Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Should the SCHSSCA support a proposal to ask the SCHSL to modify the current State Championship Weekend format?

The issues that have been raised are as follows:

1. The two-hour window does not properly allow for the post-game awards ceremony and the start of the next match on scheduled time.

2. Any games going to overtime/penalty kicks results in a domino effect for every other scheduled match. The J.L. Mann / Wando boys match scheduled for a 7 pm start, did not actually kickoff until after 9 pm. The teams had been there for the better part of 4-5 hours before playing the most important match of the year.

3. Weather delays also contribute to the timing of matches.

SCHSL State Championship Weekend Change?
single choice
Leave it the way it is (6%, 1 Votes)
Increase time between games to at least 2:30 (50%, 9 Votes)
Start games on Thursday (28%, 5 Votes)
Other - explain below (17%, 3 Votes)
Total Votes: 18
Voting on this poll ends: 05/22/17 01:10 PM
Last edited by Kevin Heise; 05/15/17 01:15 PM.
Goal
Goal
For Friday games, I don't think you can change much. You could put the games starting at 1pm start and then do a 2 Hour gap.
1A/2A Girls: 1pm
2A Boys: 3pm
4A Girls: 5pm
4A Boys: 7pm

Saturday, start the games at 9 with a 2.5 Hour gap:
1A Boys: 9am
3A Girls: 11:30am
3A Boys: 2pm
5A Girls: 4:30pm
5A Boys: 7:00pm

This would allow plenty of time for OT, Awards, and etc. Also if a game ends on time, you're looking at teams being able to get a good warm up on the game field. Just a suggestion.

Goal
Goal
If games started Thursday

Thursday games:

1A/2A Girls: 5pm
2A Boys: 7:30pm

Friday Games:

3A Girls: 5pm
3A Boys: 7:30pm

Saturday Games:

4A Girls: 12pm
4A Boys: 2:30pm
5A Girls: 5pm
5A Boys: 7:30pm

Now some different combinations could also be made, you could do, 1A/2A and 3A Girls on Thursday and put 2A Boys with 3A Boys on Friday

OR

If you want big schools for each night have 3A play Thursday, 4A play Friday, and have 2A Boys and Girls play with 5A Saturday. That might would give a better chance for bigger turnout for the 2A games BUT might not be as appealing leading up to the "heavy hitters"

S
Brace
Brace
S
Here's the issue with a 9am game.......a team has to travel 3 hours to get there. They'd have to leave by 5am to get to the stadium & get ready for a championship game

Game times should be pushed to 2 1/2, in case of OT/PKs and the trophy presentation.

I think Kyle said it or maybe it was someone else, bu what about having another venue as well for championship weekend? Maybe do 1a/2a games at one venue & 3a-5a at another venue

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Been a while, but here is my opinion.
1. Make the tournament 3 weeks long. 3 games in 5 days with weather issues is crazy anyway and isn't proper rest for a contact sport.
2. Let everyone in. Have a meeting for seeding purposes. Everyone is seeded. Bottom 20 would play on the first date, with top 22 teams (5a) having a bye. Adjust by classification. This would also allow teams from stacked regions to get in and make a run and the SCHSL would make a bunch of money on the extra games. Baseball and softball are still playing, why not soccer?
3. Have finals on 3 days. Thursday 2a, Friday 1a boys and 3a, Saturday 4a and 5a.
Friday would be 2, 4:30, 7
Saturday would be 10, 1, 4, 7
4. Separating them would be bad when you have 1 school with teams in both games. I'm sure the fans want to see both games as would some of the players.
5. This gives you some leeway in case there is bad weather.

That goes a little more in-depth, but I think would solve a number of different issues. Hard to have kids playing the biggest game of the year at almost midnight.

Goal
Goal
Agreed travel would be a huge factor. That would lead to using 3 days for the Championship games which isn't a horrible idea.

Goal
Goal
Originally Posted By: Snicklefritz
Been a while, but here is my opinion.
1. Make the tournament 3 weeks long. 3 games in 5 days with weather issues is crazy anyway and isn't proper rest for a contact sport.
2. Baseball and softball are still playing, why not soccer?

100% agree with this. Say you have bad weather for boys. You play on Wednesday and Thursday or Friday/Saturday. Schedules are already hard to get some decent non-region ames due to a tight season. So you have to play back to back games. It's annoying

Goal
Goal
As many of you know, the SCHSSCA benefits from the concessions of the SCHSL championships. We are the only organization that runs them. I agree that splitting them over multiple days would ease the time; however, I for one take a day off of work to go and sell drinks and food to the fans that come and watch the matches. Having to take multiple days, especially this close to the end of school, would be frowned upon. In addition, in my opinion, the SCHSSCA was poorly represented during the matches. I would say we possibly had 15-20 of it members there helping raise money for the NSSC and the Clash. If we had more help from organization members, I say split it up. But I promise you, that will not happen. The same individuals are alway there and we are seeing very few new faces. For us to benefit financially, we need to keep it in the time frame we have it, but adding time between matches must happen so we are not playing at midnight.

Sean Vick
Christ Church Soccer
S
Brace
Brace
S
Originally Posted By: Sean Vick
As many of you know, the SCHSSCA benefits from the concessions of the SCHSL championships. We are the only organization that runs them. I agree that splitting them over multiple days would ease the time; however, I for one take a day off of work to go and sell drinks and food to the fans that come and watch the matches. Having to take multiple days, especially this close to the end of school, would be frowned upon. In addition, in my opinion, the SCHSSCA was poorly represented during the matches. I would say we possibly had 15-20 of it members there helping raise money for the NSSC and the Clash. If we had more help from organization members, I say split it up. But I promise you, that will not happen. The same individuals are alway there and we are seeing very few new faces. For us to benefit financially, we need to keep it in the time frame we have it, but adding time between matches must happen so we are not playing at midnight.

Very valid points to consider.

I don't know if there's a system where we can have different SCHSSCA reps rotating "shifts" every year. I know I couldn't get to make it this year, but have already marked championship Saturdays to be at the games helping out

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
C
Brace
Brace
C
Coaches another point to consider is rest! If you have to play on Thursday you only get 3 days(girls) and 2 Days(boys) to recover and now what if your Lower State Finals game gets postponed due to weather? Boys game that was to be played on Tuesday is now played on Wednesday, State Championship is scheduled for Thursday, not fair to those players at all. I would think you would like at least 3 -4 days to recover from a LS finals game. WE want both teams to be at there best for the state finals! Just something to consider, thanks for the time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard