SC Soccer
Posted By: wunderkid #10 best players in state - 01/25/09 07:46 PM
i think it's obvious enzo is the best player,

but who are some of the lesser known players who will have an impact for their teams this year?
Posted By: wunderkid #10 Re: best players in state - 01/25/09 07:53 PM
i know alex martinez from NW is good.
Joey Demare from Chapin.
Byron from Dreher.
Zach Acree, Leo Mufosocky(sp?), Taylor Varney from irmo
Watson and Belair from Socastee

Anybone else going to help their teams try to win it all this year?
Posted By: Import Re: best players in state - 01/25/09 11:55 PM
Antonine Parris, Spring Valley
Zach Clark, Robbie Benson N
Posted By: The Real Henry Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 12:35 AM
Ricardo Garbanzo- Northwestern
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 01:38 AM
Enzo and Demare without a doubt. Watson is stand out as well. Garbanzo is young, but deadly.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 01:40 AM
Achmed will keep eye on BC's Junior Taylor Lewis

BC top scorer as a freshman.

Achmed watched his twinkle toes bring home State Cup.
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 03:12 AM
1. Enzo
2. Acree
3. Parris

The rest are in another division. Those three are game changers and can win a game on their own. Emmet is close, as is belair and watson. Valkonis is good as is sweet and reed. Palma and boone should be watched too. O'Rourke and Winstead can play a little and byron is quality with the ball. Demare is a always a threat and Lewis is a crafty lil guy similar to garbanzo(lil more explosive tho). I would take 11 zak clarks kid does work.

GKs would be Luimbaugh and Bebe and next areneson(sp) and duzan.
Posted By: Shrink Rapp Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 12:58 PM
Corleone, good recap. I would add to your list some more impact players: jason chapman, matt severding, and alex martinez.
Posted By: Tommy234 Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 02:37 PM
Zach i believe the at the top... Him and Enzo can battle for first place... They will most likely meet early in the season, Lake Murry Challenge.
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 02:42 PM
Dang good call Chapman can play and forgot about severding and alex is a little hot headed for me. He is great or sent off.

Zach does work too. That would be one heck of a battle. It is great to see those two players with their skill and talent work so hard. Speaks volumes for them IMO. They are always running and involved.
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 04:00 PM
For future reference, the correct spellings are:

Limbaugh, Beebe, Arneson, DeMare, Emmett (Lunceford) and Sieverding.
Posted By: The Real Henry Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 06:34 PM
Alex is one of the most technically gifted and overall talented players I have seen at the high school level. The only problem, like mentioned before, is his head. If he can keep his head in the game and stay composed he can dictate the pace of the game by himself.
Posted By: cid0000 Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 06:49 PM
sounds like a strategy to use. Try to get him to explode hope for cards and play a man up.
Posted By: wunderkid #10 Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 07:24 PM
sounds to me like NW is loaded with talent once again this year.

Northwestern 4A State Champs 2009
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 01/26/09 08:02 PM
Acree is a little goofy in mny oppinon. He is a raw athlete though. Not number one though. Enzo number one along with joey and antoine
Posted By: charles9 Re: best players in state - 01/27/09 03:38 AM
Zach Acree is one of the most natural soccer players i have ever played with. He does stuff with the ball that you couldn't even think of.

But what defenders will be solid in the back this year? Who is filling in for Chapin, Irmo, Spring Valley and did Northwestern lose any defenders?
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 01/27/09 04:24 AM
Joey isnt in antoine and zach's league. not athletic enough.
Posted By: The Real Henry Re: best players in state - 01/27/09 04:59 AM
Northwestern lost one defender, an outside back I believe.
Posted By: DHS Soccer Re: best players in state - 01/27/09 12:55 PM
Kemar Smith over here in Darlington is one to look at as one of the best in SC.
Posted By: Import Re: best players in state - 01/27/09 04:57 PM
NW lost Cody but gained Dennis.
Posted By: The Real Henry Re: best players in state - 01/27/09 05:08 PM
Northwestern actually lost Corey, Cody's older brother.
Posted By: gerrard15 Re: best players in state - 01/27/09 07:13 PM
Zach is a great player for Irmo to call him goofy or clumsy or whatever was said is a little ridiculous. This kid is a soccer player without a doubt. Joey DeMare is also a great player it will be interesting to see if he can fill in the leadership role his brother left behind for him.
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 01/27/09 10:29 PM
Demare is on a list for the U17 National pool. To say he isn't athletic enough is rubbish. He's a player. Everyone that has played or coached him knows that. Enzo still dominates the state.
Posted By: Tommy234 Re: best players in state - 01/27/09 11:14 PM
1 Zach
2 Antoine
3 idk....
i dont believe that joey is at the top yet...
Posted By: NSCAA Past President Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 02:17 AM
How about listing tops by position?
GK

Def

Mid

For

Any takers?
Posted By: charles9 Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 03:16 AM
For
1. Enzo
2. Taylor Varney
3. Antoine
4. Who knows???

Mid
1. Zach Acree
2. Alex M.
3. Zach Clark
4. Leo M.

Def-someone else choose these. no clue

GK-no outstanding keepers in the state
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 03:38 AM
GK
1.Ben Limbaugh
2.Robert Bebee

Def
1.M Reed
2.M Sieberding
3.T Valkonis
4.B. Palma

Mid
1.acree
2.Belair
3 Winstead
4.Lunceford
For
1.Enzo
2.parris
3.J watson
4.J Boone
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 03:41 AM
What list for U17? Region Team list? Not athletic enough. Not athletic as the top dogs. great player just not top teir D 1 just the facts. thats it. ask yourself who's more athletic: Justin Watson, Enzo, belair, winstead, lunceford, parris acree, Reed or demare. just different type of player. Can get in behind and serve a great ball but not gonna run by people.
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 01:20 PM
If you watch the kid play, that's all he does is run by people. He is gifted with the ball at his feet. If were talking about athleticism, then yes, Acree and Watson will beat everyone. We are talking about the best players.
1. Enzo... No one can take that away from him.
2. Is a tie for Watson, Demare, and Parris.
3. Alex Martinez
4. Acree

It's just different opinions. Demare and Martinez create so much for everyone at any given moment in any types of games. Even at the highest level that most players in the state have not been to. Both the Martinez brothers, Demare, garbanzo,Cates from last year have all been to the highest level in youth soccer. Speaks volumes for these players. They are a joy to watch and you never know what to expect. With Acree and belair, you always know you will get effort and athleticsm. Belair is a true gifted player as well. Acree has his moments and is always dangerous.
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 01:22 PM
Demare is a D 1 player already. He is at College of Charleston i believe. Even though he was tight with going to Clemson for some time now. Coaches can tell when they have a gifted player.
Posted By: Austin Moody Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 04:43 PM
Basically, what I have learned in this thread is that Northwestern and Irmo are loaded.
Posted By: Will Eudy Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 05:17 PM
loaded.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 06:23 PM
Speak'n of loaded...

Achmed perdict CN birdies be tough this year.
Posted By: NSCAA Past President Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 06:48 PM
I believe Demare is a junior who has verbally committed to CofC. He possesses a great deal of skill and creativity on the ball. He loves to run with the ball at players. I believe he will be a good D-I player, but he needs to work more off the ball, making runs, creating space for himself, and defending.

While there are some good seniors, I think we need to keep an eye on the junior class, too.
Posted By: wunderkid #10 Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 08:41 PM
are there any dominant defenders this year?
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 08:50 PM
Palma starts for the Region III team in the back as does lunceford some.I would say Severding is the best pure defender but he is an outside back. Valkonis starts for the RegionIII team in the back I think. \

M Reed at Pinewood and BFA is strong and would be my first pick as a defender. But have no clue why he woud choose to play for cunningham at UCF.
Posted By: wunderkid #10 Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 08:53 PM
who do palma and severding play high school for?
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 08:57 PM
palm greenville severding irmo
Posted By: wolfgang Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 10:21 PM
defenders: how can u leave out benson t nhs? none of those others have his speed and athleticism or understanding of the game. he wil see playing time at c of c next year. tyler vukoder at fort mill deserves mention as well.
Posted By: wunderkid #10 Re: best players in state - 01/28/09 11:35 PM
seen vukoder play, a very good player in his own right, but not at the level of benson or valkonis.
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 12:35 AM
Plam and Lunceford and Demare are on the region team. i think Palm is a sub. Demare is a starter and lunceford comes in and plays a good bit and starts some matches. Sieverding is a great outside back too.

outsidethebox, that is true. Demare could work more off the ball and he will be just as good as Enzo. Most of the time him not working does stand out as much as his natural ability so him working doesn't really seem to matter. But when he gets to the highest levels of his career he will need to work harder. Same with Antoine. Joey and Antoine have tremendous potential. Lets see if Antoine can keep his off the field life in tack. Same with the Acree boy. All 3 of them have great futures in the game.
Posted By: Coach Razor Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 12:37 AM
I think some people will really be surprised with some of the talent that is coming out of walhalla. we have a sophmore Eli Cothran who has made the region area odp. We also have a senior geraldo vivaldo who has all the tools and is really going to be a asset for a small school in college. The combine at CESA really gave everyone a chance to see some of our best area talent.
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 01:04 AM
dude palma starts on the Region III team. Trust me. Benson is good my bad for missing him. Dont know the kid from Fort Mill.
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 01:33 AM
Are you sure? I know he started once. The last two games i saw in orlando he didnt even play until the second half i think. he is a good defender though and will most likely work his way up.
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 01:34 AM
But he started the first two right? Maybe so all players would start/play? He starts. Hunter H is pretty solid as well
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 01:53 AM
Do not recall- only made it to a couple of the games. A lot of the boys from the Spain trip are back on the Squad for Argentina is what i hear. The Region team should be solid!
Posted By: Manchester Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 02:29 AM
The five SC '92 Region III players, Limbaugh, Garbonzo, Palma, Lunceford and DeMare were rotated as starters from a roster of 17 during the Disney Showcase. Each played up to three positions over the course of their four matches.

('10) Limbaugh - Keeper
('11) Garbonzo - Right Mid. and Forward
('10) Palma - Right Back and Forward in the final match
('11) Lunceford - Center Mid., Right Back and Left Mid.
('10) DeMare - Right Mid. and Forward

All except Palma and Garbonzo will travel to Boenos Aires, Argentina the end of February through early March. Palma is unable to join the team because of a previously planned seven day trip scheduled the week prior to departure. Understandably, his family decided he would miss too much school if he were to participate.

No doubt Palma will be missed, but it's a great opportunity for the player invited in his place.
Posted By: The Real Henry Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 04:38 AM
Benson is a very, very solid defender. Extremely intelligent and talented player. He will do good things at CofC!
Posted By: Shrink Rapp Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 12:32 PM
The "Official" announcement for SC '91 ODP Region III players going to Costa Rica in March has not been released, however the SC players have been notified and include:

('09) Dennis Moore - Northwestern - Forward
('10) Jason Chapman - Dorman - Right Mid.
('10) Stephen Arneson - Irmo - Keeper

There might be one or two more players from SC, however these are the only ones I have knowledge of.
Posted By: Import Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 02:07 PM
Don't underestimate Vukoder. He is equal to Benson. Plays a little more aggressive.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 02:18 PM
Can we start considering Dennis Moore as a candidate as well?
Posted By: cid0000 Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 03:18 PM
What are the dates of this tournment? Hard to lose such good players during the HS season.
Posted By: Manchester Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 03:23 PM
The '92 Region team players will be out of country from February 24 - March 4.
Posted By: soccerboy26 Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 03:32 PM
i dont see how playing odp makes you a best player in the state considering i know plenty of players that have not played odp and are complete ballers . odp costs way to much money for some people. So the kids with money get exposed? And in my opinion the academy league is ten times more competitive. Fowards:
Enzo
Taylor Varney
Micheal Valencia

Mids: Zach acree without a doubt
Leo mucufsky
Alex martinez
Backs:
matt sieverding
robbie benson
oliver nobles
Posted By: Manchester Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 04:04 PM
No question there are plenty of D1 level players who do not play odp. As for the academy being 10 times more competitive, I have to take issue with that claim.

Academy teams participated against USYSA teams during the '08 Disney Showcase and the last time I looked the win/loss results were split pretty evenly with a slight edge going to the Academy teams.

This is to be expected given the fact that USYSA pulls the region players from their club teams for region competition during the tournament, leaving USYSA teams to compete without key players.

Tons of talent around the state and country who participate in a variety of programs/leagues all year. Solid coaching combined with natural talent plus highly competitive training and game environments are producing some exceptional SC players.

Every name that has been posted in this thread is that of a player who has put his stamp on the game regardless of where he has or hasn't gained exposure.
Posted By: Shrink Rapp Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 04:11 PM
Quote:

What are the dates of this tournment? Hard to lose such good players during the HS season.

The '91 Region III team goes to Costa Rica March 7 - March 14.
Posted By: resolute Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 07:30 PM
I would consider Robert Beebe the best goalkeeper in the state, better than Ben Limbaugh who he played over on the 1992 odp team for three years before leaving odp to join his club's academy team.
Posted By: Manchester Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 07:52 PM
No question, Robert is Beebe is a fantastic keeper and a great young man. Having said that, Benjamin has made more outstanding saves than not during the state and region matches I've seen over the past couple of years. I'd love to see Beebe and Limbaugh compete for the position again, but those days are gone. Best of luck to both!
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: best players in state - 01/29/09 10:53 PM
Quote:

I would consider Robert Beebe the best goalkeeper in the state, better than Ben Limbaugh who he played over on the 1992 odp team for three years before leaving odp to join his club's academy team.

Without getting into the question of who is better (I'll let neutrals make that judgment), I have to correct the above. Benjamin and Robert played exactly the same minutes during their years together on ODP. Neither played "over" the other.
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 01/30/09 12:17 PM
Beebe and Limbaugh are both great keepers. I would put Limbaugh as number one and Beebe at number two for the moment.
Posted By: cat scratch Re: best players in state - 01/30/09 01:36 PM
But, wasn't there an ODP season where Ben Limbaugh did not make the team? And Robert Beebe did? Or am I mistaken? Alot of state team's star players have given up ODP to play Academy for their club team.

Who knows who would of been chosen to be held over in 2008 region camp if Beebe would have attended instead of traveling around the country with his club team.

This again would go into the topic of ODP vs. Academy.
Posted By: zidane719 Re: best players in state - 01/30/09 02:38 PM
i think its very strange how hardly any lower state players have been mentioned in this thread
Porter Massey -Def/mid James Island
Ralph Lundy -Mid Wando
Geordi Khoury-Forward BE
Posted By: Manchester Re: best players in state - 01/30/09 02:49 PM
Hunter Harrison sophomore of Christ Church is an exceptional defending central mid player and may get overlooked during HS because of being at a 1A school. Very strong on the ball and plays with great vision.

Joel Perez junior of Mauldin. An outstanding forward who knows how to use his support to split defenders with diagonal runs for the ball to be played to his feet. A very rare commodity in this state where the forwards go one on one and dribble too much, don't defend and don't work away from the ball to create options.

Joel, Zack Acree and Ricky Garbonzo are the only forwards I've seen who truly understand a strikers role in how to break down a defense with the rest of their team.

Enzo is a dribbler and a very good one. Can't take that away from him nor do I want to because he can do it successfully more often than not and UNC - Chapel Hill is going to love his skill set.

Brandon Burkholder of Wando is another player to watch. He's very fast on the right wing and capable of serving great balls resulting in goals. His flip throws into the box aren't bad either.

Billy Padula, sophomore, of IRMO is a very strong defender with a great ability to deliver throws into the box from the sidelines. Great focus, strength and ability to communicate from the back.

Oliver Nobles, sophomore, IRMO very strong defender with an excellent ability to attack out of the back. Recovers well when beat on the dribble and capable of scoring headers in the box. Plays with a lot of passion. Looking for a solid year from Oliver this season.

Alex Burnikel. This kid is a sophomore and is one of the best right backs I've ever seen. He can tackle hard or simply take the ball off the foot of the opposition under control. Can attack at will and has great passing skills. He's another 1A player who won't be seen much during HS but he is exceptional. He has a great future ahead of him.
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: best players in state - 01/30/09 03:28 PM
Quote:

Or am I mistaken?

Yes, you're mistaken - and I'll just leave it at that.

I'm not going to get into silly hypotheticals, or into an even sillier discussion of who is "better." Both are having successful youth soccer experiences. Both will play D1 if they want to. They're friends and respect the others' ability. That should be good enough for all concerned.
Posted By: randomguycoach Re: best players in state *DELETED* - 01/30/09 07:53 PM
Post deleted by Kevin Heise
Posted By: NSCAA Past President Re: best players in state - 01/31/09 04:55 AM
Not that good compared to whom? What are you basing that statement on? What is your soccer background, coaching expertise? Why would coaches with far more knowledge and experience than most of us select him to our Region III ODP team? Why is he being recruited by a number of Div. I programs? I stated in an earlier post that Joey had talent, but also had a number of weaknesses. I believe he can play the game and will enjoy a fine Div I playing career.
Posted By: Greco3 Re: best players in state - 01/31/09 04:14 PM
Hunter Harrison goes to southside christian and is pretty good, but not on the caliber of the best in players in the state. good for his age though. if im not mistaken i thought joel goes to berea.
Posted By: Shrink Rapp Re: best players in state - 01/31/09 09:43 PM
Jason Chapman plays on the same CESA team with Joey DeMare and would never talk trash about anyone, especially one on his own team. Jason has too much class.
Also, Billy Padula and Oliver Nobles are Juniors.
Posted By: Celticfan2010 Re: best players in state - 02/01/09 03:31 PM
I would have to say Limbaugh is the top keeper in the state at this moment. I used to play club with him some of the the saves he made were just unreal, you wished you had instant replay to watch them again... and plus you cant forget the work he has done in the SCHSL... but I must say Beebe is def giving Limbaugh a run for his money it hard to chose one over the other I still think the title of best Keeper is contested.
Posted By: Greco3 Re: best players in state - 02/02/09 04:53 AM
is Limbaugh the keeper for the 17 columbia elite team
Posted By: charles9 Re: best players in state - 02/03/09 02:12 AM
Yes he is.
Posted By: cat scratch Re: best players in state - 02/03/09 01:33 PM
Celticfan, when was the last time you saw Robert Beebe play?
Posted By: Celticfan2010 Re: best players in state - 02/04/09 08:14 PM
Enzo, Acree, Parris, both Beebe, and Limbaugh, and on Def: Lance Waters
Posted By: Celticfan2010 Re: best players in state - 02/04/09 08:21 PM
every one else I can think of has already been mentioned
Posted By: soccertennis Re: best players in state - 02/04/09 10:14 PM
Who are some of the better players in the state who play 2A or Private school?
Posted By: JIMBO Re: best players in state - 02/05/09 05:58 PM
Hunter Riddle of Emerald is very good and makes a big impact in the midfield.
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 02/05/09 06:41 PM
AA Geordi Khoury BE Hunter Harrison Hunter Wyer Southside Miles Clemmons Waccamaw Rhyne Garrity Waccamaw

SCISA Joe Sweet Malcom Reed Pinewood Thomas Winstead Cardinal Newman Nick o'Rourke Cardinal Newman Austin Burnukel St Joes Coleman Fowble Heathwood Hall Braeden Troyer Hammond

PS Where is preston Myers going to school these days?
Posted By: Greco3 Re: best players in state - 02/06/09 01:22 AM
Limbaugh isnt that good. but yeah all the other players are solid
Posted By: sportfreak Re: best players in state - 02/06/09 03:44 AM
GK-no outstanding keepers in the state
Yor're kidding right??

GK
1.Ben Limbaugh
2.Robert Bebee

Does either of these kids start for there high school team??
If not what makes them best in the state?
That they played ODP?

Isn't there a goalie from Beaufort make Mozzo? Suppose to be a really good goalie.

Academic Magnet has a really good goalie.

I think there are a lot of every good goalies in the state. I think some of you people need to get out and see more game.

Oh and if you're a player. Just because you couldn't score on these goalies. Doesn't really mean they're the best in the state. Maybe you're just not a very good player
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 02/06/09 04:54 AM
They both start at spring valley (limbaugh) and pinewood prep(bebe). plus they both start for two of the best club teams in the southeast Limbaugh (CUFC Elite u17) Bebe( bridge Academy) Not to mention Limbaugh starts for the region III team. Add to that multiple D1 offers. Do the others have those qualifications?
Posted By: sportfreak Re: best players in state - 02/06/09 02:12 PM
Don't know their qualifications only that they're very good players. Multiple D1 offers? That's great. I take it they're both Juniors? What D1 schools have made them offers?
Posted By: Greco3 Re: best players in state - 02/06/09 10:22 PM
not taking any credit away from Limbaugh, but odp isnt not that hard to make, as long as you play for a good club you pretty much make it and you can ask players on odp that some of the players arent good and just made it cause they play for cesa. cufc. etc... and I personally watched region III play in a tournament and i saw the goalie that went in second half and he got megged by an easy shot, so it looks like he doesnt have any competition. and mozzo is a solid goalkeeper. very physical. What team does bebe play for?
Posted By: Greco3 Re: best players in state *DELETED* - 02/06/09 10:23 PM
Posted By: Manchester Re: best players in state - 02/07/09 02:47 AM
Alan Gore is a 6'1" junior striker for N. Myrtle Beach who holds the ball at his feet and combines very well with his teammates. He played an integral role as his 92 odp team, which is loaded with talent, defeated all other RIII teams during camp to advance to New Orleans.

He's had excellent coaching from Sam Okpodu for the past two years via odp and he's really starting to shine. A promising player to keep an eye on this season.
Posted By: RealTalk6 Re: best players in state - 02/07/09 02:42 PM
Greg Stone, Brookland-Cayce, has got to be in the list of top defenders
Posted By: doh_man Re: best players in state - 02/07/09 03:32 PM
Speak'n of BC
I heard then got killed by graduating seniors...
How dah look'n this year?
Posted By: sweet feet Re: best players in state *DELETED* - 02/09/09 02:46 AM
Posted By: cat scratch Re: best players in state - 02/09/09 02:52 AM
Beebe plays for the Bridge FA u-16 academy
Posted By: vandersar32 Re: best players in state - 02/09/09 11:51 PM
No ralph lundy from wando in there..
Posted By: Greco3 Re: best players in state - 02/10/09 12:30 AM
ralphy is solid. excellent work ethic
Posted By: FutbolJah Re: best players in state - 02/14/09 02:26 AM
Zach Acree and Joey Demare are clearly the best players in the state! beside enzo of course coming from northwestern
Posted By: SCSoccerFan8 Re: best players in state - 02/15/09 05:47 AM
I know he wasn't around all of last year, but I think it's hard to say that Antoine Parris (sp?) from Spring Valley isn't the most dominant player in the state when active.

I was at the 4A state final two years ago, and Spring Valley wasn't on the same field as Northwestern in terms of the overall run of play. Being generous SV controlled 10% of the match. However, Antoine single-handedly scored two brilliant goals for Valley and put them in the position to win. When I say singlehandedly I mean he received the ball on Valley's end of the field and took it at least 60 yards twice.

I would bet my right boot that if he had been playing last year in the final Spring Valley would have won again. There's just no answer for his speed and touch, on a full sized field. Enzo is pretty to watch, and apparently scores frequently, but I've rarely watched Antoine when he wasn't scoring goals and controlling the match. If I could pick one player to win with there's no question who it would be.
Posted By: RealTalk6 Re: best players in state - 02/15/09 03:34 PM
GK Chris Duzan one of best in state
Posted By: The Real Henry Re: best players in state - 02/15/09 06:20 PM
If Antoine was playing last year SV still would of lost. ZING!
Posted By: SoccersBest Re: best players in state - 02/16/09 04:57 AM
Unfortunately Antoine wont get the respect he deserves because he doesn't have a team around him... if he played for a NW or a Irmo I believe he would be in this conversation. No disrespect to him but a player is only as good as those who are around him.
Posted By: wkgod7 Re: best players in state - 02/16/09 07:53 PM
Antoine is always a threat! Even if he is on a team that doesn't have good players around him. Best player in the State? I don't think he is up to the level yet. His game is running at players and that's about it. Enzo-Can dribble, pass, shoot, has strength, play defense, and has a very impressive work rate! Antoine has great potential though.

Acree and Demare are def. up on the list top the best player. For my preseason list it is, 1. Enzo... it will take a lot to take that from him. 2. Demare...Has what I think the best chance of taking that away from him along with Antoine. 3. Acree...Very fast player...good shot 4. Antoine..If he continually does what he did 2 years ago in the state final match then he will be number 1. I just haven't seen it since then.
Posted By: SCSoccerFan8 Re: best players in state - 02/16/09 08:37 PM
I've watched Antoine play 5 or 6 times, mainly in big playoff-type games or against quality teams, and I've never seen him not score. Usually he has scored more than one goal. To me that is greatness - especially since he was often scoring the winning goals, and I never saw his team lose with him on the field. I didn't see BC's tournament last year, where Holland (another great player) apparently was the star, but I would imagine playing with Antoine made Holland's job a little easier. And I bet he got some sweet balls from Antoine.

When I've seen Antoine his dribbling has been a combination of speed and finesse, his passing has been precise and showed real vision, and he's been a sharp shooter. After early freshmen year I haven't seem him put in situation where it was his role to defend, so I have no idea if he's a competent defender, but I've certainly never seen him anything but very strong on the ball. He's too lanky to look really "powerful," but I'm sure he is.

I think it's fair to say he doesn't get to be the preseason best player in the state since he didn't play all of last year, but I'm just saying that I think he was as good as anyone in the state - as a freshman. His potential junior and senior year is scary. Enzo is clearly a great soccer player, and has the body and style of a classic "great," but I think Antoine is more dangerous.
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 03:13 AM
Acree yes, DeMare is good but not in the league of antione enzo acree etc.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 03:25 AM
Achmed agree Demare is good, but the Stone man from BC sort of neutralizing him last year.

It be the BC Stone age.
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 04:04 AM
exactly. one defender can t shut down the other players mentioned
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 04:17 AM
Well....Achmed did see BC keeper stopped 2 (maybe 3) Antoine one-on-one break-a-ways Thursday night (one did bounce back into play, and got in)
But then again, Achmed heard that Antoine might have been hurt.
Posted By: links5 Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 04:58 AM
Quote:

I would have to disagree. From what i remember last year in the upperstate finals, Irmo did not win but Kyle Hubbard from what i remember correctly did shut down enzo. While i do believe enzo is the best player in the state, i also think Antoine has the most potential out of these players mentioned and i think he will do the best at the next level if he continues to get better. But right now enzo is the best player in the state with Antoine right behind him. Demare barely gets into the top five in my list.

I would go Enzo, Antoine, Acree, Alex Martinez, Demare.

In my opinion i think Alex does on the of the better jobs of controlling the game even though he is so small. I have seen him play many many times and he controls the game all over the field and just like his brother has an exceptional work rate. He keeps the ball so well.
Posted By: Austin Moody Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 05:08 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I would have to disagree. From what i remember last year in the upperstate finals, Irmo did not win but Kyle Hubbard from what i remember correctly did shut down enzo. While i do believe enzo is the best player in the state, i also think Antoine has the most potential out of these players mentioned and i think he will do the best at the next level if he continues to get better. But right now enzo is the best player in the state with Antoine right behind him. Demare barely gets into the top five in my list.

I would go Enzo, Antoine, Acree, Alex Martinez, Demare.

In my opinion i think Alex does on the of the better jobs of controlling the game even though he is so small. I have seen him play many many times and he controls the game all over the field and just like his brother has an exceptional work rate. He keeps the ball so well.

You'll probably get blasted by most of the NW people on this board, but I agree with you on everything you said. Except my top five for high school players this season may have Antoine and Acree flipped.
Posted By: SCSoccerFan8 Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 05:47 AM
Time will tell.

A lot of talk about offensive players, but if you could pick one defender to shut down the state's best offensive player (whoever that may be), who would you choose?
Posted By: The Real Henry Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 06:19 AM
Yes Enzo did get neutralized last year against Irmo. Irmo played great against him. But "the sun shines on a dog's @$$ every once in a while". Taking nothing away from Irmo's performance last year, I believe if Irmo and Northwestern meet again, Enzo will go off.
Posted By: Jackson, Samuel L. Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 01:56 PM
That kid Antoine has got a presence on the field....I heard him and the BC keeper were going at it. Speaking of keepers, I heard the SV keeper was a region keeper. Don't know if it's true but other kids must not have tried out. Does anyone know any information about my boy Preston Myers down there at Lincoln?? Is he going anywhere this fall?
Posted By: Jackson, Samuel L. Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 02:11 PM
Nevermind found the article saying he signed with Coach Lundy.
Posted By: SoccersBest Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 05:47 PM
anybody know of any young talent (freshman/sophomores) coming up that will potentially challenge for the best player in the state in the coming years?
Posted By: Cristiano Ronaldo Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 05:53 PM
adriel foward for RNE (sophmore)
Posted By: bestofthebest Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 06:01 PM
Travis Naylor Freshman South Aiken
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 06:03 PM
Matt Sieverding - Irmo Sophomore.
Emmett Lunceford - Irmo Sophomore
Posted By: 3PEAT Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 07:46 PM
im surprised only one person has talked about the lowerstate and the wando team...what about ralph lundy or the upcoming forwards in the state at wando like nick selby or eazy E eric fornell
Posted By: Soccer16 Re: best players in state - 02/17/09 09:50 PM
Cam Wegrzyn - AC Flora Sophmore
Posted By: Micheal Corleone Re: best players in state - 02/18/09 04:39 AM
Not even close. Emmett and Howie are on different planets than Wegrzyn from Flora. Good player but not on their level.
Posted By: gerrard15 Re: best players in state - 02/18/09 06:09 AM
The best players in the state are by far Colden King, Chris Ricketson, and Ben Bosco. No lie these kids are good except for Chris, that is a joke to add humor to this post.
Posted By: bestofthebest Re: best players in state - 02/18/09 12:56 PM
And they are from?.......
Posted By: gerrard15 Re: best players in state - 02/18/09 04:30 PM
Mid-Carolina
Posted By: Pride&Tradition Re: best players in state - 02/18/09 05:43 PM
Dillon Turner; a living legend of South Carolina high school soccer!
Posted By: joplin12 Re: best players in state - 02/18/09 08:39 PM
Quote:

The best players in the state are by far Colden King, Chris Ricketson, and Ben Bosco. No lie these kids are good except for Chris, that is a joke to add humor to this post.

Ben Bosco, Colden King, and Lucho are some of the most underrate players in the state.
Posted By: gerrard15 Re: best players in state - 02/18/09 10:35 PM
joplin12, i would have to agree, Lucho was one of the top players on Chapin last year and it was his first year on the team. A lot of seniors, including the legendary David Stone, left Chapin last year but they have good leadership in Ben Bosco and a lot of talent returning from last year.
Posted By: pinger90 Re: best players in state - 02/19/09 03:59 AM
Leo Mukoskfy is for sure one of the best center mids in the state he is a smart player who runs the game
Posted By: Yoshi Re: best players in state - 03/02/09 08:59 PM
Mario Betanco(sophomore)forward 4rom Lewisville High!!!
hes good.. great ball control.. great scorer
Posted By: ROH, off into the sunset Re: best players in state - 03/02/09 09:16 PM
How about the kids from Eastside and Riverside?
© SC Soccer