Dreher 3 Belton-Honea Path 1
OOPS! Dreher 4 Belton-Honea Path 1
AAA Uperstate
AC Flora 6-3 Seneca
Falcons will host the next round
In Blackville, Lower State 1A
Branchville 2
Blackville-Hilda 3

2-1 Blackville at end of 1st half. Branchville scored by way of an own goal in the second half to tie the game at 2 apiece. Blackville got the winning goal with less than two minutes remaining.
Irmo is up 1-0 with about 10 minutes left.....
BC 3 Marl. CO 0 at half
Irmo won 1-0
AA Lower State

Barnwell 6
Jasper County 1
Riverside 9 Chester 0
Northwestern 9 - White Knoll 2
AAA:

Daniel 7
Greer 1
Irmo Wins Game #1: 1-0
A - Lower State
@ GSSM

GSSM - 5
Bamberg-Ehrhardt - 2

B-E is a class team. That's good coaching.
Darlington 1
Airport 2

Great game. Airport scored in the first half off a long throw, barely scraped the Airport players head. The rest of the game was back and forth with both teams getting opportunities. Darlington scored to tie it on a beautiful cross with less than 10 to go. Had a chance to go ahead, but their keeper made an awesome save. Airport scored with just under 4 to go on a questionable play. From our perspective their forward was a good 5-10 feet offsides, but he got the ball and made the goal. We missed too many open opportunities to win the game. I am still very proud of the strides we took this season.
Academic Magnet 17
North 0

from what i saw in the stands, it seemed like magnet put their second string/jv players in 15 minutes into the second half. they started pulling players to make it 9 v 11 and still put some away.
I hear Hillcrest beat Greenwood 3-2, if that's true... Irmo fans will be happy to play the next game at home on Thursday at 7pm
Silver Bluff 6 Garrett Tech 1
Dorman 7
Wren 0
Buford 7
Loris 0
Greenville 6
Wade Hampton 0
Wade Hampton 5 Burke 3
Stacy
Woodruff 0
mid carolina 3
T L HANNA 2 SPARTANBURG 1 OT
Lexington 7 South Pointe 0
hanahan 3 aynor 1
Gilbert-5
Carolina-0
South Aiken 2 Rock Hill 1 PKs
Wilson 5
Strom Thurmond 2
Heard that TL Hanna beat Spartanburg 2-1 in overtime
Class 3A Boys First Round
Brookland-Cayce 9-1 Marlboro County
@ The Cage - Cayce, SC

***Match started 20 minutes late due to MCHS bus troubles
***3-0 at half
***Six Bearcats scored (M. Estrada Lopez 2, J. Guzman 2, C. Harris 2, T. Duzan, M. Guerra, C. Pinner)

Brookland-Cayce will either host North Charleston or travel to Socastee on Thursday for a Second Round playoff match.
The blonde-hair kid played very well for Irmo tonight.
Mauldin 7
Easley 2
stratford won 6-4. from what i saw, stratford had the intensity and the match from the first goal. that savage kid scored 5 goals. he's pretty nasty! a little slack at the end for stratford but overall was really good!
AA Upperstate

Abbeville 2
Pendleton 8

Pendleton netted it's first goal 30 seconds into the match, a second one a minute later and led 4-0 after 10, 6-0 at the half, and 8-0 after 50 minutes. To Abbeville and Coach Cozart's credit they never quit though and fought back for two goals midway through the 2nd half. Goals were evenly distributed between sophomore Zack Sears (scoring in each of the last 6 games for a total of 9 in that span.), junior Justin Scheide, and seniors Tristan Herbert and James Roper who each had two goals a piece. Junior Chas Culberson had 4 assists on the evening. Abbeville is a team with a lot of youth and they are constantly improving in this just their second year of play.
DF 15
Sumter 0
i agree, stratford dominated the fort the entire match even though they slowed down near the end. that savage kid is going places
Lincoln 12
Williston-Elko 0
wando score?
Chapin 6
Lakewood 0
Bluffton 5
St. James 0
Wando 2
West Ashley 0
Palmetto 6
Southside 0
anyone got a score on the summerville/james island match?
Beaufort 2
Goose Creek 1
anyone have a Eastside/Camden score?
Eastside 5
Camden 0
Thank you
Anyone have the Blythewood/Traveler's Rest score?

Thanks!
Andrews 2
Edisto 0
Batesburg-Leesville vs. Columbia?
West-Oak vs. Broome?
Walhalla vs. Chapman?
Spring Valley 11 Hartsville 0
Ridge View 2 South Florence 0
Summerville 4
James Island 1
Any word on W. Florence and Richland Northeast?
lexington southpoint game was very fun to watch. ha! lex played their second string almost the entire game and still made them look horrible. i think lex goes all the way from how they have been playing.

wk northwestern game was rough. nw came out incredible from what i was told and put a few goals away. but wk played very tough and put two away... both scored by paradise.. i think. that is what i was told. their back number 3 marked enzo and did a pretty good job. he is no maki but he could be the next! i got this from a fan that went so it might be incorrect... my apologies
really though any news on West Florence vs. RNE????
From today's Rock Hill Herald:

Northwestern - White Knoll

http://www.heraldonline.com/102/story/16593.html

Fort Mill - Irmo

http://www.heraldonline.com/102/story/16589.html

Rock Hill - South Aiken and South Pointe - Lexington

http://www.heraldonline.com/209/story/16601.html
Quote:

really though any news on West Florence vs. RNE????

All I know is that West Florence win in PKs.
from the SCHSL website:

AA Upperstate

West-Oak 0
Broome 4

Columbia 0
Batesburg-Leesville 7

Chapman 0
Walhalla 11

So no upsets on the first day, top 8 seeds in upperstate all held serve. Will make for a great second round.
W Flo. 4
RNE 3
PKs I suppose per Kyle.
Socastee 12
North Charleston 0

Socastee is looking foward to a good game with BC.
Blythewood 2 - 4 Travelers Rest
1-1 at halftime
any news on wando, beaufort, or stratford games?
wando beat west ashley 2-0 beaufort beat goose creek 2-1 and stratford won 6-4 i belive.
Quote:

any news on wando, beaufort, or stratford games?

Check out the S.C. High School Scoreboard for once -- http://216.27.84.134/findhighschoolsc07/.
West Florence won in Pks, RNE had a 2-0 lead at half but we blew it by giving up two goals on corner kicks and then went in to PKS. Good job by West fFLorence and good luck!

Goals and Assists for RNE
Amir Abdulaziz 2 goals
Thomas Tafel 2 assists
Well done West Florence.
Wando scored approximately at the 10th minute.
At the 36th minute, still Wando 1, DF 0.
Myrtle Beach 1
Chapin 1

20 minutes to go....
Lex 2 Dorman 0 (halftime)
Dreher 4 to 2 over Travelers Rest
2nd Round:
Northwestern 8 - TL Hanna 0
Chapin 2
Myrtle Beach 1
Final
Barnwell 3
Silver Bluff 2

Great game Silver Bluff!
1A 2nd round

Blackville-Hilda 1
AMHS 7
Palmetto 3
Broome 0
In Pawleys Island:

AA 2nd Round

Waccamaw 3
Wade Hampton 0
At Beaufort

AAAA 2nd Round

Beaufort 6
Ridge View 2
Lexington/Dorman final 2-0
2A playoffs

Emerald 6

Mid carolina o
any updates on wando/ dutch fork?
Eastside 3 AC Flora 1
Greenville 3 JL Mann 0
Riverside 3 Daniel 1 (2 min left in game)
Mauldin 2
South Aiken 1
Batesburg-Leesville- 6
Pendleton- 1

Walhalla/Gilbert?
No final but Wando was leading well into the second half.
Walhalla 6
Gilbert 1
Irmo 1
Hillcrest 0
at halftime.

Irmo in control of ball most of the half.
Buford 2
Hanahan 1

Rainy, rainy conditions...
Final
Wando 3
Dutch Fork 2
Final

Irmo - 5
Hillcrest - 0

Irmo dominated play during the entire game playing fluid attacking soccer while defending across the entire pitch. Well done and good luck against Mauldin on Saturday.
Recap on Wando game?
Final

Riverside 3 Daniel 1
Bishop England 9
Andrews 0
Nasty19,

WLTX will probably have a recap of DF/Wando on 11 O'clock news (courtesy of Charleston CBS affiliate WCSC, Channel 5)
Lexington 2
Dorman 0
AGF, That was worth repeating
Spring Valley 4-0 over Stratford
Any word on West Florence/Summerville?
Short recap on Wando/DF
10 minutes in Anderson goal, Burkholder assist
2nd half
Burkholder goal, Anderson assist
Shevlino goal, Burkholder assist
22 minutes left, Wando up 3-0; DF hadn't really threatened
Dutch Fork PK, Cates
15 minutes left, long DF shot, Wando keeper bobbles
exciting last 15 minutes, DF attacking, Wando defending
Any word on BC/Socastee???????????
Lincoln 8
Governor's School 0
What did I say...Dutch Fork needed to be wary of Wando...and you guys were ready to put the ring on Dutch Fork's finger. Once again a quality DF side underachieves.
Quote:

Final
Wando 3
Dutch Fork 2

So much for the hottest team in the state.

If I am correct DF is pretty much all seniors. I'm sure this is a blow to them.
palmetto 3
broome 0

great game, very dirty in the last fifteen minutes. 6 cards or so... score doesnt show how close it was, broome is a good team
West Florence 0 Summerville 1
No offense to anyone at DF-- they probably have some top quality individuals. But after running up a 15-0 score in the first round of the playoffs (assuming that post was correct) against an inferior side they deserved to bow out so early. Show some class in victory if you don't want karma to punish you.

Congrats to Wando.
the northwestern-lexington game is going to be another classic. this time they do it in front of northwestern's home crowd which always gives them a huge advantage come playoff time.
does anyone know how the bc/soc. game went?
or the nmb/wilson?

chapin beat mb 2-1. great game by both sides
I would just like to say great game to Myrtle Beach, you guys really took it to us for the first part of the second half. Once again, congratulations on a great season and good luck to you guys next year!
Soc 2
BC 1

Delayed many times, played for two minutes then delayed again. Then finally started, BC scored off Corner kick in first half.
Halftime BC-1 Soc-0. Socastee's Orlando Clark proceeds to score off PK, then Socastee's Justin Watson came back with two minutes left and scored.

Many Yellow Cards Flew... Mostly for BC though.
Socastee 2:1 Brookland-Cayce
Just Said, Socastee Won 2-1!
Quote:

the northwestern-lexington game is going to be another classic. this time they do it in front of northwestern's home crowd which always gives them a huge advantage come playoff time.

I think come Saturday, the Wildcats would love to return the gracious hospitality that the Trojans brought south with them last year.
Bluffton 3 Airport 2 PK's
PK's 4-3

Bluffton came back from a 2-0 deficet to tie it in regulation. Airport played a great game and it was a tough way to lose.
lex will bring their game and a large crowd
Quote:

Quote:

I think come Saturday, the Wildcats would love to return the gracious hospitality that the Trojans brought south with them last year.

maybe so, but i doubt it will happen.
Just know that come Saturday at 7PM...Northwestern's field will be packed.
like i said in an earlier post the wando warriors will beat dutch fork and win the 4a championship game over northwestern...they have so very dinamic players and solid defenders
I agree sideline24. Wando is a quality side but we will have to wait and see what happens.
according to 11pm news in GVL

CCES 7
Lewisville 0
Heard BC was overrated and Socastee should have had more than 2. Weather was bad for both teams. Heard Heise was so mad he forgot his unbrella that he got a yellow card.

:: W.O.M. travels faster than newspaper at night ::
Good game down in bluffton. Hard fought game i guess you have to hand it to bluffton for steppig up in second half but great game to watch very physical and one of the best games ive been apart of all season.
Has anyone heard the score of the wilson vs. nmb game?
NMB traveled to Wilson tonight for a 7 PM kick-off, at 6 PM just minutes from the field there was a very strong rain and hail storm, both teams met at the field and worked to get ALL of the standing water off for an 8 PM kick off, at 7:30 the South Florence AD gave us permission to use their field. Both teams traveled to SF and Wilson set up one of the goals including net on the field and we kicked-off at around 8:30, Wilson outhustled NMB in the first half for a 0-0 halftime score. NMB finally got a goal 12 minutes into the second half and were able to come away with a tough 4-0 victory. Wilson is a very well coached, first class team, with skill in every position. They never quite and if not for a few lucky NMB bounces, Wilson could have easily come away with a victory. Saturday night NMB @ Socastee for our third try to knock-off this very fast, Great coached team.
Quote:

like i said in an earlier post the wando warriors will beat dutch fork and win the 4a championship game over northwestern...they have so very dinamic players and solid defenders

I have Lexington going all the way. I don't see how come everyone is just giving Northwestern the upperstate. Irmo is also playing well and compared has an easy trip to the upperstate matchup. Northwestern is good, but Lexington's D has been top notch coming down the stretch and I think will match up even with Northwestern's attack.

I say similar to last game but I'm seeing Lexington 3 - 1.
Good game by Spring Valley against Stratford. SV possession was probably 80% and Savage had one weak shot from 30 yds. He may have had five or six touches all night. It wasn't matter of specifically denying him the ball, it was a matter of denying the whole Stratford team the ball.

SV/Wando (assuming neither stumbles Saturday) should be a good one.
Match report from Wando/DF in Chuck's paper:

Wando Holds Off Dutch Fork
Quote:

Bluffton 3 Airport 2 PK's
PK's 4-3

Bluffton came back from a 2-0 deficet to tie it in regulation. Airport played a great game and it was a tough way to lose.

Quick correction: It was Bluffton 3 - Airport 2 in PK's

It was a great match by both teams. Reffing was pretty good too. The center ref did a good job of calling it both ways. I'm definitely not going to get on here and say we lost because one call was missed here or the wrong one was made there.

Bluffton has a great team and it will be a good match for them on Saturday. The fans were pretty good on both sides and there was one Bluffton parent that stopped me on the way to the bus and complimented my boys. That was very classy.

Both teams wanted the match and both teams fought hard. I was very proud of the way that Airport played. Showed a lot of heart. Not a whole lot of people were expecting us to go this far.

Best of wishes to Bluffton.
Quote:

Match report from Wando/DF in Chuck's paper:

Wando Holds Off Dutch Fork

For the DF Fans:

Below is the coverage from "South Carolina's Newspaper", The State...

..."_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
I agree Happy. Good game last night btw the vikings and the knights. Savage had a decent game as did some players from SV (flynn?) Anyway, were proud of the boys from SHS and congrats on a great season! Best of Luck to SV as they travel to Wando on Saturday.
Quote from a Wando player: "The Dutch Fork players showed great sportsmanship on the field and after the game".
Quote:

Best of Luck to SV as they travel to Wando on Saturday.

Even better, Wando comes to The Valley! (Not forgetting that SV has to beat Summerville and Wando has to beat Beaufort)
These next few games are going to be very exciting. The Wando - Beaufort game should go to Wando however. I am saying Wando wins 3-0. But the Summerville - Spring Valley game could be closer. If Summerville brings their A-game, they could easily pull an upset. Although they are a little small this year, they have came out on top in several key games. Obviously Spring Valley will be the favorite in this game, but I personally would really like to see Summerville take the win here. I say Summerville 2-1 in pks. Good luck to both sides in both games!
Posted By: TER8134 ` - 05/04/07 01:12 PM
`
Agreed saturdays Shs Nmbh game is lookin to be close, a low scoring affair. Socastee has to be able to hold out a third time in a row
oops, thanks! Good luck to you guys and to the rest of the pack in the playoffs.
Been Around--
Thanks for the acknowlegement of the sportsmanship shown on the pitch last night at the DF/Wando game. A clean well played game by both sides that Wando deserved to win as they played very well. The Dutch Fork team is a great group of young men with not a "bad egg" among them (they excel in the classroom as well) who played hard to the whistle last night but unfortunately came up short.

To the 13 seniors who will be moving on to college--some to play soccer (and football-good luck Joey) and some to study and "enjoy" the experience of college, thanks for the awesome memories. If you keep the "passion" you have shown towards this great game in your work and study, you will all be successful in life.
Myrtle Beach 1
Chapin 2

even match except for a questionable PK but im not sulking about it. best of luck to chapin.

#1 on Chapin is a stud for holding the ball on the corner flag for a total time of 3 minutes.
Great game last night between BC and Socastee. Due to the conditions it was hard for both teams to play their game. Can't say it was a clean game or a pretty game, sure was a scrappy one. Both teams played their hearts out and there was a lot of emotion shown on the field. Hats off to the BC keeper (dont know his name)by far the best goalie I have played against all season. The BC team has a lot of depth and I am sure they will be a strong contender for years to come.
i heard the coaches from both teams stayed 30 minutes after the game was over because BC coach was protesting or something.

did i hear right?
yea he wasn't to happy with the PK that was awarded to Socastee. But it was a clear foul the keeper took out a Socastee player in the box from behind.
yeah, if its from behind then no question. who got fouled and who took the pk?
Trojans rout Hanna.

From The Rock Hill Herald:

http://www.heraldonline.com/102/story/16686.html
Indian Land 5, Fox Creek 0

From The Rock Hill Herald:

http://www.heraldonline.com/102/story/16689.html
Topher Pecora got taken out and Orlando Clarke took the PK
i would have let topher take the PK.

we got unlucky at chapin. Chris Leftis, our GK, did what a keeper was supposed to do and got the ball but unfortunately a Chapin forward ran into him and fell in the process. PK against us and it ended up being the game decider.
I heard that BC had a 4 hour hold over and got a "home job" from a Rec referee.
It was a very good game, close and exciting. I don't know about a home job (although that is what the BC coach kept yelling), but a keeper diving into and taking out someone with control of the ball from behind is a foul in any league. I'm all for aggressive keeper play by meeting the player with the ball and making a slide save but that was on the verge of dangerous.
Reality check: What coach or player has ever felt like their was "Home Cooking" going on? Everyone that has ever played has felt that we have all received a "Montreal Screw Job" at one time or another.

Nothing against B-C, but many have come away from B-C matches stating that there was "home cooking" at "The Cage". Bottom line is no one can make that assertion for truth unless they know that it happened for a fact.

Coach Heise is a very competitive individual and wants his team to do well and go far in the playoffs. What coach doesn't want that?
A keeper tackling from behind?!
question is, how did the keeper have a chance to tackle topher before topher got a shot off? im just saying, if the keeper is behind me, id be puttin the ball in the back of the net.

but im glad socastee moved on to the next round. you'll see me and a bunch of other MB boys at the socastee and North Myrtle game.
It would be nice if someone clarified this situation.

As diesel has pointed out..I can't really imagine after being beaten that a keeper could take the man down from behind ..and if he was dribbling away from goal (back to keeper) - why would the keep take him out?

Just not adding up..
Jack. You are a very wise man.

teach me your ways.
The turnout at the Socastee NMB game tomorrow night at 5:00 should be extremely crowded. I predict near to full stands; possibly on both sides
haha, i wish it was me who was out on the field. Its a rare thing nowadays to have even a section of fans show up at the MB games.

god bless the parents that support us as well as all the other parents for other teams but at MB, having fans that arent player parents come few and far between.

Except this past tuesday i convinced my 4th block teacher to come out to the game. He lets me get on scsoccer.com everyday. cool guy.
Chapin22 now that the game is over I would like to first of all congratulate you guys on a great game. But from your view do you believe that the keeper purposely took the Chapin forward out. I would love an honest reply, thanks.
It was a very competitive game last night in Socastee. We had a 2 and half hour lightning delay so both teams were affected. It was raining at the start but quit midway through the first half. Socastee had a couple of great scoring opportunities in the first half but great goalie play (and luck) was with us. Toward the end of the half, we had a corner kick opportunity but it was challenged by a line judge calling offsides. Since it was on a throw in, it was overruled which resulted in BC's goal. With a wet field there was a lot of contact not called, which resulted in some of the yellow cards being called (for verbal).
To Socastee's credit, it didn't result into players almost fighting or anything like that. It explains why the coaches reacted the way did in the PK call (with 16 minutes left in the game BC up 1-0). I'm not an expert but it was an unusual call that led to the PK. The winning goal was a great play by the Socastee kid just under 2 minutes.
I wasn't sure what to expect from the players and fans but it was a great atmosphere under adverse conditions. It was a hard fought game and the Socastee forwards are extremely quick and talented. BC played them well but you could tell we were wearing down and hanging on at the end. It's a shame the momentum swung on a controversial call (It looked like to me that a player took out our goalie on that play from behind) I'll have to see a video because no one in the BC stands could figure out what the call was. I have watched many soccer games the past 5 years and it seems like the refs are reluctant to call anything in the box that results in a PK, which is why we question why this one was called. Hats off to Socastee for pulling out the win. Congrats to our young team for battling and competing in a tough, challenging schedule.
Can anyone remember when "home field advantage" only meant you didn't have to travel away for the game?
5/3/07
Class 3A Playoffs - Second Round
Myrtle Beach, SC
SOCASTEE 2-1 BROOKLAND-CAYCE

Goals: (BC) Carlos Harris, 37:56; (S) Orlando Clarke, 64:02; (S) Justin Watson, 78:42.
Assists: (BC) Josh Davis; (S) none.
Shots: (BC) 7; (S) 16.
Saves: (BC) JC Gypin, 6; (S) Matt Berger, 2.
Corner Kicks: (BC) 1; (S) 7.
Offsides: (BC) 1; (S) 0.
Fouls: (BC) 13; (S) 14.
Halftime: BC 1-0.
Officials: Mike Miller (R); Gary Smith (AR); Ben Stookey (AR).
Weather: 75 Degrees, Rain, Breezy.
Records: BC (13-11-2); S (20-2).

Sorry this wasn't posted last night, but after all of the lightning delays and bus troubles on the way home, I didn't get to my house until 4:15 a.m. Congratulations to Socastee.
Quote:

Chapin22 now that the game is over I would like to first of all congratulate you guys on a great game. But from your view do you believe that the keeper purposely took the Chapin forward out. I would love an honest reply, thanks.

GKeeper08: I didn't really get a good look of the foul, but I will say, as a result the player from Chapin who got fouled now has a broken leg.
Tell your player that i'm really sorry and that was not my intention. It was a great challenge by him and im sorry that he had to break his leg. But best of luck to you guys for the rest of the season.
I will admit my 17 year bias for BCHS up front. But, in regards to B-C getting 'home cooking' at The Cage, someone better know some facts. B-C will play their hearts out at The Cage and if you've been there regularly, you will notice that home cooking is not the case. Dispute me with facts if you'd like. I also don't necessarily think it is a case of home cooking at the beach. I wasn't there and it may have been a bad call and it may have been a correct call ... I will reserve judgement until looking at the tape. Socastee isn't 20-2 for nothing. I'm not surprised at the score because JC Gypin is a heck of a keeper. But JC doesn't go out and foul in the box, so I just can't see it. A PK like this on foreign pitch belonging to a very good squad can completely change the momentum of the match.

But if you are going to tell me that B-C gets a bunch of calls, then I'm going to voice my opinion. In the EPL, you might see Man U get the call at Old Trafford, but in the SCHSL you won't see B-C getting every call at home. Someone better have some good facts to dispute this. High School referee's most likely do the best they can, but don't give me that line. Congrats to Socastee and best wishes for further success in the playoffs. And congrats to B-C juniors who, due to the talent over the past 4 years, haven't had the opportunities to endure the rough schedule and haven't had the varsity experience to progress further in the playoffs this season. This team has grown a great deal since the Carolina Soccer Classic this spring, and could work hard and continue to progress over the next 9 months and be a tough draw for opponents if they put enough into it.
mr easley hearing that jc gypin took down a player in the box doesnt surprise me. Based on the fact he tried kicking an airport player in the face when we played them at home when our player challenge a ball being kicked into the both and when we played at the Cage he also took out one of our players when he lowered his shoulder intentionaly as our player was pressuring the ball that was being played through to him so although jc is a good keeper he gets a lil dirty at times.
I'm just tired of hearing about BC. Let's face it all they do is play kick-ball. I don't care about them not having the same club opportunities or whatever other excuses you want to make. The facts are that BC hardly ever tries to possess the ball and look for the long ball every time. I'm also tired of hearing about JC Gypin. The kid is good but definitely not top 3 in the state. Also, Ahssoccer please be quiet. Airport relied soley on the flip throw of a mediocre player and I'm really just tired of hearing it.
Well I'll say that good keepers are a bit dirty and it's because they play with a chip on their shoulder and wish never to get scored on. You wouldn't really know unless you were one.

and welshwizard...who are you to tell anyone anything? why don't you just not read it or better yet read it and not post anything...basically shut your mouth. I see trash on here everyday and, I don't feel the need to post about it. Grow up a bit.
Welsh,

Hmmm...please don't take cheapshots at my players. I have asked them to keep off the boards for a reason. Your comment is case in point. The only reason I get on here to to check scores, report them and make sure my players aren't getting on this board. I have yet to post one negative comment about anyone. That "average" player you have described has signed with a D II school.
Matches and times?

Anyone have updates on matches today for boys?

It appears Greenville v. Eastside is slated for 7pm at Sirrine, correct? Other matches? Or any chance weather will postpone anything?
I heard Mauldin/Irmo may be in trouble
Who was the Chapin player who broke their leg?
Irmo vs Mauldin postponed due to Weather... Rescheduled to Monday at 6:30
Lex NW postponed til Monday 7PM
Eastside v. Greenville still on for tonight???
Chapin wins in pk's over bluffton
Spring Valley play yet?
Bishop England 11-0 Buford
Spring Valley 1 - Summerville 0

Tough defensive game with good keeper play at both ends. SV got the game winner (Freshman, Antoine Parris) early in the second half. He cut back off his right foot to his left and hit a beautiful curler from the edge of the box that went over and around the keeper into the far upper ninety.

The rain held off and the field was fine. Tough game. Go Vikes!
Scary that he's got three years left... is he old for a frosh?
any word on waccama vs barnwell
In Pawleys Island:

AA 3rd Round

Waccamaw 7
Barnwell 0
good luck against BE coach schoen
stacy
wade hampton
Socastee 2
N. Myrtle 0
surprise, surprise, surprise!!!
Quote:

Scary that he's got three years left... is he old for a frosh?

No - he's 15. He plays for the CUFC U-15 (soon to be 16) Elite team. He's a great kid (very humble and level-headed) and just keeps getting better and better on the field. He should be special.
Emerald 8

Palmetto 0
Anybody know what happened at wando?
Chapin v. Bluffton
Hard fought game by both sides. Good luck to Chapin in the playoffs.
I watched the Chapin-Bluffton game today, Chapin won 2-1 in pks. it was by far the dirtiest game of soccer I've ever watched, I don't think Bluffton ever won one clean tackle, almost every challenge was a cleats up slide tackle from behind or an elbow to the chest/face etc. Chapin appeared to be playing kind of scared, but I don't blame them, they had to resort to just kicking the ball down the field most of the game because it was too dangerous to possess the ball through the middle. Good luck to Chapin in the lowerstate finals against LS #1 Socastee, a team that hopefully will give u better, safer soccer
Wando BEATS Beaufort 2-0.
AA 3rd Round

Batesburg-Leesville- 3
Walhalla- 2

Game was 1-1 at the end of regulation. 2-2 after two 10 min. halves of overtime. 7-6 after pks.
Greenville- 3
Eastside- 0

Very good game by both teams. Greenville scored in the first five minutes on a shot from the top of the 18. Greenville dominated the first 5-10 minutes but when Eastside got settled in they had most of the possession and attack for the rest of the half. It was 1-0 after the first half with just a few chances for each side coming from corners and throw-ins. The second half was very even between both sides. Every time Eastside made into the final third they were stopped by Greenville's defense. Both teams made counterattacks but Greenville had the successful ones. The second half goals came on a 5 yard tap in and a break away. Eastside had the offside trap on the third goal but the offside forward left the ball for a midfielder running through. The difference was Greenville finished on their half dozen chances and Eastside did not finish the few they had or nearly had.
Greenville is not an unbeatable team. Although the score seems like a blowout it was a very even game. To beat Greenville you need to: counter-attack quickly when their defenders go forward for a corner or throw-in. And when they get the ball, make sure everyone tracks back to defend or else they could have a goal after a few passes. Don't let them have the counter-attack or more than often they will capitalize on it.
X-factor: without a doubt, Sebastian Velasquez. He wasn't unstoppable but he made a huge difference. On the first goal he recieved it at the 18, took a touch, and put it sidenet. On the second goal, he dribbled in the right side of the box and crossed it far post for a teammate to easily put away. The kid looked like a fool and almost missed the great cross. The third goal, I think he played a through ball to an onrunning Kleckley who had a breakaway and finished it sidenet. Sebastian was involved in all the goals not to mention how he keeps possession and makes good decisions. Greenville will need to play well to take home the Championship, but I think they will do it.

-cabj12
Good Report
Riverside 2 Dehrer 1 in OT
Wow...closer than I expected
Dehrer played a great game and their keeper did a great job for them...hats off to the Dehrer team.
dreher played very well and had a lot of supprt there and had about four really good chances to score before ot
Quote:

Who was the Chapin player who broke their leg?

The Chapin player that broke his leg was Michael Longshore. A starting Right Back.
ohh i heard he was a forward well im sure you no thats terrible and its a shame that SOMETIMES a referee doesnt give a yellow until someone gets hurt
In the game the player broke his leg he was playing forward and was running on to a ball as he and the keeper collided. It was a fifty-fifty ball and he ended up getting hurt. The referee did not issue a yellow card although he did give a penalty kick which most agree was not a good call.
Going back to the Wando/DF game... I was wondering if Danny Cates was hurt? I saw him sitting on the bench for the last 10 to 15 minutes in a 3-2 game in the second round of the playoffs. What was the cause for him sitting on the bench for so long?
Why did Dreher move to the Upperstate?
The SCHSL realigns every two years. Dreher, like many schools in the Midlands, swing from Upper State to Lower State quite frequently, though this was the Blue Devils first move from the Lower State since the late 1990s.
itsme,

Danny sat the last 13 minutes of the game because he used profanity and got a yellow card. Coach Quinlan refused to put him back in the game even though he apologized for the slip in the heat of battle. He even told the team he couldn't put him back in the game because he lacked ethics. He also sat Robbie Birnie during the year for the rest of the game and for an additional game for the same infraction. I guess when the coach cusses at the same player in the heat of battle at the Chapin game, it is ok.
That is probably one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. In the most important game of the season, Coach Quinlan sat one of his best players? What kind of ethics did he lack if he told the truth and apologized. I mean those kinds of words are going to slip and i guess he said that to a player in the Chapin game if i am reading correctly so how can he punish his players for that?
The Dreher-Riverside game Saturday was a great one for the fans. Both teams played their hearts out. Riverside's winning goal came with only 10 seconds left in overtime. As GVLsoccerdad pointed out, Dreher's goalie had a fabulous game. I also think that Byron Quinatoa showed that he is one of the best players in the state. Riverside is strong from top to bottom. I was particularly impressed with their forward #16 and one of the defenders (#10). Good luck to Riverside in their game against Greenville.
If he swore, Cates was lucky to stay in the game. There is supposed to be "zero-tolerance" for that. We had a player shown a straight red for telling a team-mate to not "f-in lay down" to our opponents. He didn't yell it, he said it. Even the AR didn't hear it. But...rules are rules.
I agree Coach Robinson! We had a player shown a straight Red and given two extra games because he told one of his own team mates to pass the F-in ball.
links5,
you may think it was stupid to bench Cates for such an infraction, but I think it shows an incredible amount of ethics for Quinlan to sit him. If there was a zero tolerance policy for this type of behavior, then the coach did the right thing. Sometimes it is better to teach a lesson than win a game based on faulty ethics. More high schoolers and other kids need to learn that they can't say anything they want, whenever they want to. Too many kids today just spout off without any thought of what could/may happen. I gave a card for dissent for an 18 year old spouting off to my AR in a Midwest Regional League game. For those that don't know, that would be state cup winners playing each other in the midwest. He continued to run his mouth until I threatened to toss him. It was only then that he decided that I was serious, and would not tolerate that type of behavior. More people need to lay down the law, and do the right thing. Good job coach Quinlin!
If any of you know the coach at DF you know this is not something he puts up with. It is good to see that he stood by his rules even in a play-off game. By some of your responces you want to bend the rules because it is a play-off game. It shows the kind of program he has. Rules are rules and I sure that all the players on that team know what happens if you behave this way. High School sports involve more that just winning, it is also about teaching children life skills and what is important in life.
More coaches should act like this in the heat of battle. Too many coaches would rather win the game then teach a star player a lesson. I applaud Coach Quinlan on this action...too many coaches let their players run all over them or their assistant coaches. This does nothing but undermine the coaching staff's authority. Any coach that lets a player cuss at him or anyone else and does not teach them some sort of lesson is not a very good coach in my opinion. As coaches, we should be building young men with great character instead of building great soccer players that lack character.
Well if RCates tells the story like it is, then I think Quinlan is a moron/jerk for not putting him back in. Sometimes words slip in the heat of battle. What if he got cleated in the shin and cursed out of pain. Should he still be sat for an 'involuntary' response. The fact that he apologized and still had to sit the bench is not fair. The zero tolerance policy is retarded. Soccerboy, you would say something like that because you are a ref. There is a difference between cursing accidentally and getting dissent TOWARDS a referee. And it shouldn't be highschool sport's job to teach kids what they can and can't say. I think that violates the free speech clause in the constitution. Even worse, this coach would be hypocritical enough to punish someone when they cuss but forget about when he cussed. I just think other forms of punishment would have been better in this case.
I agree with all of you on this. I just wish he would walk the walk while he talks the talk. Like I said earlier, I don't disagree with the benching. I do have a problem with him telling the rest of the team Danny had no ethics because he cussed. I also have a problem with Wayne cussing at Danny during the heat of the moment loud enough for me to hear in the stands. I guess you guys think its okay for him to cuss the player but to expect more of the players than his example during the Chapin game. Ethics are ethics, cussing is cussing. It shouldn't matter which cuss word you use, zero tolerance is zero tolerance. I do agree that if the referees had a zero tolerance across the board, this discussion wouldn't be happening. The biggest problem is inconsistent enforcement. Also, Wayne had a player that on 2 occasions yelled the f word loud enough to be heard in the stands. That player got no additional punishment beyond what the referee handed out. That was a few years ago. I just think you send a mixed message when some can cuss, you can cuss but you still have a zero tolerance for others.

Once again, I don't condone the language on the field. I just wish the coach was consistent and the referees were consistent.
Mr. Cates, let me preface this comment by saying that I've always enjoyed watching Dutch Fork play throughout the years and know that you have had several sons play at DFHS. I only saw Danny this year at the Palmetto Cup and he was excellent.

However, the PK loss to Riverside that day kind of sums up my perception of the Silver Foxes (close but no cigar). Why is it like that at DF? And, why is it that the whole senior group is the same way whether it be high school or club? Seem to be underachievers (much like the Spring Valley group of the 1990s). I know because my son was there and my nephew played for the same sort of teams at Lexington then (similar story).

Would love for you and other DF supporters to weigh in. Congratulations on a great year anyway.
Cola Fan,

I think that for any team to be successful, you have to have two things.

1) A leader (coach, player, etc) that has won before and knows how to win.
2) People on the team that are willing to listen to that person and the desire to play together to make it happen.

I think that Irmo is the perfect example. I have seen Coach Savitz take a player that was average before he played for Irmo and turn him into an awesome player. I have seen him take middle of the road temas to the finals. He knows how to win. The main thing is that he demands and has earned the respect of everyone that comes thru there. Winning begets winning. It is truly a mindset, that you are supposed to win every time you step on the field.

I am not sure what was missing, but I will admit I thought that group of seniors would be more successful in club and in high school. They are all great individuals that will go far in life, it just didn't work out on the pitch.
This is in response to cabj12.

Vocalization of the english language is a learned behavior. As such, it is not an "involuntary" response, such as the gag reflex. The fact that more and more people think it's socially acceptable, makes it no less wrong to others.
I'll second what coach Robinson, Jackson, etc. have commented on Coach Quinlan. What he did in that Wando game was based on his good principles whether you agree with him or not. Certainly there's more to the story that what's been posted on this board and that's the way it should be. Whatever happened is the individuals' and team's internal business and it should remain that way.
Hats off to Coach Quinlan and the rest of the DF team on a fine season.
in response to Coach J and clemsonfan3, what kind of program has Quinlan built? He certainly has had the players, but hey he can't get the job done year in and year out. If you look at Irmo Savitz has turned average teams into state champions. Will you please stop giving him so much credit for having good teams.
Whether you like the "zero tolerance" rule or not it was mandated by the SCHSL this year. We had one langauge card this season and it was a red for abusive language directed at one of our own players.

Wayne was consistant, both times he had the problem he dealt with it the same way. I realize that DF was very good and maybe thought they should have gone further. Had they won would this even be a issue? If the referee gave a red like they are supposed to do would this be an issue? DF would have played with only 10 at Wando!

The criticism of DF's coach seems a bit shallow to me! Was there criticism when they beat Wando? Same team ,same coach!

DF's coach is well respected and to be critical of a coach with the record DF has had really comes across as just sour grapes. Congrats to DF on a great season and maybe everyone will learn a little from this issue!!
Woa woa woa Crabb, people may not have complained after the first Wando game, but that was a huge win for the program. The players won that game and to be honest have won all the games this year without a strong coach. If you asked any DF players whether they would rather play club for Adrian Pinasco or High School for Quinlan who do you think they would have picked. These kids have suffered because of the lack of a good strong leader for a coach.
RCates
Before you go on here blasting a coach in a public forum, maybe you should attempt to take care of what problems that you two have behind closed doors. You yourself have a reputation as not being the most level headed kind individual that you are attempting to protray on this board. Before you, or I go ahead and make it personal, I would suggest that you take this discussion elsewhere so that you and coach Quinlin can talk in private. This is not the place or the forum to be discussing such things. Be an adult and learn to discuss such things at the correct time and place. Having a son or two that are very good at soccer does not give you the right to act in certain ways.....
This is not the proper forum to discuss the issue of a coach or a HS program, or even the conduct of a player or his dad. Its not fair to all parties involved. I do not think this forum was meant to be used as a platform to oppose or condemn an individual person(s) or a HS soccer program. Its obvious there are personality issues here and they must be dealt with among reasonable people.
Soccerboy...I'd have to agree with you here. The way that son and father conducted themselves during their loss to Riverside in the Palmetto Cup showed their true colors. I use to enjoy watching Danny Cates play soccer...not anymore.
Most people can remember a person in their life (usually a kid) that has done this same thing. They try to win other people over to their negative way of thinking by bad mouthing someone. If you really cared for the team, you would be trying to build them up instead of tear them apart. In my personal opinion, I think this thread should be locked as I too don't think that personal insults are welcome or wanted on this website.
Half time score:
Mauldin - 1
Irmo - 0
RCates, thanks for the response. Seems a firestorm has started because of your comments. Whether you disagree or agree, it makes for pretty interesting conversation. That being said, I think we both agree that the DF seniors have underachieved in all of their soccer endeavors.
Final score from SCISA Class 3A Quarterfinals ... Cardinal Newman 7-1 Northwood Academy ... The Cardinals claimed their 20th win of the season and will face the winner of the Ben Lippen @ Porter-Gaud match on Wednesday in Columbia ... Congratulations to Coach Will Eudy, Asst. Coaches Benjie Poston and David Faulkenberry, and the CN team on the victory!
Final score from Class 4A Quarterfinals ... Northwestern 4-0 Lexington.
any update on the irmo-mauldin game
Mauldin- 1
Irmo- 0

Final
rematch of last year in upper and lower state. Should be interesting as Mauldin and Wando seek revenge
Final score from Class 4A Quarterfinals ... Mauldin 1-0 Irmo ... Northwestern (24-3) @ Mauldin (16-6) on Wednesday for Upper State Championship.

The Lower State Championship features Wando (23-4) @ Spring Valley (19-7).

This sets up an identical rematch of last year's Semifinals: Northwestern 2-1 MAULDIN; Spring Valley 2-1 WANDO.
everyone needs to back off RCates, you all are not involved in the situation and need to get off his back. The situation at DF is bad, really bad. And what team are you talking about for DF? Do you realize there is no team anymore? There will be 5 people returning next year if people decide to play. So i say good luck to Quinlan, let's see if he can win without that much talent. I'll go out on a limb and say he won't be able to do anything with them.
There's nothing worse than soccer players that won't play because of a coach. If you love the game and it's as bad as you say, you play despite the coach and keep your mouth shut. That's what real men do. Maybe this will open the door at DF for kids to play that WANT to play.
Very interesting... I Guess history repeats itself for the most part after all.
i agree with soccerfanman and even if you do want to play soccer still df is near chapin and is somehwat close to irmo.. two quality soccer schools if ure good you can play there with quality coaches...
and apparently that is what might happen to what's left of the returners. I have heard people are leaving to go play for premier coaches, which will hopefully give them a better experience than DF. And you know what, after 4 years of keeping the mouth shut, those DF seniors sure have every right to voice their opinions. They kept quiet for 4 years all for nothing.
MostDef (and others like you) -- I think it is you that needs to back off Coach Wayne Quinlan at Dutch Fork. This attack on him is totally uncalled for. As coaches, WE all know that we can and will be second-guessed and questioned -- much as I do with the coaches of my favorite teams! But, these particular personal "attacks" are unwarranted and certainly not called for in this forum.

Coach Quinlan has been a cornerstone of the soccer coaching profession in SC for more than 24 years. He has been active in the SCHSSCA, serving as President and currently heading the Columbia United FC "Clash of the Carolinas" NC/SC All-Star event. Coach Quinlan has always stood for all that is "right" in prep athletics and I am grateful to have worked with him, coached against him, and most importantly learned from him, over the past 15 years. I consider him a mentor and more importantly a friend and confidant.

I find it simply sad that folks have wanted to attack his character -- which is far above mine and most that I know!

I congratulate Dutch Fork on another outstanding season and wish Coach Quinlan and the Silver Foxes the very best in the future.
why is this thing a big deal anyway. no offense to cates, who i believe is their best player... but right when he came off is when DF became alot more dangerous. they had more chances in the last 12 minutes than they did the entire game.
The S C H S L has a zero tolerance policy for profanity.All coachs were reminded of this at our rules meeting. It is disappointing that the Offical didn't make the correct call. It takes a man of principal to do what Wayne did. If anyone thinks that he didn't want to beat Wando they are sadley mistaken. I agree that it shouldn't be fought on the website, but Wayne followed the rules. We all have guidelines to follow and he did his job. This is the part of coaching that is very distastful when people try to tear others down.
you guys don't understand cates muttered it under his breath on the sideline. He did not cuss on the field, it is not what he was carded for.
If anyone would like to watch the video you can see that every player on the field heard the "under his breath" profanity. I was told be the keeper that he heard it from the other end of the field.
OK cool.
Where's the video then?
sorry to ruin yall's talk but what was the score of the Spring Valley/Wando game?
Irmo 0

Mauldin 1

Worst ref's i have seen this year. Mauldin scored in the first 3 minutes of the first half. This was Mauldin's first chance. There was a big switch and a Mauldin player took a touch and found another Mauldin player who had his back facing the goal, he turned and shot. I could tell that Irmo was not playing their best soccer but they were still all over Mauldin in both half's. Unlucky for Irmo better luck to them next year.
Good effort in the game tonight boys. Keep up the hard work during club season and prepare for an exciting 2008.
What is this CUFC "Clash of the Carolinas"? Something new I guess. Good luck South Carolina, we might need it.
SV Wando is on Wednesday
From Soccerboy...
Quote:

RCates
Before you go on here blasting a coach in a public forum, maybe you should attempt to take care of what problems that you two have behind closed doors. You yourself have a reputation as not being the most level headed kind individual that you are attempting to protray on this board. Before you, or I go ahead and make it personal, I would suggest that you take this discussion elsewhere so that you and coach Quinlin can talk in private. This is not the place or the forum to be discussing such things. Be an adult and learn to discuss such things at the correct time and place. Having a son or two that are very good at soccer does not give you the right to act in certain ways.....

How is it that I find myself agreeing with a referee? And, last time I checked SC law, parents could opt to send their children to any school in their district (if there is space available - which Irmo has...) so, you may certainly choose to drive your boys to Irmo or Chapin to play....you wouldn't be the first.
Another homefield where the fans/students can be a huge advantage?!? Go, Vikings...let's goooooo...but, be nice.
RCates, here is a hypothetical situation for you...you're a parent who is trying to teach your child that smoking pot is bad, and unacceptable behavior. But, wait, you remember that you smoked it when you were much younger. Based on YOUR earlier logic, you can no longer expect your child to not smoke pot, because you did it once (or more) at some point in your own life.

That is simply ridiculous.

As a parent, you can apply this to anything - just because you have made mistakes yourself, does not mean that you can no longer expect the proper behavior out of those under your responsibility.

If you think that every coach your child has should be, or is going to be, as good as Coach Savitz, you are setting yourself, and your child up for major disapppointment. NOW is the time you should be teaching your child that things are not always going to go his/her way - and, when things don't go the way you want them to, sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on.

Maybe you need to redirect your blame to where it belongs - with yourself.
What time is SV and Wando? This should be a great game!
I have to pull for Wando but anything can happen. I not sure of the score but it will be a low scoring event. Good luck to both teams.
From this mornings Greenville News...

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/PREPSPORTS/305080001/1002/SPORTS
RCates thats poor to air out dirty laundry on this message board. I think Danny is a big enough boy not to have his daddy fight every little battle for him.
Quote:

Irmo 0

Mauldin 1

Worst ref's i have seen this year. Mauldin scored in the first 3 minutes of the first half. This was Mauldin's first chance. There was a big switch and a Mauldin player took a touch and found another Mauldin player who had his back facing the goal, he turned and shot. I could tell that Irmo was not playing their best soccer but they were still all over Mauldin in both half's. Unlucky for Irmo better luck to them next year.

I see London, I see France....I saw a ref with ORANGE underpants.....
Quote:

Woa woa woa Crabb, people may not have complained after the first Wando game, but that was a huge win for the program. The players won that game and to be honest have won all the games this year without a strong coach. If you asked any DF players whether they would rather play club for Adrian Pinasco or High School for Quinlan who do you think they would have picked. These kids have suffered because of the lack of a good strong leader for a coach.

Am I missing something? I don't think this club team won any sort of championship last fall.
Isn't it funny how the same four teams from last year's AAAA Semifinals are in it again? Except the home field advantage is reversed I think. Mauldin will surely be aiming for some revenge against NorthWestern, and Wando will bring their A game to Spring Valley. I'd kinda like to see a rematch of the state finals with a different outcome. Go Vikings!
Manchester,
Do you have any insight into why Irmo has been slipping the last couple of years?.I know it's not the coaching. Good luck next season.
J Chill,
The upperstate final was at Mauldin last year also.
From what I have heard and unless things have changed it is all about CLUB soccer. I think Coach Shelly and Nicky coaching Club soccer is a good thing. The upper state has really picked up its game. Not that it was really BAD it just seems to have improved BIG TIME! Columbia schools are not walking over anyone any more. Back in the 90's Irmo was always knocking on the door of the state championship. I am sure they will be back there again real soon. Coach Phil is one of the best and will find out how to over come these difficulties.
Hopefully Mauldin will be as successful at seeking revenge against NW as Lexington was lastnight
Sorry but Mauldin better just get use to watching the State Championship. If the same NW team comes to play on Wed then Mauldin does not stand a chance
Sorry, London,
not a player, never have been, and too old to start, now! I don't even have a "dog" in this fight....I just love the game....but if I happen to see any Irmo players/coaches I will pass on your best wishes!
And, I sit in the "AMEN" section on the latest subject...congrats to Lexington and Irmo for FINE seasons, and I hope #10 is okay (always hate to see any player get hurt!). Good luck to Wando, SV, NW, and Mauldin - play hard, but play fair!
As for Irmo's team of late....Coach Savitz is probably just reloading for the next 27 years! The past 2 years have been tough, and the younger players don't always give everything they have to the game - they sometimes get "distracted"?!?. But, I wouldn't count them out, yet....they may grow up and into the "Tradition" soon.
As for the antics of the young ones on this board and on the field...I believe it has been noted that "foolishness is bound up in the hearts of children"...so let us old folk go forth and use our rods and staffs and beat it out of them! (P.S. I DID see the ref's underpants, and they WERE orange!! )
Yea, Mauldin probably will get beaten badly unless Hoover can have a amazing game in goal. I'm sure Irmo is just lacking some of the great talent that they had earlier in the decade. The upperstate has always been powerful and will continue to be. I think the coaching of Shelley or Finotti has only surfaced. Most of the talent the past couple years has come from other great coaches in the upstate. But Riverside and Eastside has loads of kids from Shelley's and Finotti's team and it is showing now and will be seen in the near future. I am betting Riverside will win next year and Eastside the following year.
Hoover has been doing unreal as of latley so i guess mauldin will be hoping for a good game from him and a couple lucky bounces
thanks and yaknowdat13...GO WANDO!
I'm going to choose not to comment on the DF situation although there is much I could say, but I WOULD just like to say that there is no need to question these kids desire to play soccer or their passion for the game. They underachieved the past two years and that is very easy to see, but I hate to see people questioning their passion and desire to play. These kids have endured a lot soccer wise. I think the "close but no cigar" really sums it up. There club team has lost in the semi finals every year since U-14. Once in PK's. Twice in overtime and Twice by a single goal. I am in no way trying to make excuses because you obviously have to be able to close things out, but these kids know better than anyone that they underachieved. I am sad for all of those kids because most of them never even had the chance to play in a state championship. Quality soccer players and individuals.
All programs go through periods of excellence, mediocrity and yes rebuilding as talent pools ebb and flow. The team this season had three, maybe four seniors and a lot of young talent. The 2007 team played exceptionally well against many fine opponents with talented older players. I can tell you that all of the youngest players on the roster this year are CUFC Elite players and there are more coming up next year. Based on what I know is in the pipeline, I think it's safe to say you'll be seeing more State Championships from Irmo in the near future.
Also in response to sweet feet's question about Irmo, Irmo was extremely young this past season. They started two seniors, two juniors, four sophmores and three freshman. I still believe they should have beaten Mauldin but they will need to improve in several areas if they want to continue to grow. Just because they were young doesn't mean automatic success for next season. Lexington will be very experienced as well in the region and I anticipate it will come down to those two teams for the region championship next year. I don't think Coach Savitz would like to think of this as a rebuilding year as this past team was very talented, yet they just couldn't seem to put it all together all the time.
Does anyone know the game time that Wando and Spring Valley are suppose to have if the weather hangs off.
The game is at 7 p.m.
SV is bringing in extra stands anticipating a large crowd.
It is surprising that all four of the same 4A teams are back in the semis. I think most are not as talented as they were last year but they're back nonetheless. Congrats to them.
4A Boys -- 22' left, Northwestern 5-2 Mauldin (N 2-1 M @ Half)
3A Boys -- Halftime, Socastee 1-0 Chapin
10'left, Riverside 2-1 Greenville
no way...i cant believe Greenville is actually down...good stuff Riverside!
Final score from the Upstate: Northwestern 6-2 Mauldin ... The Trojans will play in their fourth Class 4A State Championship match in the past five years on Saturday at 7 o'clock ... Northwestern lost in 2003 and 2004 to Irmo in the State Finals, lost to South Aiken in the Upper State Championship in 2005, and edged Spring Valley last year ... The Trojans will meet the winner of the Spring Valley/Wando match.
any update on the Riverside/Gville Game?
2nd Half - Socastee 3-0 Chapin, 18' left.
2nd Half - Socastee 4-0 Chapin, 12' left.
If Riverside wins, Finotti is a magician.
SV 1 - 0 Wando halftime
GO VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!
SCISA Final -- Cardinal Newman 3-0 Porter-Gaud ... Congrats to former Brookland-Cayce soccer standouts Will Eudy, Benjie Poston, and David Faulkenberry on guiding the Cardinals to the State Finals!
SV 2 - 0 Wando - Final

SV keeper red carded
Greenville 3
Riverside 1

Greenville dominated the game and made Riverside look like a JV team. I guess the Finotti curse lives on.
Red-carded? After a 2-0 lead? That is bad news for the final v. NW.
wait one post says riverside was up 2-1 howd the lose a goal?
He posted the wrong score. Riverside scored off of a PK, which was the lone goal.
Sorry, bad joke
Emerald won 2-1 against Batesburg-Leesville. B-L played a great game. They represented themselves well and their performance was classy and deserving of a trip to the state finals.
Quote:

Sorry, bad joke

Thanks to that erroneous post, you are now banned! Hope you enjoyed the experience at SCSoccer.com!
Since no one is going to comment on the chapin/socastee game let me be the first.

1. Why wasn't BIG OLE HAYES in the net? Greg De Mare was terrible tonight. I mean really does he think he can beat Justin Watson to the ball? Most fast vehicles can't let alone a 5'6 white kid. Seems silly not to play the region player of the year at the position he's best at. That, combined with the absence of Chapin's back really contributed to the beating.

2. Why did Greg De Mare try to beast up on one of the Socastee players down 4-0 with no time left on the clock? I mean was he trying to showboat down 4-0? Doesn't make much sense.

3. Justin Watson is very very fast (period)

4. Bobby Belair is really freakin good.

5. Joey De Mare is really freakin good too he just needs some polish which will come with age I think.

6. Socastee's strength is that they can attack with virtually three people. All they need is a setup man and those two forwards do the rest. It's really unbelieveable.
what the hell are you talkin about Soccer fan man ...you must be one of those dumb greenville fans who doesn't know anything about the game...we had more possesion in first and second half, tons more long throw ins , missed 2 wide open opportunities at the top of the six ....and frankly the 2nd and 3rd of Greenville's goals were absolutely lucky ...2nd goal was off of about fifty deflections landed right for a player to finish and still almost got saved....third goal was last 6 min from a free kick 30 yards out deflected off of one of our players heads in the wall and spun in(otherwise would have gone right at our keeper)....this game very easily could have gone into overtime, Greenville just happened to get some luck on the game tonight...that being said they are a very good team and should be credited for a great season, they were by far the toughest team we played
Thank you shut^&play....
Lincoln 5
Academic Magnet 1

Halftime was 1-1
I wonder if Terence Deas is all-state now?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO LINCOLN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Greenville did dominate. Greenvilles first goal was placed upper 90 by manning rushton, assisted by sebastian. Second goal greenvilles substitute chipped the keeper, assisted by sebastian. third goal sebastians free kick was deflected in the goal but was still a good shot. it could have been worse, with 2 minutes left sebastian had a break away and tried dribbling the keeper but took too big of a touch... riverside got lucky on that one. riversides goal was a very very questionable hand ball call for a pk. other than that riverside didnt really have any good shots on goal to test the keeper. Greenvilles about to have the PERFECT SEASON
I was at the chapin-soc. game and in reference to the comment about the goalie "beasting up" the soc. player, I would have to disagree. Soc was already up 4-0 and there was a 50-50 ball inside the eighteen and the Soc player went in elbow first. Chapin being down 4 goals was full of emotion and yes demare should have held back, but Soc. should not have been trying to score that badly with less than 5 min to play. But anyways good season for chapin and good luck to soc. representing lowerstate saturday.
Any details on the Lincoln v.s AM game?
I hope I am getting the final score right...Socastee beat Chapin 4-0 or did they score another goal?
1st goal was legite ...2nd goal there was no way that was a clean assist, bounced off 3 defenders then the kid shot it right at josh and josh tried to parry it over the goal but it was so weak that it went a foot over his head and in the goal....third shot was going right at josh with little pace but got a lucky deflection.....and yes we did have to wide open chances at the 6 ...so again easily could have been a different game with the bounce of the ball
no the final was 4-0
Quote:

Since no one is going to comment on the chapin/socastee game let me be the first.

1. Why wasn't BIG OLE HAYES in the net? Greg De Mare was terrible tonight. I mean really does he think he can beat Justin Watson to the ball? Most fast vehicles can't let alone a 5'6 white kid. Seems silly not to play the region player of the year at the position he's best at. That, combined with the absence of Chapin's back really contributed to the beating.

2. Why did Greg De Mare try to beast up on one of the Socastee players down 4-0 with no time left on the clock? I mean was he trying to showboat down 4-0? Doesn't make much sense.

3. Justin Watson is very very fast (period)

4. Bobby Belair is really freakin good.

5. Joey De Mare is really freakin good too he just needs some polish which will come with age I think.

6. Socastee's strength is that they can attack with virtually three people. All they need is a setup man and those two forwards do the rest. It's really unbelieveable.

I guess my prediction was not too far from accurate. I posted on the 3A Semis board that it would be a 3-1 game in favor of Socastee. I guess I gave Chapin a little too much credit. Anyway, best of luck to Chapin next year. Way to go to Socastee and its players, its time to go to State and earn a win over Greenville.
soccerfanman and barc09,
ya'll are way off. Greenville did NOT dominate this game at all. The game was pretty even, both teams had some good possessions and a bunch of chances. PK call was definately questionable but it did hit his hand so.. Riverside had plenty of chances from throw-ins and free kicks where they could have scored. Greenvilles keeper made plenty of saves or grabs in the six so Riverside was coming at goal. Greenville had a bunch of chances too and most came off of their attacks from midfield and throw-ins. 2nd goal should of been saved and the ball was bouncing around like crazy. 3rd goal would have been saved if it wasn't deflected I think, but it could have been going side net...very good shot.
And WOW Sebastian could have scored AGAIN on his breakaway in the final two minutes...dang Greenville must be really good cause they could have scored 4 if they wanted to. Good call you moron...when you are down in the final minutes you go forward to try and score so it is retarded to say this was a great chance because it wouldn't have happened if Riverside had people in midfield and more than TWO people in the back. Basically it was a good game, and could have went either way if Riverside could have finished a chance in the box or their keeper saved the shots he got his hands on and almost had. So you are way wrong when you say Greenville dominated. They played very good and deserved to win but your comments were disrespectful to Riverside and the good game they played. As I said, Sebastian would be the difference.
Quote:

Sorry, bad joke

"Bad boy, bad boy....whatcha gonna do when Kyle comes for you...bad boy, bad boy..."
Christ Church - Southside????
CCES 3
SCS 0

Not sure if I even saw a shot from SCS. CCES hit the bar 3 times in the first half. Bunker defense. Last 5 to 8 minutes of the first half, 11 SCS players inside their defensive 20 yards from the goal.

Halftime score 0-0
I saw the game last night, (Chapin and Socastee) in my point of view it was a hard fought battle one team had the better of the chances because little errors made by the Chapin team all night. Most part of the game The Eagles had the ball and it was just not there night..Socastee, when they had the ball last night they made something out of it. Chapin looked down after coming close to scoring several times and then giving up a goal on a questionable hand ball that a lot of the fans thought should have been called. Also, this is the reply for shutup&play...The Greg Demare situation was hard for Demare to come out on...from the stands it looked hard for him not to just a tough mistake. For Joey DeMare, this kid has a lot of talent. Looks like he got frustrated after getting scored on but seems when him and Haze were up top DeMare was creating scoring opportunities. Then Chapin started changing people. David stone and DeMare dont get enough of the ball to help the team out in need.. I look forward to seeing Joey play next year. Socastee is a good team this year. A lot of speed that took over Chapin's defense. Watson is very quick. Another good player was Bobby? he won almost everything in the air.. Good game unfortunate score.
First thing is first, Socastee is a hell of a team. The better team definitely won the game last night, regardless of how bad Chapin played and how many mistakes they made. I think that Justin and Orlando is one of the best parings I have ever seen in High School soccer. On the other hand, Joey DeMare for Chapin, a player with amazing talent that showed tonight has absolutely no one to work with. David Stone was taken out of the game by the Socastee midfield. I think David would have been better off up front with DeMare that game. As far as Greg DeMare having a terrible game, I think you are seeming to forget the 3 or 4 great saves he made in the first half to keep his team 1-0 at half. Second half Socastee's forwards were just too much for a young Chapin back line and it showed. With the exception of the one mistake by DeMare on the 2nd goal the 1st, 3rd, and 4th goals were all simple 1v1 with the keeper goals. Great job to Socastee and good luck against Greenville. Good season Chapin.
This article is fairly accurate. It was a good, even first half, but Lincoln was strong in the second half. Terrance scored 2 headers off of throw ins and their defense held AMHS in check.

http://web.charleston.net/news/2007/may/10/deas_steed_power_lincoln_back_state_title_matchc/

Good luck to Lincoln this weekend.
Good Luck to Lincoln in The State Championship!!! We'll be routing for ya!!!
god dern lincoln bout to ask christ church if they got that new get in my car.
Quote:

CCES 3
SCS 0

Not sure if I even saw a shot from SCS. CCES hit the bar 3 times in the first half. Bunker defense. Last 5 to 8 minutes of the first half, 11 SCS players inside their defensive 20 yards from the goal.

Halftime score 0-0

Im sorry mabby you didnt see the 1st half when scs had chances to score. SCS played a great game and will be even stronger next year.
Good luck to Lincoln Saturday in the State Championships
cabj12, i thought you gave a very good report about the eastside greenville game, and had some good knowledge about how to beat greenville. however, i dont think im a moron for saying greenville dominated... because they did. i know what yall are talking about with the opertunity in the 6 but the riverside player didnt even know the ball was comming so it just bounced off his shin and out of bounds. the greenville keeper made every save and every save was pretty much right at him, i dont think he had to dive or anything. Josh however had to make some good saves to keep his team in it... like mannings sliding shot a few minutes after his goal for example. And about the break away... thats true everyone does start pushing up to try to score at the end... thats how greenville got 2 goals against eastside to make it look like a blowout. Greenville won 3-1 a nice 2 goal cushion and all im saying is it could have been more. Greenville is the BEST team in the state by far. And their #1 in the nation. have had 3 goals scored on them and 2 of which were PK's and one in a 12-1 blowout. Im not a greenville fan at all but i give respect where respect is due. and its due for greenville. Riverside is a good team and was the favorite at the beginning of the season. Greenville just is in a different class of their own
i agree with barc09
Good point Barc09. I understand how you can see that Greenville dominated from the perspective that they had much better chances, actually had goals, and put more pressure on the opposite keeper. Yeah Riverside had a lot of play in the box but it didnt result in any great chances other than a few, I think I remember a couple headers at goal. But when you say someone dominates a soccer game, I think about Riverside touching the ball every five minutes maybe while Greenville possessed the ball and moved it around the field. THIS was definately not the case, even if you think so. It was about equal, you know 60 or 40 percent for the teams maybe. Riverside put a bunch of passes together to go forward and got the ball down the sideline. Greenville also had their moments where the would go through midfield and get forward with it. But neither team dominated THE PLAY of the game. Greenville certainly had the better chances but they did not dominate the "soccer game as a whole". They are the best team in the State by far though, in 3A anyway.
your on crack barca ... cabj and I were not only talking about the chance that bounced off of his shin ..but the outside mid had a wide open chance at the 6 in the 1st half....Possesion even, chances maybe a couple more to Greenville , and the luck factor was way in Greenvilles favor last night...yea the game could have gone a couple more goals Greenville's way,but it very easily could have gone Riverside's way....i really don't understand how you can say a team is BY FAR the best team in the state when they get two lucky deflection goals
Quote:

They are the best team in the State by far though, in 3A anyway.

Yeah, I didnt mean by far. Nonetheless, the best team in the state.
Quote:

Quote:

They are the best team in the State by far though, in 3A anyway.

Yeah, I didnt mean by far. Nonetheless, the best team in the state.

It is only fair that we determine the best team in the state by the team that wins the Championship game on Saturday. Until that time, we won't "really" know will we...
ive played my whole club career playing with darwin, terrance, nick, and preston. and while i was in a cast and couldnt play when myrtle beach played lincoln and MB lost, it was very easy to see that its not lincoln going to the state finals: its those 4 players who collectively make up that team.

Club soccer has changed those 4 players lifes forever without a doubt.
Well I don't think those four players could beat Christ Church. You probably don't contribute much to the team when you're out of your cast though.
I think its going to be a great game....both teams have about 4 to 5 great players and the rest just mediocre players, Christ church's Armen K. is maybe the best player in sc....i really would like for someone to see how many times he touches the ball in this game and how many times he turns it over(not to mention very skilled and an unbelievable strike)...but playing against darwin and terrence for the last couple of years proves to me that those guys have alot of heart.
any scoring updates
Game postponed until Monday night at 7:00 due to weather
this is not a highschool V playoff score but i will have to say that Garrett Lay from Irmo is definatley one of the best defenders in the state. he has made the allstar game and i can not wait to see him play unbelievable. I would love to see him smash in a header.
he is a very strong player. His talent has grown over the past few years and he has turned out to be one heck of a defender. If I could pair him with Rushing, that would be insane. I'm also hoping he will put one home in the Clash of the Carolinas.
© SC Soccer