Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174781 04/30/18 01:24 PM
eMnAvA Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Anyone have thoughts on Playoffs this year?

Can Wando remain undefeated and repeat?

Will it be an Eastside v Chapin Final?

Will 3A be a toss-up or can BE become the power house again?

2A: Grey vs St. Joseph Semi then vs Academic Magnet in the Final?

ANY UPSETS? I think this year will be an exciting year for playoffs so have some fun and voice your thoughts. Next year will be a whole near animal with realignment.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
While BE lost a Sr. piece early in the season to ACL, it has plenty of depth and talent to go all the way (without him).
And with only a few graduating, I see their potential and success continuing years out. They will be hard to stop in 3A this, or any year.
I do wonder much longer term whether Philip Simmons, Wando (MP) restructuring, or other school changes may slow things down for them, but honestly doubt it.

eMnAvA Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Indian Land is out I believe. Surprised. They usually have a deep run in them every year or so

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
One prediction is the HSL might wake up to the fact that these brackets are 1/2 empty. Or maybe not. They hibernate when its not football season.

But the fact they are likely means both upper and lower could be eight teams and the round one games dropped.

Sad but if that many teams either dont exist because 2A doesnt have enough programs or because they just dont care, then make it worth something for thos who want to compete. Or go to 12 teams with first round bys for the top 4.

And be careful about leveling. Gray Coll. Girls in lower state as number 2 makes no sense. You send out #17 not number 2.

AMHS v Gray in boys final could be epic.

eMnAvA Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
It'll be interesting next year. I'm sure at some point 1A/2A boys will combine. I agree either give byes or make it worth while. Until you have soccer people making soccer decisions nothing real productive will happen.

GCA vs AMHS will be interesting to see.

I'm just ready to see some big matchups tomorrow and next week.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
This is more timely and accurate than the SCHSL site

Boys brackets

Girls brackets

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
HSL needs to let everyone in at ALL levels, seed teams at ALL levels and then let the top 10 or so seeds get byes. Make the tournament a week longer so that the CONTACT sport of soccer only plays 2 games a week (like basketball, even though it is not a contact sport). Top team on bracket is home team regardless of seeding, like the NCAA. You beat a higher seed, you have earned the right to a home game if you are on the top line.
While you are at it, eliminate OT and PKs in regular season. End in a tie, it's soccer. Otherwise, during football line up the field goal units and kick best of 5 with the defense on the field from 35. Team with the best kicker wins.

Goal
Goal
For the 2A girls, only 7 lower state teams wanted to participate. Everyone has the chance to do so. Gray and Andrew Jackson volunteered to come to the lower state and everyone in the room was okay with it, including myself.

As a former 5A boys coach, I wish they would do a seeding meeting like they do in 2A. It's possible for two of the best teams in the state to be from the same region.
I don't know how many years this has been now, but Wando Boys, the best team in the nation, has to go to River Bluff.

S
Brace
Brace
S
Since my boys got knocked out early, I guess I can chime in now.

5a game will be interesting as NF has had a great season. Wando is Wando, but I think it'll be a closer game than some may think. Wando wins 2-1

4A - Another great match-up. It should be a very tough defensive matchup with these two teams. Toss-up who can win this one

3A - Defending undefeated champ defends its crown against the traditional powerhouse. Berea is very technically sound and very good overall, while BE is......BE. BE dethrones the King and takes the title

2A - St. Joseph's has come outta nowhere to get their rematch against a very good AM side. I think AM will once again come out on top this year in their final season in 2A

1A - Governor's school has looked like an offensive power so far these playoffs, putting 11 & 9 goals respectively. Charleston has had a tougher road, winning in PKs in the 2nd round & defeating the champions 2-1 last night. GSSM will win this one

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Goal
Goal
Misael, can't wait to see you on sportscenter for your analysis. Maybe they will bring you in for the studio show. Better yet, you should commentate the games for ESPN the Ocho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard