SC Soccer
Posted By: Dom_Wren Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/17/10 06:20 PM
If your high school (insert sport here) team was ranked # 1 in the nation and had a chance to play the # 2 team in the nation, but had already 'used' its allotment of games. Would you be for or against a high school league ruling letting them play.

I can see both the positives or negatives of this situation.

I guess my biggest concern would be as a 'fan/coach' of a rival school, would you see it as them gaining an advantage over your team or others by playing an extra game. Or would you see no problem in this event happening.

There is of course a lot of variables, so lets say for arguments sake, it is not counted in any tie break procedure. If there is any conflict with another school in terms of records, then the win or loss does not count. It would almost be just for the sake of putting on a spectacle. Great exposure for SC high school sports. Lets say the game was played in a major SC arena/complex. Please vote in the poll and/or post our thoughts here.

Cheers
Dom
Posted By: Warrior Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/17/10 06:39 PM
why not just cancel a non-region game and add this exciting opportunity?
Posted By: Always Right Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/17/10 06:45 PM
Quote:

why not just cancel a non-region game and add this exciting opportunity?

Agree! I'm sure another team would understand.
Posted By: Mike Hazel Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/17/10 07:17 PM
As Dom says that the team had already used its allotment of games then the opportunity would have araisen after games had been played already so no opportunity to cancel would be present.
Posted By: High Flyer Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/17/10 07:31 PM
If someone does understand, and would cancel I would say do that.

Even if you want to play all of your out of region games, and don't want to do this to someone I'm completly all for the game. This would be great exposure for SC sports, and prove we're not a walk over.

I also think it'd be a great experience for the players on both teams, and I can't think of any reason why the game shouldn't be played.
Posted By: Wayne Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/17/10 07:33 PM
I would be against a rule change that comes by any means other than the process outlined in the consitution. Procedure is procedure. By-passing procedure sets a dangerous precedent.
Signed,
"Old Fuddy Duddy"
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/17/10 07:53 PM
Aren't the #1 and #2 teams in the nation going to meet in the South Carolina 4A state championship game in May anyway?
Posted By: The Chief Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/17/10 08:09 PM
The question is would we be in favor of a ruling of yes not what does the rule now state. All rules are meant to prevent certain situations, but there will always be reasonable exceptions that should be applied to every rule! Tell me why this rule should not have an exception in this case. A narrow and limited ruling can offer this.

Are you going to say that the precedent of allowing the #1 program to play the #2 program will have dire and unpredictable effects on the world of school sports? The concept is bring huge attention to schools and athletes in HS football do other sports and their athletes deserve less?
Quote:

Aren't the #1 and #2 teams in the nation going to meet in the South Carolina 4A state championship game in May anyway?

If you have been reading the other thread it is when Mauldin plays Dorman... all those elite players and all... No, just kidding... If a team is highly, highly, ranked they should hold a game open for such a chance, if not they should let them play. One extra game who cares, they alreay play 50 a year.
Posted By: DirtyMone Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/17/10 11:58 PM
As a fan I would love to see it - even if #3 vs #5.

As a coach, my first thought went to an unfair advantage, however, it is also a risk as it could lead to injury and could potentially cost your team a shot in the state playoffs.

Overall, it brings exposure to the state in a sport that needs more exposure, so I would be for it.
Play on! Wouldn't it be nice if our high school league would recognize the boost to SC soccer and approve something like this proactively. Of course, then, the parents of the #2 team with all the club players would want a #2 vs. #2,.......kidding.
Posted By: The Chief Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/18/10 01:20 PM
If they make the rule state that if you have X number of Premier players on your team and they have Y challenge players minues the total rec players on each side and the difference is equal to the average numbers of players who... well you get the idea
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/18/10 01:23 PM
Quote:

Hmmmm...are they letting BC play 4A this year?
Quote:

Get back on your medication, Hurst.... OH, you were talking about Mauldin, right?....
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/18/10 07:05 PM
Didn't byrnes play some florida team this past fall in Florida? I assume it was known up front by Byrnes and part of the schedule.

what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Therefore
1-If it is known up front you schedule accordingly.
2- if it is known during the season and there are non region games I believe every coach in the state would agree to cancel the game.
3- if it is known during the season and there are only region games left then
a- tough luck - try to get more info up front to schedule accordingly in the future
b- try to get special permission from SCHSL (good luck with this one)

I believe the frontier (Aiken, S. Aiken) teams already play teams from other states so it is not uncommon.
Posted By: cbdcoach Re: Hypothetical Coaches/Fan Question - 02/24/10 05:48 PM
There is nothing wrong with a SC team playing an out of state team with a high national ranking..However, just like in every other sport the rules must be followed! It is not fair, nor will the SCHSL ever allow, a team to play more than the alloted games... When scheduling you must take into consideration the limit in terms of games allowed to play! Football and Basketball teams play good out of state competition regularly, but they do it within the rules of scheduling!
Maybe NAFO will be ranked this year after that beating they put on Rock Hill last nite.
Thats the best you can do on your first post. Come with a new screen name and try harder next time.
Come back during regular season when it means somthing then you have room to post about a win! A scrimage is only as good a look at at a team as a coach wants it to be.

Beside Rock Hill does not really care about playing Na Fo bring it to the other side of FM town and then we will see what a scrimage means! (Rock Hill would likely say same about NHS or South Point)
© SC Soccer