SC Soccer
Posted By: welshwizard jim rome - 05/28/08 04:38 AM
listen i know i should put this on the other part of the forum but this gets the most looks, look at what jim rome had to say about the champions league final, what an idiot.

Jim Rome / 5-22-2008

You may have missed it and consider yourself lucky if you did! But, Manchester United beat Chelsea on penalty kicks to win the UEFA Championship. I know, “shocking” that the score was still tied at the end of regulation! Even more “shocking” that it was a scoreless tie! And, how fitting that they would decide arguably the biggest game of the year on penalty kicks?! I mean, how “soccer of them”!

Nothing like playing the entire game and then two O.T.’s…and then deciding the championship on penalty kicks?! That would be like Game 7 of the World Series going to extra innings, and “dragging” the pitching screen out to the mound for a little “Home Run Derby”. If the Spurs and Lakers go to Game 7 in their series, I don’t think David Stern is going to have Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant play a “game of horse” to decide who goes to the finals.

Look, I’m sure the “cats” playing the game are as bored as the rest of us watching it, but how do you decide the title on kicks? Why not come up with something a little less random like, I don’t know, “flipping coins”?! Or, a “rock, paper, scissors” competition?! Anyway, congratulations to “Man U”, your goalie guessed right one more time than their goalie did.

And as always “soccer fan”, let me save the trouble…I know, I just don’t get it. You’re right! I don’t! That’s my point! That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. I don’t get it. And, I hope I never do!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: jim rome - 05/28/08 11:18 AM
I've never found ESPN's Scott Van Pelt to be "soccer friendly" either.
Posted By: BHSsoccer Re: jim rome - 05/28/08 11:38 AM
Rome's an idiot!!
Posted By: soccer63 Re: jim rome - 05/28/08 12:44 PM
I guess the only humor in this is that he doesn't get it!!!
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: jim rome - 05/28/08 12:52 PM
I've never liked Jim Rome or his style and could not care less if he likes soccer one iota!
Posted By: HeTakesPictures Re: jim rome - 05/28/08 01:09 PM
I had to look up who he was.

I guess I'm just hanging out with the wrong crowd :-)
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: jim rome - 05/28/08 01:40 PM
if i remember right i think he got punched out on his show one time.him and rivera must be related.
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: jim rome - 05/28/08 02:01 PM
Former quarterback Jim Everett knocks Jim Rome over during a taping. Everett, who played collegiately at Purdue, spent 12 years (1986-97) in the NFL with the Los Angeles Rams, New Orleans Saints, and San Diego Chargers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bVhwCzWrna0
Posted By: Import Re: jim rome - 05/28/08 04:05 PM
Rome continues to burn!
Posted By: Shrink Rapp Re: jim rome - 05/28/08 06:19 PM
Well Done Jim Everett!
Posted By: Scholes18 Re: jim rome - 05/29/08 12:14 AM
least Man U won. Heres a funny piece on jim rome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8BZjcP3qU
Posted By: CESA ELITE10 Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 01:19 AM
How does a weasel like Rome get a sports show? Has he ever played a sport? I would love to go head to head with him on a soccer field and show him how "non-contact and "unphysical" soccer is. Rome is a wannabe that will neverbe!!!
Posted By: Coach Tim Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 02:02 AM
I don't like him either but as a shock sports guy that is how he get airtime.
On the PKs he is only saying what soccer guys have been fighting over for years. I think in his teasing with comparing other sports I think he hit a nerve. I know it struck one in me, a game of horse at the end of the NBA championship, that's pretty witty.
Our game can't be finished like the others and PKs are about the worst/best we have.
I think the NASL had a good idea with thiers. I may need help on the facts. 1 v 1 dribbler is given ball at top of the 18 with a 10 second shot clock? No rebounds and keeper is free to charge?
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 07:27 AM
after so many innings in baseball they do not stop playing and line up 5 players from each team to see who hits the most out to declare the winner.may not be a bad idea though.they just keep right on playing untill someone wins.
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 10:34 AM
Put me down as one who despises kicks from the spot as a way of determining winners. When there is no compelling reason that a game must end within a certain period of time (e.g. tournament schedules), the game should continue until a team breaks the tie.

Oh, and Jim Rome is an idiot.
Posted By: scsoccer79 Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 01:15 PM
I hate Jim Rome.

I agree with HappyDaddy, I think in a championship game you should have to play golden goal until the last man drops. That would take into account fitness level and make the best team EARN the win.
Posted By: USMCfutbol Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 04:53 PM
Yeah but PK's are exciting the watch. It puts pressure on both the goalie and shooter on relying on their skills as a shooter and placer. I like PK's but i might be a little bias since that was my forte in high school. I would like to see an extra set of golden goal play before PK's in high school.
Posted By: scsoccer79 Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 06:02 PM
I could go with that in high school (only in the championship game because of time)... First, increase the game time to 90 minutes (should be done for all games). Next, increase your overtime to 30 minutes (2x15), then add another 30 minutes of golden goal (2x15). After 2 and a half hours you're bound to get a winner. Then, if it's still tied and they can still walk... they shoot PK's. Survival of the fittest!
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 06:06 PM
how about flipping a coin in games that are meaningless
Posted By: PHPPPF Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 06:27 PM
One of the things the NHL did in helping to open up the game in overtime is taking an ice player from the play and allowing for speed and skill to become a greater factor in determining the outcome. They also shifted points awarded for each game (teams that lose in a penalty-shot loss are still awarded a point).
I don't think taking a player off the field in our game would open things up in terms of play, pace and so forth, but is there an equivilant? Is there a chance we might go to just a points system for regular season play (and here I go into the high school soccer realm) instead of going to pks for every single match?
Posted By: Soccer Watcher Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 07:31 PM
Quote:

after so many innings in baseball they do not stop playing and line up 5 players from each team to see who hits the most out to declare the winner.

Apples and oranges....baseball players SHOULD be able to play unlimited innings....they exert more energy scratching their nuts than actually playing.
Posted By: welshwizard Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 07:48 PM
if high school were to have a points system each team would have to play the same schedule, otherwise teams having a weaker schedule would benefit, i like the english model myself but it will never happen, too many meathead athletic directors who know nothing about anything really
Posted By: Hard Headed Re: jim rome - 05/30/08 08:19 PM
Quote:

Quote:

after so many innings in baseball they do not stop playing and line up 5 players from each team to see who hits the most out to declare the winner.

Apples and oranges....baseball players SHOULD be able to play unlimited innings....they exert more energy scratching their nuts than actually playing.

Posted By: PHPPPF Re: jim rome - 06/02/08 06:25 PM
I think the idea of modifying a points system might be a good thing to look at. Also, don't teams who play a weak schedule already benefit? Certainly the points system could work within region play and have the same playoff-making paradigm where the top four point winners get a playoff spot.
© SC Soccer