SC Soccer
Posted By: thewall63 SCISA - 12/10/07 10:54 PM
Just wondering who is going to be dominant in SCISA with a lot of seniors leaving i am interested to know what yall think
Posted By: welshwizard Re: SCISA - 12/11/07 05:49 AM
i think Hammond has a great chance of being one of the best teams in SCISA this year. They have 11 seniors or so this year and only lost 2 or 3 last year. Also, with Adrian Pinasco, you have one of the best coaches in the state, so I would give them a fighting chance this year.
Posted By: hollywood Re: SCISA - 12/11/07 05:21 PM
I agree, Hammond in a cinderella story this season
Posted By: chadbrochill Re: SCISA - 12/12/07 11:01 PM
I don't know about "cinderella story" haha but I'd say Hammond will at least take their region
Posted By: adidasoccer7 Re: SCISA - 01/12/08 12:07 AM
doubt it, CN is still going to be good
Posted By: Cayman Re: SCISA - 01/14/08 04:58 AM
CN will not be that good. They lost the whole center of the field. Mid, stopper, sweeper, and keeper. Look for some other team to win the upper. As for lower, we all know who that will be.
Posted By: Darnell Re: SCISA - 01/22/08 05:18 PM
who knows we all thought cardinal newman was going to have an off year last year too
Posted By: Bear Re: SCISA - 01/22/08 08:05 PM
Not sure who you are considering in your group of "all", but I thought that CN was ranked at #2 for most of the season last year.
Posted By: Cayman Re: SCISA - 01/23/08 11:18 PM
You are correct Bear. Pinewood and CN stayed #1/#2 all year. Both ended up in the finals. I don't think it will turn out like that this year though.
Posted By: patos8 Re: SCISA - 02/18/08 02:52 AM
Hammond starting off the pre season well, defeating AC flora 2-0 and Dutch Fork 1-0
Posted By: scballa Re: SCISA - 02/18/08 04:00 AM
yes i do think hammond will be very good....i have seen jordan troyer ( hammond senior and member of CUFC 89 Elite this season) play and he is absolutley nasty..if he doesnt bag atleast 30 or more goals..ill be n shock
Posted By: 803 Re: SCISA - 02/18/08 05:28 AM
ive seen jordan play as well but i think 30+ goals is a little much for him; also styles harper was on that cufc tem as well, he is a very good player and those two will lead hammond's team this year
Posted By: soccer5 Re: 803 - 02/18/08 05:52 AM

Anyone got any details on how the Hammond v. Dutch Fork game went? I was shocked to hear that...

Flora was missing a few starters and played poorly...
Posted By: charles9 Re: 803 - 02/18/08 03:19 PM
and you have to look and jordans little brother that is playing for hammond. he is small but he plays much bigger than he is. count on him having and impact in all the key games this year.
Posted By: soccer2103 Re: 803 - 02/18/08 03:43 PM
I was at this match as a spectator. ACF was a few players down but they played about as good as expected. do not be fooled by the 2-0 finish, Hammond was nothing spectacular therefore I would not bet on them to win the division. they are solid on set plays, especially throw ins in the box. Both goals scored on set plays with less than 20. So please do not hype up Hammond, they are not that good. Extremely weak in the back. As for ACF, who was the better team in my opinion and any neutral fan would agree, it is going to be a long rebuilding year for them after losing 12 seniors although they should still finish 2nd in region.
Posted By: soccer5 Re: 803 - 02/18/08 05:03 PM
Good post...Injuries arent helping the Flora team either after losing 12 seniors
Posted By: chadbrochill haha wow - 02/19/08 01:57 AM
hammond was hardly at the top of their game either being the first game of their season. Being a 3a school you should not have to be on the SCISA thread justifying a 2-0 loss to a private school, i dont know who else your playing this year but good luck with that
Posted By: soccer5 Re: haha wow - 02/19/08 02:11 AM

Im not justifying the loss...Flora didnt capitalize on chances and Hammond did...That simple
Posted By: soccer2103 Re: haha wow - 02/19/08 01:23 PM
I am not knocking Hammond, I am just saying it wasn't exactly a blowout. I expected that match to be a lot worse for Flora. That being said, I am not saying ACF is spectacular bc obviously they aren't. You are right, it is just an exhibition and I am sure both teams will progress over the year.
Posted By: soccer2103 Re: haha wow - 02/19/08 01:27 PM
And the Lake Murray Tournament will be a great measuring stick for Hammond, especially the Chapin match if it works out. Both teams have a lot in common, Chapin's defense is their weakest part of their team. Great keeper though. God luck in that match.

As for Flora, good luck, brutal schedule.
Posted By: patos8 Re: haha wow - 03/12/08 02:31 AM
Hammond 9
Augusta Christian 2

Hammond 5
Ben Lippen 1
Posted By: Bear No Talk - 03/14/08 03:13 PM
Strange year.

No talk of Ben Lippen this year, but more importantly no talk this week at all about the CN - Hammond game tonight. Is the schedule right, or are people just being coy?
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: No Talk - 03/14/08 03:14 PM
No, it's tonight, should be a great game!
Posted By: Bear Re: No Talk - 03/14/08 03:22 PM
That's what I was thinking too, which is why I'm surprised. Normally all the SCISA talk is from the Columbia area anyway, but this year seems really quiet.

Should be a good one in the low country tonight too with Pinewood traveling to BE. The last few years, with the exception of 1 (1 goal win), all of Pinewood/BE games have gone to PKs.
Posted By: patos8 Re: No Talk - 03/16/08 10:56 PM
Hammond 4
Cardinal Newman 3

Hammond scored in the last few seconds of the 2nd overtime
Great game by both teams
Posted By: patos8 Re: No Talk - 05/02/08 02:37 AM
any thoughts on who should win it for scisa?
Posted By: sidenet Re: No Talk - 05/02/08 11:58 AM
Hammond OR Pinewood....50/50 ball here.
Posted By: Bear Re: No Talk - 05/05/08 02:38 PM
Playoffs start tonight:

Pinewood hosts Ben Lippen
Hilton Head Christian hosts St. Josephs

Hammond hosts Northwood Academy
Cardinal Newman hosts Porter Gaud
Posted By: aces Re: No Talk - 05/05/08 08:33 PM
Hilton Head Christian will not host St. Josephs because of SCISA stupid rule of if you are more that 180 miles, you must play at neutral site, so the game will played somewhere in Columbia and with very few fans.
Posted By: Bear Re: No Talk - 05/06/08 12:36 AM
Pinewood - 2
Ben Lippen - 0
Posted By: oldskoolpinewood Pinewood 2 Ben Lippen 0 - 05/06/08 12:37 AM
I heard Cardinal Newman and Porter-Gaud were delayed by lightning. I assume the same for Hammond and Northwood.
Posted By: patos8 Re: No Talk - 05/06/08 02:32 AM
hammond 8
Northwood 1
Posted By: longtime Re: No Talk - 05/06/08 02:41 AM
Looks like Hammond and Pinewood will be favored to advance as Cardinal Newman has to travel to Pinewood. This should be Hammond's year.
Posted By: ARichardsonSC Re: No Talk - 05/06/08 02:41 AM
Cardinal Newman 3
Porter Gaud 1

CN plays at Pinewood Prep Wednesday
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: No Talk - 05/06/08 03:01 AM
SCISA 3A Quarterfinals

Hilton Head Christian 0:4 St. Joseph's Catholic
Posted By: BDad11 Re: No Talk - 05/06/08 04:52 PM
Until somebody shows me they can beat Pinewood,they are the favorite in my mind.
Posted By: oldskoolpinewood Re: No Talk - 05/06/08 08:13 PM
Quote:

This should be Hammond's year.

If you said this "could" be Hammond's year or "might" be Hammond's year, I could or might agree with you. "Should" is awfully strong language given Hammond's last two playoff meetings with Pinewood:

May 9, 2007 Pinewood 7, Hammond 0
May 8, 2006 Pinewood 10, Hammond 0
Posted By: longtime Re: No Talk - 05/06/08 10:03 PM
Would anyone consider a 2-0 win over Ben Lippen IMPRESSIVE!!!! Let's face it Ben Lippen is weak.
Pinewood will have a hard time getting past Cardinal Newman on Wednesday. The only advantage they have is home field. Cardinal Newman may want it more. Hammond's offense is greatly improved and everyone is healthy, In the past 2 years Hammond suffered through numerous injuries and those scores have absolutely nothing to do with 2008. let's look for Cardinal Newman to win a close one, 3-2 at Pinewood. Hammond will beat St. Joes 3-1. If the championship comes down to Hammond and Cardinal Newman it should be a very good game, down to the wire.
Posted By: Bear Re: No Talk - 05/06/08 10:32 PM
Quote:

Hammond 8 Northwood 1 Hammond played subs the majority of the second half.

I guess it's better to post a score with the amount of time the starters played to give an accurate indication of a game. I however, think that tends to rub it in the face of the opponent, but to each his/her own.

I'm sure those that matter with respect to either Hammond or Cardinal Newman, coaching staff that is, aren't going to put too much stock in the Ben Lippen scoreline. If that were to happen, home field wouldn't be the only advantage for Pinewood. (Which by the way, I disagree with anyway, but, that's why they play the games.)
Posted By: oldskoolpinewood Re: No Talk - 05/07/08 02:08 AM
Quote:

Would anyone consider a 2-0 win over Ben Lippen IMPRESSIVE!!!! Let's face it Ben Lippen is weak.

I would consider it exactly as impressive as Hammond's 2-0 win over Ben Lippen last month. Or was Ben Lippen not as "weak" three weeks ago?

Comparing scores against common opponents is NOT the best way of predicting a match. Two teams may match up very differently against a common opponent than they would against each other. That said, I note that Hammond "only" beat Northwood 8-1 when Pinewood beat Northwood 12-0 earlier in the season.

I do think Hammond has a decent shot at de-throning Pinewood as 4-time SCISA champions. After all, a good chunk of Pinewood's team is 9th and 10th graders. I just think you need to go out and earn it rather than rather glibly proclaim that it "should" be your year.
Posted By: patos8 Re: No Talk - 05/07/08 02:39 AM
i dont think any sensible coach or player would see pinewood's win as a weak one being only 2-0, you cant base anything off of a score or assume that they are a weak team. Its a win and thats all that matters. But in my opinion i think Hammond will meet Pinewood in the finals. Pinewood is tough to beat while playing in a marsh
Posted By: patos8 Re: No Talk - 05/07/08 02:40 AM
so i dont think cardinal newman will be able to pull it off
Posted By: oldskoolpinewood Re: No Talk - 05/07/08 03:04 AM
Quote:

Pinewood is tough to beat while playing in a marsh

Futbol and football teams across SCISA will be happy to learn that the "marsh" is being filled beginning next week. The existing field was built by parent volunteers nearly 20 years ago. They were not trying to build a home field advantage as much as they were trying to get the job done while spending as little money as possible and NOT getting bitten by a rattlesnake. The new field will cost than those parents could have ever imagined.
Posted By: Bear Re: No Talk - 05/07/08 11:32 AM
patos,

Honestly, after watching Pinewood play for 5 years now, this is the first time I've heard of their field being referred to as a marsh. Interesting point of view, and one that I hadn't thought of before.
Posted By: sweepit Re: No Talk - 05/07/08 07:18 PM
Is Spearman still playing Keeper at the "Swamp"? I saw the equipment out there today and some trees cut down, looks like some serious renovations going on out there.
Posted By: oldskoolpinewood Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 01:14 AM

Pinewood 2
Cardinal Newman 1 (OT)

CN's only goal was on a PK resulting from overzealous goalkeeping.

JD Spearman has left the swamp and is goalkeeping on Riggs Field in God's Country.
Posted By: Bear Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 01:46 AM
I heard St. Joseph's beat Hammond?
Posted By: patos8 Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 01:47 AM
yeah st joes won 1-0
but it was a very weak pk call with about 15 minutes left in the game
Posted By: sweepit Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 01:48 AM
I'm glad the Cheese is finally gone, I think he played there for about 13 years. The Sweet kid will probably be there for 15, is he in high school yet?
Posted By: sidenet Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 01:57 AM
SJ,s midfield played well tonight...better than Hammond's They won most 50/50s and beat Hammond to the ball most of the time. Poor officiating and SJ dives proved to be the nail in Hammond's coffin. Good Luck SJ!
Posted By: oldskoolpinewood Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 02:48 AM
Sweepit:

Joe Sweet is, I believe, a ninth grader now.

Alright, maybe he's in eleventh.
Posted By: Will Eudy Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 03:52 AM
Congrats to Pinewood on a well played game and good luck in the finals
Posted By: HeTakesPictures Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 11:12 AM
Congratulations to Cardinal Newman on a great season!

And congratulation to Coach Eudy, one of the best coaches I know.
Posted By: Comet Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 09:24 PM
Sweepit,

That Sweet kid has been there that long? I guess he's been there longer than most of the current varsity athletes, even ones that left and came back.
Posted By: Bear Re: No Talk - 05/08/08 09:46 PM
Will,

It was good to see you last night. Your boys executed your game plan very well. It was a nail biter to watch.
Posted By: oldskoolpinewood Re: SCISA AAA Champions - 05/10/08 09:23 PM

Pinewood 2
St. Joseph's 0

Congratulations to Pinewood for claiming a 5th straight SCISA AAA championship despite losing 8 starters from last year.

Congratulations to St. Joseph's for a tremendous run in the playoffs and a tremendous first 55 minutes or so today. St. Joe's is as fundamentally sound as any SCISA opponent Pinewood has faced in the last 5 years. Malcolm Reed's goal about 15 minutes into the 2nd half got in the Knights' heads though and they started playing with desperation too early making unnecessary fouls, etc. The second goal came very late with no one other than the keep home playing defense. On the whole, a very well-played and well-officiated match that showcased a lot of talent (particularly at midfielder and defender on both squads). This game was as well-played and fun to watch as last year's final between Pinewood and Cardinal Newman was neither.
© SC Soccer