Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#177336 01/17/20 06:27 PM
S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
An SCHSL constitutional amendment will be up for discussion and vote regarding the playoffs.

To summarize, any school that can elect not to admit a student within their defined attendance zone for a reason other than discipline, will compete in a separate playoff bracket.

This would impact all private schools in the SCHSL as well as most magnet and charter schools.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Seems like that will effect the private/magnet schools more than the charter schools ??

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Private schools would obviously be affected.

Magnet schools like Academic Magnet, which have an admissions policy that take factors beyond discipline into account will also be impacted.

I do not know about Charters. How does the HS League define their attendance zone? For example, JIHS, a County Charter, can choose to admit or deny students from outside their traditional attendance zone, so it would seem they might also be impacted.

For State Charters like Palmetto Scholars, Oceanside and Gray Academy, I do not know if they have any metrics that would deny a student for non-disciplinary reasons.

If a Charter cannot provide appropriate to students with disabilities and thus their admission is denied, would this put them in that new bracket? A lot of questions.

Goal
Goal
Any idea when this will be discussed? IF it were to pass, this would make it pointless to play in a region.

I'm sure they will do what is best for everyone involved...I'm certain of it. (shaking my head)

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Time to get rid of regions anyway. The re-alignment set up is ridiculous. Let everyone in the tournament and seed everyone.

The problem is no one is ever going to be happy. Eliminating private, magnet, charter, etc. schools will make all of the public schools happy; but it isn't necessarily fair for the kids who go to these schools. This will end up in a lawsuit either way, just like re-alignment does.

If I may ask Allister, what do you think the solution is; if you even think there is an issue? I like to hear all sides of the story.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: Alister DeLong
Any idea when this will be discussed? IF it were to pass, this would make it pointless to play in a region.

I'm sure they will do what is best for everyone involved...I'm certain of it. (shaking my head)

This will likely be discussed at the Spring convention, along with the other proposed amendments. I have no idea how it will play out if/when it comes to a vote, as the 5A schools are not impacted. They may vote as a block (each region gets one vote).

Certainly a prickly topic and I can understand why some people would advocate for it as well as why others would oppose it.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Unfortunately,, looks like any proposal that is designed for state wide charter schools will unfortunately affect magnet schools as well.

S
Brace
Brace
S
Nah, I’m not digging it. Just keep the schools that are able to deny zoned students admissions in a multiplier system for attendance and re-alignment. For all of this, you might as well have all the schools affected in this proposal join SCISA, which could then impact the strength of the SCHSL in the future as SCISA schools can look to focus on becoming the top tier level of competition in school athletics

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Goal
Goal
I wish I had some sort of idea what the best solution is for everyone.
If we got rid of regions, it would make it hard for the smaller, rural schools to find games.
I think solutions could be found for soccer but the HSL isn't going to create special regions/rules just for soccer.
If you lump all of the Magnet/Private/Charter schools together I can live with that but then how to you handle districts that have school of choice? I had a friend coaching at a Columbia area school that said he knew of 2 kids that lived in his neighborhood, zoned for one school that were going to another so they could play soccer.
I know kids in my area say that they want to take a certain class so are able to go the school they choose to play a sport.
The rules are being bent everywhere. When I start coaching 18 years ago, I knew of kids that lived in Chapin that were going to Irmo to play soccer.

I curious if other states have this same issue and how they handle the private/magnet/charter issue.

S
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
S
Originally Posted By: SharksFutbol
Nah, I’m not digging it. Just keep the schools that are able to deny zoned students admissions in a multiplier system for attendance and re-alignment. For all of this, you might as well have all the schools affected in this proposal join SCISA, which could then impact the strength of the SCHSL in the future as SCISA schools can look to focus on becoming the top tier level of competition in school athletics

I believe this was proposed and declined (count each student as 1.5 for sake of classification). At that time Hanahan voiced issue as being the only public school in the state that had another school of the same classification (BE) in its attendance zone.

Going to SCISA would create a different set of problems, and honestly, I doubt districts would support that in the case of Magnets.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard