Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90439 09/27/07 05:33 PM
D
dhunter Offline OP
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
D
Greg Ryan didn't accept the keeper change as the reason for the loss, blamed it on the first goal. However, it seemed to me that the team was out of sync defensively and that fed into the psyche up top. But the killer was the horrible call on Shannon Boxx for her second yellow. She gets blindsided and gets a card late in first half. The ref should get suspended from international play. Horrible call that sent US off to half hanging their heads.

world cup
world cup
Brasil was so much better than the US today, regardless of the ref, the own goal, or, the goalkeeper change.

Marta & company were unbelievable. Sure it's easy to look good when you are a man up....but their skill was extraordinary.

I've never seen the US apply so little pressure to the opposition. When they went a player down they just sat back and got torn apart. I've never seen them so passive.....then again, not sure I've ever seen them reduced to 10 players before.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
Keeper change was a huge coach error—changed everything.

Hate to see the team go out like this.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
world cup
world cup
Hope's post-game comments were bold. Called out the coach and the other keeper.

Funny take:

http://deadspin.com/sports/david-hirshey-is-the-closer/free-hope-solo-304371.php

Last edited by Hurst66; 09/27/07 08:41 PM.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
I don't think an entire team suddenly falls apart because of a keeper change. We're talking world class athletes here, not some bum off the street. The own goal screwed things up from the get go. I think the other keep held her tongue until the result...and then proved what a coward she was.

brace
brace
W&E—

Come on—chemistry—it affected the team. Probably not the sole problem—but to ignore the impact of chemistry is shortsighted.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
World Cup
World Cup
Having a World Cup winning goalie who, unless an unknown blow to the head occurred, knows how to mark up and command a defense would not disrupt the semi-final match. She can't be blamed for the own goal, or for playing 10 v 11. Granted, some girls might have felt sorry for Solo or whatever her name is, but not to the point where they say "You know, I don't feel like winning the world cup today".

S
coach
coach
S
1) The U.S. has reaped what it has for so many years sown. The focus on size over skill, the inherent political nature of the overall program, has resulted in a pool of players that don't represent the best the United States has to offer.

2) I have traditionally been the last one to disrespect a coach; however, the coach took a tremendous risk. If it had worked, he would have taken the praise; it didn't work and he deserves a lot of blame. Solo was immature and whiny after the game; that doesn't obviate the fact that she had a valid point.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Chico, congratulations! With "obviate" you've become the SCSOCCER.COM "Poster of the Week." On behalf of the SCSOCCER.COM community and "Poster of the Week" selection comity I'd like to thank you personally for always keeping the posting standards high, whether technical with your charts and statistics or literary with your vocabulary and diction.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Quote:

Chico, congratulations! With "obviate" you've become the SCSOCCER.COM "Poster of the Week." On behalf of the SCSOCCER.COM community and "Poster of the Week" selection comity I'd like to thank you personally for always keeping the posting standards high, whether technical with your charts and statistics or literary with your vocabulary and diction.

Perusal of the subject matter has made it palpable that Chico is unrivalled in his articulation of not only concepts but also of statistical erudition. It is also fact that Chico, a member of Canis Lupus Familiaris, is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. He is clearly superior to his brethren, most notably his closest… Scooby-Doo who many have been hindered by his palaver…..”ROH ROH!!! Rhaggie!!!” has been the only graspable statement from this group, until now. I certainly hope Chico perdures in the forum.

Now regarding the game... this has been coming for a while the improvement in the rest of the world in women's soccer has been steady. The US as a leader in the sport should be concerned.... why not the USSF academy for girls?

And to that point ...it needs to be U14 and U16, minimum. There is also a correlation between the WUSA demise and the current situation

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard