Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
Looks like the CPL has expanded to their offering in Columbia.
Augusta Arsenal
GPS Lexington
SC United
GA Bulls
Charlotte Independence.

I have no idea how they will schedule, but it seems like that makes for some really good competition at the u8-u12 ages.

https://www.usclubsoccer.org/news_article/show/1017429

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Thats not expansion. Thats the ame teams from last year, just cpl splitting off the coastal area teams

M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
Before, I think some of those clubs still had teams in the sandlapper league. Now I think they have moved all their teams into the CPL. Which theoretically should help the cpl grow. Im not sure what that means for the sandlapper league.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
For clarity for readers and for what I know.
This development includes lower level U8 - U12 in a local setting (CPL Central in Columbia) - (similar to CPL South in Charleston).

Recall that CPL has two tiers in U8-U12 (local/south in our case and statewide at u11/12). At U11/12 you can have up to 5 tiers, whereas U8-U10 is limited to 3.

123D is correct in that most of these clubs participated in the statewide divisions (U11/12) of CPL last year, but not the CPL south local divisions. This is what is expanding.

Somewhat related, these clubs will send their top teams to the CPL Super Cup for age groups U8-U12 this weekend in Columbia. We are sending 13 teams to face new competition from these clubs, many of which we would not have faced in CPL South.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
David, thanks for the clarity and explanation. Makes sense

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Originally Posted By: Cainhoy Athletic

Somewhat related, these clubs will send their top teams to the CPL Super Cup for age groups U8-U12 this weekend in Columbia. We are sending 13 teams to face new competition from these clubs, many of which we would not have faced in CPL South.

Don't the top teams, at least for u11 and u12, play in the state-wide league? If not, why? If so, aren't they simply playing the same teams at those ages they play all year?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Some do and others not.

There is not a hard promotion/relegation policy at these young age groups and so clubs/teams can select level of competition.
In some cases, some may not want to travel statewide at 10 years old and choose CPL South div I. This Super Cup competition is club based and in some cases teams can be adjusted, such that a particular team playing lower level in CPL South can be made more competitive through adjustments to rosters (akin to guest players).

But you are correct, there will be some teams at U11/12 who will face some teams they see in league play. In that regard (at upper age/talent level) I would consider this more like the SCYS State Cup format at U14 where top teams move forward to play each other again.

I know our teams are very excited about this opportunity and event

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
Just looking at the numbers,, it seems their will be far more teams playing US Club soccer than for scysa.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
They are not mutually exclusive.

S
Goal
Online Content
Goal
S
Or they weren't maybe they will be next year?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard