SC Soccer
Posted By: Kevin Heise General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/10/21 11:00 AM
Coaches -- Please weigh in with your opinions on the following matters pertaining to high school soccer/athletics.

1. Do you like the current two scrimmage and one jamboree policy? If not, what is your suggestion?

2. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Winter (20 days of with the ball training)?

3. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Summer? If so, explain - i.e. camps, clinics, 7v7, 11v11, daily/weekly training, etc.

4. Does your team lift weights in the summer? In the fall? If so, explain.

5. In regard to the three-game suspension for a red card in HS soccer, are you in agreement with this standard policy? Thoughts?

6. What are your thoughts on transfers and eligibility?
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/10/21 12:41 PM
1. I prefer we have 3 scrimmages & a jamboree over 2 scrimmages. Not all teams are able to do a preseason tournament or jamboree (some jamborees may be too far for schools to attend), so having 3 scrimmages should be enough for a coach to be able to get a good look at his team before the official season begins.

2. Yes, with limitation to players who are playing club or are just finishing with club soccer.

3. No. Since most of my players play club soccer, summer is the only time they have "off" and many either relax or work.

4. Fall only. Most of my players are either in weightlifting classes or participate in our offseason weightlifting sessions. Since most play club soccer, many are getting fitness with their teams.

5. Excessive. Some red cards don't deserve a 3 match ban. There's also cases of referees who aren't very good overusing their authority.

6. There should be standards & guidelines that can be applied to all schools & create for a fair system. If a school is able to have students enroll out of their zone because of the type of school they are, there should be restrictions as majority of the public schools don't have that luxury.
Posted By: JMouzon Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/10/21 08:28 PM
1. I do not like the current 2 scrimmage limitation (only 1 for JV?). 4 was a better option due to rain cancelling a scrimmage or two; at least you would already have other options scheduled. Also, it doesn’t make much sense to cram in our regular season in two months but during the month of February you can only play twice.

2. Yes, we take advantage of all 20 days allowed. Since baseball got extra practice time to warm up pitcherrs’ arms let year, can we get the same for goalies this year? They use their arms, too…

3. Yes, we try to take advantage of Open Season during this time period, even though it is extremely difficult trying to get new physicals in during the middle of summer one month after our season has ended.

4. We offer weightlifting in the summer and weightlifting/conditioning in the fall. Summer is 2-3 times per week; same in the fall. Attendance is typically better in the fall (see #3).

5. I understand the reasoning behind it - a hard line in the sand to dissuade bad behavior and dirty play/tactics, and so I can agree with the principle. I don’t believe that soft should result in a 3 game suspension.

6. No comment.
Posted By: Phil Boyer Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/16/21 07:01 AM
I echo everything Misa says. And emphasize that missing 3 games for two yellow cards in a highly contested, important match is asinine.

For transfers, it's tough because it is different district to district. The district right beside me can have students move schools in district and play sports that same year. My district makes the students sit out a year.Just one small example. Standardizing the transfer rules across the state would be my preference. And any school that didn't fall under those rules should play in a different league. My two cents
Posted By: Coach JB Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/16/21 11:46 AM
1. I echo Mouzon. 2 games are difficult, especially for a school that increasingly has fewer club players each year.

2. Yes. We have adjusted our offseason strength and conditioning program so that we can get more days in.

3. We train and will have some practices during the summer. We have not scrimmaged any outside teams but would be interested.

4. Yes. As soon as school is out, we do strength and conditioning twice a week. We will take off a couple of weeks as summer ends and school begins, but then we are back with two times a week. We do not have a soccer weight class so it is after school until 5:15. Not much running, mostly weights and stretching.

5. No. Accidental red card on a handball in the box that denies goal or two yellow should not equal three games. Unsportsmanlike behavior and fighting should be three games.

6. I had my feathers ruffled recently when told that a coach in our district was trying to get a player to transfer to their school by having the student want to take a class that was not offered at the students school but was that the other school. That is dirty. There needs to be uniform rules across the state that limit transfers, even within districts.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/16/21 05:19 PM
1. 3 scrimmages would be better. Jamborees are for football.

