Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone out there wanna voice their disagreements??? I don't think the whole site should be "password protected". It's a great site and all, and I understand the need for funding, but at least keep the message board open to standing members. Some people don't have $50 to spare for a subscription like this...Anyway, just thought I'd get the ball rollin. Let's see some thought in this one.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
wfatheadm:

First let me thank you for your continued patronage to the SCSOCCER.COM web site.

In response to your statement about the whole site being password protected, all that I can say is that I personally know how much time Kyle puts into promoting high school soccer in our state and the return is often minimal for the efforts that go into creating/maintaining this web site. His maintenance of this site rivals that of what some of us do in our "regular jobs."

The way I see it, two officials for one game cost us $70 for a prep soccer match. For $50 you get a whole year of soccer information that you simply cannot get anywhere else. In addition, the costs of running a site like this are often only covered with "current memberships" meaning not a lot of excess to make it worth-the-while.

Just my opinions on something that I've tried to get Kyle to go "private" for two years now, because most of the other quality prep sites have done this out of sheer financial responsibility.

Hopefully enough people care about S.C. prep soccer to find it necessary for them to purchase a subscription in 2003!

Kevin Heise
Brookland-Cayce HS
SCHSSCA President

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I definately understand where you and Kyle are coming from. However, I still disagree w/ the message board being protected. I've never been to any website where the message boards or forums were protected and you had to subscribe to read them. Also, the amount of work that is put into this site is quite noticeable and appreciated. I know that I couldn't do a thing like this. But please...just take a moment to consider keeping the message board alive to current members. I know that often times I've visited this site just to stay posted on current hot topics in the message board. Again, just consider or have a discussion w/ Kyle and others about the message board. Thanks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the only problem with going protected...is that not only has this site slowed down alot over the near past....I rember when their were many more people on here...and they would talk alot....but when the whole thing about trash talking and kicking people off ended...there were not nearly as many people left to still put up messages...Now that this will be password protected I fear that again you will lose many of the people that still do put up messages...so if you wanted the site to start to charge....then you will not make the money that your expecting...just a couple of ideas but I think your taking a step in the wrong direction.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
kevin and all 1190 members!

What will it cost! for Kyle to keep this site FREE, for current and future members in 2003,for the next 1-2 years.

And I will speak to my Assciates and we will see about sending a check for $.....

But! one thing that I would like to see change, is have all member post their real NAMES along with their soccer handle. This will hold all members accountable for what they write.
I feel this will cut down on a lot of member bashing. Also this will maintained the level of professionalism I feel has been established by this site.

All the best for NEW YEAR!

Regards
Mr D Blanquart "Le Coach"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
APPRECIATE WHA'CA GOT MAN.Kyle works very hard at MAINTAINING a unique place for us to carry on about soccer- and breaking soccer news.

R
goal kick
goal kick
R
I agree that the website is kept up very well, IF, your main focus is high school soccer. I enjoy following soccer at all levels, not only high school. If he truly wants to get my $50, he will begin to track club soccer/MLS/Premier (with links) with the same enthusiasm that he tracks high school. I don't think that this will happen. I probably won't see the replies to this, since I won't be able to get on tomorrow. I would pay a reasonable fee ($10/yr) for this forum, but as for paying for the site to have the forum, it is not worth it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rcates

You made some valid points,I would also be agreeable to a small fee to maintain the site which I have offered.

Happy New Year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with the non payment for the message board. I log on to see whats up and not all the other sites. I think you will lose alot of people who want to express their views and see what others think about the upcoming soccer year. I'm sure there is alot of work to this but those who want go into the real serious stuff, may want pay for that privilege, but the board should stay relativly free.

World Cup
World Cup
Robbie Cates -

Thanks for your input.

I think you'll agree with me that when this site operates as the official web site of the South Carolina High School Soccer Coaches Association that the main purpose is to promote prep soccer in the Palmetto State.

Yes, we unabashedly promote the high school soccer game, but if you've ever used the FREE links provided at www.scsoccer.com, you are sure to have been delivered to your preferred destination whether it be club, collegiate, or professional.

I like the idea of only a $10 charge for the Message Board use -- that would certainly offset that cost and also relegate it for people that truly want to discuss soccer and not just "bash another person behind an anonymous name".

I think you'll also agree that your comment of "as for paying for the site to have the forum, it is not worth it" is because you and your family have chosen not to enjoy the high school experience because the Cates have been so wrapped up in the "glory of club soccer". This is not attacking club soccer or you at any extent, but it's obvious that you prefer (from reading your posts on the Message Board) the "eclectic soccer persona" involved with the club level instead of the "play with the hand your dealt" philosophy that pervades in the prep game. I think it's interesting that high school coaches have gone out and promoted what has long been considered a "second-tier" sport in prep athletics and have turned on so many young people to soccer at relatively no cost to the individuals.

Again, thanks for your input and discussion and I'm sure I'll see you around the pitch this spring at some high school soccer matches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard