SC Soccer
I'm just wondering who evryone is looking to be in the state championships in 2005?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/12/04 10:36 PM
4A-Irmo
3A-Chapin
2A-bishop England
1A-?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/16/04 12:14 AM
There is no way Chapin will take home state this year. They will be competetive in 3A but won't be able to hang with Greenville or Eastside.
Raidersoccer052000 may be biased toward his Greenville team, but he is correct. Those two teams, especially Eastside, should be favorites to win 3A. With regards to 4A, let's see someone step up and pick someone other than Irmo.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/16/04 02:34 PM
AAAA- Irmo- Returning a majority of last year's State Championship team with an unbelievable senior class.
AAA- Eastside- Was a very young team last year and faired well. Seniors and Juniors are among top in the state(behind only Irmo, in my opinion)
AA- Bishop England- Always the team to beat in AA.
A- Don't know enough about.
Cornerflag...who is your pick for 4A? Is it Irmo, I am going to have to following the lemmings and say Irmo too. I belive that they have too many strong players returning not to put in a bid for the state championship. If I were a betting man.....
Any Predictions for Red Neck League this year?
The AP Pole has the following rankings:
1. Dixie
2. Buford
3. Darrell,Jr. High
4. Bubba Prep
5. Blackville-Hilda
6. Betty Lou Elite Academy for Boys
7. South Aiken
8. Marlboro County
9. Indian Land
10.Mullins
it nice to see someone pick against the grain sometimes. Yes, Irmo is the favorite, but it's nice when someone goes against the grain a little bit and tries something a little different as long as their educated about their guess and are not actually playing on the team. Personally, I think that Eastside has most of the tools to be the top team in the state even over the 4A schools. But, then again, that's another obvious choice for 3A.
Betty Lou Elite Academy will win it all!!!
I meant "It is nice" and "they're educated".

Sorry for the typo.
Posted By: BDad11 Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/17/04 01:40 AM
Who are some of the better players for Eastside? I presume they play club for CESA.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/17/04 02:34 AM
Eastside will have a great team this year and will be a very tough team to beat throughout the season and in the playoffs, but after personally playing them, and watching Irmo play in a few games last year, and watching some of there state match last year before loading up on the bus, I will have to say that Irmo will have a better more talented team than Eastside. Though we truly won't know unless the two teams play. I really hate to say that, because I don't like the reputation Irmo has earned thoughout the years, but the fact is they have a great program. I also think Irmo should win the state and be ranked in the top 5 nationally.
On paper, both teams are rock solid with the exception of keeper. Eastside doesn't have a standout keeper. That could hurt them in close games. But that being said, both teams should have a strong season.
Does anyone in 2A ever get upset that Bishop England doesn't have to work out its starting lineup under the same rules as the public schools? Just wondering...

lpaf
LPAF - What do you mean? Why don't they? They play in the public SCHSL, so they have to abide by the same rules. What's your take?
Posted By: BDad11 Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/17/04 02:45 PM
2004striker, is Bubba Prep located in Sugar Tit, SC, where the Bubba Festival is celebrated?Just wondering?
bdad,
Yes thats the place. Bubba Prep is looking for a new pitch this spring. The one they used last spring got plowed under for soybeans. The administration at BP is looking at a nice cow pasture on the outskirts of Sugar Tit. They hope to have it ready for play by Feb 1 for its first scrimmage against Darrell,Jr. High.
Hammer --

I'm twisting the use of the word "rule" a bit, I guess. I'm sure the SCHSL rules are the same, but BE is able to draw an upscale student body from a very large geographic area to constitute its 897 students. That's hugely different from, for example, a 2A Walhalla. I just wondered if there is ever grumbling from the 2A schools about this disparity. I know the best public programs compete and sometimes win state over BE. But it is always BE they have to overcome. I've always thought their level of play was much more similar to the good 4A schools.

lpaf
I don't know the reason that BE, Christ Church, and others are allowed to play ball in SCHSL, but BE should be placed in 3A or even 4A for soccer competition. That would definitely level the playing field, since they have the tremendous advantage to recruit whoever they want.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/17/04 06:10 PM
Emerald beat them last year, and they are in the small town of Greenwood Greenwood also has the 4A school Greenwood HS. I also don't think those private schools should compete in public school leagues, b/c to play for a pubic school you have to be zoned for that school, with some exceptions, such as magnet students and some schools. Private schools can get the best players from around there region or town.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/17/04 06:29 PM
Again I may be just a little biased to the upstate and my Greenville team, but I don't think BE would end upstate dominance that easily. There is to much competition in 3A in the upstate, with Greenville, Eastside, Mann, Danial, Riverside, and a few others depending on the year, that lowerstate is going to have to really step it up.
its already lookin like its gonna be another upstate championship for 3A and its gonna be that way for a while too
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/17/04 11:37 PM
The way i look at it is, private schools will not be stoped from playing in the public school leagues any time soon so the only way to take care of that is to beat them. For instance: Bishop England a major powerhouse in 2A has lost to chapin and emerald in the past 3 years.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/18/04 12:19 AM
Corner Flag- I agree with you on the fact that both teams are solid, but you said that their exception was at the goalkeeper position. I agree with you referring to Eastside, but how can you say that Irmo is weak there? Irmo's goalkeeper, Austin Moody, has committed to play at USC. I don't think that one of the top soccer programs in the nation would put any confidence in a player that was not "solid." Personally, I think that Moody and Gustavson are the top keepers in the state...hands down.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/18/04 01:34 AM
I think he meant that the difference in the teams is the keeper. Eastide dosn't have an extremly strong keeper, and Irmo has an excellent keeper.
Upstate.soccer is correct. Moody is an excellent keeper and Eastisde is lacking in that position.
On paper, Irmo should win 4A and Eastside 3A, but as we all know the games are not played on paper, they're played on the field. Anything can happen in the playoffs, especially in soccer where one red card, PK or breakaway can make the difference in a game.
well obviously irmo is a big choice to win 4A but nobody has anything about Northwestern did they lose too many seniors to compete with irmo this coming up year? And what about lowerstate in 3A is everyone counting them out again? I don't think it's gonna be a cakewalk for upperstate.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/20/04 10:47 PM
4A-Irmo
3A-Dreher...sorry, they're good and I would love to see it
2A-Bishop England...as always, I don't care how small of a school they are but they should be moved up to 4A (joke)
1A-?
Striker--
From what I understand, private schools can simply pay a fee and play in the SCHSL. I even think it is as low as like $2000 or something which BE and Christ Church can easily pay.

Private schools in the SCHSL is a topic that gets rehashed to no end year after year. I think they either need to increase the fee or use something other than attendance to place those schools. Yes, BE has lost the last couple of years but until there is true parody, then they are misplaced. Also, look at what C.C. has done in 1A.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/22/04 04:51 AM
Eastside will win for lowerstate 3A. Greenville will give them a tough time though.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/22/04 05:10 AM
I don't see why everyone has such a problem with private schools competing in the SCHSL? There's tons of South Carolina private schools that compete in SCISA, but the competition in SCISA just isn't up to par so the higher-end (athletically speaking) schools move into the SCHSL to have better competition.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/22/04 05:35 AM
Has anyone ever considered a rule being put in place that would force a private school that plays in public school to multiply their enrollment by a given number in order to compete. There is an obvious advantage for private schools such as BE and CCES in the aquisition of soccer players. This is a soccer forum so stick to that. If a rule got put on the table as a possibility to force these schools to play up one, or even two classes, it would likely have a chance to pass in the league. A reasonable # for multiplication would likey be anywhere from 1.25 to 1.75.
I think that everyone would agree that the level of competition in 2A and 1A is not what CCES and BE could compete at. We need to also consider both boy's and girl's programs. BE girl's program got so much competition in 2A that they made numerous trips to NC and GA to find teams that coupld compete with them. The BE boys rarely lose which is evident by their overall program record, winning percentage and state titles (all of which are in the top 2 or 3).

CCES boys went 11-9-1 last year but all their losses were to 3A or 4A teams and Emerald in PKs. They outscored their opponents 15-1 in the playoffs. The only head scratcher for the BE boys was a 2-1 loss at Pinewood (who was 20-5-1). The BE girls had one of the most dominating seasons in years: 16-1-4 and cruised through the SC teams. They averaged 7 goals against teams from SC. This is "higher" competition you speak of?

Their primary advantage is not that they actively recruit players like a college team, but rather there are very loose attendance area restrictions so they can draw players from a far larger area than a public school their size. And even if they draw from a comperable area in size (which they don't), the population density of where BE and CCES draw from is far greater than say Emerald or Walhalla, for example. I am not saying they need to be in 4A, but I would like to see how they would do a level up from where they are now. BE to 3A and CCES to 2A. They should be placed in a division with schools with comparable attendance areas and comparable budgets.

With all that said, BE has lost to Emerald and Chapin the last two years. But, if you look at overall records and where these schools travel to get games, you cannot use the "competition is better in their current classification than SCISA".
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/22/04 03:16 PM
If you move Christ Church up to 2A in soccer, do you do the same with the other sports at the school or just the ones that have success in their respective sports.
I think it should all be about the nature of the competitiveness of the respective sports. If you have a soccer team that has, out of a 20 game schedule, only 3-4 competitive games, then you should consider a move to a more competitive class. Plus you have to consider if a school's success one year is an anomaly. Because of its extensive recruiting base in comparison to the 2A public schools, BE has successful teams every year and should therefore have to compete in a higher level class throughout the season, such as 3A.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/22/04 03:50 PM
Who is the you? The teams have no say in what class they play. The only way this happens is if soccer pulls itself out of the SCHSL, which obviously will never happen. This has been battered around ad nauseum and really makes soccer followers look very spoiled.

Football followers are not saying to move Byrnes to the Big 16 because of the success they have had.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/24/04 05:49 AM
It has nothing to do with success. It has everything to do with not being a public school, yet playing in the public school league. It is an advantage that other schools do not have. With a ceratin advantage should come a penalty. Would you agree to that Dexter? Or are you going to attempt to prove to me that it isn't an unfaur advantage?

Byrnes' football team can stay in 4A Div.II because they have built an excellent program using players only from a certain region much more limited than that of private schools (which im assuming is unlimited). Let's try to think before we post.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/24/04 01:15 PM
OK, one more time EHS. If Christ Church is moved up in soccer, what happens to them in football where they are woeful. If this is causing you to lose sleep at night, I would suggest you get off this message board and turn your attention to the high school league. Maybe you could get a petition together and send it to Jerome Singleton.

And what is the unfair advantage you are speaking of? What would be the benefit of any quality soccer player going to Christ Church just tp play soccer? Like it or not,students go to Christ Church for the academics not the athletics. Tomek, the most heralded soccer player from Christ Church, attended the school for academics not soccer. Sorry to tell you this but I don't think he was lured to play at Christ Church when he was currently on a national championship club team.

Finally, you must be a very naive defender to think that recruiting does not happen in big time high school athletics, of which soccer is not part of. If you think that athletes don't choose areas to live in due to teams success and potential college scholarships you are really playing the part of the ostrich.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/29/04 11:49 PM
OK, one more time Dexter. Tomek wouldnt be within zoning for Christ Church if it was a 1A public school. And, like many players, he would not attend the school. It's very simple. If they were a public school, which we do consider them in SCHSL soccer, then they wouldn't have the same constraints that the public schools have on who and who does not attend. It's obviously an advantage and has shown in the past decade. If their football team suffered from this advantage then they just would. Maybe they could reach out to football players for their academic excellence and be dominant in that sport too.
Recruiting does not go on in public schools. Do you have an example of that?
AMHS will win 1A.

And the private school issue has been around since my kid played HS soccer.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 11/30/04 05:37 AM
First of all I agree with Dexter. I play for a private school team that competes in 1A and so I know what it's like for the private schools and public schools to compete every week. I like Dexter's point about why exactly these kids go to private schools. Answer this for me EHS...Do you really think that an All-American soccer player like Tomek went to Christ Church to play soccer? No, it's because of the high level of academics that they have there. And trust me Christ Church did not recruite him and offer him scholarship money to go there. I know this because both his mom and dad are doctors at the Anderson Hospital so they're what we would classify as "well off." If he was really looking for competitive soccer...being from Anderson he could've gone and played for Daniel High or being that he's zoned for TL Hanna, he could've played for them.

And if you're from Emerald I don't see why you have such a problem with Christ Church considering ya'll laid the smack-down on them.

Regarding guardrail22....What's up with parents getting on here and posting...get a life!
If i'm not mistaken...didnt BE move to 3a this year?...it doesnt matter to me, mostly b/c they dont win state anymore...but i believe they moved to three A correct?
Posted By: muppet Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/01/04 03:07 AM
If they did they are going to get punished
For Brock Scott, Bishop England is still in Class 2A.
DCA- if it is only about the academics, then what would be the problem with having BE and CCES compete in SCISA since it is only about the academics? Also, Tomek is a tremendous exception. You cannot say that every player who goes to those schools attends solely for the education and does not look at the athletic reputation of those schools. I knew players who left Riverside b/c they knew they would never see any playing time (but would have won two state title) and went to CCES and stepped into the starting line up. I know that was a few years ago, but all athletes who choose to attend BE or CCES are not looking solely at the academics.

Everyone acts like SCISA is the ugly step-sister of the SCHSL. Pinewood beat BE last year, Ben Lippen has a strong program and with SCISA seperating into levels, it mirrors the SCHSL more than ever. It is not like SCISA is a "boot it, boot it, kick it, kick it" kind of league.

My perception from reading posts on this topic for almost three years now, is that players today think that BE and CCES recently joined the SCHSL. BE has been a member of the SCHSL since the late 80s and CCES since the mid-90s (someone correct me if I'm wrong or give the specific year they joined). Both have dominated their respective leagues since joining. If players from public schools feel it is unfair to have to compete against these teams, then you have to get your parents involved to petition the SCHSL. This topic is discussed to sickening levels every year. Either take some real action or drop it. The SCHSL is not going to listen to players only and they are certainly not going to take posts on a web site from players or parents seriously.

It has to be players to get their parents involved and use the democratic process.
After sidetracking this thread with a post on 11/14 I'll come back in for at least one more comment. I mostly follow girls' HS soccer but the specific example of BE's successes (both girls and boys) made me wonder if there was any resentment by the other 2A schools over the success of a private school that has more liberties in it's player selection than the public schools do. From the tone and the number of posts that is the case at least for some. Coach Hamil, who knows 2A soccer, made the point I was trying to make succinctly with the following: "Their primary advantage is not that they actively recruit players like a college team, but rather there are very loose attendance area restrictions so they can draw players from a far larger area than a public school their size." Upscale private schools just simply compete "bigger" than their enrollment numbers suggest, and the SCHSL uses enrollment numbers exclusively to determine level of competition. Dexter's point that the private schools get trounced in certain sports while excelling in others is well taken. For stability's sake keeping the SCHSL's 1-4A rules gives workable schedules within regions. For the sake of fair competition a BE could well be moved up to 3A. BE, 2A, and 3A schools would benefit from this in my opinion.

lpaf
Posted By: Bear Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/01/04 10:43 PM
For the Voice.

At the risk of spinning this totally off the subject, I'm offering the following.
While students may wish to move to a different school for the athletic reasons, ultimately it is a family decision. I say family because I believe the successful education experience is shared between the child and parents. Many factors play into that decision and while athletic reputation helps, if you are in pursuit of the education benefits provided at some of the private schools, it becomes secondary.
Having lived in South Carolina and moved around the country with my job a private education for my family seemed to be the best option. When you are transient by nature, you don't have the time to learn which school districts perform better both academically and athletically.
We recently moved back and were fortunate to find Pinewood Prep. Having lived in South Carolina before, I was familiar with BE and PG, and we compared these schools before making our decision. For us, athletics were a very small piece of the puzzle. I say we were fortunate because the education experience for my son has been tremendous, and he was able to play on a state championship team at a very young age. Something he would not have been able to do if we were part of the SCHSL.
I'm not sure of the dates for BE to be playing in the public sector, but I do believe they were playing football at least, publically in probably the mid 70's. My high school played them in the playoffs before I played football which began in 79.
All of this to say, normally parents/families have many reasons for picking schools, and probably most often, it's not athletics.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/02/04 03:26 AM
for all those talking about how great austin moody is and how hes committed to "play" at usc... he has gotten a full acedimic ride to the school and is being offered a spot to sit on the bench behind Mike Gustavson. But neither will play their freshman year.. Brad is nasty
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/02/04 07:07 PM
I must agree with Dexter. The thought of parents paying that much money per year so their child can play on a championship high school team is absurd. The students are sent to schools such as Christ Church and BE to get a quality education. Tomeck did not get a schoarship from Duke for his participation on the CC team. His club experience got him to where he is. If parents are concerned with their child's participation on premier teams they will probably focus on what club the child is playing at and not what school they attend. Don't you think that if parents were that interested in high school soccer that they would move to Wando's,Irmo's, or Greenville's zoned areas. It would be way more cost efficient than to pay large sums of money to attend a private school (just for soccer)and they would be playing on 3A and 4A championship teams.
There are some problems with the theory of moving private schools up in classification due to their success in soccer. First, are you that egotistical to think that only soccer matters in high school sports? Luckily, the SCHSL does not share the opinion that schools should be catagorized by success in one sport since that sport would probably be football. Then, schools such as BE would be moved DOWN to 1A. Second, the private schools are at an advantage due to the large geographical area which they can draw from so they should be moved up to 3A or 4A. This notion would mean that rural schools should be forced to play in 3A and 4A. Lamar and Timmonsville would be 4A schools????? Irmo would probably be a 2A or 3A school??? You can not set classifications by these factors since density of the populations are not taken into account and would be to difficult to accurately measure the density of school age children in a particular geographical area.. The SCHSL has set aside rules and regulations for ALL schools who compete. CC and BE compete by these rules (of which dictates that enrollment will determine classification and not success in ONE sport).
This forum has always been played out. Every year this topic comes up and a lot of messages get posted and a lot of carpal tunnel evolves. Some people do go to the BE's and CC's for academics and others for sports. You can't tell me that parents (around that area) who have a gifted kid in a particular sport doesn't look at that school as a option for their kid to go to with the hopes (high hopes) in their kid being looked at (because of their recognition) getting a scholarship to a good school and having the best of both worlds in college, which is a sport the kid loves and academics for his future. Yes, I know it's expensive to go to these schools and sounds ludicrous to pay that much money just to play a sport, but if the kid is that good, he will get a pretty decent scholarship which is definitely a advantage!!! I mean come on; Christ Church (besides football) is dominate in every sport guys/gals. You can't tell me that you have a school of about 130 who are solely going to that school for academics when they win every state championship (soccer, basketball, and tennis). I mean, when did academic nerds rule the world of sports (no punt intended)??? You have to agree that there is a advantage and not every kid goes to those schools for just academics. If that was the case then why don't they just stay in their previous high school and be number 1 in their class....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/02/04 09:23 PM
Who accused anyone of going to a school to play a sport? That's not the point. The fact that a school can recieve any student that decides to attend is unfair in public school leagues. The average GPA of the soccer programs at most SC schools is tops, if not at least in the top 3 teams, among their respective athletic programs. Now we should all notice this correlation between academics and soccer in high school. If you have an academically successful school, then your soccer, golf, tennis teams are likely to be strong as well. Dexter i think mentioned the woefullness of private schools' football programs. Football tends to bring one of the lowest GPAs of any sports in SC high schools. CC and BE are prime examples of schools touting excellent athletic programs associated with better grades. Academics would naturally bring players that play sports known to bring the highest GPAs among high schools in SC. With soccer being one of those sports, it thrives at these schools. There's your advantage. If you are a private school, then be exactly that. Why come to public school leagues? Most would say for competition, but you guys can find all the academic competition you want in SCISA, since that is TOP priority for your students.

I don't see CC, BE, Pinewood, BL, and SSCS having any lack of competition amongst one another on the field anyways.
Since BE & CC will never be moved up in higher classification in HSL, the only solution to all this discussion is to move them back to SCISA and let them beat the crap out of the other SCISA schools. Why do CC & BE deserve to have the priviledge to qualify for HSL playoffs? If soccer teams can participate in HSL, then all of a schools' sports teams should have to do the same. They should be treated like all the rest of SCISA schools in all sports. Can any SCISA school decide to participate in HSL? Cardinal Newman, Porter Gaud, Pinewood Prep?
No, no, no, Conswayla B, you're missing the key point about the private schools' advantage here. The geographic areas the key private schools draw from are not to be found in the middle of an expansive and sparsely populated desert. They are all located in or near the three large metropolitan areas of SC, so they draw from a dense population base and can freely attract good players across established school zoning lines. Any public HS coach in the state would welcome this opportunity to have kids from "all over" be able to choose to attend his or her school and play on their team -- this would, in effect, give a model more like club structure. (The possible exception to this could be Wando which might well opt for the advantages of East of the Cooper social purity over the mongrelization of its soccer teams.) I'm not proposing that SCHSL change its classifications, only pointing out that a number of private schools have a clear benefit from their ability to work across the arbitrary lines that school boards impose on the public schools, and that as a result they are able to dominate their leagues in a way that is disproportionate to the size of their student enrollment. Don't you think this is true?

lpaf
I have a solution: Put BE & CC in the Red Neck League. The league could use a little class at times.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/03/04 02:38 AM
Alright, CCES does not dominate every sport other than football, by no means. Boys Soccer and boys Tennis are the only sports that have done this.

If CCES and BE has a advantage because there are not bound to certain areas, then why does the success not hold true in other sports? Also, why does everyone always talk about BE and CCES, what other private school are playing in the HSL? I know SSC does and them seam to be on a similar level as some 1A schools.

The fact is that unfortunatly soccer and tennis usually are sports for those more wealthy. Club soccer, and a tennis club/lessons are very expensive. CCES and BE are both school caonsisting of many wealthy people. This is the only advantage that I can see.
For soccer, the idea of chaning schools for recruiting purposes is insane. Recruiting goes on at the Club level, the USC coach told me one time that about 95% of all his recruiting he has ever done came from club.
Another thing to think about, most 1A soccer programs are new and developing. CCES has had a team for long time. Things may even out after soccer begins to catch on in some of the rural 1A schools. We will jsut have to wait and see
The real advantage that the private school have is they are located near bigger cities where club soccer is offered. Most players at private schools can afford to play club. The rural players can not afford the cost and the travel. I know some clubs offer scholarships to play but the travel is the big problem. Many rural players do not have transportation for all the practices and games. Therefore they do not play soccer year round and it shows during the high school season.
The private schools are only abiding by the rules that the high school league has approved. I think a rule change is needed so coaches can work with their whole team with the ball during the off season. Almost all the soccer players at the rural schools play other sports during the off season due the small number of available players. Allowing the coaches work with the team during the off season would help even the playing field.
I am sure the private schools would appreciate the better competition within their classifications. The athletic directors need to address this with the high school league. They are the only ones who can repair the problem and make high school soccer better. Talk to them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/03/04 04:19 PM
lpaf, the base that BE and CC pull from does have more people but the advantage does not lie with the numbers. If you subtract all the people who can't afford these schools, the number of eligible students is reduced by a significant amount (reflecting the number similar to that of the general population in the rural school districts). Despite this fact, success of high school soccer has little to do with population size. The success of any high school soccer program is directly related to the number of players playing on a QUALITY club team.

The notion that soccer scholarships are awarded to players based on HIGH SCHOOL soccer performance is a naive one. How many players who do not play club get soccer scholarships? FEW if any. Plus, players for BE and CC are not awarded scholarships based on where the team finishes in the playoffs. Colleges do not award scholarships according the the all-tournament team format where 1st place gets 8 scholarships , 2nd place gets 4, etc. so classification in 1A or 2A gives these teams no advantage.

Why should private schools who meet all of the SCHSL requirements not be able to compete? It is the South Carolina High School League not the South Carolina Public High School League. Any schools who meet the SCHSL criteria are eligible to join, some schools choose not to.

lpaf, this entire post is not directed at you. I only pointed you out for the portion answering the question you posed.
Conswayla B --

I agree that the population of families who both want to send their kids to private schools and can afford to is restricted, even in a metropolitan area like Charleston. But they're exactly the right kids to make a successful team -- club trained, bright and affluent. And they're not restricted by the arbitrary zoning of school boards to have to go to a certain school. Don't misunderstand me -- I'm not being critical of a BE or CC, as they just follow the rules of the HSL. My original thought here echos Coach D's -- smaller rural public schools compete with them at a great disadvantage. What could be done about it is another matter, and any change in the way things are currently done would certainly create other inequalities. For soccer, at least, population size does seem to have a huge amount to do with a high school's ability to succeed. How often does a school of any size outside of greater metropolitan Greenville, Columbia, or Charleston win state? You're right that this is related to club structure, but the two go hand in hand. Have a great weekend.

lpaf

ps: You have a very friendly name, I think.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/04/04 12:43 AM
since nobody will give a nod to any 1A teams i will be bold and say that i belive SCS has a really big chance to upset christ church this year look at their roster they did'nt lose very many players at all
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/06/04 03:57 PM
4AAAA - Irmo
3AAA - Socastee
2AA - Bishop England
1A - TBD

4A - Irmo's Seniors are very competitive, and determined to be the best this year. With most of the defense they had last year and the incredible offense led by a number of juniors, look for Irmo to do good this class 4AAAA.
3A - I have had the opportunity of watching many of Socastee's players in the Coastal Soccer Club games. Though Coastal does not have a winning record, it is still made up of very strong players, just not able to play together and finish games. The coach is the head coach for Socastee boy's varsity. Probably the main reason for Coastal being full of Socastee players. Look out for Socastee in late rounds of SC 3AAA playoffs. They will be conditioned and have a bunch of players able to take the leadership role on their teams this year. They could go all the way.
2AA - Bishop England has always had a well understood offense, with their defense somewhat behind. Not totally saying their defense was horrible, just weak spots(mainly left fullbacks). BE is too good to get beat by any other 2AA team, but this is being said for the 3AAA & 4AAAA teams they will go up against this season.
1A - I have not really enjoyed watching 1A soccer for some reason. It is not as exciting as 2A, 3A, & 4A soccer in South Carolina.

Enjoy.
Was Socastee moved down to 3A from 4A?
Chapin and Socastee are members of Class 3A for 2004-2006 and will participate in the Lower State.
Buffalo how can you say that Socastee will win 3A after losing many of their seniors from last year. How can you say that coastal is a good team when they have a losing record?? You said they were strong but they couldn't finish so how are they going to win??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/07/04 02:15 AM
Keeper trouble. And their main stiker is taking it easy.
do yall not understand that the upperstate is going to win the state championships for the next four years at least...so dont even argue about it
for 3A sorry
BOYS
4A - Wando
3A - Eastside (if players are playing)
2A - Bishop England
1A - Academic Magnet

GIRLS
4A - West Ashley
3A - Riverside
2A/1A - Bishop England
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/08/04 07:49 PM
i find it funny that for the last four years in the fall semester, everyone argues who will win state. does it really matter at this point? shouldn't the concentration be put on the weight training, running, and getting some touches on the ball everyday. Playoffs and State shouldn't be a topic for arguement until you have seen teams play. just a thought.....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/08/04 08:31 PM
i find it interesting that every year in the preseason no one seems to mention Wando with few exceptions, but somehow they always put themselves in contention as the season goes on. what does everyone think about their chances this year???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/09/04 01:46 AM
Their chances once again are very strong to compete for a Lowerstate championship. I feel that one of the main reasons for their great record over the years, however, is their weak region. This year, I see them having a very good regular season record, but I do not see them making it through the Lowerstate Championship. Irmo just seems to be too strong, and Hilton Head should be competitive once again. I'm sticking with my previous predictions for AAAA, AAA, and AA: Irmo, Eastside, and Bishop England
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/09/04 02:40 AM
socastee wont win 3a
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/09/04 03:07 AM
has socastee moved down to 3A in all other sports or just soccer
The S.C. High School League realigns its' members every two years and Socastee moved from Class 4A to Class 3A in all sports for 2004-2006.
Posted By: BDad11 Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/09/04 02:44 PM
I truly believe Irmo and Wando will meet in the Lower state finals and this will be a meeting of the top 2 teams in the state.The winner should handle the upper state representative.
In 4A they get to the playoffs by seeding and the seeding is determined on a points system. They get more points for playing a 4A team with a losing record than playing a 1 or 2A team with a winning record. Therefore most 4A teams will not play a 1A during the regular season. It could make a difference in having a home game or away game the first round in the playoffs.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/10/04 04:32 PM
Coach D, Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is the old way of seeding teams for state playoffs. (but I heard rumors that some regions had a different format for determining how to determine seedings within their region)
In our region, last year it was done on region records. (with only games within our region counting) The top 4 got births in state tourney and were ranked 1,2,3 and 4 within their region. The teams were then placed in the bracket accordingly. This bracket was posted on SCHSL website months in advance of playoffs. I believe you could have won your aaaa region and lost all your other games and still had home field advantage the first two rounds. The first round was a #1 v a #4 and second round pitted winner of that against a #2 v #3 winner. Assuming all #1 were left after two rounds, the bracket indicated which one got the home field (regardless of W/L records or points).
Not sure if they are doing differently this year or not. Perhaps a coach would know.
There is NO points system in Class 4A anymore. That was done away with last year (maybe even the year before). Class 3A has been "pre-bracketed" for several years now.

The reason is that each year the region winner of a paticular region will be placed at the top of the bracket. Last year it was Region 1 in the Upper State (Mauldin) and Region 5 in the Lower State (Irmo).

Whenever two teams that finished in the same place in their region, i.e., #1 vs. #1 or #2 v #2, the team sitting in higher position in the bracket plays at home.

This is last year's Class 4A boys bracket -- 2004 Playoffs.
My bad guys.
Posted By: Wayne Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/10/04 06:00 PM
A point system is still used as part of the tie-breaker for final standings in region 5. For example, if two teams are tied at first place and split during the season, they are declared region co-champions. But, a "unit" (read point) system is used to determine the higher seed for the playoffs.
^
i.e. West Florence and Wilson last year.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/10/04 09:18 PM
Socastee?? Do they have anyone?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/10/04 09:51 PM
I saw the post for playoffs about 4A and 3A, but how does it work for 2A and 1A. Is it a point system or is it how you're ranked in your region? Do your non region games count against you?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/10/04 09:59 PM
i think it counts on your record...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/10/04 10:28 PM
Socastee?? Do they have anyone?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/14/04 11:53 PM
They have a (senior) blonde kid up top, who is deadly with his head, and good with his feet and super fast. Midfield they have 2 main seniors that know what they are doing and are both strong at scoring goals Joe & Jason. Defensively they may struggle the first few games, but once they get it together with Bronko or Brunko in the back they should do fine There are a few other key defenders that can paralyze an offense.
Where the Socastee boys play club ball?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/15/04 03:22 AM
hopefully we can win a playoff game and get past the first round. something we havent been able to do in the past like 8 years. We have 8 returning starting seniors and our team is composed of all seniors except for ab 2 juniors and 3 sophomores. 1 of the juniors and 2 of the sophomores should start probably. guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/15/04 07:06 PM
4A-Irmo
3A-Chapin
2A-BishopEngland
1A-Blackville-Hilda(i hope)
i agree with irmo for AAAA but i dont see chapin even getting to the state championship with powerhouses of the upstate and i dont know enought about 2A and 1A to say anything
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/17/04 04:06 PM
HeHateMe, please, be reasonable with your picks. Blackville-Hilda ending up ahead of Christ Church, Academic Magnet, Southside Christian, and Buford at the end of the year. Not likely, but good luck anyways.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/17/04 09:14 PM
Socastee kids play club ball at Coastal Soccer Club
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/17/04 11:07 PM
BuffaloBob who do you play for?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 12/28/04 04:35 PM
Chapin's going to get to the final four because of coach hiller. they don't have a good goalie. they are going to be starting a freshman and he's nothing special.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/05/05 11:53 PM
for 1A state championship i'm gonna say Academic Magnet wins it with out too much trouble
BuffaloBob doesnt play for anyone if i am correct.I do believe last year he showed STRONG support for Myrtle Beach and must be from the coastal area cause he sure does like those teams.
no chapin will not get to the final four b/c they aer not good
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/07/05 02:11 AM
tru
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/10/05 07:32 PM
4A - Wando
3A - Socastee
2A - BE
1A - Christ Church

That's my story and im stickin with it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/10/05 07:33 PM
without a doubt...whoever wins the lower state 4A championship will be this year's state champion.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/10/05 10:25 PM
AAAA- Irmo
AAA- Eastside
AA- Bishop England
A- Christ Church
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/11/05 03:51 PM
elcid, you do not have a clue about South Carolina soccer. This years State Championship will be from upperstate. Upperstate is so much better than lowerstate it is unreal. Upperstate should have it's own league. Champion this year in both 3AAA and 4AAAA will be from the Upperstate.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/11/05 08:18 PM
BB, are you sure Irmo got moved back to upper state??
Posted By: bruin Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/11/05 09:05 PM
Eastside seems to be getting alot of promotion for the top 3A team. Can anyone give me a breakdown on what club teams their sophmores, juniors and seniors play for?
The upstate translation for Eastside is CESA.

Most of their players are on the U17 and 18 Premier teams. Some on challenge.
yep - the marriage of St Giles and the club from down around Simpsonville. Carolina Elite Soccer Academy.

1A - I'll take Academic Magnet
2A - Bishop England (the NY Yankees of soccer) will loose to Chapin again
3A - maybe Eastisde, Maybe Mann
4A - hmm - no one like Dorman after their rebuilding last year?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/12/05 03:56 AM
My picks for this year are:

1A- Christ Church (but I hope Academic Magnet can prove me wrong)!
2A- Chapin
3A- Daniel
4A- Irmo
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/12/05 09:20 PM
chapin is 3A guys
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/13/05 02:14 AM
Some of the guys that will probably be on the team .
Seniors
Huffsettler U18P Center Mid D1 Player
Davies " Outside mid Speed
Boyd Great Player Knee problems
Hunter Gk for SG Fusion
Dobson U18C
Hunt U17 P center M
Simmoms Striker/ Mid U17P Region POY
Juniors
CESA U17 P
Ruck Striker 6'3" D1
Harkins Defender D1
Harmon Sweeper Football
Gillard Mid Football
King Outside Defender
Lortz Outside Defender

Edwin R. SG fusion Striker Allstate
Tolbert U17C

Those are some of the sr/jr that I know that will probably play . Hope I did not leave anyone out.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/14/05 01:22 AM
BB, if you're so confident that the upperstate will win state then who are your picks???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/14/05 01:23 AM
BB, if you're so confident that the upperstate will win state then who are your picks???
AAAA- IRMO FOR SURE
AAA-EASTSIDE ON PAPER
AA-IM GUESSING BE
A- NO ONE REALLY CARES BUT CHRIST CHURCH
AAAA- Irmo
AAA- JL Mann/Eastside
AA- Chapin
A- Academic Magnet
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/17/05 07:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TrueRaider17:
AAAA- IRMO FOR SURE
AAA-EASTSIDE ON PAPER
AA-IM GUESSING BE
A- NO ONE REALLY CARES BUT CHRIST CHURCH

Ben Lippen may be a small school but watch out big schools these guys are going to beat some of you.
I dont think that irmos senior class is really that impressive
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/18/05 11:17 PM
A senior class with thirteen players, all of which have at least one state championship is "not impressive?" Interesting...Spencer Lewis and Austin Moody are both committed to play at USC. Very few high school teams have one D-1 player in a class, let alone two. Chris McCartney, I believe, has also gotten several looks by D-1 coaches, and so has Sani Hadziahmetovic! Then, match that talent with a solid group of backs (Bradley Morgan, Brenton Everett, Tim Clifton) and countless other assets IN ONE CLASS, and I think that you have a very good chance of a 3-peat. Oh, yea...don't forget about their three amazing juniors: Zach Prince, Christian Monroe, and Alex Acree. And I almost forgot another key factor, Coach Savitz. He could take a team with half this much talent and compete for a state championship. I think that Irmo has the best chance to win the AAAA State Championship, hands down.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/19/05 03:06 AM
4A- mauldin
3A- eastside
2A- Bishop England
1A- Academic Magnet

what happens next year to irmo...13 seniors gone and everyone mentions only 3 juniors that stand out...
Mauldin winning 4A....give me a break! Mauldin went like 11-13 last year, and were not impressive at all to say the least. Not to compare them to us (SCS) saying we're better or anything, bc you are a 4A school, and do play better, but just for example purposes...the only team that we played that Mauldin also played was Walhalla, and SCS beat them worse than Mauldin did....I mean, that might not say much, but to pick THAT team to win a 4A State Championship against a team like Irmo...ya gotta be dreamin pal.
If you really wanna see a talented senior class look at South Aiken
Austin Moody committed to play soccer for USC? To bad the kid made great on the SAT and got academic money. He is gettin ZERO soccer money, Berson told him that he could play b/c he doesn't have to worry about giving him any money...Their number one goalie signed with an agent so wouldn't it seem as if he would go there and start? Oh wait... you have Mike Gustavson coming in from SA on a soccer scholarship...Moody have fun watching Mike play for the next 4 years! If the midget in the midfeild steps on the feild in the next four years at usc i will be very dissappointed in Mark Berson...Good luck to both Irmo's D-1 prospects but the when reality hits, doesn't look to bright, Phil is a great coach tho...I'll give that to him, he'll take crap and compete with it!
I pray for someone to win besides Irmo.
On one hand, it's very obvious that Mavssoccer is biased towards his team and is making a very ludicrous looking pick in Mauldin. On the other hand, outside of Irmo, there really is no clear cut preseason favorite, especially in the upper state. So I'm not sure that Mauldin is really any worse than any other non-Irmo pick, even though I'd never take that bet.

BTW Ali, last year was last year. Don't make predictions this year based solely upon records from last year.
Maybe this is a topic for another time, but with regards to pappy's comments, there really isn't much soccer scholarship money out there. Coaches will do as much as possible to get the money from an acedemic scholarship for a particular player because they are very limited in their scholarships. The best thing for a high school player to do is hit the books and score high on the SAT because they will have a better overall chance of getting money for school.

Also remember that for as much as we sit here and love soccer and would love to see todays players hit the big time in college or even pro soccer, 99% plus of the soccer players won't go past college, therefore a college education will take them much further in life (financially) than soccer will.
Not that pappy is negative against Irmo or anything...wow. It's people like him that you just get a good laugh out of. For as "good" of a senior class that SA has, what do they have to show for it? You can have a great class of players, that don't play as a team, and end up losing a lot of games. It's called selfish play, thats what we may have going on there......how else do you explain the "great" player of SA not having anything to show for their superior talent?
SA = douche squad
I'm not making any assumptions solely upon last year, but at this point with the season about to kick off, that is probably the main thing to go off of when making assumptions about a team for the next year. He is biased to his team, but I mean just think about Mauldin soccer...maybe it will be different this year, and it very well could be, but from their record in the recent past, its not likely...that's all I'm sayin
SA has the most talented senior class this year...whether the play as a team or not is a different story. As you can see I posted they have the most talented senior class. Soccerboy, if you still think Moody is god or something i have a few words for you.
AIKEN GAME BUDDY!

4-2 with AHS scoring an own goal...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/19/05 10:22 PM
Aside to SA and Eastside are close with senoirs. U18 Cesa and U17 Cesa state champs are starting for Eastside(6 or 7). The rest juniors for the Cesa 17's. This is why they are favorites but just need to put it together this year.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/20/05 01:56 AM
no one has said a thing about JL Mann being even a contender even tho we have 8 returning seniors and 10 starters returning. i think state will come down to three teams greenville, eastside, or jl mann. sorry lowerstate but you just can't hang with upperstate and you never have been able to.
I do not play for AHS I was in the stands and I witnessed a murder. As for state semi's CSC couldn't beat Aiken Fire ever again, they had to get players from USC to play for them...Gus is the best goalie in the country for our age group. If you did a little research before you talk about Gus you would know that he played in the state cup with MONO...you play with money and make the saves he made then come talk to me! I played n the state cup semi's and lost to csc for the first time in my life! One of the goals was cleared from midfeild aimed at the corner flag and the USC kid miss hit it curving it towards the goal. He admitted it to me standing on the feild! Sorry Aiken Fire has won state for the past 3 years and finished secondin the national finals. When CSC accomplishs half the stuff AK did come back and talk to me...
excuse me AF*
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/20/05 04:25 AM
CESA won state, plain and simple. CSC got pretty much dominated in the final, but CESA just couldn't seem to finish. Don't get me wrong, CSC had some of the play, but from my point of view CESA had the better chances and more of the ball. I'm sure CESA wouldn't have cared if they had to play Aiken, in fact I think they would have preffered to play Aiken. No worries, I'm sure they won't mind sending both of your teams a postcard from Dallas.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/20/05 10:48 AM
Ray (the ONLY USC player on the CSC roster) played great, but CSC earned their win over AF with a team effort. In fact, Moody came up big a few times in the game. No excuses, the better team won on that day. When AHS wins one state title, come back and talk about them...
pappy, where in my last post did I declare Moody is God? I fail to see where I wrote that. As for the loss to Aiken last year, I remember that you said SA had the best senior class and not Aiken. Irmo had a bad game, oh well, it happens to every team. And as for the AF, I have talked to quite a few people and they freely admit that much of the talent came from the players that came in from Atl and other areas. Not saying that the players aren't good from Aiken area......they are good players. And while I am on the subject, its good to see the new coach at Aiken got the Aiken team a full schedule this year, maybe it will prepare them a bit better for the playoffs this year, with the exception of being in a weak region! No fault of their own.
Weak region? Lexington, South Aiken, Aiken, North Augusta and WK disregard WK but whe have a very good region. Irmo needs to get out of their sorry region and go to atleast a somewhat hard region. The best club team in SC is the Aiken Fire. Lik eyou said they had a bad game, happens to all of us. The better team did not win that saturday and for manutd7 AF tied CESA with 10 players and one of our players was wearing tennis shoes. Good luck in Dallas it's about time yall advanced. Have yall recieved our post cards from the past 3 years?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/21/05 02:11 PM
What region Irmo is in doesnt make a difference...they are the best team in the state...its impossible to find a hole in their team all the way from coaching to their starters to their bench. They will run through 4A again...they might have lost a couple games last year and they might lose a couple this year...but unlike some teams (cough)...they show up in the playoffs when it counts. 2 state titles in a row proves it. Picks: 4A- Irmo, 3A- Lowerstate, 2A-BE, 1A- hopefully someone will win. (CC)
As far as 4A goes... regions 4 and 5 are pretty clearly the best overall(though 8 could probably make a decent argument) but..the point is.. 4 and 5 are pretty even.. HOWEVER Irmo still has the titles.. as someone who supports neither school.. it's hard to listen to all this talk about Aiken Fire and Irmo's upset loss to AHS..when the topic is predictions for HS state champions...and Irmo has what 17..18 championships?
Irmo in a weak region? They have Spring Valley, Ridge View, and Dutch Fork in their region. They ended last year ranked in 1st, 4th, 10th and 13th in the state. They are now ranked...even though it is preseason...1st, 7th, 9th and 12th. If that is a weak region, what would you consider a strong region? God help the team that has to play the 4th seed out of that region in the playoffs. It won't be an easy win. Here are my picks for state champions:

4A: Irmo
3A: Riverside
2A: Emerald
1A: CC
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/22/05 05:05 AM
Soccerboy: riverside has no chance this year for state they have a few strong seniors such as Joey Cerone, Davis Bradley, and Chris Harrison but they don't have the offensive strength to play with eastside, greenville, or jl mann one of these 3 teams will win 3A
Had to go with an underdog.....we shall see what happens as the year progresses.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/22/05 04:43 AM
I see where your goin with that but eastside is stacked with multiple D1 players and Mann is mostly seniors as well i don't really know much about gville's team but they won't be near as strong this year so i pick eastside although i'm hoping we can pull it off this year
Ridge view isnt in their region good try though but i will say that is still a tough region.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/22/05 05:29 AM
What players from around the state are gettin soccer scholarships to D-1 schools. I know the main few like spencer and dave newton. What about Huff and Dane and Tyler from g-ville and some of the aiken fire boys...anyone know where all of them are goin? I heard Fire had all but 1 or 2 into d-1 schools. Just like some information about SC players b/c we have a bad A class graduating this year and would like to keep up with the home state guys
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/22/05 10:16 PM
Pappy- Due to the realignment, Ridge View is in Irmo's region. The new Region V-AAAA includes: Irmo, Spring Valley, Ridge View, Dutch Fork, RNE, and LR.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/23/05 04:57 PM
defender-17. If you don't think the tyler haladay kid is a whole in their team you aren't a very smart guy. seriously... you have to be crazy to think their bench is strong. He never subs for any of his starters, in a high school game phil might sub 2 people...they have holes in their squad and aiken expoxed them last year.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/23/05 07:44 PM
like i said...they might lose a couple games...but they dont choke...and as far as their bench goes i was trying to make an overall point about how good their team is...im glad you found a weak player on their bench...but like you said...they only sub maybe 2 people a game...so i guess it doesnt make much of a difference at all.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/24/05 12:55 AM
you said it pal...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/24/05 01:59 AM
soccer boy if you're gonna pick an underdog why not pick a lower state team like myrtle beach or any of the region v schools (Dreher, BC, Chapin)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/25/05 06:29 PM
3A - Daniel
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/27/05 10:16 PM
sorry but daniel doesn't really have a chance against gville, eastside, or mann their talent is gone when the twins left
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 01/31/05 06:23 PM
Daniel does have a decent shot with the talent that is there this year. The two Fuzys weren't the entire team, and I think that D-Dub is going to surprise some people this year who think that all of the power in 3A lies in Greenville. We'll see how a couple of the early season matchups involving Daniel and Riverside, Eastside, and Greenville. Unfortunately, they don't have a chance to beat up on Mann during the season, but maybe they'll get the opportunity in the playoffs.

Good luck with the goal count; I hope you make it to double digits. You'll need some luck...
Posted By: muppet Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/01/05 01:22 AM
Daniel has a couple of good players that are sophmores and juniors but they will need more than that to compete with greenville, eastside, mann, and riverside
i konw one of the coachs at daniel and i know the players that go there and i know they will not be good....they have one good player that plays on my club team but thats it
The two Fuzy's might not have been the entire team, but they were a good part of it. Losing them will most likely make it very hard to compete with the Greenville area teams.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/01/05 07:55 PM
dwfan11: theres no way daniel will beat up on mann the only chances they got against us in both games last year were because of the fuzy's we still have all of our game makers so we'll see i can't wait to hammer daniel post season
quote:
Originally posted by cesastinks:
Chapin's going to get to the final four because of coach hiller. they don't have a good goalie. they are going to be starting a freshman and he's nothing special.

Chapin's freshman keeper gets the job done. He is aggressive and you should not underestimate him.
I think you just said the same thing. NOTHING SPECIAL
Chapin has a lot of very talented seniors returning this year. There is a lot of talent on the pitch for chapin. For those you doubt us dont underestimate the line up for chapin.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/08/05 10:11 PM
My pick would go to Wando for 4A.

Overall great team with Key Players. Dont know too much about this years keeper.
I never doubt Chapin, but to move into a region with Dreher, B-C, and Airport means a lot more competition. Who are the better seniors at Chapin?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/09/05 04:00 AM
chapins schedule has always been one of the toughest in the state...its nothing new for them to play hard opponents game after game
quote:
Originally posted by defender-17:
chapins schedule has always been one of the toughest in the state...its nothing new for them to play hard opponents game after game

DITTO

..I really think the region is Chapin's to win.. if they don't i'll be surprised and disappointed.

Also, the Dreher/Chapin matches with NMB and BC/Chapin matches with Ridge View should be a good early indicator as to where things stand..
Thanks for the support L-E Dude I hope we take it all. The work rate has deffinetly been there as well as the effort. And I agree Chapin does have some good returning seniors.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/09/05 02:46 PM
while i agree...dont jump the gun on BC and Dreher...they are both very good teams who dont want to let a new team come in and take the region
Yeah.. I never said it wouldn't be a battle between the three. I just think Chapin should come out ontop.
4A- Wando
3A- Socastee
2A- BE
1A- Magnet
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/09/05 09:45 PM
AAAA-South Aiken
AAA-Chapin
AA-BE
A-??
Chapin is very strong this year and have a lot of potential to go far. The region is tough but i think we can handle it. With the talent we have, i think we have a good chance of getting deep into the playoffs and hopefully a ring.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/10/05 01:14 AM
dont you all think its still too early to truly think how far a team will make it and what not? at first chapin was supposed to win again last year, then they werent, then they were. and they ended up losing to pendleton...anything can go...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/10/05 01:19 AM
yea...your right...but discussing these things such as match ups...playoffs...regions is a way to let off some anticipation for the season and playoffs...anything could happen
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/10/05 03:03 AM
AAAA- Irmo
AAA- Eastside
AA- Bishop England
A- Christ Church
Posted By: muppet Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/10/05 03:05 AM
neither socastee or chapin will win the 3A state championship... that is a fact... it will be the team that wins the upstate like always
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/10/05 03:07 AM
Why are u so sure about that..u might be underestimating the lower state teams.
Posted By: muppet Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/10/05 03:10 AM
maybe guess we will find out
all the talent for AAA is in the upstate....just look at eastside and it says it in its self
Whereas the vast majority of people are picking Irmo for the 4A championship because of the talent on the team, the same thing can be said about Eastside in 3A. Odds are strong that Irmo takes 4A, and Eastside takes 3A. Everyone else is an underdog.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/10/05 04:21 PM
Im Going Orangeburg Wilkinson all the way 2-0 against Irmo in 4A finals [Smile]
Why not Orangeburg Wilkinson over RNE 2-1 in OT?
Posted By: bruin Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/10/05 08:45 PM
Eastside plays Dreher next Friday in the Lake Murray Tournament. The concensus is that Eastside is the best team in the upper state and the likely state champion in 3A. Dreher is picked to be one of the best lower state 3A teams. Should be an interesting game and a good indicator if these two teams are as good as people think.
problem is eastside is going to be missing most of their players to a club tournment i believe so we wont see the real eastside team until the season starts
You will not be able to truly judge the Eastisde team from the Lake Murray tournament. TR17 is correct. They will not have alot of their top players playing in that tournament.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/11/05 04:58 PM
Whos RNE?
Richland North East
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 03:14 AM
Bamberg Ehrhardt will take the 1A title
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 01:03 PM
haha,Bamberg taking the 1A title is like saying Williston-Elko could beat Irmo. Not that they don't have a decent team and everything but i seriously doubt that they can compete in the post season with such teams as CC,AM,BHHS, and Governor's School.
yeah..it's kinda like putting Blackville and Gov't School in the same sentence as Christ Church and AM.. ...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 04:57 PM
like Lugoff-Elgin is any better than those two..Lugoff-Elgin use to be competive what happenes? but Bamberg C'Mon, that is stretching it. Academic Magnet and Christ Chuch will play in the championship unless Buford suprises A-M
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/15/05 05:00 AM
Usually this would be the part where I start talking trash but I'm going to be the bigger man. I will let my actions on the field speak for me. All I will say is that both BHHS and GS should have a good year this year.
..funny you should bring that up.. I recall beating BH 11-0 at the White Knoll tournament my sophomore year..and splitting matches with Gov't School my freshmen and sophomore year(when we were trying to build a program).

My intention wasn't to talk smack about BH or Gov't School..I just think it's funny that this kid from Blackville is trying to talk trash about some school (that probably has similar issues with budget and interest at the school)..and then try to put his school in the same sentence as Christ Church(who handled them thoroughly a few years ago..and everyone else in 1A for that matter)..that's outrageous..

quote:
Originally posted by intestinalfortatude:
Usually this would be the part where I start talking trash but I'm going to be the bigger man. I will let my actions on the field speak for me. All I will say is that both BHHS and GS should have a good year this year.

..that would probably be best.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/15/05 05:52 AM
If you would have read my post correctly you would have seen that I wasn't talking trash about Bamberg. I said that they had a decent team but that they couldn't compete with the better teams in the playoffs. Yes, CC was a better team that year but almost our entire team that year were Freshmen and now we are all seniors. If we could hold CC to 4-1 our freshmen year then as seniors we should be able to contend with them. Also, GS has a quality team to lose the number of players that they do every year so I have respect for them and yes I do put GS and BHHS in the same sentence with CC and AM. If there is something wrong with that then that is your opinion. You are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine so how about from now on comprehend what you read first and then you can say whatever you want.
You sir, are a true scholar!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 06:25 PM
hey fortatude dont you find it a little odd how we (dixie) beat you guys that year then we lost to SCS 7-0 in the playoffs then CC beat them like 4 or 5-0 then you the score at state was 4-1 something doesnt add up about that.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 06:35 PM
Intestinal, the only standout freshman Blackville had that in 2002 was McCallister. If you would have played CC in 03 or 04 with the same squad as 2002, or your "freshman year", than you would have been killed. CC got more athletic and even better. As for LE and Blackville...last year, I would have given to LE by 1 or 2 goals due to Lugoff's so-so year.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 06:45 PM
I am glad you see it my way. Thank you.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 06:47 PM
Well no Goob I don't find it that wierd but that is only because we scored off of a PK. Other than that yes i would have found it wierd.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 06:57 PM
chelsea, I really don't care about L-E because we will never face them. I have nothing against the school or L-E Dude but they aren't any concern to me. Then you say that McAlister was the only stand out. Well, yes our keeper is very good but he wasn't the only stand out. We had a great sweeper. Not to mention the striker and midfielder that we had. You said that CC got better and I agree with that but we weren't just sitting home eating cheetos. We got better as well and we continue to get better. Again I am not talking trash I am just giving my opinion.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 07:03 PM
I agree LE DUDE no 1A school should talk about any other 1A school or 2A school for that matter..i am sure i played against you when i played at AJ. anyways see i am no the only person from the area that is in clemson.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 08:59 PM
i think eastside could beat anyteam in the state
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 09:23 PM
intestinal, I said McCallister was the only FRESHMAN standout. I know at the time, the sophomores Lucas and Brence, and the Senior Dominico were good also, but other than that, you didn't have any standouts. If you did have such great players, then you wouldn't have lost to Indian Land 10-0 in 2003, and you wouldn't have lost to GSSM in 2004.

Gdubyajr, what year did you play at AJ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 09:45 PM
Governor's School was a quality team last year. As for Indian Land, well there aren't any excuses for that but we had a coach that had never played or coached soccer before in his life. Plus, D-MAC, Brence, Lucas, and Philip were hurt so that really killed us. GS won because it went into the last overtime and they scored with no time left on the clock off of a cross and our newbie defender forgot to cover backside. Thats all it was. Other than that we were even teams.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 10:05 PM
I agree, GSSM was a quality team last year. However, they got shafted out of a 2nd seed, and you still couldn't hold down home field advantage. If you would have played in Hartsville, I don't think that the two would be "even" teams. They would have beat you by 2 goals. Plus, your "rookie" coach was already looking to the next game...he was scouting Buford before you even played GSSM.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/14/05 11:05 PM
Tell me something please Chelsea. How is it that you acquire all of this information on our team and former coach? Are you some sort of high school scout or spy or do you just make this stuff up? And as for the GSSM beating us by 2 if we played on their field, well thats your opinion but I believe the outcome would have been the same. It really doesn't matter because it was last year but thats my opinion on it.
quote:
Originally posted by Gdubyajr:
I agree LE DUDE no 1A school should talk about any other 1A school or 2A school for that matter..i am sure i played against you when i played at AJ. anyways see i am no the only person from the area that is in clemson.

Oh yeah man.. I know there are at least two guys from AJ in my dorm that I recognize (infact one..Chris..lives next door)..and I've seen another guy from AJ around..but i'm not sure where he lives..
Lowerstate,

Eastside's starting lineup is essentially Premier team players. They have backups that are good challenge players. They should be able to beat anybody. The big question is can they do it when it counts? In May.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/15/05 01:02 AM
I have one question. Why is it that everyone thinks the upstate is so dominant. Yes, they have won the past god knows how many years, but the lowerstate teams have been getting better. Wasn't the score last year 3-2 in a close game between MB and Greenville? Is it not possible that the lowerstate could come out on top. They do have some quality team. Its too early in the season to tell, but they do have a legitimate shot
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/15/05 01:15 AM
I agree with you jack in the box and some midstate teams are good too :/
Jack,

The reason is that everyone thinks that the upstate is so dominant is because not only have they won the past several championships, but they also have several teams who could do it. If look at this board alot, then you will see that everyone and their mother thinks that Irmo is going to win 4A. Why? Because they field a really good team every year and they get the job done. Their championship games have been close as well, but they find a way to pull it out. Irmo has proven itself and so has the upstate. Could another team win it? Absolutely. It's only one game. But it's really hard to question why everyone thinks that the upstate is going to win when they do just that. Year after year.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/15/05 01:35 AM
Well said, CornerFlag. But look at what you just said. It's only one game. That means as good as your team may be all season long, if you have one bad game, that's it. This isn't the World Series, or the NBA Finals. If you mess up in your first try here, that's it. Wait until next year, my friend. Any team that gets to the game has a chance, and most of the time the better team wins. But, most of the time isn't all of the time.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/15/05 01:37 AM
Don't think I'm not agreeing with you though.
Rich,

The one game thing you discuss is why Eastside is not the state champion. No room for error in the playoffs. As you say, this is not baseball...
quote:
Originally posted by gamecockrich10:
Well said, CornerFlag. But look at what you just said. It's only one game. That means as good as your team may be all season long, if you have one bad game, that's it. This isn't the World Series, or the NBA Finals. If you mess up in your first try here, that's it. Wait until next year, my friend. Any team that gets to the game has a chance, and most of the time the better team wins. But, most of the time isn't all of the time.

This is exactly why I've almost given up hope in the Lowerstate. I'd like nothing more than to see BC or MB or Dreher or SOMEONE from the Lowerstate win finally..but after seeing BC get smashed 6-0..and then the tragedy that was MB's loss to Daniel..and then last year..etc etc.. it's had keep the faith that these Lowerstate schools (that play very well during the regular season) will pull it out in the end. We'll see..
We'll get an early look an a Lowerstate team against an Upperstate 3A team when BC and Eastside meet in a match on Saturday March, 5. Maybe it will be a hint as to who will be in the State Championship Matchup.
I honestly wish them(BC) the best.. if they can even hang close with Eastside I would think it would bode well for the Lowerstate for the next two years.. (this match will essentially be quite a few CESA players vs BC's sophomores no?)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/15/05 10:11 PM
I saw Wando High School play Porter Gaud a few days ago and was extremely impressed with Wando. They controlled the ball very well and it seemed to me they had a very deep bench. Another thing that impressed me was the way in which they worked as a team, there did not seem to be any "big heads." I look forward to watching them grow, as I think they might do fairly well this year.
greenville also plays socastee friday so that will be a good matchup to hear about
No L-E dude it wont be CESA vs Sophmores. BC has juniors that are stepping up to the plate this year. There preseason schedule ended tonight with a 3-2 win over Dutch Fork. Their record in the preseason was 3-0-1 with wins over DF,LE, and RV and a strong performance ending in a draw at Spring Valley. Yes preseason does not count on the record but it does give an accurate portrayal of the team. So it looks like that match should be a good one.
In preseason, most coaches play their starters in the first half and then start to sub them out in the second. The first half of the preseason games is usually a good indicator of how good the team is.
My bad..the years are slurring together.. I thought that huge class they have are sophomores..my mistake. Anyway..yeah..these are just scrimmages..but I have to say the results are pretty impressive. Like I said..I wish them the best..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/23/05 11:48 PM
DID YOU SEE THE WANDO..J.I. GAME?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2005 Championship Picks 1A,2A, 3A, and 4A - 02/24/05 12:10 AM
hey, how bout your picks for scisa...if anyone knows the teams in scisa. they are small schools like Beufort, Pinewood Prep, Ben Lippen (who isn't that small), and more. Last year Pinewood won 8-1 over Ben Lippen. about 7/11 of the starters for Pinewood were seniors, so they are small this year, but still strong, i'd bet on pps for state this year again.
at the tourne at Patriots point PPS played allright...well, bad:

Wando 2:1 Pinewood
Socastee 4:0 Pinewood
Greenville 4:0 Pinewood
Porter Gaud 1:2 Pinewood

well, we beat porter, the only team in our division thats in scisa. and their out arch rivals, so that makes all the other losses allright. wish us luck on the season, ttyl
© SC Soccer