SC Soccer
Posted By: jumbopaper AP Exams and Game Times - 05/07/16 12:46 PM
Who determines the start times of games? Who didn't realize that AP exams were given yesterday? Player safety considerations? This is an absolute joke.
Posted By: jumbopaper Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/09/16 08:18 PM
Since no one would answer, SCHSL says schools set game times. Apparently, JL Mann had no consideration for AP exams on Friday with the 6:00 kickoff.
Posted By: Warrior Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/09/16 08:37 PM
It's my understanding too that the home team sets the time. I find it odd that some teams opt to play at 6 or 6:30 pm when they've played at 7 or 7:30 pm all season. Seems to throw off the rhythm.

I don't think much consideration is given to the AP tests and such. You can always take it at a later time. All the spring sports have to deal with the testing issues.
Posted By: jumbopaper Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/09/16 09:52 PM
AP tests given one time during school year, at same time, regardless of school. Tests may be given later in the Summer, not sure, but why would you want to take it then? Why would a game preempt an AP test.

I agree with you on the 6-6:30 thing. I could see it to avoid a late night return during the week, but this was a Friday night game.

Really not a good thing to ride an hour and half in the car, arrive, and step on the field a few minutes later.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 12:22 AM
Hosting school sets the Time. Visiting coach can make suggestions and come up with compromise but in the end it's hosting school. Also, for tests, most coaches I know will make adjustments unless ones can't be made. Know of kids that tested Saturday morning so the coaches agrees to a late afternoon kick.
Posted By: Sean Vick Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 01:31 AM
Just to clarify the AP exam schedules (I teach AP Chemistry). Each exam is originally schedule for a specific date and time. For example, AP Chemistry was May 2 at 8 am and end around noon. If they exam is not in the morning, they start at 12 pm and end around 4 pm. I had a student that was competing in our region golf tournament that day, so he will be taking the makeup exam. Makeup exams are also scheduled on a specific date. I believe they are May 17th and 18th this year.
Posted By: jumbopaper Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 01:40 AM
On paper, they are supposed to start at 12 and end at 4. Two years in a row, afternoon exams started later and ended later than scheduled, by 30-40 minutes. I understand the timing of golf, but still shouldn't be scheduled with possible exam conflict. All soccer is at night, so still no reason for 6:00 scheduled kickoff. Obviously no communication and/or no one cares.
Posted By: ReallySC! Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 04:38 PM
Personally, I wish the soccer season would start two weeks earlier which would help avoid these testing issues. Our school has IB and AP testing which all started last week. Luckily, our teams _only_ had to travel 2.5 hours for playoff games both Tuesday and Thursday nights. Other teams traveled over 3.5 hours! Plus, I don't understand why soccer has to play every other night during the playoffs. I realize this was mentioned in another thread but surely something can be changed!
Posted By: jumbopaper Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 09:01 PM
Changing it would require that someone cares about it. Obviously, no one has up to this point.
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 09:09 PM
Originally Posted By: jumbopaper
Changing it would require that someone cares about it. Obviously, no one has up to this point.

Actually, many do care ... However, changing things at the SCHSL level requires the support of Principals and ADs ... This makes the process much more difficult ... Heck, we have trouble getting coaches to join the SCACA & SCHSSCA each year!

My two cents from someone who has dealt with this for 20+ years.
Posted By: jumbopaper Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 09:19 PM
I understand that, but you are talking the requirements to change the play dates, right? SCHSL told me that the game times are left up to the schools, so that change can be easily done, if they cared about it.
Posted By: Tasos Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 09:43 PM
Just To Clarify.
J L Mann did all possible to accommodate.
Ask the coach...
Posted By: lucky13 Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 09:44 PM
Sorry but I must be missing something. Why as a taxpayer for a public school am I paying for a student to take an AP Exam that will give them collegiate credit during high school hours? Where are the 3 R's? Shouldn't this be on that student's time (like a SAT Saturday)? I don't see this logic at all.

IMO, all playoff week games should be started at 7 pm regardless of location. That's plenty of time to get back at a reasonable hour in a state this small (this isn't Wyoming). In addition, I think the playoffs should be limited a Region Champion and Region Runner-Up making the postseason. Give those teams that earned those seeds the benefit of something honorable and play a home-and-home series. Aggregate goals based on home/away wins. It's how "soccer" is played!

Congrats to the teams still playing! I can't wait to get out and watch Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach in an hour's time.
Posted By: jumbopaper Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 10:13 PM
Why the 6:00 kickoff time?
Posted By: jumbopaper Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 10:16 PM
Maybe because it is a year long class at the high school.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 11:29 PM
Nah, 7pm time is not decent during a school week when we have 3 hours of road trip & have to feed the kids after the game.......and that's if we end on time. Lord forbid we go to OT & PKs

As for start time, I don't think too many programs (if any) will refuse to change a game time to 6pm or 6:30. Plus, how much of a factor is an hour earlier start time that someone will try to use that as an excuse to lose?
Posted By: SoccerWatcher101 Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/10/16 11:54 PM
Originally Posted By: EaglesFutbol
Nah, 7pm time is not decent during a school week when we have 3 hours of road trip & have to feed the kids after the game.......and that's if we end on time. Lord forbid we go to OT & PKs

As for start time, I don't think too many programs (if any) will refuse to change a game time to 6pm or 6:30. Plus, how much of a factor is an hour earlier start time that someone will try to use that as an excuse to lose?

Games should start at 7pm in the playoffs. Most of us parents have to work and cannot get there any earlier.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/11/16 12:07 AM
So on a Tues or Thursday when a team has to travel from for example, my area to say a Bishop England (1Hr 54min per google) that we should play at 7 for the parents? Why? Game finishes by 8:30 - 8:45; that thing hits OT/PK's you're looking at 9 - 9:30. Then we have to eat so let's say done by 10 - 10:30. Travel home ETA Midnight. Then still have school on Wed or Friday. It's hard to do but try to get off early or make possible arrangements. Otherwise say good luck and if you see some of the game then great, if not hey its going to happen. Game like that, I'd prefer a 6pm kick. As a parent I'd hate to miss games but sometimes these things happen.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/11/16 12:16 AM
Lucky 13 - if they are learning the course material during class time shouldn't they take the Exam during scholarship hours as well? The SAT doesn't directly affect the GPA of a student nor connected to one specific class. AP is more specific and directly effects AP Credits earned.

SAT Subject Tests measure students’ readiness for college-level work in a certain subject.

AP Tests are intended to measure a student’s mastery of college-level material through an examination that touches on the main points of a year-long AP curriculum.
Posted By: jumbopaper Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/11/16 12:36 AM
Agree on the travel thing during the week, but this game in question was Friday night.
Posted By: jumbopaper Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/11/16 12:38 AM
AP test is essentially the final exam. Class is taught to the test. Remember, schools get a bonus on test takers/results.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/11/16 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: eMnAvA
So on a Tues or Thursday when a team has to travel from for example, my area to say a Bishop England (1Hr 54min per google) that we should play at 7 for the parents? Why? Game finishes by 8:30 - 8:45; that thing hits OT/PK's you're looking at 9 - 9:30. Then we have to eat so let's say done by 10 - 10:30. Travel home ETA Midnight. Then still have school on Wed or Friday. It's hard to do but try to get off early or make possible arrangements. Otherwise say good luck and if you see some of the game then great, if not hey its going to happen. Game like that, I'd prefer a 6pm kick. As a parent I'd hate to miss games but sometimes these things happen.

Pretty much. We travelled to Aiken & that was a 2 1/2 hour trip. Game started at 7. We didn't get back home till almost 1am & that was w/ the game ending in regulation. I'm not about to do that to my players cuz mom & dad want to catch the game.
Posted By: arrgy Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/11/16 01:37 AM
Originally Posted By: lucky13
Sorry but I must be missing something. Why as a taxpayer for a public school am I paying for a student to take an AP Exam that will give them collegiate credit during high school hours? Where are the 3 R's? Shouldn't this be on that student's time (like a SAT Saturday)? I don't see this logic at all.

IMO, all playoff week games should be started at 7 pm regardless of location. That's plenty of time to get back at a reasonable hour in a state this small (this isn't Wyoming). In addition, I think the playoffs should be limited a Region Champion and Region Runner-Up making the postseason. Give those teams that earned those seeds the benefit of something honorable and play a home-and-home series. Aggregate goals based on home/away wins. It's how "soccer" is played!

Congrats to the teams still playing! I can't wait to get out and watch Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach in an hour's time.

Because in most cases, Lucky 13, the student is earning high school credit for the course as well as college credit. The states have entered into agreement with the college board to support the AP program in allowing the high school credit to be offered. You therefore can not deny the opportunity for a student to take the final exam for the course during school time. The SAT is completely different.
Posted By: mom37 Re: AP Exams and Game Times - 05/12/16 07:05 PM
I don't understand how the playoffs work. Softball and baseball is double elimination. All year long teams play region opponents twice. Why shouldn't this be the same for the soccer playoffs. Why not award just the region champion and runner-up and have home/away series? Just seems that the rest of the world does it this way except here. Why not play the "district" concept like baseball and softball? Most schools don't get out until June so keep playing!
© SC Soccer