SC Soccer
Brookland-Cayce High School is proud to announce the 16-team field for the 15th Annual Palmetto Cup. The dates are April 4-7, 2007.

The spring event, held in South Carolina's capital city suburbs of Cayce and West Columbia, will feature 12 top-class programs from the Palmetto State, as well as four nationally and regionally respected programs from outside the South Carolina borders.

The 2007 participants and their respective 2006 classification ranking, record, postseason and Palmetto Cup history are as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airport, 3A #15, 13-11-0, 3A First Round
PC = 0-4-0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brookland-Cayce, 3A #4, 16-11-1, 3A Semifinals
PC = 27-12-10, Champions = 1993 & 1997, Runners-Up = 1996 & 1999
Christian Brothers, Division 2 #2, 18-1-0, D2 Finals, #7 NSCAA Region 1 Poll
PC = First Appearance
Memphis, TENNESSEE
Daniel, 3A #3, 22-5-0, 3A Semifinals
PC = 3-5-0
Dorman, 4A #12, 17-7-0, 4A Second Round
PC = 6-5-1
Dutch Fork, 4A #10, 18-8-1, 4A Second Round
PC = 16-15-6, Runners-Up = 1993, 1994, & 1998
Farragut, 3A #3, 3A Semifinals
PC = 3-1-1, 2006 Runner-Up
Knoxville, TENNESSEE
Fort Mill, 4A #6, 21-4-0, 4A Quarterfinals
PC = 5-1-2
Kelly Walsh, 4A #3
PC = 1-3-0
Casper, WYOMING
Lexington, 4A #8, 19-5-2, Quarterfinals
PC = 9-8-5
Norman North, 5A #3, 15-2-0, 5A Semifinals, #13 NSCAA National Poll, #3 NSCAA Region 4 Poll
PC = 15-1-2, Champions = 2000, 2004, & 2005
Norman, OKLAHOMA
Northwestern, 4A #1, 26-2-0, 4A State Champions, #6 NSCAA National Poll, #2 NSCAA Region 1 Poll
PC = 9-5-0, Champions = 2006, Runner-Up = 1995
Pinewood Prep, SCISA #1, 19-6-0, SCISA State Champions
PC = 2-5-1
Riverside, 3A #1, 22-6-0, 3A State Champions, #10 NSCAA Region I Poll
PC = 5-4-0, Runner-Up = 2004
Spring Valley, 4A #2, 22-6-0, 4A State Runners-Up, #9 NSCAA Region I Poll
PC = 12-8-3, Champions = 2003
Wando, 4A #3, 22-4-2, 4A Semfinals
PC = 7-3-2

We would like to thank all the coaches, players, and fans' interest in this prestigious event and please know that the tourney field above was selected from a quality pool of boys soccer programs.

However, when trying to organize a 16-team field competing over four days, the playing dates (i.e., Spring Breaks, religious holidays, travel time, etc.) are considered and some teams that have played in the Palmetto Cup recently have been put "on hold" for future tournaments.
ANOTHER GOOD JOB BY B C
Summerville? Fort Mill?
No Riverside this year????/
Congrats to Pinewood Prep. They should have a very good team in 07 and represent SCISA and SC well.
I sure would like to know the format used to select these teams....seems like more politics than anything else!
Maybe those teams didn't want to come!
that is one freakin stacked tournament!
how are teams determined?
"format used to select teams...polotics"??!! What is that crap? I amsure that they took the first 16 quality teams that want to participate! Obviously BC will be in it, and now Airport is in due to their facilities being used, everyone else, well, they want to be their and have made an early commitment to play.
Who do you want to see there that are not in?
quote:
how are teams determined?
Very carefully from a pool of very qualified teams. That's the easiest way to explain it.

In the case of Fort Mill, which I'm sure you are wondering why the Yellow Jackets weren't included in the 2007 field, it's because of the Spring Break conflicts -- they just don't match up. We had to decide on several teams in this scenario and we chose to try to work out the logistics and scheduling with the defending tourney champion Northwestern, since their Spring Break differs as well. We have a couple of other Palmetto State teams we are working with as well with differing Spring Breaks (Dutch Fork and Bishop England) and these teams have been a part of the tourney many times in the past and have been on the 'waiting list' for a variety of reasons -- mostly on their ends.

To put it simply, it's only 16 teams that get to participate and I think the tournament field speaks for itself -- year-in and year-out. We hope to have Fort Mill back at the Palmetto Cup in the near future!
Speaks well I guess for SC soccer, which it should. Ft Mill did defeat both NW and SV last year, represented themselves well at the Cup in 2006, and again should have a solid team in 2007. Guess 2007 will determine. Think they do rate up there with Dorman, Lexington, Daniel, and Dutch Fork. Personnally, I will miss the competition and level of play. Very impressed with the quality last year. Overall, great job, great field.
Why wasn't Riverside invited back?
should be interisting to see how pinewood will match up against some big schools having almost a full lineup of seniors
what allstar means is "should be interesting to see if other teams can match up with Pinewood's strong senior class and stellar rising sophmore.
It'll be interesting to see how Pinewood does in this tourney for sure. Where is Summerville? They're at least 4A.
Maybe Summerville's not in it because they looked like pure crap and embarrassed themselves this past spring!!
Kyle...why was Summerville not included in this year's Palmetto Cup??
mr. jackson just told you. may have been a little rude, but he told you pretty much all you needed to know. they aren't good enough to be in the tournament. they aren't an elite team.
Bishop England has had to withdraw from the 2007 tournament due to Easter week limitations. Teams have been contacted concerning the final spot in the 15th Annual Palmetto Cup.
..doesn't this happen EVERY year? Geez..
Summerville has a 19-13-5 all-time record in the tournament and has participated every year since 1996. For the first time, we've not been invited back. Yes, we had a dreadful showing during the last tournament and probably couldn't be consideredd "elite" based on that alone. We did, however, reach the semifinal in 2005 and I expect to field a competitive team in the years to come. Best of luck to those involved. It looks like a very good field.
10 of the 21 highest rated boys teams of 2006 in South Carolina are scheduled to compete in next year's tournament:

#1 Northwestern, 4A
#3 Spring Valley, 4A
#5 Wando, 4A
#7 Fort Mill, 4A
#9 Lexington, 4A
#13 Dutch Fork, 4A
#15 Daniel, 3A
#16 Dorman, 4A
#20 Brookland-Cayce, 3A
#21 Pinewood Prep, SCISA
#48 Airport, 3A

http://www.mratings.com/rate.php?lg=hssb&sub=SC

Ed, regarding your comments on Summerville -- as you know it's very difficult to put together a quality field each year and we appreciate the Green Wave's participation in the past and hope SHS will join us again in the near future. However, some other programs have been "on hold" the past couple of years for various reasons and will be returning several high profile players and this is an opportunity for the Palmetto Cup to showcase these individual and team talents.

One small correction regarding Summerville's record in the Palmetto Cup -- it now stands at 19-17-5 over an 11-year span from 1996-2006 and that run includes a Runner-Up finish in 1997 and five other finishes amongst the top four teams.
How does Airport get to play ahead of Summerville? Is it just because they're right by BC? Good to see Pinewood get a shot though.
I think it is funny that you have Aiport is in the tourny but not riverside and greenville that will dominate sc soccer next year. The will atcually hang with Norman North, Christian brothers, Northwestern, and all the other good teams while Airport, Ocean Lakes, and Pinewood Prep wont stand a chance.
Fort Mill has agreed to join the 2007 field. The Yellow Jackets finished 21-4 this past spring and advanced to the Class 4A Quarterfinals. Coach Lloyd Chalker's Yellow Jackets have participated in the past two Palmetto Cup tournaments and have compiled a 5-1-2 mark.
quote:
How does Airport get to play ahead of Summerville? Is it just because they're right by BC? Good to see Pinewood get a shot though.
As for the Airport issue: AHS is the "sister school" of Brookland-Cayce HS in Lexington School District Two. The Eagles have had an open invitation to join the Palmetto Cup since Eagle Stadium was first utilized as a tournament site in 1999. However, past coaching staffs at AHS have declined this invitation for a variety of reasons until last year. As long as the Airport HS campus is being used during the Palmetto Cup, then the Eagles will have the opportunity to join the tournament field in the future.
I'm sorry, but Riverside and Greenville will NOT hang with Norman North!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Kyle,

Who did Fort Mill replace?
Bishop England
You sure. I think Norman North probably graduated alot of their best players last year which came from the Celtic 88 club team in Norman, Oklahoma. They probably won't be quite as good as last year while Riverside and Greenville will both get better. They might not beat Norman North but I think they could hang with them.
SCSOCCER what are u talking about "pinewood wont stand a chance?" i cant wait to see them do well and u end up looking like an idiot
I don't know why they don't play more public schools in the Summerville/Charleston area

The results are there on their schedule.. and having seen them first hand.. they can hang with the schools at the Palmetto Cup..and depending on their group..they could be contenders.

Not sure what the new coach will be like..but they haven't lost much from the squad. They certainly deserve a spot in the Cup.
Jack,

Don't really know the answer to that one. However, it will be more interesting next year. This season the SCISA regional lineup had PP in a region with 6 other teams, making for 12 region games. Next year PP is in a region with 4 other teams, (5 but Ashley Hall is all girls). Obviously, they will be looking for more matches next year to replace the loss of region games.

SCISA is going to a 4 region makeup next year. I don't know how they are going to do the playoffs, but if you go from 2 regions with 4 spots, and now go to 4 regions, the easiest thing to justify would be 2 spots per region. That makes is really tough on the Columbia area, since BL, CN, HH and Ham are all in the same region.
I don't know if you are aware, but when Norman North came to the Lake Murray Challenge this year they played Dutch Fork first with NONE of their starters who were on some trip ( won 4-0). When the starters came back they proceeded to beat everyone quite easily.
I know the coach and Brian will not run up a score deliberately, so I know the damge could have been a lot worse.
They may lose a little something by their standards but not enough to allow Riverside or Greenville to hang with them.
2007 Palmetto Cup Coaches -- please check your e-mail for important information regarding next spring's tournament.
Im telling you right now if the played next year greenville would win. And riverside could def hang with Norman North. I wish they would play so Bazza would feel really stupid.
or would it be Riverside that wins and Greenville that hangs with them?
northwesterns attacking side will be something to keep an eye on...they only lose one starter at forward, with midfield and forwards being almost identical, enzo,benson,kropp,antinoro (now known as the BIG 4. expect big attacking numbers once again next year
by antinoro you mean arroyo right? I mean 3 out of 4 ain't bad but why post unless you're sure of his name?
Looks like there are higher aspirations for the NN coach to seek as he leaves NN soccer for high admin. position. He will probably succeed there too. But, look at that career record -
http://www.newsok.com/article/2774684/?template=sports/highschool
136-8-3 ..that's pretty nuts.
Quote:

by antinoro you mean arroyo right? I mean 3 out of 4 ain't bad but why post unless you're sure of his name?

I believe that he is referring to Michael Antinoro--a rising senior.
I heard there might be a Lexington vs. NW game at this years palmetto cup. It would be fun to watch those to teams go at it again. Any truth to this?
The 2007 Palmetto Cup tournament schedule has been posted online at the Brookland-Cayce "Bearcat Soccer" website.

2007 Palmetto Cup Schedule - Adobe Acrobat

This is subject to change, but the information is what has been distributed to participating teams.
Group D
Yeah, no joke. Group D looks strong. Lexington and Northwestern are arguably the two favorites in the upperstate and from what I hear Pinewood Prep should be really good this year. But I don't know that Group B looks any less difficult. Norman North is always the favorite. Daniel should compete with Riverside and Greenville to be one of the strongest 3A teams. Wando looks to be on the the top teams in the Lowerstate and even with a dissapointing season last year, Dutch Fork should be competetive probably starting 9 or 10 seniors along with Danny Cates. Group C is solid with SV and Dorman (don't know what Farragut graduated) but it's pretty obvious Group A is the weakest judging by past Palmetto Cups showings by out of state teams and amount of talent and numbers lost at BC (not really sure about FM).
It's a shame that Riverside is going through another coaching change and will most likely miss out on applying for some of the top HS tournaments. Palmetto Cup looks like it will be a good one.
my picks on final group standings are:

1Fort Mill
2Ocean Lakes
3BC
4Kelly Walsh

1Norman North
2Dutch Fork
3Daniel
4Wando

1Spring Valley
2Farragaut
3Dorman

1Pinewood
2Christian Brothers
3Northwestern
4Lexington
I'll do mine just for fun too

1. FM
2. Ocean Lakes
3. Kelly Wash
4. BC

1. NN
2. DF
3. Daniel
4. Wando

1. Farragut
2. Dorman
3. SV
4. (I'm pertty sure you left off Airport on purpose. haha.)

1. Northwestern
2. Lexington
3. Pinewood
4. Christian Brothers

I don't know much about the out of state teams. I don't have quite the confidence in Pinewood that you do, but I would like to see them do well.
Let see ...

Ocean Lakes don't know much about, I think they were in the tournament once before.

Kelly Walsh ... Did not impress last year

Norman North... quality, DF and Wando will have their hands full

Christian Bros... I believe they were ranked #7 in the HS region last year.

Farragut - depends on what they graduated

All in all quality level.

Easiest group - A
Hardest group - toss up B or D
Surprise team grp A - none
Surprise team grp B - Daniel
Surprise team grp C - Dorman (young team last year)
Surprise team grp D - not sure (NW not as strong)

Final - NN vs someone from grp D
Coach Don Hart of Ocean Lakes HS (Virginia Beach, VA) informed us late last night that due to an administrative policy change in their school district that OLHS will not be able to travel to the 2007 Palmetto Cup, April 4-7.

E-mails have been distributed upon this change in plans, but if your team is interested in participating in next spring's four day event, please e-mail me at kyle@scsoccer.com.
Riverside, the defending Class 3A State Champions, has taken the place of Ocean Lakes-VA for the 2007 Palmetto Cup. Due to this commitment, the tournament schedule will have to be altered in the near future. Stay tuned!
Just curious as to when the new schedule will be released to show Riverside replacing Ocean Lakes.
Quote:

Just curious as to when the new schedule will be released to show Riverside replacing Ocean Lakes.

Hopefully this week. We've had some changes on schedules, so if we receive confirmation from a couple of out of state teams about their travel arrangements, we'll release it very soon.
The slate has been adjusted and can be found online at 2007 Palmetto Cup Schedule. The Palmetto Cup History section has also been updated.
Can't wait to see how Pinewood Prep is going to do. Their in the Group of Death!!!! Let's see what they do against the big boys!!
2007 Palmetto Cup Schedule

Group A - Brookland-Cayce, Fort Mill, Kelly Walsh-WY, Riverside

Group B - Daniel, Dutch Fork, Norman North-OK, Wando

Group C - Airport, Dorman, Farragut-TN, Spring Valley

Group D - Christian Brothers-TN, Lexington, Northwestern, Pinewood Prep

All games played at Airport HS (Eagle Stadium) or at Brookland-Cayce HS (The Cage).

Wednesday, April 4

EAGLE STADIUM
4:30 pm - Airport vs. Dorman
6:15 pm - Dutch Fork vs. Wando
8:00 pm - Lexington vs. Christian Brothers-TN

THE CAGE
4:30 pm - Northwestern vs. Pinewood Prep
6:15 pm - Spring Valley vs. Farragut-TN
8:00 pm - Brookland-Cayce vs. Kelly Walsh-WY

Thursday, April 5

EAGLE STADIUM
11:00 am - Farragut-TN vs. Dorman
1:00 pm - Pinewood Prep vs. Lexington
5:30 pm - Airport vs. Spring Valley
7:15 pm - Christian Brothers-TN vs. Northwestern

THE CAGE
9:30 am - Daniel vs. Norman North-OK
2:30 pm - Riverside vs. Kelly Walsh-WY
4:15 pm - Wando vs. Daniel
6:00 pm - Fort Mill vs. Brookland-Cayce
7:45 pm - Norman North-OK vs. Dutch Fork

Friday, April 6

EAGLE STADIUM
9:00 am - Fort Mill vs. Riverside
10:45 am - Wando vs. Norman North-OK
3:30 pm - Farragut-TN vs. Airport
5:15 pm - Kelly Walsh-WY vs. Fort Mill
7:00 pm - Dutch Fork vs. Daniel

THE CAGE
10:45 am - Pinewood Prep vs. Christian Brothers-TN
4:00 pm - Dorman vs. Spring Valley
5:45 pm - Northwestern vs. Lexington
7:30 pm - Riverside vs. Brookland-Cayce

Saturday, April 7

EAGLE STADIUM
9:30 am - C#1 vs. D#1 (Semifinals)
11:30 am - C#4 vs. D#4 (Place #13-#16)
1:30 pm - C#3 vs. D#3 (Place #9-#12)
3:30 pm - C#2 vs. D#2 (Place #5-#8)

THE CAGE
9:30 am - A#1 vs. B#1 (Semifinals)
12:30 pm - A#4 vs. B#4 (Place #13-#16)
2:30 pm - A#3 vs. B#3 (Place #9-#12)
4:30 pm - A#2 vs. B#2 (Place #5-#8)
7:00 pm - CHAMPIONSHIP - Winners of the 9:30 am Matches
JCII,
How is group D the group of death? More importantly, who makes it the group of death?

Wando/Norman North?
Northwestern has the best player in the state on the team and their top 3 scorers are returing, Lexington is loaded with seniors and are expected to make a run for a state title, Christian Brothers is one of the top programs in the nation, and Pinewood Prep is the best Scisa school in the state.
The 2007 Palmetto Cup is two weeks away!

The schedule can be found at www.scsoccer.com/bcsoccer/2007PCSchedule.PDF

The history can be found at www.scsoccer.com/bcsoccer/pchistory.htm

The poster can be found at www.scsoccer.com/bcsoccer/2007PCPoster.pdf

The information for this year's event can be found at www.scsoccer.com/bcsoccer/pc_info.htm
who have been the champions the past 12 yrs???
I'm interested to see how Pinewood and Wando do in the tourney. Should be great competition!
The first boys NSCAA/adidas Region I Top 10 Poll has been released and of the 15 teams submitted from the states of South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia, five will be on hand for the 15th annual Palmetto Cup hosted by Brookland-Cayce High School, April 4-7.

SOUTH CAROLINA
2. Northwestern
3. Riverside
4. Pinewood Prep

TENNESSEE
3. Christian Brothers (Memphis)
4. Farragut (Knoxville)

Should be a fun and exciting tourney once again!
don't really know anything on Fort Mill this year besides that they lost Nick.. anyone have any info on their good players, style of play, strengths, and weaknesses
fort mill plays with alot of intensity...they wont light up the scoreboard, but their solid defense allows them to stay in games with great teams
This tournament looks like its gonna be awsome. Any predictions now that were a few days away?.... ill give it a shot.
A- Riverside takes it easily in the weakest group.
C- Spring valley takes this with a close win over farr.,TN
B/D- There is no possible way to predict how these will turn out, just the team that comes out the hardest and most focused (add a little luck) will win. A team from one of these groups will win the tournament, and it will be a match for the ages.
This tournament will be key in representation of how a team reacts as we make our way down the home stretch.
MEDIA RELEASE:

High School Soccer Media -

What: 2007 Palmetto Cup -- 15th Annual Event
When: April 4-7
Where: Brookland-Cayce HS (The Cage) & Airport HS (Eagle Stadium)
Who: 12 of South Carolina's finest boys soccer programs along with 4 nationally recognized programs
Cost: $15 Tournament Pass or $5 per match
Championship: 7:00 p.m., The Cage @ BCHS
More Information: www.scsoccer.com/bcsoccer

The 2007 Palmetto Cup, tabbed as "The Southeast's Premier Boys High School Soccer Tournament" by StudentSportSoccer.com, will kickoff this Wednesday in the West Metro area of the Midlands and go through next Saturday, April 7.

Brookland-Cayce High School, the host of this four day event which will be celebrating its 15th consecutive season, will be one of two sites for the matches with fellow Lexington School District Two high school, Airport HS. B-C's intimate on-campus facility is known as "The Cage" while Airport HS provides the impressive Eagle Stadium.

Joining the Bearcats and Eagles this week are nationally reknowned programs: Christian Brothers (Memphis, TN); Farragut (Knoxville, TN); Kelly Walsh (Casper, WY); and Norman North (Norman, OK). Only Christian Brothers is new to the Palmetto Cup field as Norman North will make its fifth appearance, while Farragut and Kelly Walsh each return for the second consecutive year. Completing the tournament field are Palmetto State powers: Daniel; Dorman; Dutch Fork; Fort Mill; Lexington; Northwestern; Pinewood Prep; Riverside; Spring Valley; and Wando.

Current Rankings
4A #1 Northwestern (#9 NSCAA/adidas National Ranking, #4 Region 1-SC-TN-VA)
4A #2 Wando
4A #3 Lexington
4A #4 Dutch Fork
4A #5 Spring Valley
4A #8 Dorman
4A #9 Fort Mill
3A #2 Riverside (#15 NSCAA/adidas National Ranking, #6 Region 1-SC-TN-VA)
3A #5 Daniel
3A #10 Brookland-Cayce
SCISA #1 Pinewood Prep (#10 Region 1-SC-TN-VA)
-----------
Airport (not ranked)
Christian Brothers-TN (#2 Division 2, #8 Region 1-SC-TN-VA)
Farragut-TN (#3 3A)
Kelly Walsh-WY - no rankings submitted due to start of season
Norman North-OK - no rankings submitted due to start of season

Past Champions
1993 - Brookland-Cayce
1994 - Richland Northeast
1995 - Chapin
1996 - West Florence
1997 - Brookland-Cayce
1998 - Socastee
1999 - Ridge View
2000 - Norman North-OK
2001 - Ridge View
2002 - Bishop England
2003 - Spring Valley
2004 - Norman North-OK
2005 - Norman North-OK
2006 - Northwestern
Should be blast. I'll be there. Who else is going?
what are some predictions for the tournament
My predictions:

Group A - Riverside, Fort Mill, Kelly Walsh, Brookland-Cayce
Group B - Wando, Norman North, Dutch Fork, Daniel
Group C - Farragut, Spring Valley, Dorman, Airport
Group D - Northwestern, Lexington, Christian Brothers, Pinewood Prep

Should be a great tournament!
My Predictions:

Group A - Riverside, Fort Mill, Kelly Walsh, Brookland-Cayce
Group B - Dutch Fork, Norman North, Wando, Daniel
Group C - Spring Valley, Farragut, Dorman, Airport
Group D - Northwestern, Christian Brothers, Lexington, Pinewood Prep

I personally don't see Norman North and Wando beating DF. I also think Norman North will beat Wando in a very close game. The finals i think will end up being Dutch Fork and Northwestern.
How many of you have seen these teams play before?
If Norman North is anything like last year, I expect them to storm through their group. (That is a BIG if).
I agree with Bassett.
well i seriously doubt they will be as good as last year considering they lost all their players from the celtic 87/88? team ...and i know that they have already lost 2 of their 1st five games, but saying that i still think they will be a very good team in this tourny just maybe not as dominant as in years past
i remember last year in the lake murray challenge in their first game against irmo, norman north scored about 30 seconds after kickoff before irmo even touched the ball. i hope they have lost most of their players from last year's team or it could be a long tournament for Group B.
Group A- Riverside, Fort Mill, Kelly, B-C
Group B- Wando,Dutch Fork, Norman North, Daniel
Group C- SV, Farragut, Dorman, Airport
Group D- Lex, Northwestern, Christian Brothers, Pinewood
Only a couple of hours left until the opening kickoff. This tournement almost gives off the excitement of the playoffs.
I want to here about an underdog, whos going suprise everyone in their group? If i were to choose one it would be Daniel. They usually field a pretty competitive team, and I think they could pull a few upsets.
Quote:

Should be blast. I'll be there. Who else is going?

If my info is correct.. Pinewood and NW play tomorrow - 4:30 in Cayce. If so, I'm there. ..though I have to be at work in Five Points by 6.
The High School Sports Report has a nice preview of the tournament on their website.

The State newspaper has a blurb about the Palmetto Cup in their weekly soccer special.

In addition, this annual event has been featured on local radio shows in the Midlands: WCOS-AM 1400 (7-10am, "Talking Sports" with Teddy Heffner); WCOS-AM 1400 (1-3pm, "Sports Talk - First Edition" with Phil Kornblut); WIS-AM 1320 (6-10am, "Good Morning Columbia" with Bill Benton and Doug Enlow).
Ill be there.
i like all the support for pinewood. everyone is picking them to be last in group d. i guess that's what should be expected tho.
Quote:

Ill be there.

I'll be at the SCSOCCER.COM Alumni Association tent..if you sign-up today you get a free visor!

On a serious note, the weather has been a bit ominous this morning, however I think the sun might break through in the next few hours. Anyone with official weather reports?
According to weather.com
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USSC0366?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

Looks like cleraing by this PM... Have to say that I can do without the southern snow blowing all over the place
Ill try to stop on by.
Hey does anyone know what the score are to some of the morning games for the Palmetto Cup
The earliest games today are at 4:30

Airport v Dorman
NW v PP
Oh the anticipation...
4:30 pm Results

Dorman 5-0 Airport
Northwestern 6-2 Pinewood Prep
Dutch Fork 2
Wondo 0
Pretty good game DF got outplayed the first half but was able to battle back in the second and put 2 away. DF's keeper is unbelieveable.
any other scores?
Lex 2 Christian Brothers 2 lex game out put 2 away in the first half...CB battled back and tied it up. It was an ok game i think both teams where a little flat ... CB possess the ball very very well and gave Lex some trouble there... Lex plays PP tomorrow at 1:00 at airport
i left at half time when lexington was up 2-0. with lexington's defense i didn't expect them to get back in that game. you're right about cb they do possess the ball well. you could tell they took a little time to adjust to such a small field. they wanted to possess the ball in the first half, but were having trouble finding space to do so. they must have made the adjustment in the second half. a good game between two really good teams.
SV or BC game anyone?
I believe it was Kelly Walsh 2, BC 1.
any final scores on BC or SV games
4/4/07

EAGLE STADIUM @ AIRPORT HS
Match #1 - Dorman 5-0 Airport
Match #2 - Wando 0-2 Dutch Fork
Match #3 - Christian Brothers (TN) 2-2 Lexington

THE CAGE @ BROOKLAND-CAYCE HS
Match #1 - Pinewood Prep 2-6 Northwestern
Match #2 - Farragut (TN) 2-1 Spring Valley
Match #3 - Kelly Walsh (WY) 2-1 Brookland-Cayce

MATCH #1 - THE CAGE
Goals: (P) Ben Allen, 1:05; (N) Enzo Martinez, 31:21; (N) E. Martinez, 35:19; (P) Ben Riedmayer, 35:45; (N) Vance Benson, 50:40; (N) Ryan Kropp, 59:15; (N) Michael Antinoro, 71:42; (N) Zack Clark, 78:20. Assists: (N) Z. Clark 3, E. Martinez, Will Stillman. Shots: (N) 17; (PP) 5. Saves: (N) Ryan Foster 0; (P) JD Spearman 4. Corner Kicks: (N) 5; (P) 0. Offsides: (N) 6; (P) 0. Fouls: (N) 5; (P) 11. Halftime: N 1-1 PP. Records: N (15-1); P (11-4).

MATCH #2 – THE CAGE
Spring Valley 1-2 Farragut (TN)
Goals: (F) Jake Russell, 5:08; (SV) Sean Flynn, 38:47; (F) Robert Fisher, 68:26. Assists: (F) Tyler Bolton, Brendan Cook; (SV) Michael Czulinski. Shots: (SV) 13; (F) 18. Saves: (SV) Davis Jenkins 5; (F) Adam Greene 8. Corner Kicks: (SV) 7; (F) 5. Offsides: (SV) 3; (F) 2. Fouls: (SV) 8; (F) 9. Halftime: SV 1-1 F. Records: SV (10-6); F (3-0-2).

MATCH #3 – THE CAGE
Brookland-Cayce 1-2 Kelly Walsh (WY)
Goals: (BC) Tim Duzan, 49:40; (KW) Sean Bell, 65:49; (KW) Kevin Bell, 79:57. Assists: (KW) Luke Underwood. Shots: (BC) 6; (KW) 16. Saves: (BC) JC Gypin 8; (KW) Zack Johnson 3. Corner Kicks: (BC) 2; (KW) 5. Offsides: (BC) 4; (KW) 1. Fouls: (BC) 5; (KW) 9. Halftime: BC 0-0. Records: BC (8-7-1); KW (2-0-1).

MATCH #1 - EAGLE STADIUM
Dorman 5-0 Airport
Goals: (D) Thomas Acosta, 18'; (D) Andrew Autenzio, 29'; (D) Acosta, 36'; (D) Michael Essman, 56'; (D) Ben Hess, 76'; Assists: (D) Will Cannon, David Corso. Shots: (D) 17; (A) 7. Saves: (D) Eric Lee 5; (A) Tyler Newton 5. Corner Kicks: (D) 2; (A) 0. Offsides: (D) 2; (A) 1. Fouls: (D) 13; (A) 11. Halftime: D 3-0 A. Records: D (9-5); A (4-8).

MATCH #2 - EAGLE STADIUM
Dutch Fork 2-0 Wando
Goals: (DF) Michael Sullivan, 50'; (DF) Robbie Birnie, 59'; Assists: (DF) Danny Cates. Shots: (DF) 6; (W) 2. Saves: (DF) Jason McCabe 1; (W) Michael Flato 3. Corner Kicks: (DF) 3; (W) 3. Offsides: (DF) 2; (W) 1. Fouls: (DF) 10; (W) 20. Halftime: DF 0-0 W. Records: DF (11-4); W (12-4).

MATCH #3 - EAGLE STADIUM
Lexington 2-2 Christian Brothers (TN)
Goals: (L) Reed Callison, 16'; (L) Paul Fisher, 19'; (CB) Logan Magness, 47'; (CB) Will Gallagher, 73'; Assists: (L) Jason Yonge. Shots: (L) 7; (CB) 10. Saves: (L) Tanner Osborne 6; (CB) Keegan Graham 2. Corner Kicks: (L) 2; (CB) 6. Offsides: (L) 2; (CB) 1. Fouls: (L) 14; (CB) 6. Halftime: L 2-0 CB. Records: L (11-3-1); CB (2-0-3).
4/5/07

Match #1 - Farragut (TN) 3-0 Dorman
Match #2 - Lexington 3-2 Pinewood Prep
Match #3 - Airport 1-4 Spring Valley
Match #4 - Christian Brothers (TN) 2-1 Northwestern

Match #1 - Daniel 3-2 Norman North (OK)
Match #2 - Riverside 2-0 Kelly Walsh (WY)
Match #3 - Wando 5-0 Daniel
Match #4 - Fort Mill 1-0 Brookland-Cayce
Match #5 - Norman North (OK) 0-1 Dutch Fork

MATCH #1 - THE CAGE
Daniel 3-2 Norman North (OK)
Goals: (D) Stephen Tolan, 22:35; (D) Seth Kulasekera, 25:07; (NN) Kalen Ryden, 28:13; (D) Austin Abellana, 48:09; (NN) Will Dakil, 65:56; Assists: (D) Zach Owen; (NN) Blake Ward. Shots: (D) 7; (NN) 11. Saves: (D) Jeremy Schmutz 7; (NN) Matt Strait 3. Corner Kicks: (D) 2; (NN) 2. Offsides: (D) 1; (NN) 4. Fouls: (D) 8; (NN) 9. Halftime: D 2-1 NN. Records: D (11-3); NN (3-3).

MATCH #2 - THE CAGE
Riverside 2-0 Kelly Walsh (WY)
Goals: (R) Chuck King, 23:00; (R) Kyle Rodgers, 57:06; Shots: (R) 17; (KW) 2. Saves: (KW) Zack Johnson 7. Corner Kicks: (R) 5; (KW) 1. Offsides: (R) 4. Fouls: (R) 12; (KW) 16. Halftime: R 1-0 KW. Records: R (11-1); KW (2-1-1).

MATCH #3 - THE CAGE
Wando 5-0 Daniel
Goals: (W) Brian Anderson, 16:54; (W) Andrew Eppelsheimer, 57:31; (W) Nick Selby, 63:01; (W) Josh Gross, 73:33; (W) Josh Gross, 77:35; Assists: (W) Ralph Lundy; Shots: (W) 20; (D) 6. Saves: (W) Michael Flato 4; (D) Jeremy Schmutz 11. Corner Kicks: (W) 3; (D) 2. Offsides: (D) 1; (W) 2. Fouls: (D) 13; (W) 10. Halftime: W 1-0 D. Records: W (9-4-2); D (11-4).

MATCH #4 - THE CAGE
Fort Mill 1-0 Brookland-Cayce
Goals: (FM) Harrison Totherow, 14:40; Assists: (FM) Ryan Fielden; Shots: (F) 12; (B-C) 4. Saves: (FM) Sean Van Etten 2; (B-C) J.C. Guypin 6. Corner Kicks: (FM) 5; (B-C) 1. Fouls: (FM) 18; (B-C) 13. Halftime: FM 1-0 B-C. Records: FM (11-4); B-C (8-8-1).

MATCH #5 - THE CAGE
Dutch Fork 1-0 Norman North
Goals: (DF) Ryan Martin, 41:15; Shots: (DF) 5; (NN) 4. Saves: (DF) Jason McCabe 2; (NN) Matt Strait 2. Corner Kicks: (NN) 3. Fouls: (DF) 14; (NN) 16. Halftime: NN 0-0 DF. Records: DF (11-4); NN (3-4).

MATCH #1 - EAGLE STADIUM
Farragut (TN) 3-0 Dorman
Goals: (F) Brendan Cook, 4'; (F) Kevin Underwood, 7'; (F) Trevor Grieco, 65'. Assists: (F) Ben Backstrom. Shots: (F) 9; (D) 5. Saves: (F) Adam Greene 4; (D) Eric Lee 1. Corner Kicks: (F) 2; (D) 2. Offsides: (F) 4; (D) 0. Fouls: (F) 11; (D) 7. Halftime: F 2-0 D. Records: F (3-0-2); D (9-6).

MATCH #2 - EAGLE STADIUM
Lexington 3-2 Pinewood Prep
Goals: (L) Israel Ngong, 25'; (PP) Malcolm Reed, 49'; (L) Reel Callison, 52'; (L) Kevin Orzech, 59'; (PP) Carlos Grover, 69'; Assists: (PP) Reed. Shots: (L) 9; (PP) 12. Saves: (L) Tanner Osborne 5; (PP) JD Spearman 4. Corner Kicks: (L) 4; (PP) 3. Offsides: (L) 0; (PP) 1. Fouls: (L) 9; (PP) 17. Halftime: L 1-0 PP. Records: L (12-3-1); PP (11-5).

MATCH #3 - EAGLE STADIUM
Spring Valley 4-1 Airport
Goals: (A) Kobie Liscusky, 25'; (SV) Zach Houghton, 53'; (SV) Kris Hartvigsen, 57'; (SV) #4, 58'; (SV) Josh Mitchell, 75'; Assists: (SV) Sean Flynn. Shots: (A) 3; (SV) 14. Saves: (SV) Davis Jenkins 1; (A) Tyler Newton 6. Corner Kicks: (A) 0; (SV) 6. Offsides: (SV) 4; (A) 1. Fouls: (SV) 7; (A) 8. Halftime: SV 0-1 A. Records: SV (11-6); A (4-9).

MATCH #4 - EAGLE STADIUM
Christian Brothers (TN) 2-1 Northwestern
Goals: (N) Enzo Martinez, 40'; (CB) Brett Burana, 46'; (CB) J.J, Greer 77'; Assists: (N) Ryan Kropp. Shots: (N) 5; (CB) 6. Saves: (CB) Keegan Graham 2. Corner Kicks: (N) 8; (CB) 3. Offsides: (N) 8; (CB) 1. Fouls: (N) 13; (CB) 17. Halftime: CB 0-1 N. Records: CB (3-0-3); N (15-2).
Way to go Daniel!
Congrats on a solid win.
Lexington 3 PP 2
Looks like Norman North isnt the Norman North from past palmetto cups. I suppose the group of death is appearing to be group D.
I'm sold. Definitely will have to come out for Wando/Daniel.

Congratulations D-Dub!
Not the NN of past palmetto cups, but still very solid. Take nothing away from either team. NN is a very solid team, not as big as in the past, but still very athetic and skilled. But Daniel played excellent all game. They played with a lone striker up top, Tolan sp?, who give the NN defenders fits all day long with his speed. Daniel was able to control the midfield through the numbers advantage playing with 5 across the midfield and Seth (not even gonna try the last name) is easily one of the best central midfield players in terms of pure skill and his ability to keep possession for his team.
Wow sounds like Daniel has the potential to make a lot of noise in this tournament and in the second half of the season. It will be very interesting to see the score of their game with Wando. Dutch Fork now has the upper hand for the group as long as they can pull out wins against both NN and Daniel but thats not looking as easy as it once seemed.
Folks, after we resolved some technical difficulties we're back online live from the Press Box at Eagle Stadium! Please check the post eight posts prior to this one (near the bottom of page 10) for match updates from today as soon as we have time to post them throughout the tournament ... We have also updated the post from yesterday with box scores and match results. Hope to see you out at the Palmetto Cup this week!
both spring valley and dorman haven't rele impressed me much with the way they have been playing yes they won by convincing scores but both teams havent looked as sharpe as people have talked them up to be.
Does anybody have the story on how CB tamed NW to beat them 2-1? What tactics did they use?
How in the world did little Christian Brothers defeat NW ?? Looks like very interesting bracket as any of 3 teams could advance but Christian Brothers look like they are in the drivers seat. PP could be a spoiler though.
First goal for Spring Valley in the SV v Airport was Eamon Penland and not Zach Houghton.
christian brothers is a private school out of memphis similar 2 BE but alot better, CB played solid the whole game they marked up tight, they have good players in every position and they posses extremely well.
RE: Ahssoccer's comment that SV and Dorman hasn't impressed; my understanding is that Spring Valley started the second string.
Lexington has been playing flat this week, perhaps because they were totaly focused on NW. Now that NW has been beat, this may give the Wildcats a mental edge going in to tomorrows game. On the other hand, NW needs redemption and they have the talent to take it. I predict fireworks, low score and one of the best HS games of the year. I can't wait. I still say Lexington 1-0
NW should beat Lex by 3 goals from what I have seen so far.
Yes, but the second string was not scored on. SV didn't score until the 50th minute. As far as the NW/CB match...you have a case of some of the worst reffing in history from the shorter ref in that match. Enzo was carded just for an extremely mild protest. That ref was way out of line.
Griff the only thing you have seen so far is Pinewood get beat twice.
Dutch Fork 1
Norman North 0
Did Norman North finally come out to play or did Dutch Fork have one of those days when they decided not to play?
Is there anyway someone can post the order every group is in... and the points they have.
GROUP A
Kelly Walsh-WY (2-1-0), 4 GF, 4 GA, 16 PTS
Riverside (1-0-1), 3 GF, 1 GA, 13 PTS
Fort Mill (1-1-1), 3 GF, 3 GA, 13 PTS
Brookland-Cayce (0-2-0), 1 GF, 3 GA, 1 PTS

GROUP B
Dutch Fork (2-0-1), 6 GF, 3 GA, 23 PTS
Wando (2-1-0), 7 GF, 2 GA, 19 PTS
Daniel (1-1-1), 6 GF, 10 GA, 15 PTS
Norman North-OK (0-3-0), 2 GF, 6 GA, 2 PTS

GROUP C
Farragut-TN (3-0-0), 15 GF, 1 GA, 28 PTS
Dorman (2-1-0), 7 GF, 4 GA, 18 PTS
Spring Valley (1-2-0), 6 GF, 5 GA, 11 PTS
Airport (0-3-0), 1 GF, 19 GA, 1 PTS

GROUP D
Christian Brothers-TN (2-0-1), 6 GF, 4 GA, 21 PTS
Northwestern (2-1-0), 10 GF, 5 GA, 19 PTS
Lexington (1-1-1), 7 GF, 7 GA, 16 PTS
Pinewood Prep (0-3-0), 5 GF, 11 GA, 5 PTS

Current as of 9:00 PM on 4-6-07
Looks like the best way to beat NW is to be a bit physical. CB had 17 v. 13 fouls against NW. Plus CB is almost all seniors-
http://www.cbhs.org/athletics/soccer.aspx?type=Roster
I still think NN is better than their showing against Daniel. Obviously not the caliber of team they brought in years past, but still very solid. I guess we'll see after they play Wando today.
From what I saw NN and DF came to play, NN had something to prove after their loss to Daniel. The Wando NN game should be one to watch, wouldn't be suprised if either team won.
4/6/07 - This post will be updated throughout the day ...

Match #1 - Riverside 1:1 Fort Mill
Match #2 - Norman North (OK) 0:2 Wando
Match #3 - Airport 0:10 Farragut (TN)
Match #4 - Fort Mill 1:2 Kelly Walsh (WY)
Match #5 - Daniel 3:3 Dutch Fork

Match #1 - Christian Brothers (TN) 2:1 Pinewood Prep
Match #2 - Spring Valley 1:2 Dorman
Match #3 - Lexington 2:3 Northwestern
Match #4 - Riverside 0:1 Brookland-Cayce (40th Minute)

MATCH #1 - THE CAGE
Christian Brothers (TN) 2-1 Pinewood Prep
Goals: (PP) Blase Creech, 27:18; (CB) Peter O'Malley, 44:50. (CB) Brett Burana, 47:40; Shots: (PP) 10; (CB) 8. Saves: (PP) David Gardner 2; (CB) J.D. Spearman 2. Corner Kicks: (CB) 1; (PP) 1. Fouls: (CB) 16; (PP) 8. Halftime: P 1-0 CB. Records: CB (4-0-3); PP (11-6).

MATCH #1 - EAGLE STADIUM
Fort Mill 1-1 Riverside
Goals: (R) Matt Sluga, 51'; (FM) Joe Cahill, 75'. Assists: (FM) Anthony Patania; Shots: (FM) 1; (R) 10. Saves: (FM) Sean Van Etten 3. Corner Kicks: (FM) 1; (R) 4. Fouls: (FM) 12; (R) 16. Halftime: FM 0-0 R. Records: FM (11-4-1); R (11-1-1).

MATCH #2 - EAGLE STADIUM
Wando 2-0 Norman North (OK)
Goals: (W) Nick Selby, 13'; (W) Brian Anderson, 39'. Assists: (W) Andrew Eppelsheimer; Shots: (W) 3; (NN) 3. Saves: (W) Michael Flato 1. Corner Kicks: (W) 1; (NN) 1. Fouls: (W) 12; (NN) 9. Halftime: W 2-0 NN. Records: W (14-4); NN (3-5).
Halftime: Fort Mill 0, Riverside 0.

Somebody present please give us a little recap?
Riverside controlled most of the match. Fort Mill came out strong in the second half but failed to put a shot on goal until the last five minutes while the Warriors had 10. Matt Sluga scored an unassited goal in the 51st minute for Riverside. Fort Mill's Joe Cahill scored on an Anthony Patania assist in the 75th minute capitalizing on their only SOG to manage the draw against Riverside with the final 1:1.
Riverside has had this problem throughout the season so far. They are a well coached side, but the players haven't put together a full 2 halves of quality, and their finishing chances could be better. It will be interesting tonite to see how a "tired" Riverside squad plays against an inspired BC team with nothing to lose.

Riverside has to learn to "go for the jugular".
Riverside lost a very good forward this season due to school issues. I believe that this is a big factor in their ability to finish. Add this player to their lineup, and they are much more dangerous offensively.
You're absolutely right ! Hopefully Riverside will continue to improve and give a good defense of last year's crown.

And hopefully that young man they lost will get things right and come back next season....he's a great player.
what did he do? did he get expelled?
I am from TN. In fact I go to Farragut. I see that they will be going to the semis. Does anyone think they have a shot at winning? I think last year not many people thought they would do very well and they went to the championship game. Eventhough they ended up losing by 9 I, personally, felt like the trip was a success. I am hoping that Farragut doesn't have to play Christian Brothers in the semis. They are a great team. But does anyone think Farragut has a chance at winning the cup?
Farragut is in a pretty good spot right now...
...Only allowing 1 Goal in their pool!

Lexington, Farragut or CBA...Who will play Dutch Fork for the Championship???
Dorman 2
Spring Valley 1

Any update on the Lexington/Northwestern game?
I think Northwestern won 3-2. Go to the 5th post on page 13. It's being updated throughout the day.
Northwestern did win 3-2. All group standings are also posted above and the only undecided group is Group A which will be decided by the B-C v. Riverside match, currently at the half with B-C up 1-0. We will update as soon as we can, but it may be late tonight ...
looks like DF vs. Riverside in one semi and the two tennessee teams squarring off in the other.
What was the Riverside-BC final result? Who wins group A?
FRIDAY @ Eagle Stadium (Airport HS)
Fort Mill 1-1 Riverside
Wando 2-0 Norman North-OK
Farragut-TN 10-0 Airport
Kelly Walsh-WY 2-1 Fort Mill
Dutch Fork 3-3 Daniel

FRIDAY @ The Cage (Brookland-Cayce HS)
Christian Brothers-TN 2-1 Pinewood Prep
Dorman 2-1 Spring Valley
Northwestern 3-2 Lexington
Brookland-Cayce 1-1 Riverside

SATURDAY @ Eagle Stadium (Airport HS)
9:30 am -- SEMIFINALS -- Farragut-TN vs Christian Brothers-TN
11:30 am -- Airport (0-3) vs. Pinewood Prep (0-3)
1:30 pm -- Spring Valley (1-2) vs. Lexington (1-1-1)
3:30 pm -- Dorman (2-1) vs. Northwestern (2-1)

SATURDAY @ The Cage (Brookland-Cayce)
9:30 am -- SEMIFINALS -- Riverside vs Dutch Fork
12:30 pm -- Brookland-Cayce (0-2-1) vs. Norman North-OK (0-3)
2:30 pm -- Fort Mill (1-1-1) vs. Daniel (1-1-1)
4:30 pm -- Kelly Walsh-WY (2-1) vs. Wando (2-1)
7:00 pm -- CHAMPIONSHIP (Semifinals Winners)

FINAL GROUP STANDINGS
Group A -- Riverside (17), Kelly Walsh-WY (16), Fort Mill (13), Brookland-Cayce (5)
Group B -- Dutch Fork (23), Wando (19), Daniel (15), Norman North-OK (2)
Group C -- Farragut-TN (28), Dorman (18), Spring Valley (11), Airport (1)
Group D -- Christian Brothers-TN (21), Northwestern (19), Lexington (16), Pinewood Prep (5)
Wildcats fall short in upset bid
http://pd.thestate.com/sp?eId=17&ecId=17...ry%2F29629.html
Jim McLaurin, The State

Volunteers bound for Semifinals
http://pd.thestate.com/sp?eId=17&ecId=17...ry%2F29628.html
Jim McLaurin, The State
SATURDAY @ Eagle Stadium (Airport HS)
9:30 am -- SEMIFINALS -- Farragut-TN (0:1) (PK's 0-3) Christian Brothers-TN
11:30 am -- Airport (2:5) Pinewood Prep
1:30 pm -- Spring Valley (3:2) Lexington
3:30 pm -- Dorman (4:3) Northwestern

SATURDAY @ The Cage (Brookland-Cayce)
9:30 am -- SEMIFINALS -- Riverside (3:2) (PK's 4-3) Dutch Fork
12:30 pm -- Brookland-Cayce (0:4) Norman North-OK
2:30 pm -- Fort Mill (1:0) Daniel
4:30 pm -- Kelly Walsh-WY (0:2) Wando
7:00 pm -- CHAMPIONSHIP -- Christian Brothers (1:2) Riverside
Riverside-Dutch Fork result ?????
Riverside beats Dutch Fork in PK's. End 2 - 2 in regulation and remained tied at the end of OT. It took 8 kickers before the keeper for Riverside stopped the 8th kicker for DF and then made his PK for the win.

Go Warriors!!!!!
Riverside plays Christian Brothers (TN) in the finals at 7:00.
I knew I didn't want Farragut playing Christian Brothers
Great job by the Warriors ! Always feel pretty confident in pk's with our keepers !

Thx
All live updates and today's results are listed a few post up at the top of page 15...
What happened with Farragut and their PKs?
Keeper for Brothers was very big and intimidating. First 2 shots by Farragut were fairly well hit but he guessed correctly on the first and then when the second went up the middle he was still able to save it by shooting his left hand back. When the third kicker shot it was 3-0 and they were basically in a hopeless situation anyway, but the kicker stepped up and at the last second tried to adjust to the right and hit it about 5 yards wide of the goal. The keeper just really intimidated them. Farragut 3x should have won it in OT, but couldn't finish.

Who are we? Farragut!
Where we going? Far!
What do we got? Guts!

Still, good game by both, tired, teams.
Thanks. I was wondering what happened. Atleast Farragut doesn't have to play them any more and atleast it was closer than the last time these 2 teams played. Last time CB won 3-0. This time they won 3-0 but it was in PKs.
DF/Riverside game was very hard fought by both teams and both teams had real chances to put the game away but credit the players for making a good game out of tired legs
I heard that in the Farragut/Christian Brothers game that Farragut scored a goal but it was called back.. Anyone know anything about it?
The DF/Riverside game was a good game and both teams did have their chances but DF deserved to win that game. They outshot Riverside 9-3 in the second half and possessed the ball a lot more. Yet they never played with a killer instinct. Congratulations on the win for Riverside but DF had more oppurtunities to win the game.
I have to say that group D was definetely the toughest group. I think that NW and Lex came out of their clash tired and hurt... Another great tournament put together bythe Heisi's congratulations. I would very much recommend a 3 man ref system in the future if possible. There were plenty of times that the assigned staff was unable to keep up with play. my 2 cents
riverside 1 cbhs 1 28 minutes to go
riverside wins 2-1 over christian brothers
Congrats to Riverside......they are learning how to win close matches.
Regarding the goal called back, the AR called a foul just prior to the goal and the center official consulted with him after first pointing to midfield. The free kick in the other direction ensued ... Regarding a three-man crew -- if the teams who participate are willing to pay a little more in entrance fees, we would love to be able to have a three-man crew.

Congratulations to Riverside on their championship, and to Christian Brothers for their fine tournament performance. What a great assortment of teams! Two semi-final matches coming down to another version of the draw: the penalty kick shootout. And we haven't tallied everything up yet, but this was one of the most competitive years at the Palmetto Cup with very few one-sided Cup matches.

Many thanks go out to all who attended, and especially to those people who helped make this event possible! Good job, Kevin and Kyle!
What was the final outcome of the K/W vs. Wando game. The update page shows the score as 1-0 at the 40th minute. Did Wando win 1- 0?
Congrats to the Brothers on a fine showing even though they had 3 key starters(including an all state forward who was last year's top scorer)miss the entire tournament due to injuries.
Great game by both teams and congrats to Riverside, from my understanding and observations playing without their best player/forward. Anyone able to fill in why he was not with the team this weekend?
I have been lucky enough to play in big tournaments in SC, GA, and Alabama. I can't express what a outstanding effort the Heise family and staff do with this tournament. If anyone works harder and puts on a better one I for one would like to see it. They hold the line on cost so teams can participate and just bust it to make it the FINEST. Again congratulations on another fine job and their unselfesh promotion of High School Soccer in SC. No coach makes the sacrificies Kevin and Kyle do to promote all of our teams.
I couldn't agree more...

Definitely an unselfish act for the Love of the Sport!
Quote:

Farragut is in a pretty good spot right now...
...Only allowing 1 Goal in their pool!

Lexington, Farragut or CBA...Who will play Dutch Fork for the Championship???

Good call!
goes to show not to write riverside off spartan
Wando wins 2:0 over Kelly Walsh (WY).
When will the all-tournament team be posted?
High School Soccer Media -

The final day of the 2007 Palmetto Cup, hosted by Brookland-Cayce High School, concluded today with Riverside (Greer, SC) edging Christian Brothers (Memphis, TN) 2-1 in the championship held at The Cage on the campus of BCHS.

To reach the finals of the Palmetto Cup, Riverside slipped past Dutch Fork (Columbia, SC) 3-2 (4-3 pk), while Christian Brothers outlasted Farragut (Knoxville, TN) 1-0 (3-0 pk).

Listed below are the final standings and scores from the final day of the Palmetto Cup.

Saturday
Championship -- Riverside 2-1 Christian Brothers-TN
Semifinals -- Christian Brothers-TN 1-0 (3-0 PK) Farragut-TN
Semifinals -- Riverside 3-2 (4-3 PK) Dutch Fork
Pinewood Prep 5-2 Airport
Spring Valley 3-2 Lexington
Dorman 4-3 Northwestern
Norman North-OK 4-0 Brookland-Cayce
Fort Mill 1-0 Daniel
Wando 2-0 Kelly Walsh-WY

Standings
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Riverside (3-0-2), 9 GF, 5 GA, 37 points
2. Christian Brothers-TN (3-1-1), 8 GF, 6 GA, 30 points
3. Farragut-TN (3-1), 15 GF, 2 GA, 28 points
4. Dutch Fork (2-1-1), 8 GF, 6 GA, 25 points
5. Wando (3-1), 9 GF, 2 GA, 28 points
6. Dorman (3-1), 11 GF, 7 GA, 27 points
7. Northwestern (2-2), 13 GF, 10 GA, 22 points
8. Kelly Walsh-WY (2-2), 4 GF, 6 GA, 18 points
9. Fort Mill (2-1-1), 4 GF, 3 GA, 21 points
10. Spring Valley (2-2), 9 GF, 7 GA, 20 points
11. Lexington (1-2-1), 9 GF, 10 GA, 18 points
12. Daniel (1-2-1), 6 GF, 11 GA, 15 points
13. Pinewood Prep (1-3), 10 GF, 13 GA, 14 points
14. Norman North-OK (1-3), 6 GF, 6 GA, 12 points
15. Brookland-Cayce (0-3-1), 2 GF, 8 GA, 5 points
16. Airport (0-4), 3 GF, 24 GA, 3 points

The Palmetto Cup All-Tournament Team will be released when all of the coaches have replied to the tournament questionnaire.

Thanks for your coverage of prep athletics!

Kyle Heise, Director
2007 Palmetto Cup
State report on the Riverside Championship win.

http://www.thestate.com/197/story/30242.html
Congratulations to Riverside and Coach Nick Finotti on the Palmetto Cup Championship!

The tournament was a huge success and thanks to all of the teams that participated and the terrific Palmetto Cup staff that logged some long hours the past week.
StudentSportsSoccer.com -- Palmetto Cup's Impact

April 4, 2007

Sheldon Shealer
StudentSportsSoccer.com Editor

The 16-team Palmetto Cup might have a major say in who is No. 1 in the FAB 50.

The 15th annual event brings four nationally ranked teams to South Carolina to mix it up with 12 local teams.

Beyond the obvious head-to-head importance of the competition, the Palmetto Cup results will have a ripple effect among the participating states - South Carolina, Tennessee and Oklahoma.

In addition, Kelly Walsh from Wyoming is making an appearance at the event, and while no Wyoming program has ever made the FAB 50, this will be Kelly Walsh's chance.

The key teams in this year's tournament are Norman North (Okla.), Farragut (Tenn.), Christian Brothers (Tenn.), and the top three South Carolina teams - Northwestern, Wando and Lexington.

Northwestern won last year's event, which justified not only the team's standing nationally, but helped South Carolina's case across the board. Norman North won in 2004 and 2005, both times leading to high FAB 50 finishes for the eventual Oklahoma state champion.
2007 Tournament Scores & Results

Wednesday, April 4
Christian Brothers-TN 2-2 Lexington
Dorman 5-0 Airport
Dutch Fork 2-0 Wando
Farragut-TN 2-1 Spring Valley
Kelly Walsh-WY 2-1 Brookland-Cayce

Thursday, April 5
Christian Brothers-TN 2-1 Northwestern
Daniel 3-2 Norman North-OK
Dutch Fork 1-0 Norman North-OK
Farragut-TN 3-0 Dorman
Fort Mill 1-0 Brookland-Cayce
Lexington 3-2 Pinewood Prep
Riverside 2-0 Kelly Walsh-WY
Spring Valley 4-1 Airport
Wando 5-0 Daniel

Friday, April 6
Brookland-Cayce 1-1 Riverside
Christian Brothers-TN 2-1 Pinewood Prep
Daniel 3-3 Dutch Fork
Dorman 2-1 Spring Valley
Farragut-TN 10-0 Airport
Fort Mill 1-1 Riverside
Kelly Walsh-WY 2-1 Fort Mill
Northwestern 3-2 Lexington
Wando 2-0 Norman North-OK

Saturday, April 7
#13-16, Norman North-OK 4-0 Brookland-Cayce
#13-16, Pinewood Prep 5-2 Airport
#9-12, Fort Mill 1-0 Daniel
#9-12, Spring Valley 3-2 Lexington
#5-8, Dorman 4-3 Northwestern
#5-8, Wando 2-0 Kelly Walsh-WY
#1-4, Semifinals -- Riverside 3-2 (4-3 pk) Dutch Fork
#1-4, Semifinals -- Christian Brothers-TN 1-0 (3-0 pk) Farragut-TN
#1-2, Championship -- Riverside 2-1 Christian Brothers-TN
well i guess this proves to all those 4a lovers out there that there are 3a teams that are just as good if not better than the top 4a teams
Sideline I agree......3A is just as good if not better. Riverside won without there best forward too which makes it even more impressive.
Obviously, anyone who knows soccer in SC knows that 4A vs 3A is an arbitrary comparison. The best teams, regardless of the size of their school are based on the quality of coaching, and the quantity of talented "club" players they can put on the field.

These national polls, etc. are nice, but they're done by folks who've never seen the teams play. There are several consistently high quality SC high school teams, NW, Irmo, Lex, SV, Wando, DF in 4A, and Riverside, Greenville, Eastside, in 3A. It's a product of the player pool from the clubs like CESA, CSC, Lex, Charlotte clubs, and the new Bridge club in Chas.
Collegiate Coaches in attendance at the Palmetto Cup
Mark Berson, University of South Carolina
Scott Calabrese, East Tennessee State University
Ed Joyce, Presbyterian College
Troy Lesesne, College of Charleston
Ralph Lundy, College of Charleston
Gary Lynch, USC Upstate
Bert Molinary, University of South Carolina
Alex Maslow, University of South Carolina
Kevin Varnado, Francis Marion University
Notes, Quotes, Quips, & Zingers from the Palmetto Cup

One of the great things about the Palmetto Cup is the camaraderie of the coaches, volunteers, and soccer fans that convene to talk and watch soccer, discuss current goings-on, and, in general, have a good time in a relaxed atmosphere.

This post will surely be followed up by others that joined in on the fun either at The Cage or Eagle Stadium. Basically what happens is that each press box is an "anything goes" type of setting and a lot of information is shared by all and no one is beyond reproach or ribbing.

"Good evening!" -- a zinger applied to any line that was deemed sarcastic and on-point by that particular person shouting out this popular phrase.

This leads us to another call that was echoed only 10,000 times over the past four days. "That's a true statement", which was followed closely by the saying, "That's a fact" -- both introduced by David Easley, aka, "D-EZ" or the "Governor".

He ain't no Palmer Dill! This comment was started by me after I saw a goalkeeper flub an easy shot that almost went into the goal. Dill was an All-Tournament selection a year ago for Daniel HS and a very solid high school keeper. After that was blurted out, then anytime a goalkeeper struggled with a play someone would yell out this phrase.

One coach was asked if he had ever played college soccer in the state of Texas of which he quickly replied, "No way, not me. There's only two things in Texas ..." and he quickly turned and walked away. CLASSIC!

"Hey Marcus, you got that new 'get in my car'?" I don't know what this is all about, but it's something on YouTube concerning a cartoon guy that keeps getting arrested.

Some of the chants from the stadium stands left them ringing in our heads. Anyone hear, "Let's go Daniel", bellowed in a deep and gutteral voice. How about, "Come on Brothers", ad nauseum. While going to collect game balls after the final match Thursday night at Airport a disgruntled Northwestern fan called to the match officials huddled at midfield, "Hey ref" -- to which no one acknowledged. But, upon his second "Hey ref", drew the stare of three officials and an on-looker, the fan retorted "You suck"!. One of the referees responded, "Yes, I know that. Can you come up with something original next time?"

Many a reference was made about the "angry German Cubs fan" that is so popular on YouTube. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean, but for those that don't, look it up. This kid is hilarious and I've been a Cubs fan since 1982, so it makes perfect sense, too. A Cardinals fan is responsible for the subtitles and they are brilliant.

Hey 'Q' if you are reading this down in Jamaica over the next week, then you know what to do :-)!

I'll add more when I think of them and I'm sure others will contribute to this thread as well.
"Hey, this is Kyle. I'm 36 and single. Are you Asian?" - unknown

"Marcus is about to have to go unload" - Mr. Heise

"This ain't no elephant ride" - unknown

"#12, Osama Bin Laden" - unknown

"Looks like they trained hard in the off season because last year Farragut came in here and got beat like Rodney King." - unknown

I'll think of some more soon.
I stated before the 2007 Palmetto Cup that I thought this field would be the most competitive that we have ever had in the tourney's 15-year history.

Well, after tallying up these statistics from the four-day event, I think it shows you just how tough this event was for the participating teams. Not one squad came through unscathed (loss or tie) and in reality (real soccer records), the tournament champion, Riverside, was 2-0-3 in its five games. That's strong!

Just goes to prove that in this kind of setting that the important thing to do is to 'get a result' in each match. That gives you a chance in advancing through your group!

Matches Decided by # of Goals:
0 = 6 (18.2%), 4 in group play
1 = 15 (45.5%), 11 in group play
---------------------------------
2 = 4 (12.1%), 3 in group play
3 = 3 (9.1%), 2 in group play
4 = 2 (6.1%), 1 in group play
5+ = 3 (9.1%), 3 in group play

So, of the 33 matches played 63.6% of the matches were decided by one goal or ended in draws. The Semifinals were both decided via penalty kick shootouts.

Whew!
2007 Palmetto Cup All-Tournament Team
4 - Riverside (Champion)
3 - Christian Brothers-TN (Runner-Up)
2 - Dutch Fork, Farragut-TN (Semifinalists)
1 - all other teams

Andy Barbieri, Sophomore, Defender, Fort Mill
Sean Bell, Junior, Kelly Walsh-WY
Brett Burana, Senior, Midfielder, Christian Brothers-TN
Russ Coleman, Senior, Norman North-OK
Jeff Day, Senior, Forward, Riverside
Andrew Eppelsheimer, Senior, Midfielder, Wando
Sean Flynn, Junior, Forward, Spring Valley
Keagan Graham, Senior, Goalkeeper, Christian Brothers-TN
Adam Greene, Senior, Goalkeeper, Farragut-TN
JC Gypin, Senior, Goalkeeper, Brookland-Cayce
Seth Kulasekera, Senior, Midfielder, Daniel
Enzo Martinez, Sophomore, Midfielder, Northwestern
Pete O'Malley, Senior, Midfielder, Christian Brothers-TN
Kevin Orzech, Senior, Forward, Lexington
Aaron Peter, Junior, Defender, Riverside (Most Valuable Player)
Malcolm Reed, Sophomore, Pinewood Prep
Kyle Rodgers, Senior, Midfielder, Riverside
Jake Russell, Senior, Midfielder, Farragut-TN
Josh Shockley, Senior, Goalkeeper, Riverside
Brandon Verano, Freshman, Midfielder, Airport

This will be updated as we receive the selections. We're waiting on: Dorman; and Dutch Fork.
Newsaper Coverage

4/8/07
Riverside lets loose in second half against Memphis team
http://pd.thestate.com/sp?eId=17&ecId=18...ry%2F30242.html
John Devlin, The State

4/7/07
Wildcats fall short in upset bid
http://pd.thestate.com/sp?eId=17&ecId=18...ry%2F29629.html
Jim McLaurin, The State

4/7/07
Volunteers bound for semifinals
http://pd.thestate.com/sp?eId=17&ecId=18...ry%2F29628.html
Jim McLaurin, The State

4/6/07
Bearcats make visitors feel at home
http://pd.thestate.com/sp?eId=17&ecId=18...ry%2F28612.html
Stephen Fastenau, The State

4/4/07
Timing everything in Dutch Fork's tourney opener
http://pd.thestate.com/sp?eId=17&ecId=18...ry%2F27584.html
Akilah Imani Nelson, The State
Quote:

Notes, Quotes, Quips, & Zingers from the Palmetto Cup

"Good evening!" -- a zinger applied to any line that was deemed sarcastic and on-point by that particular person shouting out this popular phrase.

This leads us to another call that was echoed only 10,000 times over the past four days. "That's a true statement", which was followed closely by the saying, "That's a fact" -- both introduced by David Easley, aka, "D-EZ" or the "Governor".

I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) heard these multiple times just being near the pressbox.

I'm going to begin my banter-training now so next PC I'm in full form.
Who is the rest of the ALL Tournament team?
Kyle,

Riverside was 3-0-2 not 2-0-3 as you previously posted.

Thanks for a great tournament...you guys raise the bar very high.

Good luck the rest of the season.
GVLSoccerDad, Riverside was 3-0-2 overall, but in regulation/overtime the record would be 2-0-3 (penalty kicks in my opinion are a way to advance, but do not necessarily determine a "winner").

Thus, a 2-0-3 record (wins vs. Kelly Walsh-WY and Christian Brothers and ties with Fort Mill, Brookland-Cayce, and Dutch Fork) in "soccer terms".

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad y'all enjoyed the visit!
That's interesting...never heard of advancing via PK's being considered a tie. Ended up with the win that meant the most so I guess it doesn't really matter.
GVLSoccerDad -- The "advancing via penalty kicks" is a reference to the NCAA's way of deciding playoff advancment after overtime is utilized. In the NCAA, the games are recorded as ties and the PKs serve to simply advance a team. In the SCHSL, the games are recorded as wins/losses due to having to have a winner. Semantics.
Not sure why you are using an NCAA reference for an SCHSL game...but thanks for the explanation.
Individual Statistics Leaders

Goals - "Golden Boot"
Thomas Acosta (Dorman)
Brian Anderson (Wando)
Brett Burana (Christian Brothers)
Zack Clark (Northwestern)
Ryan Kropp (Northwestern)
Enzo Martinez (Northwestern)
Kevin Orzech (Lexington)
Blake Ward (Norman North-OK)
Andrew Autenzio (Dorman)
Ben Backstrom (Farragut-TN)
Sean Bell (Kelly Walsh-WY)
Vance Benson (Northwestern)
Reel Callison (Lexington)
Brendan Cook (Farragut-TN)
Michael Czulinski (Spring Valley)
Jeff Day (Riverside)
Michael Essman (Dorman)
Will Gallagher (Christian Brothers)
Josh Gross (Wando)
Carlos Grover (Pinewood Prep)
Seth Kulasekera (Daniel)
Logan Magness (Christian Brothers)
Ryan Martin (Dutch Fork)
Peter O'Malley (Christian Brothers)
Anthony Patania (Fort Mill)
Ben Riedmayer (Pinewood Prep)
Jake Russell (Farragut-TN)
Nick Selby (Wando)
Kevin Underwood (Farragut-TN)
Austin Abellana (Daniel)
Ben Allen (Pinewood Prep)
Veegan Amirkhanian (Daniel)
Michael Antinoro (Northwestern)
James Ballard (Dorman)
Derek Beamer (Kelly Walsh-WY)
Kevin Bell (Kelly Walsh-WY)
Robbie Birnie (Dutch Fork)
Rico Cabrera (Daniel)
Joe Cahill (Fort Mill)
Danny Cates (Dutch Fork)
Blase Creech (Pinewood Prep)
Will Dakil (Norman North-OK)
Tim Duzan (Brookland-Cayce)
Andrew Eppelsheimer (Wando)
Paul Fisher (Lexington)
Robert Fisher (Farragut-TN)
Sean Flynn (Spring Valley)
Eric Fornell (Wando)
Thomas Gorman (Lexington)
JJ Greer (Christian Brothers-TN)
Trevor Grieco (Farragut-TN)
Josh Grossbard (Farragut-TN)
Kris Hartvigsen (Spring Valley)
Ben Hess (Dorman)
Zack Houghton (Spring Valley)
Chuck King (Riverside)
Joe Kredich (Pinewood Prep)
Bo Lindsay (Dorman)
Kobie Liscusky (Airport)
Mark McGill (Lexington)
Wes McKinney (Airport)
Josh Mitchell (Spring Valley)
Michael Morguet (Riverside)
Israel Ngong (Lexington)
Eamon Penland (Spring Valley)
Aaron Peter (Riverside)
Malcolm Reed (Pinewood Prep)
Kyle Rodgers (Riverside)
Kevin Ryan (Riverside)
Kalen Ryden (Norman North-OK)
Justin Schaeffer (Norman North-OK)
Robby Setzler (Brookland-Cayce)
Josh Shockley (Riverside)
Griff Sims (Airport)
Matt Sluga (Riverside)
Austin Smith (Dutch Fork)
Andrew Stanton (Dutch Fork)
Ryan Stinton (Farragut-TN)
Michael Sullivan (Dutch Fork)
Joe Sweet (Pinewood Prep)
Stephen Tolan (Daniel)
Harrison Totherow (Fort Mill)
Wes Turner (Dorman)
Brian Wedell (Dutch Fork)
#4 (Spring Valley)

Assists
Danny Cates (Dutch Fork)
Zack Clark (Northwestern)
Andrew Autenzio (Dorman)
Travis Bolton (Farragut-TN)
Brendan Cook (Farragut-TN)
Andrew Eppelsheimer (Wando)
Ryan Kropp (Northwestern)
Ralph Lundy (Wando)
Enzo Martinez (Northwestern)
Antoine Parris (Spring Valley)
Tyler Swift (Farragut-TN)
Ben Backstrom (Farragut-TN)
Robbie Birnie (Dutch Fork)
Will Cannon (Dorman)
Russ Coleman (Norman North-OK)
David Corso (Dorman)
Michael Czulinski (Spring Valley)
Michael Essien (Dorman)
Shawn Ferguson (Northwestern)
Ryan Fielden (Fort Mill)
Robert Fisher (Farragut-TN)
Sean Flynn (Spring Valley)
JJ Greer (Christian Brothers)
Travis Grieco (Farragut-TN)
Drew Howell (Lexington)
Seth Kulasekera (Daniel)
Zack Owen (Daniel)
Anthony Patania (Fort Mill)
Malcolm Reed (Pinewood Prep)
Jake Russell (Farragut-TN)
Will Stillman (Northwestern)
Hunter Sturkie (Pinewood Prep)
Kevin Underwood (Farragut-TN)
Luke Underwood (Kelly Walsh-WY)
Brodie Wall (Brookland-Cayce)
Blake Ward (Norman North-OK)
Jason Yonge (Lexington)

Saves
29, JC Gypin (Brookland-Cayce)
26, Tyler Newton (Airport)
24, Jeremy Schmutz (Daniel)
22, Matt Essman (Dorman)
19, Tanner Osborne (Lexington)
15, Adam Greene (Farragut-TN)
14, Keagan Graham (Christian Brothers)
14, Zack Johnson (Kelly Walsh-WY)
12, JD Spearman (Pinewood Prep)
10, Michael Flato (Wando)
9, Josh Shockley (Riverside)
8, Sean Van Etten (Fort Mill)
7, Will Frierson (Spring Valley)
7, Davis Jenkins (Spring Valley)
7, Jason McCabe (Dutch Fork)
6, Matt Strait (Norman North-OK)
4, Ryan Foster (Northwestern)
1, Matthew Wenger (Airport)
-Mr. Heise

I hate to be picky especially since I'm not a regular on here and probly won't be on many more times but..
I thought Ben Backstrom for Farragut scored 3 goals against Aiport and that Brendan Cook scored 3(1 vs. Dorman, 2 vs. Airport) goals for Farragut also. and Robert Fisher scored twice (1 vs.Airport and 1 vs. SV)
Back to the Quotes from the weekend:

"The combined ages of these two referees are 40." -Unknown

"Jess Makie just got put on skates and destroyed." -Unknown

"If I know it was going to be this cold I would have planned a trip to Alaska during the winter time, HAHAHHAHAHAHA." - White People

"I'll take Preston Myers over Enzo Martinez." "YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND." -Unknown

"I Like that look." -Unknown

"CAGED" -Everyone(referencing the narrowness of the Cage at Brookland-Cayce)
Kyle- have there been anymore updates on the all tournament team and if not when do you think the majority of the coaches will send in their players selected
"hmm...lake girls" -unknown

"Now that the second official is here we can start the match" -Kyle Heise referencing the 30 minute late official. The horn was being blown constantly upon his arrival.

"There goes the hardest working man at the Palmetto Cup." -unknown

"Look at Kevin over there givin the workers shirts. Gettin PAID, gettin PAID."
-unkown

"We would like to remind all fans that there will be no standing along the fence. That is no standing along the fence during the matches. Thank You." -Kyle Heise announcing to the 3 illiterate Norman North fans who heckled the officials and opposing team/fans during their loss to Daniel. Also of note, they were standing literally infront of, leaning up against actually, a white sign that said "No standing by the fence please."

"Actually, no one has scored on us yet this year! We've lost 2 games in PKs and they were 0-0 at the end of regulation." - a bigtiming director of soccer from Norman North shortly before their loss to Daniel.

"Think you're something. Then come to this tournament to get set straight" -Kyle Heise
"Coaches shouldn't be in it just for State Championships."
I kind of liked this one: "Hey ref, if I did my job like you did yours, I'd be fired" said by a fan. Then the ref went and carded the coach and told the coach to calm down. Weird huh? I'm still trying to figure that one out from the stands.
Wasn't that during an Airport match and the Airport coach got carded?
"Alright, We'll holla at ya. Be Easy." -Palmetto Cup Staff Worker

"Taylor, did you bring a date for the Championship game of the Palmetto Cup?" Taylor responds, "Yeah I brought Brodie's sister. HAHAHAHHAHAAHA"

"Memphis Tenn representin Baby." -Unknown

"Danny Cates look like a highlighter." -Unknown
After a foul was called, a ref warned the players with "This isn't NASCAR. We're not here to trade paint."
That post will be updated as we receive the names.
quick question on the keeper stats...doesn't frierson play for SV and not Lex?
Regarding Kyle's 'Notes, Quotes, Quips, & Zingers from the Palmetto Cup': That's a fact.

PS - Glad you're here DE

PPS - Gotta have thick skin around here ...

------------------------------------------------------
Only in the Prem can a club best a team that is #1 and subsequently lose to the team nearest relegation -- just ask Pompey!
I just want to take the time to thank the Heise's for an excellent run tournament. It shows great passion for soccer in the state of South Carolina to be able to put together a tournament paralleled to none other. You guys are top notch.
The All-Tournament Team has been updated. 10 teams have responded thus far. Check the bottom of page 18 for the squad.
Time to plan for Sweet 16
http://pd.thestate.com/sp?eId=17&ecI...ry%2F33291.html
Jim McLaurin, The State
We're still waiting on five teams for their All-Tournament selections (listed at the bottom of page 18 in this thread).
Quote:

Back to the Quotes from the weekend:

"Jess Makie just got put on skates and destroyed." -Unknown

From todays State newspaper http://www.thestate.com/197/story/33289.html
Still waiting on: Airport; Dorman; Dutch Fork; and Kelly Walsh-WY.
Still waiting on Dorman, Dutch Fork, and Kelly Walsh-WY.
Can we get a refresh on the list for all tourny team please that would be cool so we dont have to look for it.
4 - Riverside (Champion)
3 - Christian Brothers-TN (Runner-Up)
2 - Dutch Fork, Farragut-TN (Semifinalists)
1 - all other teams

Sean Bell, Junior, Midfielder, Kelly Walsh-WY
Danny Cates, Junior, Midfielder, Dutch Fork
Jason McCabe, Senior, Goalkeeper, Dutch Fork

This will be updated as we receive the selections. We're waiting on Dorman and Kelly Walsh-WY.
Only waiting on Dorman and Kelly Walsh-WY now.
Kelly Walsh-WY has submitted their player and Dorman will send their selection in this evening.
Sean Bell, Junior, Midfielder, Kelly Walsh-WY
Danny Cates, Junior, Midfielder, Dutch Fork
Evan Koening, Junior, Defender Dorman
Jason McCabe, Senior, Goalkeeper, Dutch Fork

The All-Tournament Team has been completed. Thanks to all the teams participating in the 2007 Palmetto Cup and congratulations to all the players mentioned above!
Norman North is currently 13-5 and in the Oklahoma state playoffs semifinals.
Congratulations to the following 2007 Palmetto Cup participants that have advanced to the S.C. state semifinals:

4A - Spring Valley / Wando and either Lexington or Northwestern
3A - Riverside
2008 Committed Teams - Airport, Bishop England, Brookland-Cayce, Cardinal Newman, Cullman-AL, Dutch Fork, Fort Mill, Lexington, Norman North-OK, Spring Valley, Wando.

We still have offers out to several schools (some out of state). Christian Brothers-TN is pending a trip to Brazil during spring break, if not approved/worked out, they'll return to the Palmetto Cup. South Anchorage-AK is working on coming back in '08 as well, but pending approval.

More to come.
I just thought that I would tell you all if you didn't know.

Farragut(TN) who participated in the Palmetto Cup this year won the AAA State Championship yesterday in Tennessee. They defeated an arch-rival Bearden(TN),defending state champion, team who was 26-2, and finished the season 26-3-0, with 2 losses coming to Farragut. Farragut finished the season with a record of 19-3-5(this is counting the Palmetto Cup Christian Brothers game which some say was a tie, and PKs were to advance and some say it makes it a loss, but either way on Eurosportscoreboard they have it as a tie), 2 of those losses coming to the Bearden(TN) team which they defeated in the finals. Farragut also tied a Harrison(GA) team which won the AAAAA State Championship in Georgia. Farragut also tied a CAK(TN) team who just won their fifth consecutive state championship in Tennessee.

Christian Brothers(TN) was not so lucky. They lost yesterday to Baylor(TN) 1-0 in the championship game. Not 100% on their official final record, but it was something like 21-2-3.
Thanks for the update! From the news story (below), it looks like it was a great match. Look forward to having Farragut back at the Palmetto Cup next year.

Farragut does it for Brooke, 5-4
News Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)

2008 Palmetto Cup
http://www.wbir.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=45643
look on the right where it says click here to view the video and click it to view the video. This should show the game winning goal in the 78th minute from a free kick just outside the box. I believe there are a few other goals on there as well. It was definitely the best game, of any sport, that I have ever been to and possible seen. 2 goals in about 30 seconds against probably the best keeper in the state of TN. It was one for the ages.

I love the first 2 sentences of the article in the link I gave above. "Bearden and Farragut are separated by five miles. Too bad the fans had to drive 181 miles to see their Class AAA State Championship game."

http://www.volunteertv.com/sports/headlines/7703682.html Just click the video link at the top of the page, or you might be able to watch it on the right hand side. Here is another video that shows 3 goals, including a nice header that if I remember correctly put Farragut up 4-2 with about 17 or so minutes left in the game.
© SC Soccer