Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
....and for those who feel like you must sign your kid up for Cesa, CUFC or Bridge today remember Jamal Geathers and Mike Gustavson did not play for any of the above.(No - I'm not from Aiken)

S
goal
goal
S
Soccer63
What club/coach does Geathers and Gustavson credit with their development. How successful were their club teams, state cups etc,, Thanks

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Played club soccer for the Aiken Fire and helped the team win four state championships ... Helped the Fire to the Region III semifinals three times and to the finals on two occasions ... Team also won the U-15 Region III championship and went on to the national club finals in 2002. Goose of course played at USC and Geathers was recruited by USC also. Both now play at Clayton State.

Clayton State Men's soccer

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...This years State cup provided some the closest games played in years. Of the 8 finals 4 were decided by pks. Only 2 games was lopsided (cesa u15b 4-0 and cesa u18g 4-0).

It seems that the competition is getting better each year in the Challenge Cup, particularly in the finals. The average margin of victory in the championship matches has decreased from 2.38 in 2005 to 2.00 in 2006 to 1.75 this year.

world cup
world cup
Coach P,

Nice analysis. (Is Chico subcontracting out some of his work?)

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
He seems to be semi-retired. I just thought someone needs to do some of it.

S
coach
coach
S
More "semi-busy" than "semi-retired"; I've had some clients go critical in the last few months.

Coach P: I think your goal differential numbers show the improvement of CUFC and its separation from any other club or clubs. I understand that Bridge had basically 2-3 teams out of SCYSA/USYSA play; but even if you use these numbers you can tell that CUFC has really made strides -- and the strides are on the most important things, broadening out their program and doing a better job of offering a great youth soccer experience for a lot of kids. I thought the fact that they were the only club over expectation in terms of finalists is more important because of RIIIPL eligibility.

I'm not a fan of the way CUFC got started, but I think it's important to give credit where credit is due.

With all of that said, it's hard not to continually be impressed with what CESA has accomplished. I just hope that they don't rest on their laurels but instead aggressively push ahead with a set of new initiatives to strengthen the club.

S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

....and for those who feel like you must sign your kid up for Cesa, CUFC or Bridge today remember Jamal Geathers and Mike Gustavson did not play for any of the above.(No - I'm not from Aiken)

While Goose never played for CESA, Jamaal and Eric did as U19's. I understand that's a technicality; but thought I'd raise it in any case.

Goose, Jamaal, Eric, and the rest of the Aiken Fire guys are not only fantastic players but are really great guys. Justin Rhodes, their coach, was also a good guy. It's easy for people to talk about how "it's all about the kids"; Justin and those guys lived it. Several years ago, they let a 4'11" 95 pound girl go to all their summer practices leading to regionals, pushed her hard, and treated her with respect -- and best of all didn't physically kill her like they easily could have. These guys are great.

If you want to tell whether a club really believes in "it's all about the kids", see how many have truly open practices and welcome any ambitious kid in regardless of dues and the like.

throw in
throw in
Sweet feet & Happy feet:

Not related I guess. CESA folks sure get their feathers ruffled when someone gives their opinion. I think you are missing the point. I NEVER SAID CESA WOULD NOT BE GOOD, JUST NOT DOMINANT!!!! CESA held the top spots in R3 for several years. MPSC was finishing a strong second but were choosing not to play in R3 for whatever reason. The option to play in R3 was CESA. Now the option is at CUFC in almost all age groups. The options are changing for people who travel from the Charleston area. That is all I am saying.

Sweet feet: Say all you want about CASL & WAGS, but I think it is ridiculous to hang all your hopes on one tournament. What if you have a bad tournament, you are sick, you are hurt, seems to be shortsighted just for the weather and field conditions. Also, you might want to tell the 538 Women's College Coaches that attended the CASL Shootout this year your view of the fields. REMEMBER coaches don't offer who they don't see.

Soccer is a game you just have to love!!!!
throw in
throw in
Sweet feet:

I guess you are not going to Regionals next year since they are at Raleigh. Cow pastures?

Soccer is a game you just have to love!!!!
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard