world cup
OP Offline
world cup

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Eriksson said: 'Maybe it is my biggest, bravest, boldest gamble.'

I guess that's a luxury you have when you've already submitted your resignation to be effective immediately after the WC.

I'm glad to see him do something exciting for a change. England has gotten to be a bit too predictable. If the kid scores an important goal, how much do you think his autographed picture would be worth on eBay?

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
do u have one?

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
From ESPN soccernet

Walcott says he can handle the pressure

Theo Walcott believes he can handle the pressure of playing at the World Cup after being named in England's 23-man squad at the age of 17.

The Arsenal forward, yet to play a competitive game for the Gunners, was the shock inclusion in Sven-Goran Eriksson's provisional squad.

Walcott, who was playing for Southampton in the Coca-Cola Championship six months ago, insists he will take it in his stride if he is called on in Germany.

'I've played in front of big crowds before and it's going to be different but I think I can handle it.

'I'm just going to give it my best.'

At the time of the squad announcement Walcott was taking his driving theory test and was oblivious to all the fuss.

'I was taking my driving test in Southgate,' he said. 'I switched off my phone and put it in my locker.

'I turned it back on at 3pm, phoned my dad and could not believe it was true really.

'He said to me you're in the England squad and I thought he was having me on. I was shocked and surprised as everyone was.

He added: 'My first thoughts were that I can't believe this is true. First the move to Arsenal and then this, it is unbelievable.'

Walcott did not speak to Eriksson yesterday but confirmed the outgoing England chief called him this morning.

'He spoke to me today to wish me all the best and said he is looking forward to watching me train in Portugal.

'Most players don't get to go to a World Cup - I'm the lucky one.

'Becoming England's youngest player would be something special, the likes of Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney were put in at young ages and if I do something like they've done in their careers it would be special.'

MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
Sven is out of his mind. He has never even seen Walcott play in a match!!

From www.worldsoccer.com:

He said, "I've seen him perhaps three times in training. At Arsenal training on Saturday I saw him play 11 against 11 on a half pitch.
I was starting to think about him in January, February and March," stated Eriksson.

"The first thing I had to check was whether he can handle it and everyone we spoke to said yes. He is a very steady boy.

"I don't think Walcott or Arsene Wenger thinks he is going to play seven games of 90 minutes in the World Cup.

"If you expect him to have the impact Pele had in 1958, we are talking about the wrong things but I am excited about it."

Eriksson's assistant has seen him play in a match but still, I think that is ridiculous. The Sven era has not been the best for England and he has made another bad decision to include a 17 year old who doesn't play regularly with Arsenal's first team over players like Wright-Phillips and Defoe.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the man is crazy it would be like asking a JV player to start on a college team!!!

goal
goal
Theo Walcott Video

I've no idea how good the video is b/c I can't get it to work. Let me know how it goes for you!!

Njoi

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Horrible idea to take Walcott! AND leave Dent out?? They would be better off with Robbie Fowler even though he is not in the English WC circle. Stupid decision, the kid will never see the field and England really need another quality front runner. Joe Cole is the only horse! Owen will not be WC fit,Crouch is a back up and it is doubtfull if Roooney will even be available. This is a decision made by a guy who only knows how to knock up a FA secretary!!

Atleast Dent is a proven commodity! Would Bruce take Freddy? And atleast Freddy has played for the USMNT team before....What a numpty!

D
bench
bench
D
Walcott = Going to crumble under the pressure and isnt going to do anything in the first place.

But its great for him. He has good skill but isnt on the WC level yet.

Kinda like Wright Phillips....but SWP is a little better.

Z
throw in
throw in
Z
Shaun Wright Phillips definately should have made the squad. Even though he did not play consistently with Chelsea (barely), he is still a huge threat with his speed. Moreover it is safe to say that he more dangerous and better than Lennon, Walcott, Crouch, and Downing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard