SC Soccer
Posted By: Anonymous Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 01:56 AM
Are teams allowed to practice yet? Are teams training for the season? If so, how are they doing it? Who's going to be this spring's surprise team? Let us know!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 02:27 AM
u are not allowed to touch the balls intil the 27 i believe....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 01:49 PM
doesn't mean the team can't do any fitness exercises, running, situps, pushups, sprints, so when the time comes to touch the ball all the fitness that had to be done has already been taken care of
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 01:51 PM
why does it say im from myrtle beach im from columbia, i was just in myrtle beach when i registered. maybe i typed mb instead of columbia
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 02:02 PM
where r u from shut up? go Falcons!
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 03:26 PM
surprise team of this year will be Palmetto High from Anderson, no doubt about it

Af
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 03:34 PM
I think teams are allowed to touch a ball as long as the coach isnt present...is this true?
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 03:36 PM
GFCRaider -- No! Teams cannot play with a ball on school facilities or those of their feeder schools with or without a coach being present. Only on January 27, may soccer tryouts/practice begin

A coach may however work 1-on-3 with players on school grounds.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 03:40 PM
So are you saying a team can still play off school grounds? As long as its not like tryouts? Just kids playing after school or something?
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 03:47 PM
This is ridiculous - a rule preventing kids from ballwork - who is the governing body of HS soccer? This just appears to be a thinly veiled attempt by American Football coaches to keep their football/soccer players playing football as long as the season is on and not practising soccer. the choice should be up to the kid and his school team.

Sine le meas

Af

PS - see other thread "i don't like the rule"
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 04:00 PM
A. Foley -- While I agree that not allowing a player to work on ball skills is not desirable, please understand that ALL S.C. High School League sanctioned sports are under the HSL jurisdiction and that "dead periods" preclude every athletic season.

Football teams were not allowed to begin "football practice" and activities as such until August 1st, but could of course do conditioning work and participate in "passing leagues" or summer camps prior to the August 1st date.

Likewise, prep baseball, softball, track, boys tennis, etc. all are under the "dead period" right now.

This does not prevent players from working on their own however at community/club fields -- just on school grounds and their feeder school (i.e. Middle Schools/Junior High Schools) fields.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 04:11 PM
Thank You
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/11/03 05:28 AM
As someone who has no experience of sports being governed by such rules (from Ireland) at the risk of appearing stupid may I ask to what end these rules are introduced?? I am guessing that perhaps it is to protect students from over zealous coaches that wish to train year round etc. but that said, why does this have a bearing on when a coach can start coaching ball skills - the most basic fundamental of the game, and sadly what you Americans are most lacking in at every level right up to your National team. A kid who wants to learn should always be given the opportunity regardless.

Sine le meas

Af

PS - regarding fitness, conditioning and ball skills, you can make a player fit over a period of say 2 months - soccer skills however....are something you never stop learing right up to the day you retire from it.
Posted By: Cola Fan Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 08:37 PM
Ok Foley! The U.S. is ranked 10th and Ireland's 14th in the FIFA Rankings. You do things your way, and us "newcomers" will continue to do things the AMERICAN WAY!!!

By the way, why would someone move from Ireland to rural Anderson, S.C.?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 08:38 PM
well, considering the amount of powerhouses out there their, players would be playing club soccer in the fall and would already have sharpened their soccer skills and maybe some fitness but still, u are right Mr. Foley about soccer skills but oh well, SC has to have gay rules about everything
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 09:52 PM
Cola fan, why I'm replying to you...i don't know, I guess I'm just a petty person!

About the rankings....you are FOUR places ahead of us....think about this first

USA population 300million
Ireland population 3million

last time we played we won 2-1, it was in Lansdowne Rd in Dublin, just before the World Cup, I was at it - Reyna and Pope were the only worthwhile "Team USA" players.

The Rankings are based on results in competitive matches played

Ireland are in UEFA - other teams in UEFA include, Portugal, Spain, Italy, England, France, Sweden, Denmark etc.

USA are in CONCACAF - do you really want me to list the other teams in this??!! Canada, Cuba, Saint Lucia, Haiti, Jamaica, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago

I know whose competitive matches are easier to win - and therefore easier to climb FIFA rankings.

Sine le meas

Af

PS - what was the score when USA played Germany at the World Cup?? We drew with them....how'd you do?? [Razz]
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/10/03 11:39 PM
ouch...

I'll remember never to smart off at A. Foley...

Anyways..I so totally agree with A. Foley... the rule is retarded. It was probably implemented with good intentions. The people at the HSL probably thought they were making things "fair" but failed to see that it henders the skill level of SC high school soccer players. It sucks...but I know the L-E Varsity just goes to the Rec fields and has pick-up games (without the coach)...i'm sure other teams do too. Its the "American Way" to make rules...and its also the "American Way" to find a loop-hole...
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/11/03 12:39 AM
I digressed with the whole FIFA rankings thing. The whole point was, as a newcomer to the SC HS soccer I just cannot understand why the governing body would go so far as to BAN ball work until a set date. Surely it should be left to the discretion of schools, coaches and players.

The whole idea of rules is to prevent foul play, abuses of a given system and to ensure that the common good prevails - I don't understand how this particular rule fulfills any of those.

Another point - the "American way" is answerable for a lot of questionable changes to FOOTBALL (soccer to you!), this rule is just the latest in an already large catalogue!!! I won't go into it for fear of reprisals!!! [Smile]

Sine le meas

Af
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/11/03 07:58 PM
American soccer has come a long way in the past few years. Once our country accepts soccer we will be unstoppable.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/17/03 05:36 AM
Foley
You might ought to consider staying in Ye ole Ireland!!!1 Palmetto high will NOT be good in soccer and you will not be teaching us anything!!!!!

yeah you guys tied germany but I'll be damned if you guys couldn't buy a PK vs spain!!!!
Sorry the spot kick screwed ya'll up!!!!!

PS when are you arriving inthe states

L-E dude You guys might want to play palmetto this year so you guys can get a win!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/16/03 08:46 PM
Mr. Foley,
The H.S. League is responsible for more than one sport. I think one of the rationales for the rule may be to allow some students to play Winter sports(ie-basketball) for their H.S. without feeling the presure to try out for soccer. There is also the argument that H.S. sports should not distract too much from education. There are a lot of very positive aspects of H.S. soccer in S.C. but with the exception of 10-20 schools that have good coaches, high level player development is not one of them. Many top players depend on club soccer for their individual development. Don't get me wrong, a good H.S. coach can have a great experience in S.C. and the state and I will welcome you with open arms if in fact you move here. S.C. may have some, what you may call, peculiar soccer rules and customs but we'll fight stubbornly against change. Heck, we're still fighting the WAR of NORTHERN AGRESSION.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/17/03 02:19 AM
American soccer is doing well but still has a long way to come.....unfortunatly football and golf are the most attended sports.....the thing is not everyone knows about soccer the rules and reg. so many cannot follow the sport....football which is not a bad sport some how appeals to the average person...maybe the hitting?? who knows but for "our" soccer in "our" country we seem to be doing okay....and as far as i see ireland it is a wonderful country.....but i think this is a sc message board and yes that is in "america"...maybe mr.foley they should make a special section for you since u seem to have alot of spare time or u really love typing????
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/17/03 04:54 PM
Wiseballer,

As a matter of fact I don't have a large amount of spare time, I wish I did, but, as you like to point out YOU ARE IN AMERICA, I, however am in Ireland - there is a five hour time difference, so, when I'm home from work and training its still afternoon to you, instead of watching TV I check this as reccy to see what I can find out anything more about soccer in SC. I know a little as I have been there twice for extended stays in the last 2 years.
And, "wise"baller, it doesn't say much for the American people if they are the only ones left on the planet still left scratching their heads at the offside rule!! C'mon, there's people in famine striken Ethiopia. Football is the only true world sport, whether planet America accepts it as a whole or not matters not, the people who are involved with it there I'm sure are as passionate about it as any of the top European teams.

Shearer, just keep an eye on Palmetto's results this year, they'll speak for themselves. About Spain, don't even go there - the PK's are one thing, Roy Keane leaving Japan cos there was no footballs to train with is another - Mick McCarthy (ex-Irish manager) gets all the blame for it. One last thing, good luck to "Team USA" in the Gold Cup - I hear St.Lucia and Jamaica are on the verge of actually fielding 11 players in an international for the first time!!

Sine le meas

Af

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posted By: Anthony Pelton Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/18/03 12:55 AM
Mr.Foley,
I have studied your posts for the past few days and I must say that you do not come across as the typical Irishman I have been exposed to.I have shared a few beers in pubs outside of Parkhead in Glasgow with some of your many loyal countrymen that cross the Irish Sea every weekend to support Celtic.

I have found them for the most part to be enjoyable,funny and curtious.They have been just as interested in my American background as I in their Irish.You on the other hand seem just the opposite.Your analogies regarding population differences are interesting but as other board members have pointed out,we have many varied sports intrests in the US.
Admittedly our national team could be more consistant and hopefully with our recent World Cup showing and Coach Arenas continued efforts we will show well on the international stage.Your continued lack of respect for our qualifing group is pathetic.Mexico has five international wins over Brazil,how many do the Irish have?
You also fail to mention to your new audience how the European draw works.Yes, you could draw Germany or Belgium in your group,but you could just as easily draw Luxembourg or the Faroe Islands.
The Irish national team defends with the best in the world,but my daughters U6 team commits more to the attack.And that goes for Mick or Jackie Charlton or any other recent Irish manager.
If your intent is to alianate and just plain **** OFF your American counterparts,both players and coaches,you are well on your way.
And I will exit on this note.Reflect on your not to distant past and appreciate the fact that you may be enjoying reading this while sipping on a HARPS and munching on fish and chips instead of LOWENBRAU and saurkraut.By the way,depending on who you play I think you will find many of the players and coaches in our country up to your elevated standards.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/18/03 03:45 AM
Well said Mr. Pelton. Seems to me that Mr. Pelton has defended the United States well, from those interesting Irish remarks.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/18/03 04:57 AM
Dear Irishman,
i really doubt palmetto will have a wonderful year......i know for a fact as well as u know.....the thing is, it not that "American's" are still stuck on offsides they have grown up wathincg football.....and american's are not only getting better in the world . we are easily the best country in the world and we need little held from somone who has a negative view on us 'dumb" americans....my advice is stay home no one is beggin!
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/19/03 09:56 PM
PHS is just the same as any other HS in South Carolina and perhaps the US, I don't really know. Lets face it, "soccer" doesn't enjoy the unrivalled participation and status as No.1 sport in the US as it does elsewhere in the world. However, the people that are involved with it deserve just as much credit (if not more) as those anywhere else in the world. I am not on this website with a "I'm better than you attitude" - think about it like this, if you were moving to Ireland you'd be cribbing that there's no American Football, Baseball or Baketball - so, by that rationale I get the same dubious privilege!

"Typical Irishman" - well, I'm sorry if I don't meet your criteria, but trust me I'm just as much, if not MORE Irish than those religious and racist bigots who travel to Parkhead every other week - I've been there once and I've seen what happens at those games as you must have too.

America is "the best country" - who else apart from Americans have you ever heard say that?? America MAY produce Olympic Champions, BUT, as far as international games go thats your limit - well, apart from golf - but who won the last Ryder Cup?

I am looking forward to my first season officially involved with soccer in the states, my so called "elevated standards" are not so, I can speak so as a player as I have played right up to the highest level here in Ireland, but not as a coach and I know my limits just as well as I know not to "run my mouth" - something you guys might also want to consider.

Sine gan meas

Af
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/20/03 12:50 AM
a. foley, your comment concerning concacaf vs. uefa isn't the whole story. you failed to mention anything about mexico which is in concacaf. you also forget about a long list of uefa members. here is a few: albania, lichtenstein, cyprus, belarus, bosnia-herzovogania, and luxemborg. we also beat portugal who is one of uefa's top teams.
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/20/03 08:01 PM
I'm not bothered listing each participant from UEFA and the CONCACAF - any person living on planet earth whose head contains a human brain and not that of a flea picking primate will tell you that UEFA is FAR tougher than CONCACAF. I'm finished with this ludicrous argument.

[Mad] [Mad]

By the way, the Republic of Ireland beat Mexico the last time we met (USA '94) - remember that, when 9 out of 10 Americans stopped on the street by the BBC didn't know what the World Cup was? [Big Grin]

Er..... do you know what the BBC is?? [Confused]

Sine

Af
Posted By: the voice of reason Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/20/03 10:19 PM
This thread started as someone asking if teams have started training and is escalating toward an international incident. Just kidding. But in all seriousness- the 27th is a rule made by our governing body. If we as a soccer community do not like that, then we need to lobby the governing body to change the rule with hard facts and a convincing argument, not the "this is a dumb rle" argument. Just like there is mandatory dead time in college soccer and professional teams and national teams have time off, high school soccer has mandatory dead time. Yes I would like another week or two at the beginning, but I fully support mandatory dead time. I think the World Cup should be played every three years instead of four but that is not the rule. I feel a GK should be allowed to handle a throw-in from his own player, but he cannot b/c that is the rule (fyi- I do support the current back pass rule).

Players interested in seriously improving skills can play club in the fall, ODP or indoor in the winter, high school in the spring and 6-aside or attend camps in the summer. Granted, all of these levels may not have the top level coaches but this schedule gives kids a chance to play year round if they choose too. If you allow high school to practice all the time, you would loose some of the players b/c they would not want to train the schedule that some coaches would want to run. And let's not forget to think of the coaches. We all know that there is more money to be made by coaching club teams, but many of us choose to coach high school teams in the spring b/c of the numerous non-monetary rewards that come with high school teams.
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/20/03 10:50 PM
in a word "exactly"

Sine le meas

Af

PS - and whats this about monetary rewards?? I'm doing it as a freebie - methinks I'm being "jolly ranchered"!!!
Posted By: Anthony Pelton Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/21/03 12:45 AM
Jason,
Under normal circumstances I would agree this thread has digressed from its intended direction, but correct me if I am wrong,I think we have all been insulted!
To: Mr.Foley
Seems the score you were refering to in USA 94 was MEXICO 2, REP OF IRELAND 1 played June 24 in front of 60,790 fans in Orlando.I mention the attendance because according to the FIFA info I am looking at it was the third best attended World Cup on record which casts serious doubt on your 9 of 10 Americans comment.And finally,BBC--Err--British Broadcasting Corporation- How did we do? Oooppps,Excuse me, I have an itch!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/21/03 02:22 PM
Anthony-

I have but one word for you: ****ING BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!! Oops thats two my bad!!!!!!!

Oh yeah It's MY island Steven is my name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The magpies move to third Spot in the EPL behind Scumchester and the Gunners!!!!!!

Shearer Strikes again only TEN SECONDS into the match with Bellamy giving the second goal in the second half!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/22/03 12:01 AM
OK, you got me, it was bound to happen sooner or later, the only memory of that match I have is John Aldridge scoring for Ireland, obviously it was the only goal we scored in that game, but we still got through to the next round! Mr.Pelton, it was worth it for me to make a mistake for you to get so much pleasure from it!! [Razz]

Less of the Braveheart quotes - much of it was filmed in the next county up from me - Wicklow.

Sine le meas

Af
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/22/03 12:23 AM
British Broadcasting Corportation
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/22/03 12:55 AM
Just thought i'd mention that about this whole BBC and 9 out of 10 thing. Foley is talking about the "average" american. Not the diehard soccer fan that visits a soccer site regularly. AVERAGE AMERICAN...you guys can't say that you haven't seen "Jay Walking" on Late Night with Jay Leno and those common sense questions he asks...like "What does the NAACP stand for?"... Nobody on this board should be insulted. Lighten up guys.

oh and the BBC is awesome..way better than our retarded liberal networks...
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/24/03 10:32 PM
Credit to LE Dude (for once [Wink] ) - jeez, will you guys lighten up? You'll have plenty of time to be mad at me when my team is givin all your teams a good spankin!!!

"The third best attended world cup" - WOW, there's something to be proud of, from what you guys said I thought America was "THE BEST COUNTRY" - not "the third best"!!!! Well, at least you guys are guaranteed and American winner of the "WORLD" Series and of the Superbowl every year!!! [Razz]

Good luck this year to everyone.

Sine le meas

Af
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/25/03 02:28 AM
Just thought i'd say this before someone else does and is mean about it. The NFL is the only league out of the big 4 NBA,NHL,NFL, and MLB that has a 0% chance of an outside of the US club winning. The NBA has the Toronto Raptors. MLB has the Montreal Expos and the Toronto Blue Jays. Finally the NHL...which is clearly the most competitive when it comes to "WORLD" championships. Cause everyone knows Canadians are mad nasty hockey players. Senators all the way!

Anyways...its a good point...but you can rest easy Foley...Americans no matter how pompous we may be...we will never steal Cricket from Great Britain. I'm sure thats comforting.
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/26/03 11:07 PM
Ok, let me get a grasp of your point.... because there are two countries, neighbouring countries at that, in a given tournament that renders the tournament "International" and the winners are the "world champions" at the given sport?! Only an American could come out with that.

Steal Cricket - you can have it - you think I'm British...er...I'm not, I'm Irish, BIG DIFFERENCE. We've got our own Irish sports, the GAA - Gaelic Football and Hurling - ever heard of those?? Nope - sissy Americans wouldn't like the contact aspect of it - well contact without hiding behind big pads like YOUR "football". Ha, any field game that a 300lb man can compete REALLY HAS PROBLEMS. The only thing that American indigenous sport has going for it is cheerleaders - but now thats a sport too?!!

Only in America

Sine le meas

Af
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/27/03 12:10 PM
I was kind of being facecious about the whole "world" champion thing. I don't agree with it either...

Basketball is actually the ONLY sport indigenous to the US...and there are no 300lbs basketball players...except for maybe Shaq...I'm not sure... but still.

About the cricket thing..it was a failed attempt to be funny..my bad.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/27/03 04:09 PM
WO WO WO WO Foley!!!! Sissy? If I am right don't you guys wear skirts in hurling? Look you are not doing yourself any favors by coming on this board and bashing Americans! As a maater of fact you are probably helping yourself get a couple of bashings!!!! I hope you arrive quickly in the US and please keep us posted on your reinventing of the SC high school soccer game!!!! If you have any notes on this please send them I just took a massive dump or to the following adress:

Somebody that gives a ****
Anywhere but South Carolina
Posted By: ChuckNorris Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 05:13 AM
AFooly!tsk,tsk,tsk. My how you have stepped on your own ****!! Who are you calling sissies? At first I took a blind eye to your useless rantings on this board, but now you have offended a true AMERICAN. How dare you, a giddy little leprechuan, call Americans sissies. If you want to leave your potato starved island, for the comfort and convenience of the greatest nation on earth, you had damned well be gratefull. I dont take kindly to anyone talking trash about America or Americans. If your thoughts are true than I want you to bring your A-game, whatever it may be, becuase I will knock you in the dirt!!! I will make you wish you had never uderappreciated the strengths and values of our great nation. By the way, Ireland, 1000's of years old, America, 227. And I'm not talking about your "gay lic" speaking 1922 debut, I'm sure you know that that weak culture has been around for centuries, constantly being beaten and harrassed like red headed step children(no pun intended) No wonder 1.5 million came to my great country in the mid 1800's.Don't you ever get on an American( and South Carolina is as American as it gets) message board and try to belittle us. Words are cheap, so if you are man( I assume you are) enough to come on over then come. I LOVE foreigners. I love to bring them to light on American power. We take you in, we give you education, we offer you freedom, and we are by no means afraid to give you lessons in humility. By the way, I love soccer also. Trained, played, watched, coached, and appreciated since I was a "wee tot". And as a proud American I can show you the legal side of ball-busting and contact. Officials in America may be timid, but I assure you players are not. Take your time Foley to think before you speak, and take time to appreciate your soon to be home. If you can not call it home then GO AWAY!!
AMERICA, land of the free, the strong, the brave, the patriotic.... the home of myself. Feel free to contact me further for information on patriotismand your so called Sissieness. I will be more than willing to show you the light and bring humility to an otherwise arrogant boy. If you still believe you are a better person, that's fine. I still believe in a good dueling at dawn. Either way you will lose. So keep your derogatory comments to yourself, or at least in your own country, becuase now you are in mine!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/27/03 06:31 PM
AH2K3, George Lucas called he wants his name back!!!!!! But any how GREAT POST
CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S Foley you done ****ed off the wrong American!!!!!!

P.S.S. L-E Dude please shut your mouth when speaking of soccer related topics!!!!!!!
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/27/03 11:43 PM
Well, I p*ssed someone off did I? Oops "my bad".

First things first - how many of your little boyfriends did you have to collaborate with to contrive such a masterpiece of ignorance, ill-informed "fact" and pure nonsense?
Whatever you say about Ireland at least have the decency to ensure what you say is true. Ireland was never "potato starved" - I take it that you are referring to the Irish Famine which was caused by the landlord system and a blight of the main food source AT THE TIME. To put it in modern day terms...imagine if McDonalds and Burger King went bust America would experience something similar. "Weak cutlure" - we may have crap weather and ugly girls but culture and beer are probably the only aces up Irelands national sleeve. A nation of playwrites, writers and poets dating back to the year dot hardly alludes to a country bereft of cutlure....then again, that depends on your definition of culture - if MTV, TV dinners, blind patriotism and a past war still being fought by those who lost is what floats your boat then I guess the States walks it. i don't need to go to America for an education, I've got my BA so you can keep your Ivy League nonsense. FREEDOM?? You give "us" freedom? OOhh, you have obviously never been outside American borders little man - you have no idea what true freedom is. I'll bet the Iraqis can't wait for your soldiers to bring American freedom to them - oh, if your counrty is the greatest then how come you are having to land your precious planes in Ireland before they set off for the gulf? You, the greatest country on earth needs our help? Just make sure to give us a few potatoes and we'll call it even.

Now...national differences to one side, football, I would LOVE to arrange a little "friendly" with you and your friends (if you have any). Everything you said about Ireland I can let pass, but to threaten me..well, its laughable. I'm not going to make threats about football, I prefer to let my playing do the talking - I'm not going to beat you up, **** up your knees or break methods of a weak player - I'll humiliate you in more ways than the Vietnamese could torture your boys a few years ago....thats a fair comment after your snipe about the famine.

One last thing..."the light of American power" - save that for the boys in Guetanamo Bay, I'm sure they and their friends can't wait to feel that particular embrace (the ones that aren't there already)....but, I'm sure you sleep soundly at night.

Sine le meas

Af

PS - this is a soccer site so keep to the point.
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/27/03 11:47 PM
Shearer you muppet - its Newcastle-Upon-Tyne not Newcastle-Upon-Thyne you faux British clown.

D'UH

Sine

Af
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 12:30 AM
Shearer- You are so ignorant man. I don't care what you said about Foley or anything... but if your mind was half as open as your big mouth you would realize that i'm just trying to keep this thread civilized. But be my guest...go off on a tangent and be irrational...that goes for everyone. Its gotten so much accomplished already.

As for the original topic of this post...it doesn't matter anymore anyways because we can officially practice now. How about you guys get eachother's screennames and go have a chat somewhere else.
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 12:40 AM
its starting to get ugly. You all turning on each other - thats how Civil Wars start children!!!!

Before ye all go crazy at me again I'm only kidding!!!!

Sine le meas

Af
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 03:28 AM
To L-E DUDE GO LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE

Mr. Foley,
In all respect i think i have much missed the point of your country and ours....thats why they call our country the GREATEST in the world....if u want to talk about civil war even though u were kidding look at ur own country, its terrorist, people murdering people over religion and somhow u sit here and knock on our country when u are coming to live here.......the vietnam comment is def. out of hand since you really dont understand what u have said and the ppl. that the comment will affect....i think out of line is a good phrase for the comment it is offensive.......your ignorance and flavorfuly bad attitude to the american people is so stupid, it seems funny at times.....let me ask u why are u coming here with such resentment of american people?? why bother?? we dont have problems withtin our country like u have within yours honestly nor do we want that.....the soccer team u help with will not benifit from your comments towards them nor how we play "soccer".....and please dont make ur ountry go to war with us b/c u and i both know u would win and thats about it..u can add numbers and stuff but u know we will win.......maybe u feel their is a "superiority" complez somewhere hear.....it is a wonderful country and i have been to urs and there will be no comparison that is needed to be made.....we have beutiful women, beutiful places, food, culture, and we have wonderful soccer which beutiful women watch that arent in ur country..........in conclusion ur threats and comments are worse than comical all i can say is back up what ur mouth has to say b/c i think u have had a system overload
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 03:35 PM
L-E DUDE

I must confess that I had no idea that you were really representing Lugoff-Elgin HS. WOW!!!! You've got to be kidding me!!!!! I'm ignorant!! I had to do a little research about LEHS.

As I looked around about the great tradition of LE soccer I noticed the following:

1) You guys really are a bad soccer team!!!
2) You guys are a really bad soccer team that plays a really ****ty schedule.
3)Even with that ****ty schedule LE has an outstanding 61-102 overall record. That means you guys have an overwhelming winning percentage of .374!!!!! WOW the excitement!!!!!!!!1
4)Your massey rating that you so highly reguard, has ya'll ranked 58th in 2002 and an outstanding 94th in 2001!!!!!!
5) I happened to be at the 2002 North/South game in which a player from L-E was selected!!!! I think he was the best to ever come out of L-E b/c he played classics but was truly out of his league during this match!!!!!!

But any how I am sure you will say that we are a new team trying to get better etc etc. Well let me help you out: YOU ARE NOT!!!!!!1 You posted over 250 post on this site with the background of my grandmother about the game!!!!! So in all who is really an ignorant man!!!!! Good luck this year vs the Gov's school. Maybe you guys could set up a home and home with the school for the deaf and blind next year!!!!!!

Well you guys wanted to get back to soccer and I think the original topic was practice!? Well thank god we can practice now b/c L-E Dude and LEHS sure do need it!!!!!!
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 06:27 PM
Wiseballer,

I refuse to be drawn on the subjects you have mentioned in your own unique fashion. Grammatical, spelling and factual errors aside, there (not their) is ZERO substance to what you have attempted to state (thats another word for "say" by the way).

The soccer team I am helping will of course benefit from my being there, the players and staff there are top notch people and athletes and I have never had made any comments or had any thoughts to the contrary and nor do I have any inclination to (that means I've no reason to and therefore I won't).

A final thought for those who have read what wiseballer has to say and have successfully discyphered it....to quote Anne Robinson from "The Weakest Link"......

"Is there a village missing its idiot?"

Sine le meas agus gaire

Af
Posted By: ChuckNorris Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 06:48 PM
"Fooly", WOW I really just found out how ignorant you really are, so let me one last time waste get a good laugh, while I blast you.
First off, you were correct and this might be the only time, you have in fact "****ed" me off. I just want you to know that if indeed you do come to my country, just once let me hear you critisise it. Becuase if you do I will go through you like **** through a goose!! I will make you wish you were back at "The Lake Isle of Innisfree". I take pride in my great country, unlike a bunch of dirty irish. WE defeated the British, what did you do?
Second, for such a "great" cultural literary backgroud, you sure did miss the sarcasm and the synonyms. Let me explain, potato starved refers to the commonly know potato famine or Irish famine(as you know) and starved is the same as(synonym) famished. Heres a little fact for you, at the same time the U.S. suffured through the same blight, yet we suvived(we are stronger).
Third, that brings me to your playwright/ poet comment. I assure you I know all about Swift, Joyce, Yeats, the "Book of Kells", and yes even Bram Stoker. Appreciate the great literature fellows but WOW fellows talk about sissies!!! By the way not all Americans are fat and lazy as the rest of the world seems to think, but our freedom allows those slobs to do that and I will forever defend it. I do not eat at McD's or BK, even though they are AMERICAN born. Don't even try to bring down our culture, becuase it is just a giant mix of the rest of the world's with freedom and opportunity intermixed.
As for education, great job on getting a BA, but keep working and get back to me. Ivy League? you wish you could be so prestiges as to be able to go to one of thoughs schools.
Next, don't even question freedom. WE fought for ours we know what it is. WE fough for Britain, France, Itailans, North Africans, just to name a few. You **** Europeans better well keep that in mind. Iraq, we have no plans to give them our American freedoms. When we are done with S.H., they can do whatever their culture relegates, as long as we can stop terrorism. If we want to land planes on you rock we will fell free to do so, becuase you will be compensated for it, to bad it won't be in potatoes.(By the way you can thank the Spanish for the potato)
I sure I dont need to go on, just know anytime, anyplace, anything. By the way, you left the topic to argue with high schoolers about "cricket", "gay-Lic football", and "hurling" and "cheerleader" which might just be the one thing we agree on at this point, so take your own advice. You mess with the bull you get the horns.

Si vis pacem, para bellum. Caveant consules.
Posted By: count zero Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 07:13 PM
Shearer
I was just wondering where did you get the information the post above??

From SIS??

Count Zero
I Shall Return
Posted By: ChuckNorris Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 07:17 PM
One more thing, Please excuse the typos and gramatical errors.

P.S. -Training officially starterd yesterday Foley. I hope you are here to get busy, becuase we don't care what kind of magical football skills you think you have, you will need every bit of prep time you can get to prepare for the likes your opponents.(Make sure you beat somebody before you get on here and mouth off about greatness)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 07:29 PM
Count Zero

I got my information from right here at scsoccer.com in the archives. Also the massey rankings are there as well. Truth hurts sometimes!!!!

To ah2k3/C3PO

You do not understand!!!! Foley will win simply because he is IRISH!!!!!!!! DUH!!!!!!! "
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 09:33 PM
Ok AH2K3, I can tell that you're not going to roll over in the face of my intellect like all the others, so I will hit you with some more hard home truthes before I get there and move this quarrel from its verbal to a more...shall we say tangible form?!

Anyway, yes, you defeated the French, well, the British did it for you, then they asked you to pay for their soldiers (taxes) and you went to war with them, you beat them...the first counrty in the world to defeat the British Navy. Well done. HOWEVER, you have Commodore John Barry to thank for that, he currently resides six feet under in Pennsylvania, however he, like me, was born in Wexford, IRELAND as was JFK's family. There's a big statue of him (JB) on our Quay front. In case you haven't noticed we too defeated the British although being neighbours of theirs made it a little more difficult. You suffered a potato blight and survived, ok, at that time there were VERY different conditions for the average man here than there. Here they were tenant farmers - there they owned their own land, the common Irish man at that time was on a par with with a slave there.

Education - yes I'm still working. Don't offend my degree by saying I would be chuffed to get one from an Ivy League school, our standard of education is FAR superior than that of the States and its free for anyone who gets a good enough Leaving Certificate.

You fought for Europe in WW1/WW2, you only got involved in WW1 cos your merchant ships kept getting sunk by German U-boats and in WW2 cos you were attacked by the Japs. As for Saddam Huessain, well, I genuinely fear for us all with that one, you guys can't resist in poking that hornets nest - I really do hope that it doesn't get out of control. Those towel heads are crazy enough as it is without some westerners (USA, Britain et al (incl. Ireland)) getting involved too.

My football skills are proven, right up to the highest level here although I never did grace the international stage [Razz] or play for my school. HOWEVER, my coaching credentials are not so dazzling - 1 year coaching youths last year.

You never did say anything about getting a little game going? I'll throw it right open to you - "anyplace, anytime" - I'm serious, I get there March 20th so anytime after that. Oh, I'll be expecting the red carpet and champagne reception, although I'm sure you've already started making arrangements!!!

Sine le meas

Af

PS - Shearer, good boy for changing your location!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 09:44 PM
Fooley, I'd first like to welcome you to the great country that your are about inhabit. As much as you TRY to play that off, I'm just as sure you are excited as any other FOREIGNER is to become an American.
Putting all that beside, I would like to say this is my sons name so be sure to keep you remarks at a descent level, he has been telling me of the funny stuff he reads on here while we sit at the dinner table enjoying a nce potatoe here and there; unitl today when he asked me to look at some comments you made. Specifically commments about Vietnam. Well listen my friend... for once... being a pilot during Vietnam, I can tell you your comments were not needed. If you saw only HALF of what I ****ing saw you would never dare comment about it. You wanna talk about tough, well when you talk about those men who fought that war and came back and have TRIED to move on... they are tough... not a skirt wearing hurler, or 300 pound grunt on a football field. Let me enlighten you and the other nice folks that read tis stuff about Vietnam on a personal level. My bestfriend.... shot in the leg... have you ever felt a bullet inside you? You seem to be a genious aith your BA so inform us when you respond. But thats the weak stuff. I flew a helicopter sometimes, when there was no one to bomb... like the movie We WERE SOLDIERS. Basically that is what I did. I would fly into zones and pick up the injured or dead, go back then return for more. I have seen BOYS the same age as the ones you are on here arguing, that were burnt like a piece of steak form head to toe. Others with limbs missing, some with everything form the inside hanging out. Mind you these boys were still alive, fighting for their life. Is that tough enough for you? The images engraved into my head for the rest of my life or undescirbable... and you Foley seem to be just another ***hole that this country is letting in.. but you can only come here for men like myslef,and others who fought for AMERICA and YOU.. (the ones who flee over here).
Soccer wise... I coached a group of boys from their younger years into U16 National Champions not too long ago. (Jackson Raiders of New Jersey) 4 of those noys now go to Saint Benedicts.. the #1 high school in the nation.. they travel to Europe and might I add... handle your teams very well. But hey, the team includes an Irish boy fomr Dublin, and others throughout the world... but most are Americans... most starters. Am I an all knowing soccer god... NO.. am I European... thus making me a god in every aspect like you Foley.. NO.... but let me tell you one thing.... I would take my life... with the **** that I have been through over your BA achieving whatever you want to call it life.
Im not on here to bash you Foley, nor critize your country, who was more than welcoming when I landed my plane there to refuel for my final push back to the States during war time. A great country you are leaving behind. A country with as many problems as America, with as many defeats as America, but a country that pushed through those defeats for a better living... like AMERICA.
I wish you all the best with your new team, and hope you create a powerhouse team to challenge the others already here.

SORRY FOR THE NOVEL.....

FORZA MILAN
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 09:54 PM
And before you want to think about going into a battle of intelligents... I may be your best challenge thus far, I am a doctor, with Degrees from NYU and Duke University, in my spare time I enjoyed collecting a BA like yourself to sit along side my MDS. But I doubt you will, because I feel you will start to realize how rediculous all of this has become...
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 10:12 PM
OK, I genuinely felt bad there for a moment, however then I thought of the 100,000's if not millions that died here during or as a consequence of the famine (the ORIGINAL COMMENT that provoked the Nam remark) - were these people military personnel? Did they have guns? Were they "Commies"? Did they drop bombs? Nope. Their crime was being poor. They got to starve to death, disease, malnutrition - the ones that fled to America, a lot of them died on the "coffin ships" before they ever got there, the others built your railways and your buildings - your infrastructure.

You asked me to keep my remarks decent - but you go into graphic detail about your experiences in Vietnam?! Go figure that one out.

Your bestfriend was shot in the leg and you ask me if I've ever had a bullet in me? Well, my answer is no - same as your answer so whats your point? I know people who have been shot, and taken a bullet for a more just cause than what you were fighting. Your lovely detailed accounts of what you've seen - yeah I've seen a lot of that stuff, I had the dubious fortune to work in a hospital for three years.

One last thing, you must have been one great pilot to fly bombing missions and rescure missions in helicopters and then to fly an aeroplane back to the states. You sure you weren't an engineer or something and just threw a few stories in together?

Ever heard of therapy? I missed a penalty in training last night (believe it or not), but hey, these things happen, let it go....ITS OVER MAN!!

Sine le meas (yours with respect)

Af

PS - to this guys son, I'll bet your bedtime stories have always been fun.

Good luck in the upcoming season if you play by the way!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/28/03 10:46 PM
dude foley........1st off if u dont like the USA then please dont grant us with your presence.........2nd shut the crap up about the USA vs. Ireland thing u have going on here.......this is a soccer message board 4 South Carolina High School Soccer......no1 wants 2 hear your freakin crap about how u couldnt make it in Ireland so u had 2 retreat 2 the US......spare us man..........peace
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/29/03 12:32 AM
Fooley, thank you for your wondeful comments about grammer and such subjects but your comments are a joke and your only intent is to be on here and ring someones bell which you have obviously done....i want to give you a round of applause of really "proving" nothing in your defense and really showing the rest of the state how screwed this high school is to be getting you...i pray for the school that has to deal with you....you nor your country will ever touch us but go ahead stay on here and talk your talk and guess wht it will get you nowhere...
p.s. you must be a wonderful link to something i have yet to find??
but go head and make something up, some good comment and i mean jeez what havent you said...we are waiting for your idiotic points concerning our wars..... i look forward to reading your next novel.....i feel sorry for sc for your comments
Posted By: Anthony Pelton Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/29/03 01:51 AM
Mr.Foley,
You obviously were not a history major in that wanna be Irish institution you attended.
Point 1-In your first reference to The French and Indian War which you said the British won for us I think you will find that a British General Braddock totally ignored the advise of a young mi litia officer,George Washington and promptly led a group of Redcoats{himself included}to their deaths outside what is today Pittsburgh Pennsylvannia
Further research would also point out that the majority of the balance of that war was won by units of American militia led by Washington and others.
Point 2 I guess your reference to Mr. Barry some how ties in with Cornwallis at Yorktown which ultimately brought us our freedom in The Revolution ,I have only this to say.Any idiot that would put 12,000 troops on a tiny penninsula like Yorktown to get re-supplied by a navy that could be easily trapped and destroysd{and it was} gets what it deserves{and it did}And thanks to the French for helping out here{the only thing they ever did for this country,but it was a biggie}
Point 3 We got involved in WW1 because of a telegram sent by the Germans to the Mexicans trying to insigate a war with us.
Point 4 We were sending all kinds of contraband starting in early 1940 to our European friends to help stave off the Nazis{18 months before Pearl Harbor}
Point 5 I have taken the liberty of forwarding when I could,copying and faxing when I had to,this entire thread to the following locations:Princpal and Athletic Director of Palmetto H.S.: The President of The Chamber of Commerce of both Palmetto and Anderson{since it is the closest city,want to make sure you feel at home}.
And lastly,Point 6 reflect on these words by another great American GO AHEAD PUNK, MAKE MY DAY! Enjoy your brief stay in our country!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/29/03 03:04 AM
To foley: I just first want to say that i am not the son of a airborne pilot from vietnam, i am a college student and that was my roommate trying to get a rise out of you, which is obviously a very easy thing to accomplish. On another note I very much find it amusing that you are waisting your "fun filled" life in Ireland sitting on a computer and trying to argue with kids probably half your age over who's country has the biggest cock. It sounds to me like you need to do something a little more productive with your life. In the aspect as to wether or not i am calling this from an "american" standpoint is very much true and i would fight over this country until the day i die, however i have also been to europe(Spain) over the winter time and i very much love the country as well as my girlfriend who lives there. Not once during my three week stay did i hear a derogatory comment made about my country such as any of the ones that you have made. I also tend to agree with most everyone else out there writing on the basis that how can you sit and endlessly put down the country that you will soon call your home. Sounds to me like you are shoving that foot really far into your mouth. Now as i mentioned earlier i felt that this was funny that we are having this discussion on a highschool soccer website, and i thought i would be the last to write anything on here, however you have succeeded in drawing me into your little virbal bashing. When it is all said and done you will be in the country that you have been putting down all along and it surely is a lonely place when you are residing beside a bunch of sissie, fake patriotic men and women whom dont understand what offsides is. ENJOY YOUR STAY!!!!

Hala Madrid
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/29/03 03:09 AM
if you gentleman are done with your petty discussion I would much perfer to return to a helpful and entertaining discussion about the sport which are all bound to. We may all have difference in religion, nationality, race, and other opinions...however, we all have a bond to soccer which cannot be looked over...so save your yipping for another web forum cause I believe this is scSOCCER.com not Ihavenothingbettertodothanmakemyselflooklikeanidiot.com so back to the topic...
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/29/03 05:04 AM
Thank you everyone for proving my point.

Shearer- Everytime you post you make me feel better about myself. Thank You.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/29/03 11:34 AM
This Foley guy obviously does not know that America uses countries like Ireland for parking lots.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/29/03 06:12 PM
L-E Dude

No problem anytime!!!!!!!!! I enjoy helping the less fortunate!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 01/29/03 07:43 PM
JS3 said it. Original point of this thread was if the teams are training yet or not, by now I am guessing that they are. So, therefore the threads relevance is no longer.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 02/02/03 06:00 AM
I'm really reluctant to jump into this whole braw, but......
1 - EVERYONE PLEASE SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!
2 - Mr. Fooley, if you think so low of america , why move here? honestly? I am not trying to say anything offensive, but why would you go somewhere you don't like? I understand that you are only 22 , but that does classify you as a man and that is one thing you are not acting like. The majority of the people you are arguing with on here are 15-17 , which is the equivelent of me arguing with a ten year old. JUST STOP. your not going to accomplish anything with pointless banter. I am not trying to offend you or belittle you in any way , i am just saying that arguing over all this is not needed.
3 - everyone from america. PLEASE just stop replying to Mr. fooley. Just remeber that if you ignore someone they will get tired of hearing their own voice.
4 - EVERYONE SHUT UP!!!!!!
Posted By: Andrew Foley Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 02/03/03 05:39 AM
er - this whole thing was "so last week"!!! - forget it kid, everyone else has.

Why you got PHSsoccer as a name>? you involved with them?

af
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 02/06/03 02:30 PM
I go to Pendleton Highschool. We are in the same conference as your team though, so yea i am involved with palmetto.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 02/06/03 02:31 PM
Oh yeah , and sorry i don't come on here every day to see how often a thread has been posted on.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are Teams Practicing Yet? - 02/06/03 11:14 PM
foolish children [Frown]
© SC Soccer