SC Soccer
Posted By: Dain Bramage SCISA final - 05/12/05 10:39 AM
Awright upstate SCISA - give it up...what's the word on Heathwood. What or who does PW need to watch? Obviously they are playing pretty good soccer right now.
Posted By: zidane10 Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 11:45 AM
PW does not need to worry much about Heathwood. Heathwood is a mediocre team with some speed up top. They play a lot of kick ball so put the ball down and pass it around. PW will have a huge advantage at the Porter Gaud field because it is pretty big. Heathwood does well on a small field but on a big field against a good team you can spread them out.

The scoreline for the finals : Pinewood will win by at least 3 goals.
Posted By: BDad11 Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 12:17 PM
Dain, in a one game scenario it would be foolish to take Heathwood lightly. They have good athletes and come from an athletic program where they know how to win. You can't discount being able to play big in big games as evidenced by the Cardinal Newman game. When HH was fresh early, they were creating chances against CN's defense and were probably unlucky not to have a goal or two earlier. However,CN wore them down and were much fresher at the end of the game.Kevin Graves is a good coach, so don't any mistakes on his part. It will take a very good effort by Pinewood to defeat these guys.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 12:38 PM
BDad11:

I beg to differ with your opinion of Kevin Graves. His behavior last night at the Cardinal Newman game was inexcusable!! He was warned several times by the center referree about language and coming on to the field during the game. At one point, he kicked a ball out far into the woods because he disagreed with an offsides call. He does not set a good example for his players at Heathwood Hall, especially in a Christian school setting. It was very disappointing. Thank God this is his last season at HH!! (And I won't even mention the behavior of the HH fans--disgusting!!)

On the opposite end of the spectrum, CN's Coach Boulware is a class act!! He did not throw tantrums like Graves did and concentrated on the players and the game, not the officiating and making a spectacle of himself. This was Coach Boulware's first season at CN and I hope he is there for a long time!

On another note, the game last night between CN and HH was a nail-biter! The lead switched back and forth until it was 4-4 at the end of two overtime periods. With no score in sudden death overtime, the game was determined by the assinine method of penalty kicks with HH winning at the hand of their very talented goalkeeper. It was a heartbreaker for CN who had the talent and the heart to go all the way but somehow couldn't make it happen. You can't win soccer games if you can't put it in the back of the net. Just wait until next year!!!
Posted By: 2004striker Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 12:40 PM
You go Mom!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 01:03 PM
i agree with 2004striker you have made some dumb comments worst then most of mine. CN just can't beat HH. HH desirved that win... come on up 3-1 and then later 4-4 lucky for CN even to get them into PKs. GO HOME and NEVER POST AGAIN momofcn#18!!
Posted By: Dain Bramage Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 01:09 PM
mom - It has been a couple of years, but the behavior of Heathwood's fans at a playoff match at their place was deplorable. It has always amused me how some of these "christian" schools tolerate that kind of behavior from the parents.

Bdad - I don't think there will be anyone taking Heathwood lightly. Coming to the game?
Posted By: 2004striker Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 01:15 PM
You_Kick_(your)_Balls,
I was not putting Mom down at all. I was telling her to go after Bdad. Let him have it! The HH coach kicked a ball far out into the woods. How bad can you get?? I bet they never found the ball either.
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 01:23 PM
momofcn#18 -

I've known Kevin Graves almost 20 years and this is the first time I have ever heard anyone question his character. He is an excellent soccer coach, who has always prepared his teams (whether it be at Cardinal Newman, Heathwood Hall, or club ball) very well and I've never once had anyone raise an eyebrow at the conduct of his squads or himself.

I know the loss was a tough one to stomach last night for the Cardinals, who had a great season under Coach John Boulware, but to publicly lambast Coach Graves is uncalled for in my opinion.

Congratulations to Heathwood Hall on their Upper State title!
Posted By: BDad11 Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 01:28 PM
My assesment of Coach Graves was for his coaching ability.However, I have got to know Coach Graves in the last several years and have found him to be a very nice person as well as a good coach.My boys can play for him anytime! Last night was heated but a clean game by both sides. By the way last I heard Coach Graves was sticking around.As for your Coach Boulware, I totally agree. He IS a class act. He has taken the time after both CN-WH games to say a kind word to my sons.Good coach and nice man!

Dain, I know you guys will be ready. My post was more directed to Zidane who evidently doesn't think much of Heathwood.By the way weren't you one of Ted's Reds.I thought so!!

2004- leave us SCISA types alone.Mind your own bidness!!
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 01:32 PM
I echo Kyle's comments on Kevin Graves -- one of the best high school soccer coaches in the state! It's been my pleasure to coach with and against Kevin over the years and I wish Heathwood Hall and Coach Graves the best of luck in the SCISA Final!
Posted By: 2004striker Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 01:38 PM
bdad,
Just joking about Mom. (I am sure you can take her, anyway.) And I know how dangerous you SCISA types are! I, too, know that Graves is quality coach and individual. He used to be at CN years ago and produced some great teams there. Good luck against the lowcountry! Maybe the PW boys will be thinking ahead about their tryouts at BridgeFA, and not be focused on the game! You need to take a large fan caravan down there to support your boys.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 01:49 PM
Hey Mom,
They only reason you are blasting Heathwood's coach is because you are just so "disappointed" that CN managed to waste all that talent they have over there. The CN coach just seemed to sit there. In a big game like that you do whatever it takes to get your team fired up to win. Coach Graves' track record speaks for itself. To me Coach Boulware was the underachieving coach of the year! Also, get your facts straight: the ball he kicked went out onto the field, not far into the woods as you claim. As far as PK's being assanine, they wouldn't be if your guys could hit them would they? The only reason you seem to post is to bash other teams and proclaim how high and mighty CN is. Well that all just got flushed down the toilet didn't it? Congrats on another wasted season over there at CN. Seems to me like they would give anything to have Coach Graves back; he gets the job done: Heathwood in the state championship game!
Posted By: Bear Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 02:44 PM
Striker,

Don't want to spin this one off subject, but one of the reasons that Bridge FA split the age groups the way they did, was to allow players to focus on HS playoffs and then worry about the club season. Don't think many of them will be looking past this game to the tryouts.
Posted By: Playmaker Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 02:52 PM
Kyle, bdad......I thank you for the kind words and for the endorsement as well.

Also, Let me say that (Rdbrnn16 and others) I hate to see this message board used in a manner that is harmful, hurtfull and disrespectful towards coaches, players and parents that I know and respect from my team as well as our opponents.

CNMOM, In retrospect, I do regret kicking the ball across the field when I was questioning to me what was an obvious error on the part of the offical. That action was not premeditated, but nonetheless not necessary. AND FOR THAT I APOLOGIZE.

However, I will never apologize for coaching with the same intensity and emotion that I ask of my players in a critical game against an amazingly talented opponent. Furthermore, I will not apologize for coming to the defense of my players and my team by engaging in conversation with the official. I feel obligated to take on that role so that my players can take care of their reponsibilies on the field. My players would have thrown themselves in front of a truck for one another last night and they know that I would do the same.

In closing, I am very proud of the way both teams peformed and I have the utmost respect for the the coaches, players and parents of both schools. The amount of support received by both teams in the form of fans and observers is a testiment to the growing popularity of the game as well as the work done to promote the programs. My heart goes out to the CN players and I am extremely proud of the way both teams played and conducted themselves.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 04:01 AM
I want to apologize for my earlier comments, they were inappropriate.
Posted By: BDad11 Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 04:06 AM
Red, are you a BL player? It doesn't matter, but from earlier posts on here I had you pegged as a Lipper. Is that right ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 05:31 PM
Good luck to PW on Saturday. Win or lose you guys can hold your head high. Great season for a very young team.

Boris and Dale - great senior leadership from you both. Good luck!
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 05:31 PM
No, from my knowledge, I'm pretty sure that he is not a ben lippen player. I'm pretty sure that I know everyone on the teams name that has one, and that isn't one, besides the 16 would have me fooled.
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 05:35 PM
in fact, I just found out that he goes to heathwood...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 05:46 PM
Benp,
I do not go to Heathwood.
Posted By: BDad11 Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 05:47 PM
The great mystery? Who is Rdbrrn16?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 05:47 PM
I went to high school in Columbia and am just a fan of high school soccer.
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 05:54 PM
Oh, well, sorry, I find it hard to believe that an average fan would know the way that rne scored against heathwood. I can't imagine someone with no connection to the school actually going to that game.
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 05:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rdbrrn16:
Could someone please explain the new SCISA rankings? How do teams with extreme losing records get ranked ahead of tems with winning records? Porter is 1-6 and ranked ahead of Heathwood, who dropped 4 spots without a loss. Doesn;t make any sense!

quote:
Heathwood 8
First Baptist 0

quote:
RNE hit a bomb from like 35 yards out on a bouncing ball that wasn't cleared by the defense and they scored with like 2 seconds left on another mental lapse by the defense. Heathwood dominated the whole game and was up 5-0 and put all their reserves in who didn't keep up the same level of play as the starters and they paid for it.

quote:
Hey Benp, looks like WH finally found out that they cant run with the big boys in SCISA! Now they have to play Heathwood who should have beaten CN yesterday, have fun with that one! Might get ugly

quote:
In regards to that tied at half and then calling it I beleive you would not play the second half but rather go to PK's. If it is an official game at half-time then that would be the same as being tied at the end of overtime and therefore go to PK's. They tried to do that yesterday but CN would have none of it

quote:
Heathwood seemed to have had more chances against CN in that first half. CN had one shot off the crossbar. Overall Heathwood seemed more ready to play and more physical.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 07:49 PM
I am a Heathwood alumni.
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 09:59 PM
Ok, that definately makes more sense. I didn't want you to think you could play it off as just another fan. I knew you had links.
Posted By: 2004striker Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 10:34 PM
benp lippen,
With all these recent posts, are you trying to position yourself for next year's PLC? Thats smart.
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 11:38 PM
actually
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 11:39 PM
yes
Posted By: 2004striker Re: SCISA final - 05/12/05 11:55 PM
I figured.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 03:58 AM
Can I get my licks in here about Coaches Graves and Boulware? From what I saw, Coach Graves is lucky he was not tossed. The ball being kicked was only 1 thing he did that should have got him run. Coach Boulware is a nice guy and I thought that Cardinal Newman team has played bettr than they did against HH. Coach Boulware and the CN asst also had their moments where they acted like little kids instead of coaches. I don't think either coach really would want to see a tape of that match. I thought the players on both teams really acted and did better than the coaches.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 01:29 PM
Kyle Heise:

I apologize for seemingly stirring up some differing opinions of Mr. Graves on this website. I thought offering differing opinions would be an excellent way to encourage intelligent, thoughtful discussions of soccer in SC. Obviously, I was incorrect.

I am sure many others will refrain from voicing an intelligent opinion in the future for fear of being verbally reprimanded on the website by one of the Heise clan.

I am a very proud parent of a Cardinal Newman soccer player and will not change my opinion of Mr. Graves' behavior on that particular night. I understand passion for the game and love of the players but it can go too far. Coaches are public entities who represent their individual schools--they need to keep that in mind when they are on the sidelines.

I am VERY impressed that he publicly apologized for ONE of his actions. I agree with Mr. Graves that this message board should not be used in the manner that Rdbrrn16 (and others) has done. It's just not intelligent dialogue and soccer is an intelligent game.
Posted By: Playmaker Re: SCISA final - 05/14/05 04:36 AM
CN SoccerMOM-

With all do respect: Beause someone does not agree with your "intelligent opinions" does not mean that you are being reprimanded.

Futhermore, "Stirring up conversation" at the expense of someone elses reputation may in some peoples eyes not be setting a good example and may warrant an apology of it's own.

If you truly want a valid assessment of my character ask the players on your son's team. I was fortunate to be their coach at team camp last summer at Furman University and was able to work with them exclusively for the duration of the week.

Finally, CNMOM - As I addressed to my team yesterday at practice. There are going to be a lot of distractions between now and Saturday's Championship Match. (This being one example.) I conveyed to them that we do not want to get caught up with these sort of distractions because it will not help us achieve our objective.

That being said, we have exactly 28 hours to prepare ourselves for the opportunity of a lifetime and therefore my players and I will not be reading or posting anything on this message board.

I welcome you to contact me personally (after this weekend) if you would like to have futher conversation about soccer or otherwise. Their are many folks at Cardinal Newman that can put you in touch with me being that I am a CN graduate and spent 7 wonderful years teaching and coaching at the school.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 05:12 PM
Highlander--

You assume I have a SON who is a soccer player at Cardinal Newman. I do not. I have a daughter who will be leading her team to the SCISA championship game tomorrow. (Thanks to Heathwood Hall School for answering St. Joseph's call to move this game to a more central location for them!)

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I am amazed that voicing my opinion could possibly affect your reputation as a coach. You must think people value my opinion.
Posted By: BDad11 Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 05:16 PM
Mom, give it a rest. Please!
Posted By: Bruticus Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 05:39 PM
How is deciding a game by the use of PKs "asinine"? Why don't some of you defend the Game (not the game), itself, by calling her out on her most ridiculous comment in that entire emotion-blurred post?

Put the most of five kicks in the goal and you win, lady. I suppose you'd prefer they flip a coin or, better (worse) yet, give them all a trophy for trying?
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 05:44 PM
I would agree with mommy on this one (as much as i dissagree with everything else). Pk's is the worst way to end a soccer game. Have you ever noticed that no other soccer league (that I've ever heard of) uses pks to decide games unless they are the championship game (or playoffs)? I know that the HH CN game HAD to go into pks, but in the season, they should never be used. Why not just end in ties, and use the point system...It would make a lot more sense, and CN wouldn't have had to play HH so early, because they would have been 2nd seed.
Posted By: Bruticus Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 05:47 PM
This is America. We despise ties. Does this really need explanation?

Also, take that extra ten minutes at the end of practice to work with your goalies. It'll save you a lot of heartache and whining.
Posted By: cap'n walt Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 05:48 PM
i agree with ben p on this... I think a points system needs to be put in. I am tired of PK's..winning and losing..it is exciting for the fans, but a nightmare for players and coaches.
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 05:55 PM
I completely disagree. America doesn't matter, because soccer doesn't get enough recognition anyways. But 90% of all players I have EVER talked to say that they would prefer to tie somebody than to beat them in pks, because Pks are too unpredictable, and you never know who will win. This is coming from a student at Ben Lippen whose keeper saved 10 pks (I think) out of 18. But you can't train a keeper to stop pks past a certain point, it has to be natural.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 06:05 PM
High school soccer should at least use the MLS version of PKs...
where the player starts from half-field and goes one on one with the goalie.
Posted By: Bruticus Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 06:07 PM
We'll just have to disagree. I think you are posting "emotional" facts and not "actual" facts. 90 percent polled agree with you? I guess I can't argue your own personal experience, but it seems specious to me.

Anyone who should be playing keeper can be trained to stop PKs. You have a defeatist attitude on that matter. Every PK will not be stopped. Maybe that is what you meant...but then that adds a touch more excitement to this great game.

America doesn't matter? This country is the sleeping giant of soccer that just opened one eye at the last World Cup. What will happen when we finally fix our gaze entirely on this sport?
Posted By: benp Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 07:59 PM
I meant america's opinion of winning/losing doesn't matter because soccer isn't appreciated, but college and pro, and semi pro, and club, and super y, and every other form of competetive soccer (and likely high school in other states) ends in ties. And the 90% is very accurate, cause i've only asked about 10 people, but I'd like to see a poll done. I think polling is outlawed on scsoccer.com though.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/13/05 08:27 PM
Why is polling outlawed on this site, benp?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SCISA final - 05/14/05 01:23 PM
all right, so what time is first touch at??
Posted By: cm15-90min Re: SCISA final - 05/14/05 03:01 PM
for the AAA, it begins at 4:30...at Porter Gaud
© SC Soccer