2. As much as possible around club. Bigger issue is schools who have "sport specific" class/PE2 that started practicing for the upcoming season in August and have no restrictions.

3. Not really. They are kids and I give them their summer. Many play club and play during the summer.

4. Start in October with lifting.

5. Absolutely asinine. 1 game max for everything but serious foul play (which is never given). Three games (almost a quarter of the season) for language? Soccer is the only sport with that rule; imagine that rule for football or basketball. 1 game max for everything except for serious foul play which should be 3 games.

6. I agree with Misael, Phil and JB. If you can recruit or pull kids from outside your attendance zone (see JB above), there needs to be a rule. A multiplier, SCISA, or a different SCHSL division specifically for those schools. I would like to see over the past 10 years how many state champions and all-state selections are from schools that have attendance zone freedom as a "non-traditional" high school. Never going to happen, but promotion/relegation anyone?
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/16/21 06:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Snicklefritz
Never going to happen, but promotion/relegation anyone?

*peeks head around corner* Did someone say pro / rel? 🧐
Posted By: CoachDale Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/16/21 07:19 PM
1. Would prefer 4 scrimmages and no Jamboree.

2. Yes, we start in December and adjust our conditioning schedule accordingly around the 20 days.

3. We started our Lady Falcons Camp this Summer. I am looking at putting on a 7v7 tournament if the rules allow for next summer. If anyone is interested please let me know.

4. Is not required of our players but we do strongly encourage this as a group and we set time aside for it even into season. Some even take a weight lifting class.

5. Do not agree. This is harsh for soft calls.

6. Every school that participates in the SCHSL should all be under the same rules no matter if its transfer, eligibility, etc....
Posted By: Coach Jack Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/17/21 07:28 AM
1. Do you like the current two scrimmage and one jamboree policy? If not, what is your suggestion? I prefer the previous 3 Scrimmage games.
Some Scrimmages get rained out, and we have not used jamborees.

2. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Winter (20 days of with the ball training)? YES! EVERY DAY, NEED 25.

3. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Summer? If so, explain - i.e. camps, clinics, 7v7, 11v11, daily/weekly training, etc. I have not seen an open season in the Summer for the last two seasons. I would not use it though. It is their time off. Most start back up with club in the late Summer.

4. Does your team lift weights in the summer? In the fall? If so, explain. We weight train during Conditioning and during the OPEN season When we are forced indoors.

5. In regard to the three-game suspension for a red card in HS soccer, are you in agreement with this standard policy? Thoughts? I think the Threat is good, but the three Games is Rough. If you straight out get a flagrant RED Card = yes Three Games. Double Yellow, 2 Games?

6. What are your thoughts on transfers and eligibility? [/quote] Touchy Subject. This is really School of Choice vs. Recruitment.
Posted By: Coach Choi Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/17/21 11:43 AM
1. 3 and a Jamboree or 4 scrimmages (also 2 for JV teams). February is such a dicey weather month (add in Covid too) - give schools as much flexibility to get games in as reasonable. Scrimmages can always be cancelled and not made up.

2. Yes, we use the winter open season as we have no travel teams within 40 miles of us.

3. American football rules this state and the entire facility.

4. Again, Am. Football dominates the weight room, fields, etc...

5. A rule made by people who don't know or care about youth soccer or teaching the game. Too restrictive in the case of 2 questionable yellow cards and at a time with too few experienced or quality referees. Help coaches teach good sportsmanship to young players and give the SCHSL authority on a case-by-case 1-3 game rule. We video tape the games for events just like this - Give us the justice and flexibility we deserve.

6. Agree with Snicklefritz: "non-traditional" attendance schools should be promoted up. Make it fair for the traditional public schools or make the others join SCISA with the private schools.

David Choi
Bamberg-Ehrhardt HS
Posted By: CoachPerry Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/17/21 12:55 PM
1. 3 scrimmages for V and at least 2 for JV like it used to be. I have never been to or heard of teams playing jamborees in soccer.

2. Yes, we meet for conditioning and body weight workouts during open season as much as weather allows.

3. We do not usually meet as a team over the summer, but have been kicking around the idea of hosting a team camp, for a couple teams in our area, toward the end of the summer with a 7 v 7 tournament at the end.

4. There is an option for weights during the fall, but not very many take advantage of it.

5. Red card should be a two game with the option for additional depending on the nature of the foul. This could be determined by the official's report and video/coach's report. Auto three games is too costly and too dependent on officiating consistency.

6. As far as this one goes, all I ask for is consistency. Everyone should get to play by the same rules. If not, it's not really a level playing field.
Posted By: David Schroer Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/20/21 09:05 AM
1. Do you like the current two scrimmage and one jamboree policy? If not, what is your suggestion?

I prefer the option of more scrimmages. I think every season and team is in a different spot in regards to the need for training/games. More flexibility is always better.

2. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Winter (20 days of with the ball training)?

Yes, very much so. Painful when we don't have it.

3. Does your team take advantage of the Open Season in the Summer? If so, explain - i.e. camps, clinics, 7v7, 11v11, daily/weekly training, etc.

We do not.

We do not have anything organized specifically for soccer. We did at first with another (and very, very good S&C coach at the school), but since his replacement has come in, it hasn't been the same. The options for soccer have been limited. Most of the athletes take a weight lifting class instead of general PE as a substitute. However, curriculum requirements for the IB program at Flora makes this difficult for those students.

5. In regard to the three-game suspension for a red card in HS soccer, are you in agreement with this standard policy? Thoughts?

I think it's draconian and quite stupid to be honest. It shows either an ignorance of the sport or a lack of willingness by the SCHSL to differentiate between egregious red cards (fighting, spitting, dissent, etc.) and game-related red cards (such as deliberate hand ball or impeding an opponent through on goal). Understand that reviews are possible, but not over weekends. These penalties are more severe than the professional level standard of 1-2 match bans.

Above my paygrade. I think the system is very flawed because of the division of power between the SCHSL and school districts.
1. Never used Jamborees. I think 3 scrimmages for Varsity and two for JV would be best.

2. Yes, critical to get to know the new players prior to tryouts.

3. We only do our alumni match and team camp over allowed summer period.

4. There is an option for weights during the summer and fall, but not very many take advantage of it due to club. However, trying to improve this situation.

5. Absolutely not! We are over penalizing soccer players compared to other HS sports. My suggestion: two yellows, you miss the balance of the match. Tactical red, same policy. Hard, reckless tackle or play, miss one more match. For fighting, etc., 3 match suspension.

6. I have not seen any issues with transfers. I do think the SCHSL should address soccer classes in schools to be fair.
Posted By: Chris Latsch Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 07:43 AM
Coaches -- Please weigh in with your opinions on the following matters pertaining to high school soccer/athletics.

- No, It would be better to have 3-4 scrimmages and 1 Jamboree and JV should be able to have 2 scrimmages. Rainouts play a major factor and not all schools have the ability to attend a Jamboree. This gives schools more options and flexibly as previously stated.

- Yes.

- No

- Only through their normal PE3 class during the school day.

- Excessive. The only 3 match suspension should come from fighting. All other are judgment calls by the refs and in many cases, especially with a 2 ref system, they are not in position to correctly see the full play. I understand that mistakes are made but to suspend a player for 3 matches based off immobile refs that will not move up and down the pitch making calls from 50 yards away is asinine.

- I agree with Dale
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 09:04 AM
In summary, do you support the following proposal to the SCHSL for future disciplinary actions?

Tier I - One Match Ban
Tactical Foul

Tier II - Two Match Ban
Profanity
Violent Foul

Tier III - Three Match Ban
Fighting
Spitting

Your thoughts?
Posted By: Coach JB Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 09:05 AM
Yes. That is resonable.
This is close to what I proposed, so it is better than what we have. I still think that two yellows or a tactical red should should be missing the balance of the current match.
Posted By: Chris Latsch Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 09:09 AM
Yes, I would be support the following proposal.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 09:11 AM
I think that's fair. Certainly better than the current setup.
Also, two yellows would not fit any of the proposed three categories.
Posted By: Phil Boyer Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 09:50 AM
Assuming two yellows, deliberate handball preventing a goal, and/or a foul that prevents a goal-scoring opportunity all fall under the "Tier 1 - Tactical Foul" -- I would absolutely support that tier system.
I agree this is reasonable.

Also, I realize that there is a severe shortage of refs, but I think there needs to be a way for coaches to evaluate/rate Centers/ARs per match (likewise refs for coaches). I realize that the losing team will sometimes feel jaded by perceived poor calls, as well as the winning team giving rave reviews, but there needs to be some sort of umbrella of accountability and standard to ensure a fair match is called. Obviously, they are not infallible and mistakes will be made, but mitigation of those calls would be the goal.
In my four seasons at Bluffton, we have been, dare I say victimized, by refs playing after our boys squad with their ridiculous antics. Some would say, “That is an internal issue”’ which it may be, but at the moment the girls have been penalized solely for playing at the same school. There is also the ramifications of playing outside one’s area and the biased approach some refs take towards their area’s team.
I guess the point is, with the way the officiating situation currently is there will be less qualified personnel doing matches, so why not institute a checks and balances system to reward the highly rated officials with higher pay. At minimum there’s some sort of incentive for a fairly called match. Idk, maybe I’m way off base and this is a ridiculous proposal. 🤷‍♂️ I apologize for the soap box.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 10:06 AM
It is better than what we have. Only change I would like to see is 1 game for profanity. A kid cussing vs a kid breaking another kid's leg due to a violent foul (serious foul play) are completely different things.
To Bluffton/McCarthy's point, I think that coach input should be used to maybe award the better refs with playoff games. Going to be difficult to pay more, simply because I don't think AD would pay for it. But give them recognition by getting playoff games and/or the state final games with coach input.
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 10:24 AM
Georgia HS Association

One-Game Sit Out:
- Two Yellow Cards in the same game.
- Deliberate handball to prevent a goal
- Red Card for a foul on a player moving toward his goal in a scoring situation

Two-Game Sit Out with Red Card for any of the following: taunting, violent conduct, serious foul play, spitting on another person, foul or abusive language, leaving the bench are for a fight situation.

Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 10:40 AM
North Carolina HS Association

Soccer Player/Coach Protocol

Inappropriate language/profanity - Automatic Unsportsmanlike - Yellow Card issued
- Unsporting foul on the team bench - charged to the Head Coach
- Immediate ejection
* Two-game suspension
* Completion of NFHS "Teaching and Modeling Behavior" course before returning to coaching duties

Assistant Coaches Contesting Calls
- Unsporting fould on the team bench - Yellow Card issued to the Head Coach
- 1 of 2 unsporting fouls charged to Head Coach
- On second offense, Head Coach is ejected - Red Card issued

Any player displaying verbal or physical dissent to an official
- Immediate Yellow Card issued
- 1 of 2 allowed for match disqualification

Any physical or verbal display in a negative/demonstrative manner by a school administrator
- Stop the game and warn
- Second Offense - Game suspended until the administrator leaves the area
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association

One game suspension for a tactical foul.
Two game suspension for fighting, foul language, violent fouls.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 09/29/21 11:21 PM
I would like to see a distinction between profanity that is incidental and foul and abusive language intentionally directed at another individual.

I am not a fan of profanity on the field and I am a big proponent of self-control during a match. However, here is my big problem with the whole current penalty system and the fallacy of the logic behind it.

When we went from minimum one-game suspension to minimum two, the explanation was, "We're getting too many ejections, so we're upping the penalty."

When we went from minimum two-game suspension to minimum three-game suspension, the explanation was again, "We're still getting too many suspensions, so we're upping the penalty again."

This logic seems to be based on the premise that players are committing fouls because the penalties aren't severe enough to convince them not to commit the fouls. That, in turn, is based on the premise that teenagers, in the heat of the moment in a physical and emotional contest, are always weighing and processing actions vs. consequences, including weighing the degree of those consequences, and making clear, deliberate decisions based on those factors.

Yeah. Sure. Or maybe there's another reason that upping the number of games in the penalty didn't have the desired effect the first time.

If we're going to try to correct a problem in behavior, we need to understand some things about human behavior.

A large number of the card-inducing fouls we see in games are not deliberate, calculated decisions by players. They are knee-jerk reactions to a situation that happen before the rational side of the brain ever has a chance to engage. A player or a teammate gets hit, a ball is about to go into the net, a hard challenge--split-second reactions. It wouldn't matter in the moment of commission if the penalty was one game, or three, or five, or twelve, or a hundred and eleventy-seven, because THAT PART OF THE BRAIN IS NOT ENGAGED in the decision-making process.

We know that in ourselves even as adults.

A three-game penalty is, in some cases, a third or more of a team's region schedule. It can be a season changer. Enforced to change a behavior that, based on basic knowledge of human behavior, IT CANNOT EFFECTIVELY CHANGE.

Add to that the fact that officiating is, by nature, somewhat subjective--play that is accepted and even encouraged by some crews results in whistles and cautions from others. Given that, enforcing a three-game suspension for two yellows seems even more unreasonable, since there is no clear and consistent conditioning of players on what does or does not constitute unacceptable behavior that will lead to the punishment.

Here's another false premise in the current system--the idea that players need bigger penalties because they are ok with one or two-game suspensions. I don't know many players who are just "ok" with sitting out a game--even ONE game. One time, not being out there competing with their team, is NOT "ok, no big deal." Again, they're just not processing that equation in the moment.

The way to change behaviors is by consistent conditioning--repetitive reinforcement until habits are built or changed. Rather than have one big, disproportionate, and inappropriate-for-the-behavior penalty, let's go back to reasonable, appropriate consequences AND ENFORCE THEM CONSISTENTLY.

Rather than put an official in a moral dilemma--either show the card, knowing the player will receive a penalty far disproportionate to the foul, or keep the card in the pocket and let the poor behavior continue unchecked until it actually turns into something much worse--why not give officials the freedom to call 'em as they see 'em, with confidence that the players will receive consequences that are actually appropriate for their actions? I know officials are tasked with making calls based entirely on the rules, without consideration to the consequences, but officials are human beings too, not machines. Giving a player a caution for a hard challenge might help to get a game under control and increase player safety, but if you know it also means that player gets a three-game suspension you don't believe he truly deserves, what choice do you make?

Yes, we might see an increase in the number of one-game suspensions--until the consistent conditioning begins to change the behavior. And that's ok. If the object is to have fewer suspensions, that's easy--just don't address the behavior at all and there will be no suspensions. If the object is to change the behavior, though, then consistent, reasonable, and appropriate consequences are the way to go.

Sorry for the long post...off my soapbox now.
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/13/21 12:25 PM
Do you have any thoughts on any of these rulese/regulations posted in the SCHSL handbook? If so, please explain.

SCHSL Rules & Regulations
BOYS AND GIRLS SOCCER

1. The South Carolina High School League will sponsor a championship in each classification that has at least twelve of its schools participating. If this requirement is not met, schools may enter the tournament of the next higher classification.

2. National Federation rules will be used in all games.

3. The varsity head coach must attend a South Carolina High School League sponsored rules clinic.

4. All coaches must be CPR & AED certified. All coaches must verify with their principal completion of the online courses “Concussion in Sports”, “Heat Illness Prevention”, “Sudden Cardiac Arrest” and ``Protecting Students from Abuse” found at www.nfhslearn.com.

5. If a school is participating in a preseason tournament more than seven days prior to its first regular season game the certificate of eligibility must be submitted before participation in this tournament.

6. All classes are allowed 26 games, two scrimmages and one jamboree. Sub-varsity teams are allowed 24 games, one scrimmage and one jamboree. The games can be any combination of tournaments (to include preseason) and regular season games Preseason play can only be in tournaments. A student has the same limitations on playing as does a team.

7. Students will be restricted to one game per day except they may play in two games in one day in an invitational tournament. There must be a minimum of one-hour rest between games.

8. No match may end in a tie. During the regular season there will be two full five-minute overtime periods. If a tie still exists, penalty kicks by anyone on/off the field will determine the winner.

9. The girls and boys will use two full ten-minute overtime periods during the play-offs. If a tie still exists, two five-minute sudden victory overtime periods will be used. If still tied, penalty kicks will determine the winner. (National Federation Soccer Rules Book)

10. In the event a soccer game is called prior to completion of one half because of conditions, which makes it impossible to continue play, the game will be resumed from the point of interruption.

11. Schools must use officials that are certified by the South Carolina High School League Office. Instructions for postponing or canceling games for which certified officials are booked are printed on page 77.

12. Gate receipts will be disbursed according to the financial statement in the Athletic Directors Notebook.

13. The South Carolina High School League will furnish trophies and medals to the State Champion and Runner-up in each competing class.

14. A tournament is a series of contests in competition for a championship in which at least 1st & 2nd place is decided by a final contest between the two teams. Schools must now submit tournament format i.e., brackets as part of the sanctioning process in basketball, baseball, softball, lacrosse, tennis and soccer.

15. Refer to pages 1-26 for additional regulations.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/13/21 12:37 PM
Eliminate 8. Games should end in a tie after regulation. Point system used for region standings (3 = win, 1 = draw, 0 = loss). Soccer everywhere in the world plays this way and the sport should be respected. State tournament rule is fine (#9).
Add that upper state/lower state finals will be played at neutral site venue (like basketball).
Posted By: Coach JB Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/13/21 12:37 PM
Not listed, but there are many uniform combinations that include white stripes or white sleeves. With all white currently being required as the away uniform, can we look to:

A. allow light color/non conflicting away uniforms, or

B. require home uniforms to not include white in the jersey (numbers and logo being the exception)
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/14/21 10:19 AM
Eliminate rule 8 & allow ties. It's easy to track with the point system Snicklefritz posted.

I also agree about the white uniforms. White only is outdated & unnecessary, it should be light or opposite whatever color the home team is wearing. I know we got fussed at because our original white jerseys had blue sleeves, even though it did not present any issues for referees against any team we played when we wore those.
I fully agree that #8 should be eliminated. Matches should end in tie save for tournaments and playoffs. Having matches go to OT and Pens on school nights where teams are driving an hour to play does not support players being students first.
Posted By: Chris Latsch Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/14/21 01:20 PM
I agree with the above coaches, #8 should be eliminated and we should move to a point system. Also, I agree with the neutral site for the Upper and Lower state match.
Posted By: Coach Jack Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/14/21 01:42 PM
I concur. Rule 8 Should not apply. There is nothing wrong with a Tie,
At least you can get a point our if it.
Posted By: Coach Jack Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/14/21 01:44 PM
I truly like the Neutral Site for the Upper and Lower State Games. The State Game is at a Neutral Location.
Posted By: Coach Jack Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/14/21 01:46 PM
The TOTAL White thing is Ridiculous. They just changed that a Few years ago so the Home Team could wear their school Colors. FINE. But to Regulate the Shirts/Socks have to be solid with with basically no extra colors is just Boring.
I might be in the minority here but I think non region games should end in a tie but region games should go to OT and pks. I like he idea of having a winner/loser and ties/point systems increase the chances of tie breakers coming into play.

The solid white jersey rule is dumb but it decreases the chances of a uniform mistake being made and not all coaches are on top of things enough to make sure that wouldn't happen.

Neutral site for semi finals is fine but I wish they would go to seeding all teams 1-16 and rewarding the 1 seed with that semi final game. I hate the predetermined bracket but that is because I play in a region that has 3 of the top teams in the state.
Posted By: ghs26 Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/15/21 11:57 AM
I agree there should be ties. I mean, we can tie in tournaments. I'm also with Alister on the non region games. Non region games can end in ties, region games have to have a winner. Region record is all that matters when it comes to playoffs anyways, so why does the HSL care what we do non region?
On the uniform rule, I wish they would relax the rules on white. I agree there should not be dark colors all over the white but I don't see why we can't have something like a small stripe on the side or a dark collar. Also if you have yellow or light blue as your school color, why can that not be worn against a dark jersey? We played a college reserve game last night, one team in royal blue the other in red. No problems there.
Posted By: Futbol#11 Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/15/21 02:40 PM
#8 TIES: previous thread about JV Soccer ---> NEVER PK's unless JV tournament.
Varsity only tournaments or if necessary Regional games.

#6 SCHEDULES: jamborees really a football concept, eliminate jamboree & substitute a 3rd scrimmage.
Not sure how many coaches are aware you may have MULTIPLE TEAM scrimmages. Used in other states and very effective, useful for organizing, evaluating your players and other teams.

#14 TOURNAMENT FORMAT: provision should be made to allow a round robin tournament that includes some form of points, goals for & against format to declare winner. Provides more opportunities to schedule games knowing exactly how many you are going to play. In addition, it should allow tournament to be played over an entire week (days off in between contests) OR two (2) separate weekends.
We keep talking about health and safety and we jam more games one on top of another!!!

STATE TOURNAMENT FORMAT: I have coached in regions/leagues that the longest away trip was only 45 minutes away. I have also coached in regions/leagues where the closest away trip was 45 minutes. The accumulation of travel time has a huge impact on player fatigue and eventually injuries.
Neutral sites should be used as EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Worried about gate receipts & publicity ----> schedule double headers. Again, I have been in settings where this concept is used and is very successful.

#11 SCHSL certified officials: All the discussion about cards & fouls, other conversations about availability of officials, and quality of officials ??? Here is a novel/crazy solution: coaches take the written rules test (and pass) ---> varsity coaches officiate the JV game, JV coaches officiate the varsity game!
I have had to do this on multiple occasions in high school, club AND even on the collegiate level!!!
It creates many POSITIVE dynamics during the course of a game. Players are less likely to play outside "the spirit of the rules" when they have an ongoing relationship with the official ---> IT WILL CROSS THEIR MINDS TO DO THE RIGHT THING.
Worried about coach/official favoring his team? You know what normally happens, you wind up being tougher on your team. I especially don't want to make the 1st "homer" call and give the other coach/official the advantage of having one to use at a later MORE ADVANTAGEOUS time.
When we have had to do this many players walk off at the end of the game saying this was the best officiated match they have ever played in and wish they could do that more often!!!
Posted By: Coach JB Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/18/21 11:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Futbol#11
STATE TOURNAMENT FORMAT: I have coached in regions/leagues that the longest away trip was only 45 minutes away. I have also coached in regions/leagues where the closest away trip was 45 minutes. The accumulation of travel time has a huge impact on player fatigue and eventually injuries.

The SCHSL also does not take into account that AP exams are usually the first week of playoffs. With the extended travel, players are getting home late and then taking AP Exams. Or on the other side, they are getting out of their exams and trying to rush out of town to make it to their game.
Posted By: Snicklefritz Re: General Prep Soccer / HS Questions - 10/18/21 07:56 PM
Has there ever been an explanation as to why the soccer tournament can't be 3 weeks to spread the games out? With poor weather, exams, proms, etc. would seem to make sense to give the extra week; not even to speak about the need for recovery to prevent injuries and the fact they are STUDENT/athletes. Basketball gets 3 weeks (and a 4 1/2 month season). Baseball/softball go into June.
© SC Soccer