Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

Having a personal goal to achieve always brings out the best in the athlete who truly wants to do what it takes to succeed. Work hard, be coachable, have a great attitude, spend time with the ball away from practice, do more than is asked of you combined with some natural ability and you might get to play at the next level.

Combine these items with the right environment and you have the essence of the elite player development. You can have all of the personal attributes and be in the wrong environment, or be in the right environment without the personal attributes, and development is stifled.

In my opinion, ODP is not the avenue to "development", but rather exposure and validation of the players previous development.

Bear #91437 01/03/08 02:27 PM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
I guess my question is why could we not meet in the middle? What could we do to reduce the fees of ODP to make it more affordable but not necessarily free? I seriously doubt making it free would bring in many rec players with the skills of kids playing for Cesa, CUFC or Bridge (or any other clubs in the state). There may be a few but the reason your kid plays club ball and not rec is because he/she was probably ready for that challenge and since they got there they have higher levels of coaching not a teammates dad. If they haven't progressed past most rec players you are wasting your money.

But I do like the idea of finding a way to lower the cost through a small SCYS fee, Publix or other sponsors,etc.
Rather than $230 to go the sub regions can we make it more affordable like $115. Rather than $750 or whatever we paid last July can we get to $375. Face it - if your kid does not play ODP he will probably be going to a $400-$600 camp somewhere. If he/she gets good ODP training through the year and good training at region camp in July is it really a bad deal? Plus like Bear said it gives "exposure and validation of the players previous development" all the while serving as a resume builder for potential college ball.

soccer63 #91438 01/03/08 02:39 PM
world cup
world cup

Very easy formula for reducing the cost from $230 to $115.

NCYSA is charging $125 for the weekend in Georgia for the '94 Girls.

No bus, players get their own transportation. Since the players' parents are driving them to Gainesville, the parents are going to stay and watch their daughters play. Thus, the players will stay in hotel rooms with their parents!

Knock out the bus and knock out the hotel rooms.....and you knock down the cost!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #91439 01/03/08 03:37 PM
B
goal
goal
B
In your option you don't knock down the cost, you shift the cost.

For your child to go to these events, either you are going to pay for the group transportation, lodging and meals, or you are going to pay for yours and your childs transportation, lodging and meals.

Of course, for many it's easier to pay the cost if they see the benefit. Meaning, some people would have less of an issue paying for the hotel room for them and their child, and even the meals, since they are then going to be able to watch them play. But I really think, if you actually compare the costs, you will find that to be a more expensive option than the group rates.

One of the things ODP requires is for the players to stay together. So if the parents want to go, then it's an additional cost.

Every year when the topic of cost comes up I've wondered how much is really for increasing the opportunity for the underserved market, and how much is for selfish gain. If the cost of the program was artifically lowered, then more "families" would be able to enjoy the weekend. If it's free for participation, then any cost would be for others to go, not the players.

There probably is a way to offset some of the costs, but that would require money from elsewhere within the SCYSA budget. Currently, ODP is required to be self sufficient.

Bear #91440 01/03/08 04:11 PM
I
goal
goal
I
Funds are already available. The complex funds that are accumulating at SCYS. If we truly want to have the best possible SC team we need to allow everyone of the proper skill to tryout, not just the wealthy. There is a reason the odp parking lot is full of nice sport utility vehicles, the cost of the program, DUH.

Bear #91441 01/03/08 04:14 PM
H
brace
brace
H
all of you are talking about making it easier to get better players by getting the cost down for odp.you may need to get the cost down at the club level so you can get the better players playing soccer in the first place.they may start out at rec but after a few years at the 6,7 and 8 yr old ages the parents start looking at what is the next level.they see the cost and head back to baseball,basketball,etc... if a kid is not getting the best soccer at an earlier age then they most likely do not have the skill for odp anyway.i agree with one of the other post that odp is not to make you a better player but to give you the exsposure.
as far as cutting out the bus ride and hotels to get the cost down.i think that is part of what the kids like.my question would be what do you do for the parents that can not afford to take off work or the gas to get their kid there? do you add that into the fees for other players to pay for some parents to take off work to get their player to the venue? im not going to.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Funds are already available. The complex funds that are accumulating at SCYS. If we truly want to have the best possible SC team we need to allow everyone of the proper skill to tryout, not just the wealthy. There is a reason the odp parking lot is full of nice sport utility vehicles, the cost of the program, DUH.

i drive a saturn but my kid has played 4 yrs

H
brace
brace
H
some of the other states has a league where there may be 6 odp teams at each age.they play each other and if you are not on the A team now you may be if you play well.you get moved up or down according to your play.this way the coaches get a better look at the players over time rather than one or two days.
i know sc could not have that many teams at each age but maybe they could do something similar and it would spread the cost out over time.
you have a tryout and you have a training session and play games maybe once a month for a fee.by the time bama rolls around then you should know who the best players for the team are.also with the training fees being paid it would cut down on the cost of the players going to bama.with not having as many girls to fill several team then maybe you could play up or down some.such as the 91s playing the 90s.

world cup
world cup
Bear,

I would imagine that the vast majority of parents of the 94 Girls will be going to Gainesville to watch their daughters play. If so, then you are not "shifting" the cost....you are making it cheaper for the families. Having said that, I will agree that my daughter very much likes the dorm-style setting where the players and coaches are isolated from the parents.

Hfeet,

I drive a 2000 Dodge Safari van with 200,000 miles on it....and a side panel off of it! As long as my daughters continue playing club soccer we will drive that bad boy into the ground!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #91445 01/03/08 04:43 PM
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Bear,

I would imagine that the vast majority of parents of the 94 Girls will be going to Gainesville to watch their daughters play. If so, then you are not "shifting" the cost....you are making it cheaper for the families. Having said that, I will agree that my daughter very much likes the dorm-style setting where the players and coaches are isolated from the parents.

Hfeet,

I drive a 2000 Dodge Safari van with 200,000 miles on it....and a side panel off of it! As long as my daughters continue playing club soccer we will drive that bad boy into the ground!

but your other car is a beamer
if my kid needs a ride home just make sure the seatbelts work in the van or tie her on to the roof rack real good.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard