SC Soccer
Posted By: Cristiano Ronaldo 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 06:30 PM
any one has perdictions for 4a rankings?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 07:03 PM
1. Northwestern

(somebody else pick #2......, etc).
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 07:20 PM
Hurst,

I am curious if your prediction is based on putting last years champ automatically #1, or if you really think they should be ranked that high. I can't see how you could put them that high given all the starters they lost from last year. Not saying that they won't be good, but I'm wondering if your wearing purple under the Fort Mill colors.

Or maybe you just like to stir the pot a little...
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 07:31 PM
CF....they have the best player in the state (who also happens to be a great goalscorer) and they still have a very good supporting cast. Coach is very good. They've been to the state final (I think) each of the past three years. I don't think I'm going too far out on the limb. Not saying they are a lock, but......

Who do you have for #2?
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 07:39 PM
I'll give you Wando for #2, but my #1 is Lex. They are solid all around, and they return their defense. NW can't say that. NW had some tight games in the playoffs last year and I don't think they are at the same talent level. I'm sure they'll reload to a certain extent, but scoring will only get them so far...
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 07:43 PM
Then you should have listed Lex as #2
Posted By: who_me? Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 07:45 PM
I think Northwestern still has the talent & firepower to keep their #1 ranking at least starting out. After that, Wando,Dorman, Lexington, SV and you pick your order. Dutch Fork should probably start out high too with some of the club players they field. But lots of people look "should be good" on paper, so let's see what happens. For my money, Lexington vs Northwestern for the Upstate (as a rematch from he Palmetto Cup)is going to be a game worth traveling to see and probably better than the winner vs. SV at Stone.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 07:45 PM
I'll do that.

#1 seeds rarely start and finish #1 anyway.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 08:06 PM
Didn't Dutch Fork start out as #1 last year?
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 08:09 PM
My point exactly.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 08:13 PM
hurst #1 - Northwestern
cflag #2 - Lexington
who me #3 - Wando

.....who is chiming in with the #4?
Posted By: who_me? Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 08:23 PM
Do you want preseason or year end?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 08:31 PM
Preseason....need somebody to chime in with #4.
Posted By: who_me? Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 08:40 PM
Preseason:
1.Northwestern

2.Wando -

3.SV (Player losses too significant to hold onto #2 even for preseason ranking)

4.Lexington Can't move higher than here from year end #8. Good on paper but lets see some goals and not shootout wins.

End of the Year:

1. Northwestern or Lexington
2. SV surprises Wando with youngsters to take lower State
3. Loser of #1
4. Wando
Posted By: Man City FC Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 08:43 PM
What no Mauldin? They lost to NW in the upper state it was a very good game as I recall. They also lost their coach and I don't know anything about the new coach,only that he is a teacher at the school. I guess they will need to fight their way into the rankings this year.
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 09:12 PM
Preseason
1. Northwestern
2. Dutch Fork
3. Lexington

End of Season
1. Northwestern
2. Dutch Fork
3. ?
Posted By: who_me? Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 10:05 PM
Rick Bobby: It wasn’t until you jumped in and made me think of good ol boys that I noticed we are making perdictions instead of predictions. Does this give Lexington an edge?
Posted By: gerrard15 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 10:41 PM
what team in 4A could challenge NW in upstate?
Posted By: who_me? Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 10:55 PM
Lexington, Dorman, Mauldin.
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/19/07 11:33 PM
I think Northwestern will have what it takes to make it to the title game again. The road will be much harder with the trojans losing a core group of seniors and with the strengthening of Dorman, Mauldin, and Lexington. Don't understand estimate these boys or anyone else in the upstate. I look for the upstate to be the powerhouse this year.
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/20/07 07:43 AM
And yet I am correct. Northwestern is number one in the preseason 4A rankings. With the quality head coach they have, and the talented players, they should be able to contend for if not win the 4A state title.
Posted By: pappy15 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/22/07 04:18 PM
Im excited to see if Lexington and Gettys can put it together this year!
Posted By: kick_ball Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/22/07 10:08 PM
I think Lexington will be a very good squad...like all the teams they will have to stay focused and not get to hyped up on themselves. Lexington has a tough out of region schedule playing wando, northwestern, dorman, dutch fork, spring valley and a tough in region team with irmo. They will have to win these big games and not in shootouts.
Posted By: Striker33 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/23/07 03:05 PM
You have to like Northwestern, Lexington, and Dutch Fork.
Posted By: kick_ball Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/23/07 03:51 PM
no doubt there is going to be a good race for state this year... with a good nmber of teams who all have a shot.... which two do yall think will be playing in Stone in May?
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/24/07 03:26 AM
Northwestern and Dutch Fork

Enzo vs Cates
Posted By: futbolbeast9 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/24/07 02:49 PM
no no no.

1. Northwestern
2. Wando
3. Irmo
4. Spring Valley
5. Lexington
Posted By: kick_ball Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/24/07 03:01 PM
Irmo has lost a good number of people and i think they might be down a little this year so i dont think they should be ranked 3rd!
Posted By: AlbinoGrassFairy Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/24/07 03:59 PM
This year is Lexington's shot. They have many good players from the U-18 CUFC team and from the U-17 state champion Lexington team. The whole team is pretty much Juniors and Seniors. The only thing that they lack is an outstanding goalie.
Posted By: kick_ball Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/24/07 04:10 PM
Yes but dont they have a pretty good defense with..howell, howard, and younge
Posted By: AlbinoGrassFairy Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/24/07 04:14 PM
yes the defense is the core of the team with forward Callison. Orzech is also a great player.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/24/07 04:17 PM
To me, pre season rankings are about what looks good on paper. That may or may not translate into a good team, but when you look at the players coming back across the board, Wando and Lex look good on paper. NW has Kropp and Enzo, as well as some other skilled players, but losing the entire defense keeps them out the the #1 spot for me.

And Irmo, what does Irmo bring back that even puts them close to the top 5? I can think of a good number of teams that look better on paper than them.

I will say that upper state seems to have more of the top teams this year. Not so much from a ranking perspective, but more from a title shot perspective.
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/24/07 09:54 PM
Enzo is obviously Northwesterns best player with Vance Benson being a close second and Kropp coming in close at third.
Posted By: ALLSTAR Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/25/07 01:59 AM
Wando's got the title this year, they got a good team and a good coach. There going to surprise N.western in the final.
Posted By: the drop kick phenomenon Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/25/07 03:10 AM
I guess that lexington vs. wando game should be a good one then.
Posted By: kick_ball Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/25/07 03:04 PM
yeah i think that is one of ... if not the most intriguing pre-season game this year!
Posted By: ehs1 Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/25/07 06:06 PM
the wando tourney will be a very good evaluation of some of the top notch teams that are represented there
Posted By: futbolbeast9 Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/26/07 02:16 PM
from all the threads i have read, it sounds like Dutch Fork, Lexington, Northwestern, and SV should be the top contenders this year. Wando could always surprise people, but I'm gonna say...

1. Lexington
2. Dutch Fork
3. Northwestern
4. Spring Valley
5. Wando

for now...
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/26/07 02:44 PM
Although the Wando tournament has some quality teams and matches, you cannot lose the fact that it is a preseason tournament that may find some teams not having all their players due to Basketball, etc. or coaches experimenting with lineups. Most teams will have 1 or 2 scrimmages under their belt, certainly not a lot of time for cohesion.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/26/07 02:50 PM
What does Spring Valley bring back this year? Do they have a lot of returning players?
Posted By: TJ Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/26/07 03:50 PM
Simply put - from top to bottom - Lexington is the best team in the state. They don't have an "Enzo", but they return Graham Howard at Sweeper (probably the best defensive player in the state)and then Drew Howell and Jason Young - both returning seniors. They're going to be hard to score on.
Mid field will be strong again this year, but need more speed. Up top will be Callison and either Kevin Hoarsazk sp? or Chavarria - all returning starters. Lexington really only has one question - the goal keeper.
Posted By: kick_ball Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/26/07 03:55 PM
Lexington is going to have trouble at keeper which might hurt them alot. While their defense is very good and up front thier is alot of skill i think Lexington needs to chill and not think so much of themselves if they want to do well. They were a suprise last year knocking off some good teams... this year people might be gunning for them!
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/26/07 04:30 PM
Personally I do not see lex becoming to full of themselves. The keeper question is certainly an issue, but in my mind the team is a team not a few stars and others.

To me people are severely overlooking Dorman as a team to be reckoned with. Young last year with a quality coach in Osorio.
Posted By: who_me? Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/26/07 08:35 PM
Yes, Lexington has quality players returning, but the big question for me remains can they get the ball in when the chips are down. The Lex U17 challenge forwards scored a lot of goals in club this past fall, but will they be able to do as well in the high school season against more experienced ’88 defenders? As H.S. sophomores too many shots were missed. IMO they suffered both an experience and size disadvantage last spring. This should not be the case this year. Still, winning by shootouts isn’t going to cut it this year. No disrespect intended, I simply believe that no one in the state is going to give Lexington an inch of ground this year and that means the ball has to go in the net under pressure. Score 2 goals on Wando to survive, score 3 and I'll believe. Score 4 and I'll be a fan.

I though Orzack played defense for his club team?
Posted By: kick_ball Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/26/07 08:56 PM
Oh their was no disrespect intended towards lexington in fact i am hoping to see them do very well this year. i think Coach Gettys will have them ready in time. I hope that i can make it down and see the wando vs. lexington game i am sure it will be an awsome game!
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/26/07 09:10 PM
WM?.... Lets be clear on one thing.... this has been brought up over and over
Lexington went 19-5-2
W - South Aiken 4-3 in pks at a tournament
W - Ridge View 3-2 in OT
W - Irmo 2-1 in pks
L - Dorman 2-1 in pks
L - Dreher 4-3 in pks
That is a 3-2 record

So I do not understand about "winning in shootouts" as it is implied that they won most games in this manner. If anything it shows they were 0.500 (RV was in OT). they still manage to win 12 games outright by your definition.

Certainly they missed their opportunities last year. Will see if they have matured but enough

By contrast Dutch Fork went 7 times into OT , 5 of which wer pks. Irmo 3 pks
Posted By: who_me? Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/26/07 09:44 PM
Soccer(F)

I truly meant no disrespect to Lexington, earlier in this thread I picked them to win it all this year but I am from the side of the board that believes that championships are won on offense. Everyone seems to be focusing on their defense.

Yes Lexington has a great defense coming back, but I still think that to go that extra 5 miles to Stone they have to be a goal-scoring machine. They have some incredibly talented players in front, but I still want to know can they gel and get that ball in the net.

Yes, Lexington had a great season last year and I think the Northwestern game was one of the best in years. Yes, a win is a win but to be State Champs this year it is going to require some scoring domination on their part.

So I'll still say: score 2 to survive, three to impress and four to scare some people.
Posted By: WildcatSoccer Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/27/07 03:17 AM
The goalkeepers for Lexington are Tanner Osbourne who was second string last year and Tripp Roberson, who played JV last year. Both have talent and potential...just need some game experience.
Posted By: the drop kick phenomenon Re: 4a ranking perdictions? - 01/28/07 05:26 AM
Game experience which they don't have, if they arne't scoring three or four goals a game preseason, i can see them getting beat untill whoever is starting gains that experience.
Posted By: TJ Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/28/07 10:49 PM
I agree about most of the comments above with a few exceptions. One disagreement is with KickB

Quote:

While their defense is very good and up front thier is alot of skill i think Lexington needs to chill and not think so much of themselves if they want to do well.

Where is your evidence that Lexington is thinking so high of themselves? It's been a long time since I've been on the soccer field. Are you thinking I'm a Lex. player??

And two:(Sorry I don't know how to double quote) I agree and disagree with Who-me? Yes - for Lexington to win the state, they are definely going to have to learn to finish.
They've got some quality players up top - but they lack that dominating scorer. What I disagree with is Who me's? comment that championships are won on offensive. You're not going to find too many coaches that will agree with you on that. Yes - you can't win without scoring, but you surely can win if you can't stop scoring. I know the point you're making - but if I don't have a dominate back line - I'm not too excited about my chances.
Posted By: ehs1 Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/28/07 11:23 PM
everyone knows offense wins games, defense wins championships
Posted By: kick_ball Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/28/07 11:57 PM
TJ im sorry if you got the wrong idea... I wasnt accusing you of being a player or anything.... I wasnt even taking a shot at Lex. I have talked to some players from Lex and they just seem like they are already thinking they are in the championship game. (which btw I hope they get to) it was just a little thing I have observed with direct conversation with lex players
Posted By: the drop kick phenomenon Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/29/07 01:47 AM
if defense wins championships, and lexington's defense wasn't good enough to stop Northwestern last year, what makes anybody believe that this year will be different.
Posted By: ehs1 Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/29/07 02:03 AM
well obviously northwestern's D was good enough to stop Lex mauldin, and spring Valley's offense,

Championship teams have to be great all around,you only hear about the offense, but if NW had not have had a good D they would not of won the state championship.

Their Offense won the games, but the defense won the championship.

p.s. How many goals did NW have scored on them all year?
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/29/07 02:07 AM
Beware...Northwestern's defense will be more solid than people think...
Posted By: ALLSTAR Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/29/07 02:14 AM
im still sayin wando all the way
Posted By: ehs1 Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/29/07 02:18 AM
if ur gonna say something like tht , back it up with a fact or something
Posted By: who_me? Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/29/07 02:27 AM
I’ll say this so a Lexington player doesn’t have to. In the Northwestern playoff game last year the Lexington defense played a stellar game. Northwestern won off a well executed set play with some built in distractions. It was not indicative of the Lexington defensive play. (but it WAS beautiful). The second goal was a gimme for Enzo with everyone pushed up for an equalizer in the last minutes. Lexington D had nothing to be shamed of. For me, the big thing was Lexington’s inability to find the net. They had several opportunities that didn’t happen. I remember one rocket that went over the soccer net cross bar and under the goalpost cross bar. Crazy stuff.

Defense only wins championships when you have more goals
Posted By: kick_ball Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/29/07 03:26 PM
That is very true who_me? lex palyed a great game against a very good Northwestern team....Northwestern got a good goal off a set play and lex could not finish anything..... I think that the Northwestern vs. Lex game in the BC tourney is going to be a good one. But again it comes down to two things 1) CAN LEX FINISH and 2)LEX INEXPERIANCE AT KEEPER if they can solve those two things then they have a good shot at being a VERY competative team!
Posted By: AlbinoGrassFairy Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/29/07 03:51 PM
woot woot.
Posted By: Platini 10 Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/30/07 02:44 PM
Does anyone know the deal on Seanny Flynn and/or Parker Arnold? I have heard that they are not playing because of very serious off the field issues.
Posted By: Platini 10 Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/31/07 01:44 AM
Anybody know anything about that post before this?
Posted By: the drop kick phenomenon Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/31/07 01:58 AM
They both played for their club team in the state cup. The incident happend before then.
Posted By: ALLSTAR Re: 4a ranking predictions? - 01/31/07 02:26 AM
im sayin wando, based on the number of older players with experience, and the new and experienced coach.
© SC Soccer