Quote:

SSC?

Summerville Soccer Club

M
kick off
kick off
M
SSC Seeking Nominations for SSC Board
SSC is looking for a few good people to serve on the next SSC Board. Board members serve as the leadership for the club. The following positions will be filled at the next Board elections in the summer, 2008:

Vice President (President-Elect)
Treasurer
Secretary
Registrar
Facilities Coordinator
Micro Coordinator
Rec Coordinator
Volunteer Coordinator

What happen to the Folks in these Positions Now???

B
goal
goal
B
SSC has 13 board members, serving 2 year terms, so half are elected each year. Only the VP is elected each year, because the second year they move into the president. So, this is the normal election process at work for those positions. I wouldn't try to read anything more into that.

B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

JUST ONE MORE WAY FOR SSC TO GET BACK AT CLARK AND THE BRIDGE

This implies SSC has something that causes them to feel slighted. What do they have to get back at him for?

Assuming this is true, there was a time when I would have agreed with you. However, given some of the recent actions, I think that SSC believes they are looking out for the best interest of all players at the club at this time, and moving forward.

S
coach
coach
S
Several comments:
  • CESA can't "take over" anybody. CESA is not people, it is an operating entity as defined by its affiliating organizations (and by state and federal incorporation rules.) CESA is not a "South Carolina" club, because there's no such thing -- the SCYSA invented the concept of a "district club" expressly to keep any South Carolina club from being organized such that it had teams that were made up of more than 50% of players from its non-headquartered district. Thus a "CESA takeover" of another club is impossible if the club is to field teams that compete in SCYSA leagues.

• The full-time club managers of CESA can be invited into an area, either via an existing club or via a group of people that want to form a club, to create and/or organize another club. This is what occurred with CESA-Columbia. As I understand it, Pearse Tormey is the president of that club and Andrew Hyslop is the executive directory (or something like that.)

• If (and I stress if) the professional managers of CESA are being asked to come in and work with SSC, what I would expect you to see is a shift in focus away from a political and parent-centric club (this isn't a shot at SSC -- it's just the way almost any club that doesn't have full-time professional managers is operated) and more toward a professionally managed club that is focused on offering better services that are currently available. That's the only reason to invite the full-time professionals into an area.

Practically, what's the difference? Well, if this is occurring, I would agree with Bear that this isn't an issue of one club taking a shot at another club. Instead, it would be the desire to provide more and better services to children than are available now.

We discussed this years ago when CESA started -- and discussed it again when CESA-Columbia began -- there is a fundamental attitudinal shift between a professionally led and managed club and one that is not. When Bridge began I lauded them as trying another approach -- and that we needed different approaches out there. My guess -- and it's a guess, mind you -- is that if this is really occurring it's a continuing shift toward professionally managed and operated organizations that focus on providing increasingly superior services. But that's again a guess...

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
i doubt cesa would go down to summerville in an advisory role...give me a break.

and why do people continue to speak of bridge and anyone else for that matter when speaking about cesa or the concept of a professional club?

bridge = smoke and mirrors
cufc = country club

columbia soccer club were a better model and product as a solo act -- think freddie mercury with queen vs post queen

goal kick
goal kick
I would add that if you compare CESA Columbia with CESA Greenville they are not operationally integrated. While Pearse Tormey may be the president of CESA-C, Eddie Crosby handles day to day operations. CESA Columbia exists as a local midlands club, with its own teams and coaches. While there are ties, the players, who are all Academy age, think of themselves as CESA Columbia players. They only go to Greenville for tournaments. CESA Columbia is even planning to field a u13 Select team next year, so the prediction that it would "feed" Greenville's select teams hasn't come true (yet, at least).

I agree, however, with the observation that CESA Columbia, is a "professionally run club" in the sense that it has a professional coaching staff that operates according to a coordinated coaching philosophy. I imagine that's true of several Midlands clubs, including CUFC; it really comes down to which club, and team, is the right fit for individual players.

don't know enough about SSC to say what the CESA connection will mean. However, it does not seem that SSC would necessarily go to war with the Bridge. For instance, I doubt that CUFC is threatened in the least bit by CESA-Columbia, which represnts only a small fraction of the midlands player pool.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

While there are ties, the players, who are all Academy age, think of themselves as CESA Columbia players...
CESA Columbia is even planning to field a u13 Select team next year...

CESA Columbia fielded a U15 girls select team this past fall.

goal kick
goal kick
sorry, I was talking about the boys.

Page 2 of 33 1 2 3 4 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard