SC Soccer
Posted By: OldRef New State Rankings - 04/16/06 11:55 PM
New rankings are out. All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't have to do them. I figured the tourney this week would be a rankings scrambler, but who could have guessed?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/16/06 11:58 PM
i dont think that hilton head and south aiken should be ranked as high as they are
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 12:13 AM
That is because you don't know anything about those teams.....
Posted By: Hawk.. Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 12:14 AM
HH beat fort mill.. Spring Valley,Wando, South Aiken,and Dutch Fork lost.. HH could of be back to #2 but Irmo didnt play at all this week so it was good for them to not play at all.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 12:33 AM
How does Irmo got from 6 to 2 with only a win against chapin and 5 losses?

Thank goodness the playoffs are coming soon. The rankings will really start to mean something.
Posted By: OldRef Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 01:11 AM
It's hard to get a read on just how good South Aiken is, having not seen them play. If they are ranked too high, this week will tell, as they have to play Lexington and Spring Valley on the road. They win those two, they deserve the ranking. Hilton Head has Fort D and Beaufort at home. If they win, they can wrap up their region with a win at Colleton Co. If they get those wins, coupled with their play in Columbia, they deserve the ranking. Right now you have NW a clear #1, with the next seven or eight teams pretty much interchangable. Irmo, SV, DF, Lex, SA, HH, Wando, West Ashley, FM. Fort D is unranked but very dangerous. There may be a few dark horses lurking out there ready to make a run. Stratford is getting back to form. James Island is very good, but hit a few bumps this week. Dorman, Mauldin & Wren are new in the rankings this week. You just have to love this mess if you love soccer. The playoffs are going to be great!
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 02:09 AM
In my perfect world:

1. Northwestern
2. Spring Valley
3. Wando
4. South Aiken
5. Irmo
6. Lexington
7. Dutch Fork
8. Fort Mill
9. Hilton Head
10.James Island

..but really..after 1,2,3..who cares? The disparity between 1..and everyone else though..should be reason enough for this not to matter.
Posted By: LAMPSHADE Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 02:50 AM
i agree with L-E Dudes rankings. the new rankings are absolutely terrible! first of all, how can irmo be # 2 AHEAD OF SV? SV already clinched the hardest region in the state. it makes no sense. Second, i kno HH had a good tournament but they just lost to Summerville and i dont care how close it was. S'ville placed 2nd to last in the tournament and lost to S. Anchorage. And lastly, how does Wando drop 6 places??? yea they tied Farragut (who were finalists in the palmetto cup) and lost by one to SV who, from what i saw, is one of the best teams in the state. i dont understand, but i just can't wait for playoffs.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 02:55 AM
atually allball i do know something about those teams. I have seen both of them play and neither of them impressed at all, especially hilton head.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 02:56 AM
actually allball i do know something about those teams. I have seen both of them play and neither of them impressed me at all, especially hilton head.
Posted By: seahawks Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 03:25 AM
what wasnt impressive to you?..the fact that they won all of there group games? or the fact that they won those group games with JV STARTERS because part of their team was missing?...dont just say they werent impressive...give people some specifics...yea HH just lost to summerville...who cares...trust me we have argued enough on that topic..i also believe hilton head beat fort mill (who was ranked ahead of HH at the time of the game)2-0 so what does that tell you about the rankings?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 03:29 AM
chill there mr. seahawks. I just said they didnt seem to impress me. I didnt know about the jv starters or any of that. Sorry if I offended you. What didn't impress me was there defense toward the end of the games. They seemed to get tired and gave away some goals.(Against Farrugut)
Posted By: LAMPSHADE Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 03:35 AM
well yall lost to S'ville and they shouldnt have come close.

and yea......a loss is a loss
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 03:36 AM
well put Lampshade
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 03:41 AM
The new rankings are not "absolutely terrible" ..I think it's a pretty tall order to sort out the mess that is 2-10. You can make arguements for any combination of rankings..

Ultimately, region play determines playoff brackets..not rankings. Relax.
Posted By: Spartan Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 03:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by L-E Dude:
In my perfect world:

1. Northwestern
2. Spring Valley
3. Wando
4. South Aiken
5. Irmo
6. Lexington
7. Dutch Fork
8. Fort Mill
9. Hilton Head
10.James Island

..but really..after 1,2,3..who cares? The disparity between 1..and everyone else though..should be reason enough for this not to matter.

L.E. Dude, I enjoyed your tournament commentary this weekend, but your rankings are as off as your assessment of the Irmo Defense and their two keepers (Dustin & Pill..)??

Keep up the great work on the color commentary but leave the play-by-play and prognosticating to benp [Eek!]
Posted By: Superstar11 Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 04:17 AM
ok well I agree with NW as #1, who wouldn't? BTW I have a question about their game against farragut...how did they score 10 goals? did farragut just give up? as for the 2-15 rankings, those are pointless, the lower state is so closely matched the 2-10 positions could all be argued with...might I be the first person to suggest there be a different top 5 for both the lower state and the upper state? I think this would make them easier to understand when looking at the playoffs
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 04:34 AM
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] ...overshadowed by a minor.
Posted By: Import Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 12:32 PM
Good point superstar. Being fairly new to area, I for one would like to see it broken down between upper and lower. NW def #1, the rest, depends what day. Seahawk, your two forwards are awesome!
Posted By: wolfgang Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 12:59 PM
how did nw score 10 goals, u ask? they were on the admirals from the start and never let up. all the goals were quality, and nw could could have scored more. the midfield of nw controlled the field and the forwards were deadly. nw is for real especially on a big field which is what their home field is. farragut was not tired due to the overtime game, as one suggested, as it subbed early and often without a drop off in play. nw was/is fit and aggressive and hungry. i, too, cannot wait for the playoffs.
Posted By: OldRef Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 01:48 PM
Johnny C was right about Seahawks giving up late goals. You can't do that and win. However the Summerville team HH lost to at S'ville, and the team that showed up in green and white are two completely different teams. I don't know what's going on up there, but the team HH played up there was on a roll. The team that showed up in Columbia just didn't perform. Go figure. I know how good they can be. Do they?
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 02:21 PM
Summerville has definitely had an up and down season..The talent is there.Hopefully they can pull it together and play well in the playoffs
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 02:26 PM
They looked like 6's and 7's at the Palmetto Cup.
Posted By: Jackson, Samuel L. Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 02:53 PM
Talent??? Ummmmm No!
Posted By: benp Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 06:18 PM
Its about time someone put LE Dude in his place.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 07:07 PM
And what place is that?
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 09:31 PM
..this is how it goes CF.

The trailblazer leads the way for the young rising star..and eventually the trend setter is forgotten..and the new fad takes center stage.

One day though.. one beautiful day.. a new generation will look back to the origin of their roots.. and just as we celebrate Jackie Robinson..and Texas Western..and the 1930s MNT..and Members Only Jackets..one day..we shall celebrate the poster that ushered scsoccer.com from the golden age..into a new millennium of possibility. ..your's truly.

The end.
Posted By: LAMPSHADE Re: New State Rankings - 04/17/06 11:57 PM
still waiting on someone to explain how IRMO is ahead of SV in the rankings when they are in the same region and SV has already cliched it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 12:57 AM
yea i support lampshade all the way he has really good points.
Posted By: lookatmeimatree Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 01:02 AM
as well i just because of irmos inactivity dosent mean you should put away what sv has done in the past. Rankings= weird
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 01:15 AM
Lampshade... just a guess?
Of the 5 total Irmo losses.....3 of those came in PK's. The other 2 losses in regulation came from #1 NW...and Norman North (OK). Other than that....who cares...It's almost playoff time!!! [Razz]
Posted By: ihs12 Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 02:29 AM
the treeguy and lampshade are absolutely correct... although irmo did beat SV once, SV still won the division. these rankings are definetly whack. SV #7 is really odd. irmo #2, that may be a bit of an overstatement.. but oakenfold is right, its playoff time.. its a good thing they dont mean anything. you hear that players they dont mean anything. prove it on the field
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 02:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by L-E Dude:
..this is how it goes CF.

The trailblazer leads the way for the young rising star..and eventually the trend setter is forgotten..and the new fad takes center stage.

One day though.. one beautiful day.. a new generation will look back to the origin of their roots.. and just as we celebrate Jackie Robinson..and Texas Western..and the 1930s MNT..and Members Only Jackets..one day..we shall celebrate the poster that ushered scsoccer.com from the golden age..into a new millennium of possibility. ..your's truly.

The end.

I love modesty.
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 02:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Spartan:
L.E. Dude, I enjoyed your tournament commentary this weekend, but your rankings are as off as your assessment of the Irmo Defense and their two keepers (Dustin & Pill..)??

Keep up the great work on the color commentary but leave the play-by-play and prognosticating to benp [Eek!]

Word is 2 of Greenbrier's 3 goals tonight were keeper error. Quote from my source was something like, "..because they're keeper is horrible." ..something to that effect.

oh..my source? ..your precious benp!

3-0 Greenbrier over Irmo.. does the vindication ever stop?!

Edit: CF- Thank you for all your support throughout the years.. when they retire my username.. and have a write-up in the New York Times..I'll make sure you get a mention.

Spartan- ..just curious what is so wrong with my ranking anyway?
Posted By: ihs12 Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 02:54 AM
which goals did he think were keeper error?
Posted By: Jack Rozier Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 02:56 AM
He just said two of the three were questionable/weak.. I wasn't there..and we didn't talk long. Not trying to call out benp..just well.. yes.. I'm throwing him under the bus. [Big Grin]
Posted By: benp Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 03:23 AM
The first one was in houston's hands, and he just let it go. The third was terribly saveable (but not a bad strike), and Kevin didn't seem to move.
Posted By: ihs12 Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 04:45 AM
yeah i attended. i just wanted to see what you thought. i definetly agree with the 3rd goal being keeper error. and for the first goal i couldnt really tell whether it was in his hands or not. but thats what i thought may have happened. thanks for clearing that up
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 05:11 AM
LE-Dude and Benp:
You guys really should venture outside the house every once in a while. Your fatigued fingers and sore eyes deserve a much needed break from the computer after all these years. Just imagine what could have been if you guys had spent as much time practicing soccer as you have posting on this board. It’s okay to sit back sometimes and read through a full thread without posting your “assessment” about a keeper, defense, or an entire team. ON the other hand, I guess we should give a little weight to some of your judgments when they pertain to weaknesses on the field. Hence the saying “it takes one to know one,” right? Coming from Lugoff - Elgin and Ben Lippen is enough “vindication” for most of us to realize that your opinions are of slight value.
Posted By: 4Adefender Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 05:55 PM
NW vs. Farragut. Evidently NW got some advice from a source on how to expose Farragut's outsides. NW did jsut that and put 2 or 3 goals away early. then Farragut just hit a wall and stopped. Could be from 5 tough games in three days or becuase they didn't care, it doesn't matter, they stopped playing. Still a team to beat Farragut 10-1 is amazing
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New State Rankings - 04/18/06 08:03 PM
Yes that score is amazing! However Northwestern felt right at home playing on that big pitch. They will use every inch of that field to their advantage. Most schools do not have a soccer field that big, yet NW practices everyday on a field that big. Its not so much Farragut being tired. they probably arnt use to that size of a field, and if they were tired during the game that is there coaches fault for not getting them in shape. NW had conditionin all during Spring Break.
© SC Soccer