SC Soccer
Posted By: chocolate What is going on at Irmo HS? - 03/11/15 04:37 PM
Rumors of a coaching change. What gives?
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: What is going on at Irmo HS? - 03/11/15 04:43 PM
Irmo Boys Soccer has an official coaching change as of March 11, 2015. The new coach is Steve Duerr.
Posted By: Warrior Re: What is going on at Irmo HS? - 03/13/15 02:50 PM
Irmo's Matt Brophy placed on 'administrative leave' as head boys' soccer coach

Lexington Chronicle
By THOMAS GRANT JR.
chroniclesports@yahoo.com

For the third time in three years, Irmo High School has a new varsity head boys soccer coach. Stephen Duerr, who has served as the junior varsity boys' soccer coach, was named to the varsity position on an interim basis two days ago. He replaced Matt Brophy, who succeeded longtime head coach Phil Savitz in 2013 following his departure to River Bluff. Savitz spent 33 seasons at Irmo, winning a state record 635 games and 14 championships.

In a statement released Thursday, Lexington-Richland District Five spokesman Mark Bounds said Brophy was “placed on administrative leave from his soccer coaching responsibilities at Irmo High School for violation of district and state student transportation policies”. He remains employed as a District Five teacher. Bounds added this is a pending personnel matter and could not comment any further.

Brophy led the Yellow Jackets to a 23-3-1 record, the Region 4-4A title and the third round of the Class 4A playoffs in his first season at the helm. He previously spent seven seasons at J.F. Byrnes School, leading the Rebels to back-to-back playoff berths in 2011 and 2012.

In Duerr's first game as interin head coach, Irmo shut out previously undefeated White Knoll 5-0 Wednesday at W.C. Hawkins Stadium. The Yellow Jackets are currently ranked fifth in the S.C. High School Soccer Coaches Association's Class 4A poll and travel to Ashley Ridge Friday.
Posted By: Cav Re: What is going on at Irmo HS? - 03/13/15 03:24 PM
I know at my school, I don't change practice fields without the AD knowing about it, let alone anything with transportation. So my question is did the AD get put on leave also?
Posted By: Cola Fan Re: What is going on at Irmo HS? - 03/13/15 03:38 PM
As Shakespeare's Marcellus famously state in Hamlet: "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."
Posted By: TugJobber Re: What is going on at Irmo HS? - 03/14/15 08:27 PM
Transportation policies? Like what taking vans or something? Don't all the other teams at Irmo do the same thing?
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: What is going on at Irmo HS? - 03/18/15 10:53 AM
3/18/15

Irmo places coach Brophy on leave from boys soccer team
Akilah Imani Nelson, The State
Posted By: Warrior Irmo High Soccer Coach Fired - 03/25/15 03:34 PM
Irmo HS Soccer Coach Fired
Posted By: lvrpul Re: Irmo High Soccer Coach Fired - 03/26/15 12:31 AM
???????? What is the State policy? Some schools make the parents carpool the players to games and the administration is ok with it
Posted By: Warrior Re: Irmo High Soccer Coach Fired - 03/26/15 11:42 AM
Word from some Irmo people I know says it's more of a witch hunt than a transportation issue. Sad times for that lot.
was Thad tossed, too?
Posted By: Anthony Pelton Re: Irmo High Soccer Coach Fired - 03/26/15 06:12 PM
I can stand this no longer. I know Coach Brophy is going through a grievance process and we are supposed to let this play out legally. The longer we as coaches say nothing about this, the longer Matt looks guilty in the eyes of many.
I think the "Witch Hunt" analogy is accurate. This is not 1692 Massachusetts--and those poor(mostly)women were killed, then exonerated. This is killing me.
There are some simple life lessons--know the difference between right and wrong and do what is right.
This is wrong AND WE ALL KNOW IT. Stand up and let your voice be heard.
And if the rumors(just rumors) I hear of Club Coaches having a hand in this--THEN SHAME ON YOU!
Anthony Pelton
Mid Carolina Soccer
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: Irmo High Soccer Coach Fired - 03/26/15 06:27 PM
Well stated Anthony!
Posted By: Scott Ruggles Re: Irmo High Soccer Coach Fired - 03/26/15 07:08 PM
I am not in the "loop", but very well stated Anthony
© SC Soccer