South Aiken vs Brookland-Cayce

Disclaimer: This recap is blatantly biased. South Aiken Coach Michael "Yes, I got this sweat suit for Christmas - No, I don't have to look like a soccer coach" Young is a dear "friend" of mine - the type of dear friend that you want to see suffer an epic defeat. Mind you, out of no ill will towards his players, but humble pie sure is tasty!

My actual disclaimer is that though these teams certainly did not take this match lightly - it was a consolation game and was played more or less "just for fun."

Both teams traded possession for the opening minutes, until South Aiken's midfield took over. Sophomore Maggie Bosley and junior Nicole Neill muscled their way up the center of the field creating opportunities, but lacking the final ball.

The Lady Bearcats enjoyed several opportunities of their own from the hands of senior Randall Dominguez. On several occasions the Thoroughbred box turned to chaos under the pressure of a Dominguez throw, but all chances were left wanting.

As the half progressed, South Aiken's Melissa Harris and Nicole Gaul joined Bosley and Neill to form an impressive strike force. However, the Lady T-Breds left four (three when they were pressing!) defenders back at all times.

Where is the sense of adventure?!

0-0 at the Half

Both teams came out of the break with a little more pep, but not enough to produce a goal. B-C's senior midfielder Cayla Fralick emerged as a ball dealer, playing some impressive early balls. The sibling duo of Kayla and Kellie Bingham also provided the Lady Bearcats with several opportunities, the best of which being a wonderful strike from Kayla that was pushed just over the crossbar by 2nd half keeper R.B. Wyatt.

The game finished at a decent pace, with South Aiken pressing for the win. Unable to unlock the B-C eighteen yard box, the game ended in a tie - OR DID IT?!

Penalty kicks were had to decide a "winner" though officially the match is apparently ruled a tie.

South Aiken missed their first two spot kicks then converted their next two. Brookland-Cayce sunk the first three with the forth sailing wide right. B-C keeper Alley Greer finished the match with an emphatic penalty kick that struck the inside of the left post, crossed the goal mouth, and stuck just inside the opposite post.

Unofficial stats:
Shots- SA:5 - B-C:9
SOG- SA:2 - B-C:7
Corners- SA:5 - B-C:2