Let's get something straight - I am not blasting the WH Coach nor did I. It was obvious that they kept scoring and it is definitely possible that it could not be helped.

I have great respect for him. My daughter played for him, and he taught her a great deal about killer instinct and playing for blood, as well as soccer, and being on a team. He is a friend. His family would be considered friends by my family. Actually, my daughter is friends with almost all of the WH girls.

Their coach is one of the fiercest competitors I have ever met or known, and he would take that as a complete compliment and nothing else. He plays to win, and has never held a score down. He downs add "rules" like 10 passes, etc. but historically scores very high against weaker teams. I respect that.

Don't put words in my mouth. And don't tell me what I think.

Also, you may want to get your facts straight. We have never played Berea as far as I know. We has a scrimmage earlier with 4 own goals and several balls that were just passed to the front area and went into the goal. That team has a new goalie, new forwards, and has changed the way it plays. It wasn't Berea.

Also, loved your "recap" of the WH - Greer game. "Pulled everyone out with 5 minutes gone and the score 5-0". In case you missed it, the 3 leading scorers for WH had both 3-4 goals and 3-4 assists each. Maybe they did it from their own 18, but probably not.

There are two rules of thought on scoring in lopsided games. One is to kill the opponent and score every chance you get. The other extreme is to "do onto others as you would have them do unto you." Maybe you never got beat 20-0 as Blue Ridge did several years ago three games in a row. Not fun. I respect any coach who plays full out, any coach who plays with additional "hold-back" rules like 10 passes, headers only, etc. And I CHOOSE to be a coach who teaches my players not to run up the score. Saw Andy Robinson at Eastside and Terry Archenhold at Riverside sit on small leads against our team last year and it was one of the classiest things I have ever experienced.

We have won three 7-0 games this year when we did not shoot after we reached that score. I don't let my players score more than 3 goals. It's a BR rule. Doesn't have to be anybody elses' rule. It's mine. I believe it is respectful.

Don't forget that the first post on that 17-0 score was from a parent of a Wade Hampton player, and anyone who knows their kids knows exactly who that parent is. BOTH the coach and the parent are very classy. That parent was embarassed.

Keep your cool. Soccer is a game for the kids; don't ruin it with hatred.

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 04/03/08 11:15 PM.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset