted.

Which will come first the end of ODP or free participation? As I said ODP will begin to feel pressure due to the academy program. Those pressures will cause the structure to be reviewed. If we don't talk about free participation of course it will never happen.

Someone has to select the coaches why not the administrators. There is way too much conspiracy theorism in your arguement. My experience has been that club coaches are involved as assistant coaches. What makes you think that club coaches are not going to carry new and different issues with them.

I too believe one team is enough. However, the smaller numbers give rise to new difficulties as players drop out due to cost, injuries and other commitments. Last year my sons team was barely able to fill a roster when it came time for region camp.

If you look at USC's roster most if not all have ODP experience!

Soccer16 #91417 12/19/07 07:19 PM
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
This is my final post on this topic but PLEASE don't put words in my mouth. I never said administrators select the actual rosters....they do not.

A broad example is team structures but call it what you may. Something like keeping multiple teams for a Sub-Regional event. Ridiculous, in a state like South Carolina.

If the teams are divided to be even, better players suffer not playing with other better players. If divided into A and B teams (better and worse), then why even have a B team? Just bring the top five bubble players on B team to training and give them until Regional Camp selection to prove themselves but don't keep a whole team's worth.

That's a type of personnel decision that 1) effects the better players not showing as well having to play with poor players and getting hammered at the event 2) gives the B team players no chance and 3) is a money maker...more kids going, more kids having to pay. Not needed!

Read the posts again and don't read into them.

S
goal
goal
S
If you can't handle the heat than by all means get out of the kitchen. All I did was ask you to support your comments.

Soccer16 #91419 12/19/07 07:48 PM
S
goal
goal
S
Oops! Your previous post appears to have changed!

I would think the amount of money SCYSA earns off having two teams participating is rather immaterial. The money still seems to be an issue doesn't it. I would think the coaches are more interested in seeing players in game situations. It is frustrating for many with A-B teams or evened teams. However, is it the coaches fault that when he does select one team half the players don't make it to region camp? The second team at least has given him a small opportunity to evaluate a larger pool of players. I do not believe they keep a whole teams worth until region camp but I may be wrong. What hurt's a player's development by training with a coach up to region camp? The "big" money isn't due until June so the coaching received should be worth the small amounts paid up to then.

Soccer16 #91420 12/19/07 07:48 PM
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Thank you. Make sure you read completely before making a public assumption.

Beezer #91421 12/19/07 08:12 PM
H
brace
brace
H
beezer,the only reason i quote you is so i can remember what questions i want to answer.im not just picking on you but you raise some good questions.
as far as the large numbers go i do not have much of a problem with taking many players at a younger age.when my oldest first started i wasnt to crazy about it but if you only took one team the first year these kids can play odp then you may not have enough when they get older.some kids will not come back because of not making it and some just will not come back.the numbers always drop off over time.
as far as the A and B teams go it is not pleaseant either way.you may not make one good team and it hurts some but if you have a good player on a bad team they may get noticed more.remember that odp really is not about team anyway.i have seen them lined up in order by last name and the teams were split just like at practice.they went down the line pointing fingers (ABABABABAB)that is how the two teams were picked.im going to be on the other side on the money issue.i think we do not pay enough.like the old saying is,you get what you pay for.we have college coaches and as far as i know they get no money except maybe for room and board.when they have a practice it is on their own time.at holdover camp in bama two years ago i sat and talked to the mary bynum of texas.you would not believe what coaches are being paid and what parents are paying for odp in texas.they actually have a league these girls play in to try and move up to the A team.i promise you they pay alot more than we do.we pay for transportation,room and board.maybe that is one of the reasons we in sc are a little far behind.
the last thing is mary bynum.i really do not know her but i know she runs a tight ship.i think i am 100 % accurate that mary has no say in who makes a team.if you act up or cause trouble at camp she will send you home.four years ago when mine started she had never stayed overnight anywhere except with realitives.we were really not sure about the overnight stay.after one time with mary i knew i had nothing to worry about.her main concern was the kids.besides,she laid down the law and they were not going to do anything wrong.
as far as politics,well it starts past the sc team.when they look at keeping players sc is not their first option.

sorry for all the spelling errors.

Quote:

This is my final post on this topic but PLEASE don't put words in my mouth. I never said administrators select the actual rosters....they do not.

A broad example is team structures but call it what you may. Something like keeping multiple teams for a Sub-Regional event. Ridiculous, in a state like South Carolina.

If the teams are divided to be even, better players suffer not playing with other better players. If divided into A and B teams (better and worse), then why even have a B team? Just bring the top five bubble players on B team to training and give them until Regional Camp selection to prove themselves but don't keep a whole team's worth.

That's a type of personnel decision that 1) effects the better players not showing as well having to play with poor players and getting hammered at the event 2) gives the B team players no chance and 3) is a money maker...more kids going, more kids having to pay. Not needed!

Read the posts again and don't read into them.

Beezer #91422 12/19/07 08:12 PM
goal
goal
Soccer16 do you or your son play the game? Geesh let the kid enjoy it and have fun!

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
M
brace
brace
M
Why not make a minor adjustment to the structure of ODP at the State level so it functions like it does at the Region Camp level?

At the Region Camp level, players are 1) there to represent their respective home state as a team and 2) there individually to compete for pool games and to be held over for consideration as a region team player, at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE beyond the cost of attending the camp because all of the players in attendance have paid for the ones selected to stay over.

Why wouldn't SC ODP be strengthened by training an entire pool of select players until one month or even two weeks prior to Region Camp? The key here is for everyone to pay for top shelf training and those who are ultimately selected for the team attend Region camp at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, because the fees have been covered by the entire pool of players competing for a place on the team.

This structure would be the same as paying to attend Region Camp and getting held over at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.

What's the ultimate benefit to the player? The player would experience the same energy found at Region Camp where players are competing to move to the next level as a team and individually.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure such a structure would promote player involvement in ODP across the state.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
When and where will the Boys ODP camp be for 2008??
Need to plan for summer VACA now.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
July 2008 Boys Region III Camp
Tuscaloosa, AL at the facilities of the University of Alabama. The dates are:

92's, 93's and 94's Camp 1: July 8-12
(92's, 93's and 94's Holdovers: July 13-15)
91's and 95's Camp 2: July 13 - 17

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard