SC Soccer
Class 1A State Championship
Christ Church 2-1 Lincoln
Well, so far I'm o for 1. Congrats to CC on yet another championship.
5pm and no 2A or 3A score??
2A went into overtime.... all I know
14 minutes left in the 1st half @ Porter-Gaud:

CN-0
PP-0
BE 1
Emerald 1

BE wins in PKs 3-0

3A game is postponed due to T-storms.
GO CN CARDS!!!
Typical (I guess you can say that) Championship win for Bishop England.

Possession was largely in favor of BE from the 25th minute (when I arrived) to PKs. Both goals were scored before I arrived. Not sure how BE scored, but Emerald scored on a freekick bent around the wall.
In past 2A Finals where the Upperstate has been victorious (Chapin & Emerald) there was not only a more possessive game plan, but also a hunger for the ball. I lost count of the times BE either beat an Emerald player to the ball or took the ball off an EHS player. I'd like to think it was fatigue, because these kids are all about heart.
Anyway, looks as though that will be the only match I'll catch today (rain delay for 3A and work at 6pm) - congratulations to both sides. A physical, but clean encounter.. crazy the Cogburn family resemblance, I didn't even know AC had a brother but it didn't surprise me when they called "Matthew Cogburn" during medals. Again, congrats to both sides. I don't know what Emerald is retaining, but hopefully they keeps some of that core and build something around it. Cheers.
BE should have to play in 3A.
Socastee - 0
Greenville - 0

Approx. 20 min. in, Rain Delay...

FYI,

Emerald missed their chances in the Pk's

Congrats to the Bishops...

Congrats to Christ Church...

3A update at the half....
I think this is a topic for another thread, but I personally feel they don't belong in public play at all. I know they've been there since the dawn of time/inception of the SCHSL, but this is 2007.
It's a pretty simple scenario - you're a private institution, play those that are held to the same criteria.

That being said, some of my favorite HS matches as spectator were EHS/BE and Chapin/BE a few years ago. The whole public/private thing really adds another element to what is generally a "mismatch" as far as skill is concerned.

I've made an effort to attend the 1A Final since 2001 for the sole purpose of seeing a public school finally win it - you can make the same comparison to the Lowerstate never winning 3A.

Etc etc etc..

Anyone know if play has begun back at Stone? I know I saw a lightning bolt around 4:40..don't they have to wait a certain amount of time before resuming play? It stopped raining about twenty minutes ago but I can't speak for when the last lightning bolt was spotted in the campus area.

Edit: Need to type faster!
Quote:

Emerald missed their chances in the Pk's

Absolutely, one good save from the keeper, then one over the crossbar and one off the post. Have to give yourself a chance!
good point 2004 striker...something i think would be very good for sc soccer, that would improve the play of our players in general, and make the regular season and playoffs more competitive would be a possible relegation system...put maybe the top 20 teams in a top division and people would play eachother based on region just the same as now, do the same for a 2nd and 3rd division..just an idea

what time are the games getting going
Somewhere around here is a detailed relegation system that Heise dreamed up. Looks great, but not likely to fly with the SCHSL.
At the half...

Greenville - 2
Socastee - 1

Justin Watson scores for Socastee..., but Greenville finishes the half with 2...
13 to go in 3A

Greenville - 3
Soacstee - 1
Final

Greenville - 3
Soastee - 1

Congrats to Greenville...

And a special Kudos to our boys from the coast (Socasstee)...
4A Northwestern vs Spring Valley...

Game had barely started and lightning halted play. Less than a minute had elapsed before game was delayed...is still delayed at this moment.
I would like to comment on Bishop England. Although they are the state champs and i have only seen them play today, i am shocked at how there are 7 all-state players on their team. Maybe only 2 or 3 deserving. How is emerald who technically "tied" BE today only have 2 all state players. I feel not that emerald should necessarily have more all-state players but BE ,who will no longer be a power house in 2a cause they wont win next year(just thought i would throw that in), should have less players. The point i am making is that they are not heads and shoulders above all 2a teams which means neither should the all state team loaded with their players. Anyone agree or disagree
Has play started back up?
Match stopped at 12 minutes in. Players warming up now for the re-start of play.
Emerald I thought did well, next year they will still have agreat chance to win a championship,they have the two kids who made all state coming back and they have some young players who didn't get a chance to show their skills today but will have a chance to make a difference next year.They loose some guys but the young freshman and sophmores have some great soccer skills and that could make a difference.
Good Luck next year emerald!
4A Championship match is postponed til Monday due to inclement weather in the area...
does anyone know the final results of the cardinal-newman vs. pinewood prep game from earlier today?

i dont think it's been posted yet
Bollocks. The championship should be decided by video games then.
wait nevermind someone just did
Pinewood Prep 3 Cardinal Newman 1
i heard three cardinal newman goals got called back true?
not true...only one...scored off a sick indirect kick that hit off the post and went in...not really sure why he shot...maybe hoping for a rebound
© SC Soccer