SC Soccer
Posted By: randomguycoach Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 06:32 PM
In Dorman High School a young man name Jan Hernandez was said to be ineligible to play high school soccer. That is because he was unable to pass many of his class in mexico since he never went to school there before. I think that this is unfair and he should be able to play soccer.
The classes he was assigned while he was there were completely too difficult for him. Jan Hernandez is fluent in spanish but has never gone to school there. He has lived in South Carolina ALL OF HIS LIFE. The fact that they expected him to pass HISTORY OF MEXICO is outrageous. Not to mention, he is not familiar with the metric system. This is why he also had difficulty in Trigonemetry and Physics. In my opinion, the south carolina board should have taken this into consideration before declaring Hernandez ineligible. They should look at his grades HERE and if they are question ing his effort to pass in Mexico. They should send ANY american student down to Mexico to see if they can actually obtain the same grades.
Posted By: rightmidhunt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 07:12 PM
i also agree with this and i think it is unfair...its not his fault.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 08:39 PM
So let me get this straight: He goes to Mexico, fails out of school, and then has to come back here? Is that the situation?
Posted By: rightmidhunt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 08:52 PM
i think he was hoping to play high sc hool soccer but i think he made the right decision coming back to the states b/c if he was hoping to go to college hes better off going to school here where he can actually pass a class.
i think it is also unfair hes just a kid he couldnt do anything
Posted By: greengrass Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 09:44 PM
While I sympathize with the situation especially related to the History of Mexico (my kids were somewhat unprepared for South Carolina history when we moved here some years ago) and I imagine Mexico has a different take on the Spanish-American war, too). Nevertheless, trig and physics is just math which translates very well across any language. You either have an aptitude for it or you don't. Dont know the metric system ... you've got to be kidding ... that doesn't pass the laugh test ... at least not mine.
Posted By: rightmidhunt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 10:13 PM
The metric system is the metric system..it would be a tough transition for any american student.
Posted By: cap'n walt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 11:19 PM
I've learned the metrix system every year in both of my science and math classes. It is very simple
Posted By: who_me? Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 11:42 PM
Just so I understand, how did he come to be taking classes in Mexico? How long was he away from South Carolina? Was he previously enrolled at Dorman? What were his grades like before he left for Mexico? More information please.
Posted By: rightmidhunt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 11:44 PM
well you cant even spell metric system. But the transition is hard
Posted By: who_me? Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 11:52 PM
Isn't METRIX the stuff weight lifters use made from bull testicles?
Posted By: rightmidhunt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/01/07 11:54 PM
He went to Mexico and he was gone for a whole semester...His grades at Dorman High School were good enough for him to be eligible to play but his grades in Mexico were not so good.
So why wouldn't they look at how he was doing at dorman the year before?
Posted By: sccoach Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 12:36 AM
On her deathbed, my mother took my hand. She said. "When I was a girl, I thought I could change the world. But as I grew, I began to believe that the world was an intractable place. I put aside dreams and gave up my hopes. It is only now that I realize it was well within my power to change myself—and therein, by a small degree, the world."

If you want to change the world, you can't sit on your hands expecting some higher authority to do it for you. You've gotta get out there and make things happen. As my mother taught me, converting to the metric system starts with the individual.

The United States is the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't use the metric system as its predominant system of weights and measures—a fact that many Americans besides me find ridiculous. But there's no point in whining that we would be better off if we switched to kilometers and hectoliters while you drive your kids to school in a car that gets 23 miles to the gallon. You're still part of the problem.

Do you think some government agency is going to magically sweep in and convert our cubic feet into cubic decimeters? People have been waiting for that to happen since the Carter Administration. Where has it gotten us? The Metric Act of 1866 may have made it legal to measure milk in liters, but down at the IGA, they're still selling it by the quart.

It's like Gandhi said: "You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees." If you truly believe that our current system handicaps American products and services in world markets, do something. Purge your bathroom of all products sold by imperial measurement and replace them with toiletries purchased from web sites based in European countries. It will cost a little more, but no one said changing the world was easy.

If you're a landlord renting an apartment by the square foot, you're part of the problem. Next time you place an ad, tout the rental space's spacious 78.965 square meters. If you're buying land, flat out refuse to purchase anything that isn't measured in hectares.

Sure, you'll meet some resistance. People will say: "We don't sell oats by the cubic meter." They'll trot out that old conservative standard, "If you want to be in the manufacturing industry, you have to buy steel by the ton." They might even claim that they don't know what a "tonne" is. Converting to the metric system is no walk in the park, but if you're serious about converting, others will recognize your commitment and join you.

Remember: The journey of a thousand kilometers starts with a single decimeter. We won the battle against spans and cubits, and we can beat the foot. And the pint and the pound. It all starts with the man or woman in the mirror.

So the next time "More Bounce To The Ounce" comes on your radio, don't just sit there snapping your fingers—call the station and demand to speak to the DJ. Insist that he play a new version of the song called "More Bounce To The 1.6 Grams," which you will record yourself in your basement and send him. Don't complain about how changes need to be made unless you're willing to make those changes yourself.

In this life, nothing good comes easy. Adopting a great system like the metric system requires sustained effort and personal sacrifice. Rest assured, you will benefit from a more practical and easy-to-understand system of measurement. And, when others see the ease with which you measure and weigh things, they'll be inspired by your example.

If you can't make the conversion to the metric system happen in your own house, how do you think it'll happen to an entire nation? Through the intercession of federal decision-makers who advocate phasing in the metric system over a several-year period? Pipe dreams. We know all too well what happened to the Metric Conversion Act of 1975, the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988, and the Savings in Construction Act of 1996.

It's like I'm always saying to members of my local AMA chapter: "You can't simply tell somebody that it makes sense to measure with a system that uses the distance from the North Pole to the equator divided into 10 million parts to constitute the meter. You have to show them. You know that the meter's measurement has become even more precise, currently defined as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second, but you can't teach the practicality of things like that. You can only lead by example."

If enough dedicated people do that, then maybe—just maybe—we can make the means by which we measure this crazy, cockamamie world that much more convenient for everyone. Now, would you care to join me?
Posted By: cap'n walt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 01:13 AM
i didn't say anything about me learning misspellings or typos...besides, it doesn't matter, i'm going to college next year.
Posted By: just4kicks Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 01:26 AM
The Metric System is Base 10 and is the easiest of the measurement systems to learn.
Posted By: rightmidhunt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 01:29 AM
but dont you think that it still would be hard to switch if you've been learning it a different way for your whole life.
yea i think that it would be very difficult to switch over to the other system......he should be allowed to play.
Posted By: James Gray Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 02:14 AM
Actually, when you go off to college, you will find out that any science class that is worth anything will be based on the metric system. Almost every class that I took that involved science used the metric system. Chemistry, physics, biology......all metric. So if you think that people are going to have that much of a problem, and that switching to the metric system is wayyyy too hard, don't go to college and take any science classes. You will fail!
Posted By: Lowerstate4A Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 02:19 AM
anyone else believe that rightmid and randomcoach are the same person?
Posted By: SoccerFanMan Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 02:29 AM
It doesn't matter if it's the metric system or not. It's all math. What does it matter if you have mph or mps on the end of the math is the same. As far as converting one to the other, if you can't figure out how to convert metric measurements to other metric measurement, then you shouldn't be allowed to pass the class. A 5th grader could do that.
Posted By: rightmidhunt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 02:40 AM
well dont you also think that if you've never gone to school in mexico and you dont know how to read or write in spanish, wouldnt it be hard?
Posted By: ehs1 Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 03:06 AM
Is mexico known for having a great school system?
are their universities known worldwide?

obviously he knew the laungauge

alot can be accomplished with alot of studying

metrics is not that hard, everyone learns it in america in math and science.
Posted By: 69boss302 Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 03:10 AM
personally i think that this is completely fair...i mean rightmidhunt said that he thought that Hernandez was hoping to play high school soccer in Mexico. Therefore, that being said, he chose to go over there hoping to accomplish that. That was his choice and he needs to accept the consequences of that. Him going back to Mexico to study school there after being in the United States for his whole life is like a study abroad program in college. In college although you are studying in a different country your grades there count on your GPA back in the states. Hernandez took the risk of doing that and now he has to reap the consequences of his decision.
2 things

1- how do you determine if an exchange student is eligible to participate? There are many playing in SC
2- SCcoach......WOW!!...that is all I can say WOW!!....
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 01:18 PM
Quote:

anyone else believe that rightmid and randomcoach are the same person?

He should just create an account called the randomright and save us the headache.

It is amusing though...
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 01:40 PM
sccoach......Classic!

lowerstate.....have you discovered a "sock puppet"?
Posted By: Comet Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 03:13 PM
Unfortunate.....yes, unfair.....no.

There was a significant thread about the NW situation I think last year.

Many lose sight of the fact that the rules are for all, not just the players that could impact the teams success.

Hurst, you're spending too much time on the NC sight with the sock puppet reference. Which one is the real one and which one is the sock puppet?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 03:23 PM
No idea.
Posted By: who_me? Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/02/07 05:08 PM
For what it's worth, I have spent small amounts of time in South and Central American schools over the past couple of years (although not Mexico and not in high schools). My impression is that state run schools are by in large strict, demanding, very structured, and in terms of content are often ahead of where my children were at the same grade level in their US schools. I can see any student coming from the US would have difficulty adapting. My belief: a student who was only 'doing good enough to play' academically in the US would have trouble even without the language barrier.
To me, what would be unfair is for him to have done well in the Mexican school and not be cleared to play here because of some bias against that school..
Posted By: Agoraphobia Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/03/07 05:10 AM
This is a bunch of crap. Its like me complaining because i failed my AP EUROPEAN HISTORY class because im not European. But wait a minute, I was in the class and I was there to take notes, and I think there was even a teacher who was available to ask for help. Now I take AP PHYSICS and AP CHEMISTRY, and they use the metric system. And im expected to know a millimeter is, and what a nanoCoulomb, and I have to make the change from miles/hour to meters/second, and from atm to torr, and kpa to mmhg. Yet I can still pass. If the kid has lived in SC all his life, whats the problem with learning the metric system, which I think in Newberry county (one of the worst school districts in the state) we started learning the metric system in third grade. and if he was taking these classes in Mexico, and he can fluently speak Spanish, there isn't a problem with the comprehension of the language being taught, so whats the question. Here is a kid who is apparently Mexican who failed some classes at Dorman High school, and now he can't play, im sorry kid, sit out yout punishment like all other American kids in many sports, not just soccer, who have failed classes.
Posted By: rightmidhunt Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/03/07 02:36 PM
well the difference is that he was in another country learning that stuff unlike you who was in a class full of americans who were in the same level of ignorance.
Posted By: who_me? Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/03/07 04:19 PM
From the 'Best Player in the State' thread in the ODP/Club forum, I gather that this kid went to Mexico because of an opportunity to play with a professional team’s development club, that he didn't like living in Mexico and returned to SC. Is this pretty much the situation?
was'nt he taking a chance by going to Mexico? What if it would of worked out for him there and he got what he went after...It seems to me it was more about choices and not whether this is fair or unfair
the situation was that he went to mexico during the summer and then he stayed. He's never been to school there and they put him in the regular classes and he didnt do so good. He came back to SC and now they wont let him play...
Posted By: Agoraphobia Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/03/07 07:44 PM
this is the same thing as a student at my high school who moved to ohio with he dad at the end of his sophmore season. during his junior season he moved back in with he grandparents in sc, the SCHSL declared him ineligible for a semester. He sat out basketball his junior season, and went on to become one of the better receivers in the state his senior football season, as well as a dominate center/forward on the basketball team. but im still confused what the big deal is here? the kid from greenwood moved to byrnes, to play football, and he was declared ineligible. both students were academically eligible, but because of their "address changes" they were ineligible.
so big deal lets move on.
Posted By: bearic123 Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/03/07 07:45 PM
how is someone supposed to pass any class over there when they never went to school in spanish..
Posted By: who_me? Re: Unfair Declaration of ineligibility - 02/03/07 09:01 PM
Sounds unfortunate for him, but he probably should have checked out what he was getting into better before he decided to stay in Mexico for a semester. Did he not know that the classes were going to be in spanish? Come on.
Also, I'd guess the training schedule for a pro affiliate team was pretty intense and I have to wonder if his attention wasn't more on soccer than classwork. The grades he got are the grades he got. He didn't like living in Mexico. He made a choice and it didn't work out. Move on. IMO Dorman did the only thing they could do.
Why should he be treated any different from other players that transfer? I know of several players that are sitting the bench this year due to inelgibilty because of transfering.
© SC Soccer