Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Seems to have been a lot of games decided on pk's. So far it looks like both 16's and the 18 boys were decided that way. I also heard the 15 girls were decided on pk's as well.

goal
goal
What in the world happened to CUFC? Looks like the same old soccer to me. Well done CESA!

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
G
kick off
kick off
G

Always right- Here are my observations
This years State cup provided some the closest games played in years. Of the 8 finals 4 were decided by pks. Only 2 games was lopsided (cesa u15b 4-0 and cesa u18g 4-0).
On the boys side it would seem hard to say which team is definitvely the strongest in the State aside from in the u15 group.
The 16 boys was decided in Pks- CUFC has beaten CESA twice in other competitions this year and has already qualified for regionals.
17 boys DSC won 1-0- CESA finished higher in R3PE and looks good for a regional berth.
18 boys CESA on pks- Lex finished 2nd in R3PE thus qualifing for regionals.

A lot of fine teams in the State- With 3 boys age groups at least, sending mulitple teams to regionals. This can only be good for soccer in SC.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
if any club other than cesa would have won 5 state cups, finished runner up in 4 others, it would be a circus on here. there would be "insert coach's name here from cufc...for president" campaigns for the next 6 months. no other club won more than 1 state cup and that is why the message board is quiet. so, if you choose to analyze the results that way, then fine. but, the next time the results are in favor of a non-cesa club, have the same perspective and rationalization.

S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

Quote:

...it's pretty clear that there are two dominant clubs in the state....

I think Bridge still has to be considered among the top clubs in the state. The fact that no boys' U16-U18 Bridge teams are in the final 4 was to be expected considering their membership in the USSF Academy. But if by "in the state" you mean "in SCYSA", I would agree with you.

Respectfully, I think that CUFC as a club can this year claim clear dominance over Bridge and has established itself as clearly superior (note: last year I argued against this based on last year's results) CUFC put 8 teams into the final 4. CUFC also had important championships in non-challenge level soccer. I believe that CUFC is the only club other than CESA currently offering the widest range of competitive soccer to all age groups.

I'm by no means a "Bridge-hater" -- I've championed the club for years. But it's clear when looking at final 4 numbers (which are much more statistically significant than finalists or championship numbers) that CUFC deserved a clear #2 (and not a disputed #2) ranking in SC.

coach
coach
It used to be all 8 state championships went to CESA. But 4 and 4 Finalists is still a dominating performance. The more things change the more they stay the same......

Division Champion Finalist Result
U15 BOYS CHALLENGE CUP

CESA 92 Boys Premier Bridge FA 92 Boys Gold 4:0

U15 GIRLS CHALLENGE CUP

Bridge FA 92 Girls Gold CESA 92 Girls Premier 1:0
U16 BOYS CHALLENGE CUP

CESA '91 Boys Premier CUFC '91 Boys Elite 3:2

U16 GIRLS CHALLENGE CUP

CUFC U16 Elite CESA 91 Premier 3:2

U17 BOYS CHALLENGE CUP

DSC 90 Green CESA 90 Premier 1:0

U17 GIRLS CHALLENGE CUP

CESA 90 Girls Premier Columbia United FC 90 Elite 2:1

U18 BOYS CHALLENGE CUP

CESA 89 Boys Premier LCSC United 89 3:2

U18 GIRLS CHALLENGE CUP

CESA 89 Girls Premier CESA 89 Challenge 4:0

Last edited by 2004striker; 12/10/07 04:44 PM.
S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

if any club other than cesa would have won 5 state cups, finished runner up in 4 others, it would be a circus on here. there would be "insert coach's name here from cufc...for president" campaigns for the next 6 months. no other club won more than 1 state cup and that is why the message board is quiet.

I agree. On another thread I published the mathematical expectations regarding finalists and champions so that it could be understood just what CESA achieved as a club. They are to be congratulated.

At the same time, qualitatively, there appears to me to be a decreasing gap between the clubs -- as would be expected for the by far two largest clubs in the state. It will be interesting to see if CESA can beat the "law of averages" and increase their competitive acceleration or whether CUFC will continue to make strides and grow ever more competitive with CESA.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

It will be interesting to see if CESA can beat the "law of averages" and increase their competitive acceleration or whether CUFC will continue to make strides and grow ever more competitive with CESA.

Winning breeds winning. I have witnesed 8 or 10 very good players leave other midlands clubs to go play for CUFC. These players never played in a CSC or NECSA uniform. Last year I talked to several parents who were not all together happy with their CUFC experience - this year I haven't heard the same. I figured they would need several years to work out the "kinks". Looks like they are well on their way.

C
bench
bench
C
CESA u16 Boys was playing with a field player as a keeper in the final against CUFC Elite 91 Boys. He saved two pks to help CESA win the game. Great Job to both teams. It is always a pleasure watching these teams play.

H
goal
goal
H
I'm not sure what the fuss is about. Most of the finals were as competitive as they could be. Four were decided by kicks from the spot (a horrible way to determine a winner - but an accepted part of the game). From what I witnessed, the games were hard and fairly fought. The kids had fun. The parents were nervous wrecks (especially the parents of goalkeepers) and several people have said it was the best day of soccer they've ever witnessed. What's not to love? I'm a CUFC guy. I root for our teams. I respect what CESA has accomplished and recognize it as the most "successful" club in the state. We've done a great job since the merger and I think the "results" gap will continue to narrow. Ultimately though, it's important to keep in mind that this isn't a competition between clubs. The sole purpose of their existence is to create an environment where our kids can play soccer, improve as they can, and have fun.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard