Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 33 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 32 33
goal
goal
Sorry...more hugs and kisses...

Apart from Mr Murray's obvious shortcomings (and shortness) he makes several excellent points (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little).

There have been many, MANY backseat drivers on this board; people who have had ALL the answers (even when no questions have been asked), and who are then astonished and astounded when their perfect plan has not been implemented by anyone.

But what have the vast majority of them actually done to help? Math, statistics and gambling have never been a strong point of mine, but I'd be willing to bet that there are two dozen people (probably less) at SSC who do 95% of what it takes to run the place on a day-to-day basis.

I see it every week – parents who think the referees are idiots, parents who think the coaches are idiots and of course, parents who think the people who run the soccer clubs are idiots. But, have these same people: taken courses to learn the laws of the game, coached a team themselves, helped out when clubs ask for volunteers, or gone to board meetings and ASKED the clubs what they can do to help?

(pause for effect) No.

And you can't really even compare the lowcountry to the Greenville area and say "look what they've (CESA) done, let's do that here. It worked for them, it'll work for us."

Geographically, the two areas are totally dissimilar. One look at a map will tell you that. Up there, you had two of the state's largest clubs, who were both located within the same city. Here, you have Charleston, N Charleston, Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, etc. (I apologize for leaving anyone out – no slight meant). Those are only a couple of the differences.

Point being (I think), raising a soccer club is like raising children. No two are alike and they aren't always going to eat their vegetables. Don't be the annoying bachelor uncle who tells his siblings that they should beat their children if they want them to grow up right.

Get off your butt, get out there, and DO something!

Mr Murray, you have my vote!!!

Last edited by Belligerent; 04/15/08 03:17 PM.
Shibumi #99528 04/15/08 03:22 PM
H
goal
goal
H
I don't know anything about the incident(s) to which you refer. I was just wondering whether this arrangement with SSC was similar to the CESA-Columbia thing or was merely a consulting agreement between the club and Tormey and Hyslop for their expertise in running and growing SSC as a truly independent entity. I don't have a dog in the "fight," but was/am curious as to what SSC is agreeing to.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
"I will applaud CESA for being great recruiters. And if you convince the talent to come, you will win..just like college soccer. Lets not confuse good marketing and recruiting with superior coaching."

There are many other like minded persons out here; thanks for the voice of reason!

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

GS DAD,

That U 12 is very good and Jim is a great guy and coach. However, I do not think they have played the CUFC Elite team 11 a side, (Have they?) and in fairness, they have picked up kids from CUFC and Congaree within the last year or so. This again is good recruiting, something they will need to keepdoing to keep that quality team together and get the numbers for 11 aside. I imagine CESA greenville will be a good connection there. Those kids are very good though. I take nothing from them.

We don't have the players to play 11 a side but will be looking to fill out the roster to do just that in the fall. That same team U-12 11v11 CUFC Elite team was in our league at U-11 but by some "quirk" in scheduling we never met through 2 seasons despite the fact that we each played some of the other teams twice in one season. You can make up your own decision as to why we were never scheduled.
None of the kids on this team have ever played for CUFC. We do have some from Congaree. And all the talk about inferior coaching at CESA-Columbia makes me laugh when I think about Jim who is top notch. Much better than watching your kids play while the coach was sitting in a chair on his cell phone the whole game which is what we got before joining CESA-Columbia.

Last edited by GSDad; 04/15/08 03:27 PM.
HappyDaddy #99531 04/15/08 03:29 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
I second that. What is SSC agreeing to?

I've been trying to get background on the SSC/BFA situation to relate things to this answer. I don't care about personal squabbles, who someone is or isn't by their log-in name, etc.

Can anyone fill in some details on this SSC/CESA thing?

goal
goal
loc dog,

Just for the record, it goes like this: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

HappyDaddy #99533 04/15/08 03:33 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Bear,

I'm from Columbia and proud of it, and I have seen first hand what CESA Columbia is about. CESA Greenville has good teams, and the good players from Columbia that are recuited has to travel to Greenville. So the structure they are seeking is no where else but in Greenville. Anyone thinking that the CESA heads would make another organization shine more than there own is crazy.
So whatever Summerville is seeking they are better off hire someone independent. I guess LOC Dog is lobbying for the position of DOC at Summerville. In the last year CUFC has competed and closed the gap on CESA Greenville.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
yeah, my numbers were wrong there. did you bother to check the other numbers in my posts?

H
goal
goal
H
Quote:

In the last year CUFC has competed and closed the gap on CESA Greenville.

You're in for it now.

HappyDaddy #99536 04/15/08 03:51 PM
goal
goal
kickinit,

Regarding the SSC/BFA situation, I pointed you in the right direction - have you found anything yet?

Regarding the "SSC/CESA thing," as shibumi quoted from the BFA website, Tormey and Hyslop will "provide the overall club management of SSC."

It sounds to me like SSC has hired the two of them to manage the club (versus being a director of coaching, which the two of them will help locate and hire). I am thinking it would be like being the manager of a store - you get a nice, air conditioned office (not necessarily at the same location, but an office, nonetheless), you hire people, you fire people, you make sure the place is kept clean, you schedule people to work, you hang your certificates on the wall, you wear a coat and tie so people know you are the head cheese, you walk around the place every now and then to make all the worker bees nervous, etc.

I've never been a manager, but that's what I think they probably do.

Are you wanting to see the actual contract between the parties involved?

Page 14 of 33 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard